home
RSS
May 20th, 2010

Jenny Sanford: Surviving sex scandal with faith

From HLN's Lisa Sileo and Mike Galanos:

South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford was back in the news recently, trying to rekindle the romance with his “soulmate” Maria Belen Chapur. The governor’s affair broke up his 20-year marriage to Jenny Sanford and threw her and her four sons into the midst of a political sex scandal.

She was forced to live this betrayal - her nightmare - in the media spotlight, in front of the entire world. Yet through this family heartbreak, she emerged stronger.

We still wonder how she got through it all. Her answer: Faith.

Mike recently sat down with Jenny Sanford to talk about what she clung to in those darkest hours, how she helped her boys learn from the sins of their father, how she kept her grace - and how she learned to forgive.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Faith • Politics • Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. Motoryzacyjne informacje

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was once a amusement account it. Glance advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep in touch?

August 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  2. Prawo jazdy

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right. This submit truly made my day. You cann't consider just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

August 27, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  3. Long dress, prom dress, wedding dress... 10% off

That is very fascinating, You are an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to in quest of extra of your wonderful post. Additionally, I've shared your site in my social networks

August 27, 2012 at 3:08 am |
  4. Cathy Nichols

Jenny Sanford is an inspiration and model parent all of us can learn from. For all of you unbelievers There is a workbook written by Henry Blackaby EXPERIENCING GOD I would recommend that you find out for yourselves if there is a GOD and take this course. God bless you Jenny

June 1, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  5. Cameron

I think it's fascinating that so many of these comments are from folks who claim to have no faith. It's no accident that they are hanging around the "belief" blog. If it's not real, why do you care?

May 25, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  6. Jusus

Oh Crap, a man risk all he has for a little love on the side, This little miss perfect must have been doing something wrong, or not doing nothing at all. Really get sick of blaming the man all the time. So let's cann the BS if a man leave home, and seek comfort somewhere else the problem is he's not getting what he want at home, and the laws are totally against him. Marriage licenses should come with a no fault clause, meaning I keep what I got, and you keep what you got, we call it quits and everyone's happy. It should also have to be renewed every 5 years.

May 23, 2010 at 6:58 am |
    • Michael Wong

It's not hard to convince a woman to do the things necessary to make you happy. You only need to do the things necessary to make HER happy, and she will reciprocate.

Unfortunately, this blindingly simple revelation is beyond your grasp, so you think the solution to bad relationships is adultery and no-fault divorce.

May 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  7. Acharya Girish Jha

Happiness is a state of mind and also the consciousness. when we experience happiness through mind – it is changing and disappear as the cause of that happiness is lost. if happiness is a state of consciousness , it is eternal, never changing needs to rediscovered deep within beyond body, life and mind

May 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  8. TJ

Guess we all live in glass houses, huh

May 22, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  9. karen

wow, I am sadly surprised at how critical many of you are about this woman. She seems to be a basically good person who is working hard to manage a very difficult time in her life. Her faith is very important to her, and is helping her – how can you be so negative and critical? She is not asking you for anything. Have some grace and compassion....you may need some too one day when your world falls apart.

May 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
    • Michael Wong

I have plenty of compassion for her. But I also pity her; her reaction is not much different from that of an alcoholic who crawls into the bottle when his marriage dissolves. She has a crutch, and when things go bad, she leans on it even harder.

May 23, 2010 at 2:14 am |
  10. Michael Wong

People do need something to cling to when their lives fall apart. It doesn't mean that thing is necessarily healthy.

May 22, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  11. mary kiraly

You're known by the company you keep. Tell me who you sleep with, and I'll tell you who you are.

May 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  12. Azariah

Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certainly what you do not see now all faithless atheists ,you have eyes but you do not see, you have ears but you do not understand .Without faith it is impossible to please God so you will never understand this talk.

May 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
    • pockets

There is no god, so enjoy your lives. just accept responsibility for your actions. Stop making idiotic statements about an invisible diety like Zeus. What utter stupidity, its from the dark ages. Must be a follower of the palin school of philisophy. LOL. Dinosaurs roamed the earth with humans...rightttttt...

May 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
    • Michael Wong

You do realize that "faith" is just a nice word for "conviction without a shred of logic or evidence", right?

Yes, it's true that you cannot "please God" without faith. It takes faith to believe in him at all, because there is zero objective evidence for him.

May 23, 2010 at 2:13 am |
  13. KOG

Perhaps some of you do not understand that she belongs to an unshakeable Kingdom with an unchanging King. Go Jenny, you have a firm root in yourself and now that you face affliction and persecution you will stand for you understand the Kingdom of God. Seek to please God, not men. You are storing up treasures in heaven by forgiving and moving on.

May 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  14. Sue

Wow ! If I had know faith would make responsibility obsolete, I'd have converted a long time ago !! "Honey, did you cheat on me?"......."Yeah, but now I have faith...".........."oh. ok. I love you again......." Life would be SO easy !!

May 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  15. bjones

Please do not attack the victim

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  16. DMX

I GUESS JESUS ISNT REAL AFTER ALL, GOD IS A JOKE! LOOK AT THIS SAD OLD WOMEN!

May 21, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  17. concerned

I'm very glad that she is not afraid to use the statement of faith keeping her. Faith is powerful and you never know what can happen when a person uses it.

May 21, 2010 at 7:56 am |
    • Sue

Yeah, like they could get away with murder if they play the "faith" card........well done !!

May 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  18. SC voter

SC hates this witch... we wish she would just go away.... Miss Personality – NOT Just a women scorned looking for fame and fortune from the public. Sandford should have left her years ago. I feel sorry for the kids.

May 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  19. Trash

Oh please, she is as much a politician as he ever was. Each of us have our own strength, faith or whatever you call it is only a device for our inner selves to prove their strength. Not god, jesus, mohammed or fsm.

May 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  20. ;D

I wish I could use faith as a coverup, too. Guess I'm too busy taking responsibilities for my own actions.

May 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm |