home
RSS
May 20th, 2010

My Take: Everyone chalk Mohammed?

Secular students chalked smiling stick figures on campuses labeling them 'Mohammed;' Muslim students reacted by adding boxing gloves and re-labeling the drawings 'Muhammad Ali.'

Editor’s note: Greg Epstein, an ordained Humanist rabbi, serves as the Humanist Chaplain at Harvard University. He is the author of the New York Times bestseller “Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe” and chairs the national advisory board of the Secular Student Alliance.

By Greg Epstein, Special to CNN

If I told you groups of atheist and Muslim students around the country have been breaking out boxing gloves, and the outlines of bodies have been marked in chalk on the ground, you’d worry, right? And you should, though fortunately it doesn’t mean anyone has been physically hurt yet.

Rather, it means the latest in a series of controversies over drawing the Prophet Mohammed has arrived: “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day,” scheduled for Thursday, May 20, has gained tens of thousands of online followers, riling fears and anger on many campuses.

iReport: Why I choose to draw Muhammad

This spring’s 200th episode of the always irreverent “South Park” included the Prophet Mohammed disguised in a bear mascot suit. A fringe website called Revolutionmuslim.com issued a warning against the “South Park” creators.

But the forces behind that site consist of just two “extremist buffoons,” according to Arsalan Iftikhar, an international human rights lawyer and founder of TheMuslimGuy.com.  Read Iftikhar's commentary here

Still, Comedy Central network pulled the episode after it first aired. And the network censored Part II of the episode, with audio bleeps and image blocks. In response, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris penned a satirical cartoon calling for a national day of drawing the prophet. And groups of secular and atheist students, among others, are mobilizing to follow her lead en masse. Except Norris long since disavowed her cartoon, apologizing publicly and profusely for the misbegotten day it seems to have produced. Got all that?

Facebookers respond to 'Draw Mohammed Day'

The "South Park" episodes, of course, should have been left alone. The show makes fun of everyone, often brilliantly. There’s no reason for Islam to get off easier. Comedy Central seriously erred, kowtowing to extremists or to the small minority of American Muslims who oppose freedom of expression.

But two wrongs don’t make a right. Several campus groups of nonreligious students affiliated with the national Secular Student Alliance, of which I am a big supporter, have started a campaign to chalk smiling stick figures on their campus quads, labeling the figures “Mohammed.”

Muslim students’ reaction? Add boxing gloves and re-label the drawings “Muhammad Ali." As an atheist (or better yet, call me a Humanist: one who emphasizes doing good without God) who longs for fellow Humanists to gain respectability in this religious nation, I begrudgingly admit the Muslims’ approach in this incident is superior in humor and civility.

Pakistan blocks access to YouTube, Facebook

This is not to say the secular students are bigots seeking to cause offense, as some have suggested. In fact they see themselves as standing up for free speech and free intellectual inquiry. They hope increasing the number of potential targets will make extremists think twice before attacking. And they earnestly believe no person should be so revered that they can not be drawn or spoken - that such reverence is simply a bad idea.

Proudly, they note that like the creators of "South Park," they are “equal opportunity critics” who would be just as harsh with bad ideas put forth by any other religion. They’ve written to their Muslim Students Association colleagues saying just that. In short they’re good, smart people, trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, they’re failing; maybe dangerously.

There is a difference between making fun of religious or other ideas on a TV show that you can turn off, and doing it out in a public square where those likely to take offense simply can’t avoid it. These chalk drawings are not a seminar on free speech; they are the atheist equivalent of the campus sidewalk preachers who used to irk me back in college. This is not even "Piss Christ," Andres Serrano's controversial 1987 photograph of a crucifix in urine. It is more like filling Dixie cups with yellow water and mini crucifixes and putting them on the ground all over town. Could you do it legally? Of course. Should you?

In Muslim culture, there is a longstanding tradition that to put something on the ground, where people step on it, is “the ultimate diss," indicating “I hate you, you disgust me,” as I was told by Ingrid Mattson, president of the Islamic Society of North America

To this add the fact that after 9/11 hate crimes against Arabs, Muslims and “those perceived to be Muslim” increased 1,700 percent in the United States, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. Large numbers of innocent Muslims in the U.S. have been harmed or intimidated simply because they share a religious tradition with extremists. Can we reasonably suggest they not be reminded of this upon seeing their prophet, the most revered and admired person in their cultural tradition, underfoot?

Our country’s top military leaders are struggling to win the hearts and minds of Muslims worldwide. And many of the 1.57 billion Muslims are watching CNN and many other American networks to see what we think of them. If we think they are going to perceive this as a thoughtful exercise in critical thinking, we are in serious denial. To paraphrase one student I heard from, we should fight to the death for our right to chalk these images. But we should also have the dignity and respect not to do so.

Of course, Muslim extremists have again and again in recent memory committed atrocities that the angriest, most aggressive atheist I know could scarcely dream up on LSD. And it is moderate Muslims’ responsibility to speak out against these acts. And they are. My friend Eboo Patel is a Muslim who has built a movement training thousands of young Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Humanist, Buddhist and Hindu leaders in pluralism as an alternative religious extremism. What Eboo and other Muslims are saying when they criticize the chalking campaign is, ‘please find a less hurtful way to protect free speech; you’re within your rights to do it this way, but we can’t help but see it as, at best, unfriendly in the extreme.’ Check out the resources his organization has created for those looking for Muslim-atheist/Humanist partnerships rather than cartoonish conflict.

And partnerships are, more than ever, a real possibility. Patel and Mattson, along with Akbar Ahmed, the chair of Islamic Studies at American University in Washington and a leading authority on contemporary Islam, all responded enthusiastically to my suggestion that we organize a meeting between Muslim and secularist leaders and students. Ahmed’s comment summarized their sentiment: “I’d much rather know a person who says there is no God, but is dedicated to being a good person [than a person who gives lip-service to God but behaves unethically.]”

As a Humanist, I hope I do not exist solely to advance the Humanist cause. I want to advance the human cause. In this case, the way to do it is to keep the chalk on the blackboard, where perhaps one day soon Humanist and Muslim college students will use it together in inner-city elementary schools, teaching understanding and cooperation between members of different religious and moral traditions.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Greg Epstein.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • Islam • Opinion

1. Bob

Catholics don't run around during Lent murdering people who choose to eat meat on Fridays, so Muslims should not scream bloody murder because people who aren't Muslim draw pictures of their Prophet.

The problem has nothing to do with respect, it's that Muslims are NOT TOLERANT of others.

The tolerant must be intolerant of the intolerant.

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  2. Robert

I respect anyone's religious right to do whatever they want. It's when they say that their religious right dictate what I do that I object. Their religious rights do not include forbidding everyone else to do something, whether its a witch hunt or murdering people for a drawing... that's the difference between a religion and a cult. I fear many Muslims are drinking the kool aid of a ridiculous extreme.

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  3. Andy

I REPEAT.....

In my faith, it is written that "others (other than I) shall not post comments on blogs". As such, I ask all of you to respect my religious beliefs and immediately refrain from making any more comments on this blog or any other forever and ever. Ensuring that others refrain from making comments is directly tied to my religious freedom and the fact that I alone will receive 6 virgins, 5 golden rings, four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves and partridge in a pear tree when I get to no-blog heaven.

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • Robert

Awesome... just awesome. Nicely said. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is pleased and so am I.

May 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Modonn

I agree and will post no more...ooops...just did

May 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  4. BMR

The middle eastern gods are all pretty uptight. No sense of humor whatsoever. And their followers aren't much better. Who would want to worship a god that can't laugh at himself?

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  5. chris

I think the way muslims reacted by drawing gloves and writing Ali is brilliant. They come out on top by displaying intelligence and humor, which is sadly lacking in the behavior of most muslims who make news headlines. The truth is that in America we kick each other's teeth in all the time over our disagreements and call it freedom of speech. We just draw the line at murder. The way these guys reacted by turning the image into Muhammad Ali works for me because, like most Americans, I love a wise guy.

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  6. Love Jesus

Repent, Christ is coming.

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • Biru

is he bringing beer? i ilke beer.

May 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  7. sehrish

Have u lost your mind? That is the most arrogant thing in the world... What makes you think the God you believe in is real? Do you have evidence? no just faith....do you see us Muslims saying or doing n e thing to offend your religion? Of course we have extremists, but what about the damn KKK....American Muslims have rights too...but you dont see us practicing them in ways that would harm n e one!

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  8. Goodie Good

I am sick and tired of religion. The whole thing sounds so silly. The sad thing is people kill and die for this, silly , sad , and dangerous.

May 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  9. dave

–"Of course, Muslim extremists have again and again in recent memory committed atrocities that the angriest, most aggressive atheist I know could scarcely dream up on LSD. "-

Atheist always seem to forget that some of the most peaceful and loving people in history belived in God and atheists like Stalin and Mao commited atrocities that the angriest, most aggressive atheist I know could scarcely dream up on LSD.

May 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
    • Lisa

Oh, that old trope.

They could hardly be considered atheists, as they mandated a "worship" of the state. In that way, Mao, Stalin, and others were every bit as "religious" as the more well-known genocidal maniacs, even if they did not profess a supernatural belief.

May 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  10. Arafat Khaskheli

I am a Muslim and a Veteran. Thank you my friend! If people would only think things through before acting perhaps unnecessary hate could be prevented? I grew up with Christians and Catholics and they never made me feel like an outsider. Muslims do have a long ways to go in understanding their own religion. All we can do is pray for better days :)

May 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  11. An Atheist, oh no!

yeah, like the sensitivity the masked fanatics showed when they beheaded Daniel Pearl, the WSJ reporter. Very sensitive, those people.

May 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  12. Andy

May 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  13. JR

How can anyone here take you seriously when your name is "profart?"

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  14. Wendy

I am confused. Is the author of this article an athiest or a jewish rabbi?. It says he is a humanist rabbi, but what is that? He also referes to himself as an athiest. Can anyone explain?

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
    • meggyb

i'm confused about that, too. humanists don't believe in god, they basically believe people are all that matters. so why the hell is there a need for a "humanist rabbi" or "humanist chaplain" if they don't believe in god or religion?

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • Yanni

he's also peeved that Trix are for kids.

May 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  15. Stephen

Mohammad did nothing for the founding of this country. He created a very aggressive religion that does NOT respect others.

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  16. jira

I am not a muslim or an athiest either but the thing dazzles me is why people want to poke fun at whatever they have nothing to do with. We have right to like or dislike but do not have right to hate what we dislike. From tat Danish cartoon to all this till now, look who is instigating the fuel here and do not blame me on somebodyelse if you get hard consequence for your soft joke.

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  17. Mongo

Mohammed as depicted by Picasso:

< |
    / O
    \ / \

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  18. Protean

If I go to a Muslim country, I am not treated with "tolerance" because I am from another culture; assimilation is expected.

"When in Rome" is how the phrase goes. You come to our nation, behave accordingly.

Establishment clause also?

I wonder what Thomas Paine would say about this.

May 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  19. centaurlove

O
    -I I- Mohammed
    H
    / \
    _ / \_

May 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  20. truth

So I'm going to assume, ochuko, that you'll be covering your women when they go out in public lest they tempt a good muslim man?

May 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm |