home
RSS
Christians separating from the secular
May 28th, 2010

Unplugged Christians living off the grid

To look upon the beauty of Oregon is to understand what people mean when they say this is God's country, and that's exactly why Brother Gregory lives here.

He is part of a wider movement of conservative Christians who are choosing to live their lives on the edge of society, unplugged from civilization as much as they can, living under basic biblical principles.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Abortion • Christianity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Gay rights

1. Eleftkristopher

check louis vuitton inspired handbags with confident

February 3, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  2. King Neece

Clean Drinking Water
    Remove radiation from any water source

Our University of Alabama patented solar desalination product uses no electricity, has no filters to replace, can be taken anywhere and extracts pure water from any contaminated water source. It removes radiation, fluoride, salt, pesticides, bacteria, dirt and other contaminants from any water. It aids people to be prepared for disasters, saves hundreds on bottled water and utility bills. Made tough in the U.S.A.

Please visit us:

These units can also be placed together in arrays of literally any size, as needed, to accommodate a desert vegetable farm or remote area water needs, etc.

November 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  3. Mike

These posts are kind of sad in how they imply people of faith living apart from a society are ignorant, foolish and unable to stand up to their faith being scrutinized. Is it any wonder people who believe in God and their Saviour Jesus Christ pull away from the mainstream? We are not always welcome, and our faith is criticized! If this is how these people choose to follow God, then more power to them. They are harming no one, and are living according to their beliefs. Isn't that a good thing?

June 8, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  4. karenR

As long as they are law abiding ppl they have the right to live their lives as they choose. Just as I have the right to choose not to judge them based on their life styles or beliefs.

June 8, 2010 at 7:00 am |
  5. KD71

Wow! so much to say... to McCluk... you seem to be fixated on the pope. I am christian, but I'm not catholic. The pope is not my spiritual leader or advisor and I have nothing to do with him or his beliefs. I do not help people because I fear being punished if I don't. Even the implication is obsurd. My motivation, too, comes from my heart. To Steve Legace... you've called this man self righteous trash... wow, you think an aweful lot of yourself dont you, to judge someone that strongly. You comment that Native Americans would probably scoff at the fact that he's called Oregon Gods Country. You imply that Native Americans probaly dislike his comparason due to his "legacy of murder, theft and bigotry". We all have ancestors that have done things we're not proud of, but that doesn't define us. We are not them, and their "legacy" has nothing to do with who I am or what I believe. I am part Native American and that is a big part of my culture. I see "Gods Country" as anywhere in nature where I feel close to Him. Be that in Oregon or Oklahoma. To Mario Kenny... You stated that Christians don't like gays or illegal aliens. Personally, I like everyone unless they give me a good reason not to. With illegal aliens, it's not who they are, it's the fact that they are taking from our society, taking to my and my childrens future, and not contributing. As for gays, I don't agree with the actions, but I have a couple very close friends that are gay and they are very dear to me. That is completely between them and God and I am certainly not righteous enough to even think about judging anyone. I agree with Sparky Off-Da-Grid. If these guys have access to the internet, they are definately not off the grid, but if he just wants to be alone, so be it. to each his own. To KeithTexas... Not all Christians go by what "some hillbilly in Tennessee decides the bible says". I am a very strong Christian, and I love my God, but I don't go to church for that reason exactly. I choose to read the bible on my own (including books that were not included in the 1611 edition compiled by constantine) and interprit it my own. Yes, there are contradictions, but it was written and compiled by man. Man is not perfect and It is our RESPONSIBILITY as a Christian NOT to simply accept what a preacher determines is the correct interpritation, but read it for ourselves and decide on our own. Finally... I have a problem with a comment i've seen posted by several Christians on this site. Several people have made comments that athiests should choose to believe because if the end of time comes, and they turn out to be wrong and there is a God, their fate will be horrible. Please stop. If someone is choosing to believe, "just in case" they may be wrong, they are not truely believing. If someone accepts my God, in fear of going to hell if He actually does exist, they're simply trying to cheat the system, so to speak. You don't believe if your reason for believing is, "just in case". Let them believe or not believe, but lets not accept this reasoning so that we can put another tally mark on our "souls saved" scorecard.

June 8, 2010 at 4:25 am |
  6. GodIsForImbeciles

Pure bull fertilizer, every last word.

June 8, 2010 at 2:19 am |
  7. Anna

Eh d@mn us if we do believe in God. D@mn us if we don't. Either way we're scr3wed by our fellow brothers and sisters (aka society).

June 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  8. freaksmeout

Lou,
    Funny you found your way to this sight. There is still hope for you Lou

June 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  9. CubanMom

(excuse the yelling, folks) YOU CAN NOT BE A CHRISTIAN AND A HATER! Judgement is exclusively the realm of GOD!

June 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  10. Lou

it boggles my mind that cnn has a "belief" blog...its rediculous..every single person who reads the bible thinks it says something different and they manipulate what it says so it benefits them in some way..they pick and choose things to follow and what not to follow. they say certain things are facts liks noahs arc, and talking snakes, but some topics are just poetry and not to be taken seriously. the bible was written hundreds of years after christ's death, its full of contradictions, and has no place in today's society. why is cnn; which i like to think is more "free thinking" than fox, stuping to the level of people who think people rode triceratops around like a f'n horse 6,000 yrs ago. what a great place to get information from, nut jobs like this.

June 7, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
    • CubanMom

Some Christians misinterpet Scripture, that's true. BUT..... MOST Christians agree of several things:

1. Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
      2. Salvation is offered to us, by Christ.
      3. We have been forgiven our sins.

To name a few things we all agree on. Regardless, of how we chose to worship GOD, we are all the Body of Christ. It is sad, that some Christians hate, judge and condemn. Jesus is clear, His great commandment is "Love one another as I have loved you."

June 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  11. MARIO KENNY

Well,i don' t understand christians, they don't accept gays, ilegal aliens, they against children born from ilegal women it don't matter the reasons, but the hate abortions,babies are the future gays, ilegal and other things, so you people think well, women give birth and became gays, lesbians, masters, crist, and others... so leave the woman to choose what poblate this earth, right

June 7, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • freaksmeout

I would like to reply but you make no sense.......

June 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  12. Nitrogen

Hooray religious wackos not taking part in society!

June 7, 2010 at 2:03 am |
  13. Alex Winter

That's what's great about America. Live how you want. I wouldn't be able to live like these folks but to each their own.

June 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  14. ALfred Hussein Neuman

The hypocritical extreme left will bash Christians for speaking up, and then bash them for going into seclusion. They say too bad these people have kids, and then support the rights of drug addicted welfare mom to continue to have kids and raise them without any morals. They say everyone should be tolerant of other views, but what they mean is accepting the extreme left's unmoral views and abandoning all morals.

June 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • Gary

Having morals has nothing to do with Christianity Islam or any religion. Agnostics can be perfectly moral. I dont need a religious text to know not to Kill,steal cheat on my wife ect.

June 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  15. Lora

Cultists and extremists always seem to make their way off the grid.

June 6, 2010 at 11:06 am |
    • freaksmeout

....while others hide behind emails.

June 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  16. GG32

GODS word states the we were created in his image. There again, it requires faith to believe. His word also states in
    John 20:29:Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. Yes the Bible was written by men but inspired by GOD himself. The prophecy past, present that have come to pass and the future which you can look and see after reading his word and know He is GOD and had a heavy hand in on it's writing. Believing is a choice that may not be easy for some and very easy for others. Simple for me because of all he has done for me. But the greatest gift of all is when he saved my soul. You have to admit that even a gambling man, considering the odds and chances of winning by not believing WOULD BELIEVE). If I am wrong, I will have the same fate as a non-believer. But if the non-believer is wrong, he has a price to pay for eternity for that decision and he will NOT enjoy the many BENEFITS that I am telling you about. Not to mention the Torment of being seperated from GOD for All of eternity. It is a life decision to make. Choose life and just let go.. He will see you through and help you see the truth.
    In love..Tim

June 6, 2010 at 12:43 am |
    • Gary

uh?

June 6, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
    • freaksmeout

Finally someone who makes sense!

June 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  17. cardog

To: GG32...sounds good, but who decided that we were made in the image of God? If we've never seen God, how do we know we were made in his/her image? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we all have a belief to get us through this crummy life, but let's quit being so arrogant to think that God decided to make us look like him/her.
    The bible and the koran were books written by men. The contents of thes books are the ideas put into writings by simple human being who wanted to see some sense of organization. They also wanted, like all through recorded history to insure that the God they wrote about was on thier side and not the side of their enemies.

June 5, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
    • freaksmeout

Cardog,
      You are incorrect about the Bible and the koran being the same. The Bible is the infallable Word of God; inspired by God and wriiten by man. The Bible also shows God great love for us by sending His only Son to die for our sins. No buddah, allah or other so called prophets or gods died for you. There are well over 300 predictions of Christ's birth, death and resurrection.
      No other religious book can make such a claim.

June 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm |