home
RSS
June 2nd, 2010

Focus on the Family expresses some support for the Gores

This is not James Dobson's Focus on the Family.

The conservative evangelical group has never been shy about bashing Democrats, but it is expressing support and undertanding for Al and Tipper Gore after the couple announced plans to separate. Here's part of a release the group sent to journalists yesterday:

Focus on the Family Media Availability re: Al and Tipper Gore Marriage Separation

Al and Tipper Gore have announced their separation today after 40 years of marriage.

Focus on the Family marriage expert Glenn Stanton is available to give some perspective on the news. He can talk about why, surprisingly enough, a separation can be very pro-marriage action, giving troubled marriages a critical “time-out” and providing time apart to focus on ways they can improve the relationship.

Since Dobson's departure earlier this year, Focus has tried to burnish an image as a kinder, gentler organization.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Politics

« Previous entry
  1. themodaholic.blogspot.ca

I truly love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this amazing site yourself? Please reply
    back as I'm hoping to create my own personal site and want to know where you got this from or what the theme is named. Many thanks!

July 30, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  2. Jackybzr

May 18, 2012 at 6:11 am |
  3. Bronx Girl

Thank you Broman61....your words are the words of wisdom and light! Let those who have ears hear!

July 27, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  4. Steve-O

Anyone remember the PMRC? Yeah, that liberal, self-righteous group that 'Tipper'(nice name!) and her Washington cronies formed back in the 80's that tried to ban certain music and entertainment because they felt it was degrading the American values system? Remeber Frank Zappa, John Denver, and Dee Snyder testifying at the Senate Hearings?!...they owned those idiots and made Americans realize they didn't need a bunch of Washington Wives dictating what we watch or listen to! Way to go 'Tipper', where are your "family values" now?!!

June 8, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  5. Broman61

It's a shame that the Gores have come to this conclusion. I know it is hard, but for a former head of state it rings a more important bell. As for Christians becoming tolerant, we shouldn't confuse the Love of God with loves being another word for tolerance. God doesn't tolerate sin, however he did make an atonement for it. Many of us want to live the way we want to and that choice we have, but the church and organizations like FoF have to be the "town crier" of society no matter the cost or the lofty position one has. I didn't always agree with FoF, but I do know that their focus has always been for the betterment of families of all races, creeds and colors. God will judge the world, but that doesn't mean you don't have the free will to live as you please. Just because we choose to doesn't change the truth concerning it or the sin it produces. We live in a day when bad is good and good is bad. Although God does save and pardon it is clear that he saves for a reason. He doesn't save us to allow us for the purpose of going back to what we came from, but rather for something better. I say this not to torment you any more than your mind may or may not do, but rather to point out that Mr. and Mrs Gore are just a microcosm of the bigger picture. We are in trouble and we are so blind to it. Sort of like the toad in the frying pan. It's not about being anti-gay, but more about being pro-God. I hate the sin in my own life as well, but I have to say that the truth hasn't changed. Christ was sent to save sinners, of whom I am one. Bashing you would be know better than bashing myself, but God's word is still clear. Read the words of God and do your due diligence to look at the root meaning of all the words you read that what's being said may be more clearer. What he said he means and what he means, he will do. God help us all.

June 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  6. NR Davis

Candice, not everyone agrees that being gay is a sin by a LONG SHOT. It is very clear that Focus has dealt in the muck of hatemongering for years. And beoing Christian DOES NOT connote being anti-gay or pro-Focus on the Family. I see it as my duty as a loving Christian to spread the truth about Focus and similar organizations, groups that commit sin and create hate and destruction through claiming to speak for Christ. I pray for people caught in the Focus web. And I pray for the Gores, so that the Creator will help them during this trying time, whether they ultimately decide to split or reconcile. (I hope they reconcile.)

June 3, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  7. Raina

I'm sorry i don't mean to sound rude but Candice what do Christians have to do with all of this? :]

June 3, 2010 at 2:02 am |
  8. Russ Jones

I don't see a statement from Planned Parenthood or Glaad. Hmmmmmmmmm...

June 2, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  9. Candice

There seems to be a very distorted opinion of Focus on the Family and Christians in general here. Christians offer the love of God to sinners (which ALL of us are). In Christ, forgiveness, peace, joy and eternal life is offered to hopeless sinners. But, that offer cannot be accepted unless a person is willing to submit himself/herself to God and His direction, as found in the principles of the Bible. I will pray for each of you who think we are hateful that you too might one day take Jesus as your Lord and Savior. That is what all of us Christians long for for each of you. I pray often for the people who most hate us and God that God would reveal His love to them. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

June 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  10. IKanThink

Read Bob Price's book, The Reason Driven Life; the delusion of religious beliefs and all the various sects and their hypocritical judgments gives groups like Focus (on your own damn) Family undeserved status.

June 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  11. Jim Ray

I think some good folks have a misunderstanding. It is hate the sin LOVE sinner. That is what happened in my life before I came to my senses. Fortunately for me I could see the real love for me even though they did not approve of the sin.
    Just lighten up a bit. :-) Life is not about you! Suggest you read Rick Warrens book a purpose driven life.

June 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
    • Reality

Looks like both the Gores could lighten up a bit :)

June 2, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  12. Reality

Maybe just maybe Al needs material for another book? Or maybe it is simply another part of the climate change? Or someone else's globes being warmer than Tippers?? :)

June 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
    • ERJ

Could it possibly be that Al is completely consumed with "Al"? Could it be that a complete focus on self helps create a selfish heart - one that makes marriage extremely difficult.

June 3, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  13. Chef J

James Dobson was a hate and fear monger. Now that he is gone from Focus on the Family we will see if they become more "tolerant" or others. I have no belief other than trying to be a good person, and it seems to me that these christian groups are some of the most vile and hate mongering people out there. I am sure that if Jesus was here he would be pretty bummed out at what people do in HIS name.

June 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • ERJ

How do you define what "a good person" is? Where does your concept of good come from?

June 3, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  14. B

Happy the Home when God is there....

June 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  15. Jessica

Elaine – the problem is you only get respect when you give it, and frankly, Focus on the Family doesnt give any respect to anyone or anyting they dont agree with. I agree, in a free nation everyone has the right to think and act as they wish, even to the detriment of society as a whole. Focus On The Family thinks that gay people are a huge detriment to society. Subsequently, I think Focus on the Family is a huge detriment to society. See how that works? Give respect...you just might get it.

June 2, 2010 at 9:43 am |
    • ERJ

Don't confuse respect for tolerance or some acceptance that there is more than one Truth.

June 3, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  16. Ian

Sure, let's respect everyone's beliefs. I am sure, Elaine, that you respect child molestors beliefs, murderers beliefs, the Klan, Neo-Nazis, and even Westboro Baptist/Fred Phelps cult beliefs, too. Focus on the Family has done more to promote hatred toward others in our generation than most of those I mentioned. They even campaigned for and contributed money towards legislation of the murder of innocent people in Uganda based on who they love. NOW do you want to respect them some more?

June 2, 2010 at 9:21 am |
    • Born in Nashville

Eactly Ian. Those of you who listen to James Dobson and get his daily e-mails (giving you marching orders) might want to start checking out what he's telling you to do and what to believe. I've been on the FOF mailing list for years and daily they lie about something all the while wording it like they're doing "God's will". They lie by ommision of facts and they often leave out bible verses that contradict their agenda. They provoke people to anger as much as possible. Radio listeners, how many times have you heard James Dobson give you his opinion in this way, "God's people.......insert JD's opinion/agenda here....do such and such or believe such and such. It's James Dobson that does and thinks those things and he wants you to do what HE is telling you to do. He wants to control you. Remember when the "Spotlight" did a little ditty asking "God's people" to pray for torrents and buckets of rain to fall on the Democratic Convention in Denver a few years ago??? I do, then they removed it from their website and tried to cover their tracks. What I found most interesting though, was when the weather was beautiful and a few days later a hurricane bore down on the republican convention. Naturally FOF nor James Dobson said "God rained them out"....but myself and a whole lot of other people sure did notice it. Remember, James Dobson is a trained psychologist, he knows exactly what he's doing to your psyche and how to go about doing it.

June 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  17. Elaine

I think Thinker is a hater. Right away calling Focus on the Family a hate group. Just because you may not believe as theydo doesn't mean they are a hate group. How about respecting everyone's beliefs.

June 2, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  18. Evelyn Gibson

Bashing under the guise of accusing others of bashing compounds the act in its self-righteousness. It's disappointing and does nothing to support the Gores at a time of great difficulty in their lives.

June 2, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  19. Thinker

Focus on the family is a hate group. who cares what they think, and why are they even being covered. They are just the Klan without sheets.

June 2, 2010 at 7:52 am |
    • Sarah

The Klan? really? How could you compare Focus on the Family to that! The reason people get so uptight about the organization is because it is convicting!!

June 2, 2010 at 9:29 am |
    • DCB

I have never seen two sillier comments. No, Focus on the Family is not the Klan without sheets. And no, annoyance with their clumsy, intrusive, insensitive, judgmental efforts does not equal conviction. It's called "the middle," and most of us live there.

June 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
    • ERJ

Who is hating who with your comment? Wow - you may just need a self check.

June 3, 2010 at 9:15 am |
    • Born in Nashville

I used to listen to FOF.....but my first reaction every time I heard James Dobson's voice was that something about him reminded me of the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood, dressed in grandma's clothes trying to trick LRRH into coming closer so he could devour her. I tried to squash that "feeling" at first, then I realized after listening over a long period of time that my "gut reaction" was correct (call it disernment if you will) James Dobson is a foul man and his organization doesn't contain a drop of love in it. I agree with the person who describes it as the Ku Klux Klan without the sheets. It's really disturbing that he uses Christianity to trick people into believing and doing bad things.....but he wouldn't be the first demented, human being to accomplish such a feat. - Anyone who doesn't see this might want to start paying closer attention and maybe doing a little "digging" into this organization...and pray for disercernment. .. In other words, don't be fooled... If you are a bad person yourself naturally you'll want to camoflage those tendencies in a "vein" of christian correctness speak.....that's something that evil people often do.. and good people are often misled because the "devils" among us often appear as an angel of light....

June 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm |
    • moses

Near the beginning in noahs time people lived 500 yrs to 600 yrs before the flood noah and his sons were able to be faithful to their wifes now scientist say that because people are living a misely 10 yrs more its an open door to divorce i bellieve this is another excuse to sin and for people to further continue to sin . Then you wonder about all the recent earthquakes this is gods way of demonstrating to us he is becoming fed up.Even Moses of the bible lived longer 900 yrs and he was married too. What excuse would he have. Imagine the knowledge aquired by living longer. The Gores are lacking God in their life and gods true love i believe in the begining they looked at each others outside then and also the love of fame and money kept them together and now that old age is caught up to them reality check is hitting them other wise theyd still be together.

June 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm |
    • moses

For all those that will call me a hater Jesus Christ was also called a hater because he is the way and truth ,and life he taught peace and love and he was still called a Hater . Not only that but He was also killed on the cross for teachings about Gods love and also for our own sins so I will pray for the Gores to come to Christ For rebuilding their marriage ,and to be an example of a successful marriage rather than another too common tragedy. God Bless All.

June 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm |