home
RSS
June 14th, 2010

Sexy nun too far for Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga appears in costumes resembling a nun's habit in the video "Alejandro."

Tough story to ignore this week, it's one that's making noise across the religious blogosphere.

Lady Gaga's exceptionally long music video (which apparently people still make) "Alejandro" uses a lot of Catholic imagery - including Gaga dressed up as a sexy nun in a shiny red and white habit and eating a rosary.

Another pop star, Katy Perry, had this to say on her Twitter account:

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.

Perry told a French radio station over the weekend she is a big Gaga fan, but:

I think sometime spirituality and sexuality are separate things, and when you put them together it gets interesting for some people.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. DaveinSC

Well I would not put her in the same class as maryln manson, but she is surely a freak. This kind of stuff happens when people have real idea of who they are. they have to resort to shock tactics and such to appease themselves of being remotely normal.

June 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  2. tbrkfd

I dare her to do the same thing in a burqa with a crescent on it.

June 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
    • Anonymous

Then again, the protective clothing for desert conditions doesn't really have the same religious undertones than a uniform evolved for the "bride of Christ" has.

June 18, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  3. Tom Collins

Madonna did it years ago... who cares

June 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  4. Love Bible Qoutes

LOL.. oh well if Katy Perry says it's going to far than who are we the viewing public to disagree! I guess Katy is the moral compass when it comes to going to far in a video, girl must have missed a whole TON of videos ... we have a right to question and express religion and beliefs as we wish in this country. Frankly the Catholic church has already lost all respect with it's centuries of criminal behavior and cover ups, greed and selfishness. I love Madonna's video Like a Prayer when the church was screaming about how disrespectful and blasphemous it was too ... Still think it's one of Madonna's best vids, looks like Lady Gaga is in good company the fact that Katy dislikes it makes it even that much more sweet.

June 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  5. Mtka

Lady Gaga was raised a Catholic. Nuns are Catholic. To those Catholics offended by this I say it is a form of entertainment. You've got bigger fish to fry.

For instance – the saga of Catholic priests molesting children worldwide for decades. Hmmmmm. I think the ped priest thing deserves a heck of alot more attention. Turn the video off and concentrate on the important stuff.

June 15, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
    • tninpt

thank you. amen to you haha

June 16, 2010 at 2:01 am |
  6. Thomas

The Catholic church has pedophile priests every 100 yards and THIS offends them? Give me a break.

June 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  7. WILLIAM J WALLACE

SHE DID A VIRTUAL TRIBUTE TO MADONNA AND ANYWAY SHE IS AWSOME I LOVE HER, PERIOD.

June 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  8. texokie

Christianity has inspired some of the greatest art, music, literature, and architecture in wester history. Gaga suggests that man has been devolving since Darwin released his ideas.

June 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Not inspired, allowed. Architecture was around literally centuries before christians. Artistic expression was oppressed BY the church in the dark ages. They weren't called that because it was night time. The Renaissance used artists to further the WEALTH of those in power, such as the Pope.

Next you will tell me science was invented by jesus.

June 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
    • texokie

Selfish Gene : of course science was not invented by Jesus. Science was not as relevant to Jesus as humanity's relationship to other people and God. Some trickster tried to get Pope John Paul 2 to make an infallible statement about evolution. The pope refused. He said " Evolution isn't important enough."

BTW: There seems to be a trend among you anti-religious types to invent stupid sounding dogmas, and then accusing believers of actually believing.

June 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Mtka

Christianity as in Catholisism had endorsed pedophelia for decades. It this one of the "arts" you are referring to?

June 16, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  9. Leah (TXanimal)

OMG, an entertainer and artist pushing the envelope!!! What will happen next, athletes trying to break world records? CEOs trying to turn a profit?

Not like Madonna didn't already do this over 20 years ago with "Like a Prayer"...

June 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
    • Anonymous

xactly!!!

June 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  10. Eric

Blasphemy, the only victimless crime...

June 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
    • Luke

It isn't a crime, Eric. At least in secular nations, such as the USA.

June 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  11. Craig

YAWN. It's been done, and far better. I love how kids think this is cutting edge. It's just recycled. (can you say, Madonna?) It cracks me up that kids think goth was something new in the 90's too. Come on, get creative.

June 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  12. Impossible

not saying Lady Gaga i insane but sometimes certain things spark critcism(sp?) and for my family is sparked definite anger so...
    Anyways the songs awesome anyways but lighten up on the costumes Lady G!

June 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  13. Cash Cow

For being original, Lady Gaga sure seems to be using Madonna's playbook on how to get rich fast by controversy.

June 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
    • Carl

Should be "far from being original..."

June 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  14. MYTHYX

As society gets more intelligent beliefs begin to fail. Only the poor and the uneducated require religion as their crutch.

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
    • Reyone

MYTHYX, incorrect actually as the society grows its knowledge and expand its horizon the closer to GOD we get. Please lets not confuse the loud voice of a few over the media with the real thinkers here.

June 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
    • Luke

Reyone – Citation please? Research, contrary to your unsupported statement, has time and time again shown that the higher the IQ, the less religious a person becomes. Many studies have been conducted, all with the same results. The clearest everyday example of this resides in the field of scientific research. The world's biologists, cosmologies, astronomers, rocket scientists, physicists and doctors are overwhelmingly non-religious.

June 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

True. These people obviously realize that if they allow the truth to be taught in schools and debated honestly and openly they would not be able to continue as they are. They would face what I did. I hoped an education would help me reconcile the abuse of my childhood directly related to the Baptist Church. The history of Christiianity, once an actual religion under Constantine in 300 CE, was a blood bath built on top of hypocracy and lies. It became a government run religion and thus just another army of people out to kill people with even a minor difference. For instance, the tonsure of Celtic monks was different from the Roman and the Roman tried to force a different hair cut using violence. I see no time in the history of Christianity that it showed compassion or made any effort to make the beliefs take into account facts. They don't care about that though. They are just bent on not going to the hot spot.

June 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • texokie

Religion a crutch? Tell that to the early Christians being torn apart by lions, or priests tortured in Communist gulags.

June 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
    • texokie

Reyone, I agree. The more mature and intelligent we become, the more we can contemplate realities higher – and transcending – ourselves. Studying old bones and fossils is really quite remedial.

June 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
    • Christina

My beliefs have never failed me...Christ told the truth and it has never failed. And I like Lady Gaga. Didn't like the video much, but I love her. She's rad.

June 15, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
    • Beowulf

Oh really.
      In the Mormon faith, to which I belong, the higher the education level, the more likely the person will remain an active believer. This has been shown in a sociological study, and contradicts your thesis that only the ignorant and the stupid remain faithful to God.

June 16, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • Selfish Gene

Mormons. Great at Geneaology. And in the 70s it was "revealed" that people of color are not walking devils. So they are all tuned up on the acceptance of all dog's creatures nonsense.

June 16, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
    • FletcherGR

@Luke,
      I don't believe that is true. Citation please.

June 17, 2010 at 8:58 am |
    • KCD

I would rather be poor and have my relationship with God as my crutch. Unfortunately, I don't expect you to understand the simplicity of it. It's sad that freedom of speech excludes those who are believers.

June 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  15. Cambric

Yes, there are many of us who still practice religion. This is offensive on so many levels...I pity these 'artists' who use religion to mock. Many people don't believe, and if you're right, then none of this will matter...if you're wrong....

June 15, 2010 at 8:53 am |
    • Bonk

So you are only believing religion because of a big 'what if i'm wrong' mentality? Hahahahahahahaha

June 15, 2010 at 10:05 am |
    • Walrus

What are the odds?

June 15, 2010 at 10:09 am |
    • CalgarySandy

What I do not understand is why people watch things they find offensive and then complain. Don't look. It is not your job to deny people their own beliefs and applications of them. If you are trying to take away my free will I will tell God on you. And if he is there he will tell you to stick your shame machine where the son never shines.

June 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
    • texokie

If religion goes away, artists will have to find other ways to be "compelling", "controvertial". That could run into real work and real art.

June 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

texokie
      If only religion could go away. It won't. I would like to see all Fundamentalists sterilized and forbidden to raise children or be around them. That way we can keed them from programming vulnerable little guys to believe they are evil and will go to hell if they express their own curioslity and intelligence. IThat wy they would not be in schools to mess with the teaching of science accepted all over the world but not by these types. They have shown themselves to be unfit to lead, unfit to raise children and unfit to step out of their magic world and into the real one. I think I have figured out where the Neandertal went. 🙂

June 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
    • texokie

@ Bonk: please go to Wikipedia and look up Pascal's Wager.

June 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
    • Cambric

Bonk: No, I have full faith in God, in our Lord Jesus Christ with all my heart and soul. I was saying, those of you who don't, better hope you are right...eternity in hell, hating yourself, everything and everyone will not be pleasant. I've noticed atheists and agnostics love to throw in our faces, "You only believe cause of 'what if' scenario", and there are some who do so, not me. And if that's your belief, so be it...I can't imagine having NOTHING to hope for after this crappy world.

As for the priests: Yes, sadly there are pedophiles, and our Church needs to fix it and do the best to prevent it...those that covered it up will pay for it, if not in this life, but in the next...oh, unless you don't feel they will and there will be no justice?

You can't have it both ways.

As for Madonna and Lady Gaga being raised Catholic, does not give them the right to act the way they do. Abusing religion is wrong.

Remember about keeping an open mind: too open and everything falls out. Either you have Faith or you don't, I'm not judging anyone on that, but by me not judging doesn't give anyone the right to offend others with their actions.

June 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
    • Bill

If you are right, I will be punished by a cranky old dude in the sky for being honest, having integrity, and not being a coward.

June 15, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
    • tninpt

oh look at you. sure its wrong to make fun of other's beliefs...but look at you, using your religion to threaten everyone. how cute.

June 16, 2010 at 1:57 am |
    • dajackg

Cambric:

"those that covered it up will pay for it, if not in this life, but in the next...oh, unless you don't feel they will and there will be no justice".

Are you quite sure that they will pay for it?

Don't these people profess to believe in Jesus Christ as their savior, just as you do? Isn't it possible that Christ will forgive their sins just as He forgives yours? Of course these child-abusing priests may be among those who cry "Lord, Lord" at the last judgement, to whom Christ will reply "I never knew you" (Matthew 7:15-23)... but as a Christian, don't you see that such things are God's call and not yours?

As a Christian, don't you feel compelled to recognize the possibility that some child-abusing priests will actually GO TO HEAVEN through the grace of Christ, and not have to pay for their misdeeds at all?

Are you prepared to accept that?

'Cuz if not, then perhaps the hateful one is you!

June 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

I'm not hoping for a better life next time, I am working for a better life now. I don't believe in promises of an afterlife. I do believe in churches stealing now. Especially RCC.

June 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Cambric

Are you quite sure that they will pay for it?

Are you prepared to accept that?

'Cuz if not, then perhaps the hateful one is you!

dajackg,

They will pay for it, if not in hell, then in purgatory...I am fine with it if Jesus forgives them, and he will if they show TRUE remorse. All I was saying to the previous comment about them saying of no afterlife, is that if there isn't, then nobody will be punished...if they are, then there is a punishment for those that don't repent. (The repent part was implied).

I'm not hating, I hope everyone gets to heaven, more the better, but the facts are, very few will get there. Jesus says, "...follow the narrow road, few are those that find it."

Not sure why you got so defensive about punishment against pedophiles, for our Lord also says, and I paraphrase, "woe to those that harm a child, better for them to have a millstone around their neck and thrown into a river."

Basically, they are screwed...but yes, if they repent from their heart and wished they had never had done the evil, then they too deserve heaven. If Jesus forgives the many, many horrible sins I've committed against him, then I'm all for everyone to ask for forgiveness and receive it.

June 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • JackShaft

@cambric

If this world is so crappy and the next so magnificent why not do something heroic that will probably kill you, ensuring your place in heaven?

June 16, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
    • NCEAST

Just because Jesus may forgive them dosen't mean they won't go unpunished.

June 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
    • Crazy Artist

Religion is at best a social and political tool of manipulation and at worst a destructive cancer. If you want to talk faith, then talk faith . If you want to talk religion, well then you know where you can stick it.

June 17, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
    • paschal abbey

Am sorry for americans bcoz they are bringing curses 2 there country. First it start wit lesbianism and gay. Ñow playin wit sacred things...lady gaga is nothing but a fool yet 2 realise her mistakes..

June 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
    • JustAGuy

Reply to: please go to Wikipedia and look up Pascal's Wager.

If you believe Pascal's Wager indicates you should believe in God then you must also apply Pascal's Wager to what particular brand of God-worship you subscribe to (Islam, Wiccan, Buddhism etc.) and come to the conclusion that you are probably following the wrong religion. Basically the logic goes "All things being equal what are the odds that being Catholic (or insert your religion here) will lead me to heaven? If there are 1000 different relgions then the chances that mine is the right one is 1/1000 or one tenth of a percent. Coincidentally that's the same odds as someone with no religion!"

I don't know of any religious people or non-religious people that quote statistics as the main reason for their beliefs, but if you do, then you only have an incredibly small chance of being right!

June 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  16. Reality

Gagging over "lady" Gaga!!!!

June 14, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  17. gagaaa

hm, i didn't realize people still practiced religion these days. how cute.

June 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • John Q Public

It's fun to ridicule others beliefs. As long as it's not mine. Then I will get upset.
      Making fun of others beliefs makes me feel superior & smarter than other people. I can sleep better at night thinking there is no religions because if there was, I'd be sinning every hour. I like to think there are no consequences for my actions.
      I liked Lady Gaga's video the first time I saw it when it was called Vogue about 20 years ago.

June 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
    • dj

"LIke a Prayer" maybe? Entertainers and teenagers love controversy, and religion loves mysticism so it's a natural! Just don't take either too seriously.

June 16, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • educated and free

Only those still blinded by faith and fairy tails.

June 16, 2010 at 11:51 am |
    • ttwp

You must become a fool to become wise. For the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. Turn to the Lord and he will heal you. God Bless!

June 19, 2010 at 12:08 am |
  18. Danny

I didn't think she went too far, Marilyn Manson has done worse.
    And by the way, it's not "Alejandero" it's "Alejandro".
    (spell check goes a long way"

June 14, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
    • Frizz

If you notice she got the symbols upside down. hmmm wonder what that means.

June 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

Back when Christianity had not yet separated from Judaism, the upside down cross indicated St. Peter who was supposedly crucified upside down. He did not feel he was worthy to be crucified up right like Jesus. Maybe she likes it upside down. Or maybe she is sticking it to the Shame Machine. If she was a Satanist she would likely not use it as modern Satanism has nothing to do with Christianity so the Cross is irrelevant. Not a Catholic: No Jesus on the Cross. Some early Christians hated the cross and do not use it. It is an instrument of terrible torture used on millons of people and they don't want to associate that with the Risen Christ. Jesus (if the whole story is true) was removed before he rotted away, as was the normal practice. He is not on the cross.

The cross is a pagan symbol from millenia before towns arrived. It is carved into caves and on standing stones all over the world. This includes the swastica. Both are symbols of the sun wheel. The Maltese Cross (Victoria Cross and Iron Cross) is part of the same thing.

June 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  19. Lady Ga Ga

I LOVE MYSELF!

June 14, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
    • Phil Newton -- Murphy, Oregon

We get that.

June 15, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
    • LadyGagarocks

Frizz - it means she is an atheist. A lot of people wear pendents with upside down crosses to demonstrate their freedom from religion.

June 16, 2010 at 11:09 am |
    • Maybe, Maybe Not

@ LadyGagarocks: The inverted cross in no way signifies that she is atheist. It is stereotyping to automatically assume an inverted cross denotes atheistic or satanic views and almost always incorrect as an inverted cross can have more meanings than the average person typically thinks. She very well may be an atheist, but one cannot assume...especially not based on a music video for an artist that feeds on shock value.

June 16, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
    • GAGA!!

I LOVE LADY GAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

June 18, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • Paramedic Powell

Lady GA GA is not original at all, we have all seen better versions of artist who use the same shock factor to sell records. Madona or Christina Aguilera for example, and both have better music. And did you see her music video with beyonce? She looks like a mutant compared to Beyonce because she is so pasty white and her side profile is flat. Her name should be pancake face. And in one year two tops she will not be remembered. YOU SUCK LADY GAG ME AND IF YOU WERE SMART YOU WOULD WALK YOUR UGLY BUT INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!!

June 18, 2010 at 11:35 am |
    • Ainoko

People are *too* hyper-focused on religion these days. I thot the vid was great and the costumes wonderful. Actually, they more reminded me of some anime shows I've seen than any *ahem* real religious outfits.

Keep it up. You're Brilliant!!!

June 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  20. Herp

Of all the crazy thing she's dressed up as, THIS is the one that gets questioned like this? It's just an outfit, nothing more, and no reason to run crying 'omg too far no way'. I wouldn't care if she wore a crown of thorns to go with it.

June 14, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • CitygirlDC

People have been dressing up as pregnant nuns for eons on Halloween- no one's ever carped about that

June 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • Angelad496

I agree! Besides – look at all the fuss Madonna raised over the years. These performers are just that – performers. They are eccentric and a little nuts – but just performers. Let's move on.

June 17, 2010 at 8:39 am |
    • soccergenius

"When Katy Perry, whose big hit is "I Kissed a Girl," tweets that your music video is crossing the line into blasphemy, you may be in trouble.'

Or that she's a hypocrite.

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 am |
    • Nonyab

Of course not, because you have no respect for anything sacred. Another example of why this country is going down the toilet.

June 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
    • michellew

There's a HUGE difference between man-made religion and being a Christian. I'm just glad that people are still discussing either of the two.....gives me a little hope.......

June 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
    • m0ri

Three words: Freedom of Expression

June 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
    • mstras

to michellew: who said, ' there's a difference between man-made religion and Christianity"
      Come over here, honey. Yea, sit on daddy's knee. i have something important to tell you.
      I know tis will come as a surprise but ALL religion's are "man-made" Yea, I know all those people say
      but they're wrong. All religions are just an attempt to try and explain why any of this is happening at all.
      In the Michelle; It's all a mystery.

June 20, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • mstras

Come over here, honey. Yea, sit on daddy's knee. I have something important to tell you.
      I know this will come as a surprise but ALL religion's are "man-made" Yea, I know what all those people say
      In the end, Michelle; It's all a mystery.

June 20, 2010 at 11:42 am |
    • Joe Shmid

It's not "just" an outfit. She wears things like that specifically to get this kind of attention. Gimmicks aimed to stir controversy often get just that. Lets face it, with the controversy aspect, Lady Gaga isn't left with much to offer.

June 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Mainer

I was taught by Nuns for 8 yrs in my youth. This outfit does not conjure up memories of those yardstick wielding wenches. I am seeing more a resemblance to a Knight Templar than to a Nun.
      Besides, why is this discussion even in a religion blog. Doesn't it belong under entertainment?

June 21, 2010 at 11:09 am |