home
RSS
June 14th, 2010

Sexy nun too far for Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga appears in costumes resembling a nun's habit in the video "Alejandro."

Tough story to ignore this week, it's one that's making noise across the religious blogosphere.

Lady Gaga's exceptionally long music video (which apparently people still make) "Alejandro" uses a lot of Catholic imagery - including Gaga dressed up as a sexy nun in a shiny red and white habit and eating a rosary.

Another pop star, Katy Perry, had this to say on her Twitter account:

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.

When Katy Perry, whose big hit is "I Kissed a Girl," tweets that your music video is crossing the line into blasphemy, you may be in trouble.

Perry told a French radio station over the weekend she is a big Gaga fan, but:

I think sometime spirituality and sexuality are separate things, and when you put them together it gets interesting for some people.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. John

If she really wants to make a splash, she should dress up as a cross-dressing Mohammed

June 16, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  2. Truth

Gaga is a partisan stooge. This should only be expected from the Party of Hate, and Obuma continues to blast Christanity.

June 16, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  3. texokie

God, it has been proclaimed, is dead. Our society is therefore "progressing". Under religion we had to suffer under the likes of Beethoven and Michaelangelo. But now we can congratulate ourselves that we have advanced to Gaga.
    (Yes, of course, I remember! Mass killings, pedophile priests, and other secular dogmas)

June 16, 2010 at 9:18 am |
    • LadyGagarocks

Agreed

June 16, 2010 at 11:04 am |
    • Eric

Well I don't know about religion, but clearly we haven't progressed past using Nietzsche quotes of context, now have we? I think you inverted the meaning of 'secular' too, but it's difficult to tell for sure since you aren't very articulate anyway.

Oh, and I secretly listen to Lady Gaga when I'm alone in the car.

June 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • texokie

@ Eric: You on the other hand are admirably articulate. I feel like a hampster in the presence of Plato. You might have noticed that I did not refer to the German philosopher (now dead). God's death have been expressed or implied all upa and down this page.

June 16, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  4. Me

The comments on this are more interesting than the actual story. I am always amazed how people who are not religous will come to stories like this and post insulting comments towards religion/Christianity. Why come to the religion section if your not religious? Answer: Your small mind is entertainted by insulting others beliefs. Get a life morons....

June 16, 2010 at 9:17 am |
    • texokie

Very interesting observation. I think something is bothering religion-haters that even they don't understand. Hypocrasy among Christians, pedophile priests, the mass murder things, are just something to help them to help them define their own personal emotions.

June 16, 2010 at 9:46 am |
    • Anonymous

I'm not sure about the "insulting" part or the "religion-haters" part, but I find many, not all but many, belief/religious/etc blogs are rife with historical and scientific inaccuracies. One possible reason for non-religious to participate, is to correct those inaccuracies.

June 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  5. Decide

By the way, everyone knows she's a man, right? Or at least that she has male "parts." Surprised that her outfit is the lead story.

June 16, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  6. susplace

mythyx – I am not poor, and I am not uneducated, and I believe in God, I believe Jesus was sent by God to die for the forgiveness of our sins and I believe he will come back to show us the way.................Remember non believers, "Vengence is mine said the Lord". God is my father and loves me very much. I can't ask for anything more. He has answered all of my prayers.

June 16, 2010 at 8:56 am |
    • krael

"Vengence is mine" ... loving and caring, no?

June 17, 2010 at 12:10 am |
  7. yakman

Cash Cow, funny I was thinking the same thing. Madonna's offspring!!

June 16, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  8. curdmudgeon

I suppose her fans will say "how courageous." Want to surprise me–dress up like Mohammad and cover yourself in shoe soles. The attacking Christianity angle has been done to death. This is just recycled Madonna. As another said: Fake music, no intellect.

June 16, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  9. Natch

Hey, what's the problem with fart jokes?? I like fart jokes, and so do you!!

June 16, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  10. loosewires

Wow, I say let God sort it all out in the end

June 16, 2010 at 7:36 am |
    • Selfish Gene

I'll race you there!

June 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  11. 11001101010101

Music is DEAD. It is artist like this that signal a dead society...FAKE MUSIC, NO HEART, NO INTELLECT...I miss hearing GOOD ARTISTS but you only hear repeats and plastic wrapped – regirgatated material like LADY GAGAGOGOGO

June 16, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  12. 11001101010101

This is blasphemous to MADONNA's work...oh, wait..lets copy someone and make some money..yep cuz i cant think of anything new..and i want to make some money off another artist..

June 16, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  13. 11001101010101

who cares what she wears..her music sucks..hurry and RUN and BUY HER CRAP BECAUSE SHES WEARING A NEW COSTUME..this has been done before but .HURRY...SPEND YOUR SAVINGS ON HER MUSIC...QUICK...cuz SHES LADY GAGA GOGO

June 16, 2010 at 7:06 am |
  14. ybs

Islam kids: blow yourself up & receive the fruits of 72 virgins
    Christian kids: bend over & receive the fruits of god's love

a tough choice! πŸ™‚

June 16, 2010 at 6:41 am |
    • Me

And you ybs, will have the pleasure of explaining yourself one day to God and I am guessing your insults won't go unpunished...

June 16, 2010 at 9:19 am |
    • Luke

Me – Or, when this person dies, nothing will happen. It will be just like what it was like not being born yet. His atoms will slowly break down and bond with new atoms to form new materials. He will become water, soil, oxygen, etc. His atoms will bond with everything in known universe, recycled forever. The air you breath, dead sir or madam, is very concretely made of dinosaurs, dead humans, star dust, and the same air that Shakespeare once sucked in. Creepy to think about, eh?

June 16, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • Atheism4Ever

Dear Me,

There is nothing to worry about because after you die, my friend, you will become what you have always been even before you were born – cosmic dust. Every single atom in your body came from a large ancient star (a red giant) that depleted its hydrogen, exploded and spit out clouds of gas and dust that provided material for our sun and the planets. This may partially explain why some people like religion – it makes them feel special, it feeds their ego: β€œI am not just a speck of dust, when I die I will be greeted by the creator of the Universe”... In reality you will be greeted by worms which will be delighted to recycle your atoms. The process will continue until our own sun depletes its hydrogen fuel and so on... Finally, at some point all matter will collapse into black holes which will eventually evaporate via Hawking radiation. All forms of life will cease to exist... If thinking about it keeps you awake at night, may I suggest a glass of wine. If you don't see any purpose in your life you are not mistaken – there is no purpose. But don't overanalyze and enjoy the time that you have left. By geological time we are here for only a tiny fraction of a second, by cosmological time – even less than that. So, my friend, live as if there is no tomorrow because there is really no tomorrow. Good luck with everything and enjoy the rest of your life!

June 17, 2010 at 12:05 am |
    • Anonymous

But what is your like to get it that way as well? The 72 virgins would demand a heroic stamina, and everything enjoyed too much is comparable to hell eventually.

June 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
    • Frank

Oh, please. As if there's only two choices: atheism or one of the Abrahamic religions. Richard Dawkins and his ilk is as stupid and uninformed about true spirituality as the fundie brigade.
      When you die, yes, your body breaks down and becomes a part of everything else. But that's just your body and your body isn't the REAL you. You are infinite consciousness on an eternal journey. Death isn't the end of anything. It's just your consciousness vacating your suit of a body and moving on to something else. The goal is to eventually transcend and become like the Gods, Buddhas or whatever term you feel comfortable with. The true story of Christ is about transcendence. There is no angry deity to judge you. The only judge there is are the Laws of the Cosmos and your own experiences and the vibrational resonance you create. You create your own Heaven or Hell. Or something else entirely. It's up to you.
      "...Life is only a dream and there's no such thing as death..."

September 21, 2010 at 5:05 am |
  15. slozomby

don't like it? then don't look. no one is forcing you to care about what she does or says or wears.

June 16, 2010 at 12:29 am |
  16. Agnostic Front

Gods, I love how the religious and anti-religious are both crying here. Keep up the LuLz guys, seriously!

The crying from the religious about this being offensive...seriously? I think the Jews in Torquemadas Spain and the Germanic tribes having their Donars Tree being cut down by St. Boniface know more about being offended. Don;t like it, don;t patronize Lady Gags music or better yet, turn off the TV.

And the anit-religious blokes, seriously...bashing religion...bored much? Have you nothing more to say than, "ZOMG! Religious is teh opiates of teh masses!!!" or something along those lines? Give it up, you know nothing more than the religious when it comes to spirituality. Richard Dawkins is no savior to atheist kind. He knows nothing more than David Koresh. LuLz!!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Richard Dawkins sells books. His lectures are very well spoken and his debates quite entertaining. He is honest about himself and his views.

I cannot say the same about Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, Fred Phelps (yeah, he is one of yours)

June 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
    • ballz

provide links to these "facts" or they never happened

June 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
    • Anonymous

Hello Agnostic Front – meet kettle.

June 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  17. Jeff

On the Madonna bandwagon again with her version of Madonna's "Like a Little Prayer". Remember the controversy when that came out? Same s***, different day.

June 15, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
  18. Danko Ramone

I don't have any use for Lady GaGa, I'm not into her music at all, but in her defense, her costume – nunnish or not – is pretty tame compared to the costumes worn by thousands of girls, women, and an occasional man, every Halloween.

June 15, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  19. DM

Wow, she's so deep. Aristotle, Aquinas, Hume, Kierkegaard, Locke, Nietzsche, Sartre .... and now GAGA! lol

June 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  20. tracylord

Everybody misses the point of this video – for a complete analysis and explanation, check http://www.vigilantcitizen.com
    The best analysis of mass-entertainment and its occult source and message.

June 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Yawn. Your remedial bronze age nonsense has no use here at the ADULT table.

June 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm |