home
RSS
June 14th, 2010

Sexy nun too far for Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga appears in costumes resembling a nun's habit in the video "Alejandro."

Tough story to ignore this week, it's one that's making noise across the religious blogosphere.

Lady Gaga's exceptionally long music video (which apparently people still make) "Alejandro" uses a lot of Catholic imagery - including Gaga dressed up as a sexy nun in a shiny red and white habit and eating a rosary.

Another pop star, Katy Perry, had this to say on her Twitter account:

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.

When Katy Perry, whose big hit is "I Kissed a Girl," tweets that your music video is crossing the line into blasphemy, you may be in trouble.

Perry told a French radio station over the weekend she is a big Gaga fan, but:

I think sometime spirituality and sexuality are separate things, and when you put them together it gets interesting for some people.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. Rick S.

Outrageous sells to kids. Pushing boundaries is what youth is all about. Madonna, Manson, et al have done it for years. Gaga is not stupid, and has someone putting together good tunes for her (him or it)- then gets in front of a camera and pushes limits of good taste and social values. It works. Big Deal. Her (his or its) 15 minutes will be over soon. It does intrigue me how some of you "intellectuals" use every opportunity to flaunt your arrogance about your obviously superior mental capacity by abusing anyone who professes beliefs about right and wrong. I agree with the earlier poster- Gaga, show you really got the stones- ridicule and insult Islam next time, big girl ( guy, whatever)

June 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  2. justin

I guess we will now have to invent a new word... NILF. So much hotter then the MILFs.

June 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  3. Ben Cooper

Hey, GaGa! Try making your next video dressed as a Muslim imam. Find yourself a black robe, beard and a Koran. Then eat the Koran while you dance. Yeah, don't play it so safe by maligning nuns.BORRRING! Break some new ground. Man up here. Take on the mudering Muslims and stick it to them; otherwise, we all know you don't have a set.

June 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
    • Dennis

My thoughts exactly!
      Or she could bring-out a Mohammed look-alike.

June 17, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  4. mpbsz

Whats it to gain the world and LOOSE your soul. I pray that people wake up AND proclaim THE name of JESUS CHRIST!

June 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  5. Mark

Catholic Imagery? Acultish imagery is more approprate. "Do as thou wilt" Do what you wanta do. Its my life and i will do as i want. nothing new. nothing creative, nothing beautiful.

June 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
    • Jack

I believe the word you were looking for was "Occult," not "Accult"

June 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  6. Mike

It's only blasphemy if you believe it.

June 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  7. P-Diddy

Lady GaGa is a joke anyway. She's horrible. I've seen her perform twice and both made me gag gag.

June 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  8. SIM_o

I don't get it. Is this an homage to Madonna or just a total rip-off? Is there a collective amnesia going on right now where we have all forgotten 'Like a Prayer' (or much of Madonna's early work) and the conclusions drawn from it? The real controversy here is the pairing of bloated wallets with feeble creative energy producing empty, unoriginal , overproduced crap like this. Picking on Christians is nothing new and a pretty lame way to generate a buzz around your 'art', and I say this as a non-religious person. I agree with EastCoast entirely; if you want to pick on religion, at least pick one that bites back!

June 16, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  9. Oana

well I am not one to really practice religion but I do believe in God. And even if I was an atheist I would not make fun or ridicule other people's beliefs. Those who do so are uneducated morons (including lady GAGA) who have no arguments and nothing intelligent or new to come up with so they judge or make fun of other people. Religion is too personal to mix with "art", music or whatever, I personally do not get directly offended cause it's not worth it but I can totally understand people who react to that. It's very bad taste, she obviously loves attention and controversy. So sad...

June 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  10. michael troop

This video is stunning and I find the imagery beautifully powerful. It is time that we open our minds to the art and stop forcing religious censorship upon others. The church is a house of corruption and has caused its foul image yet artists like Lady Gaga still treat it with respect in their video productions. To attack artists for their expression while allowing deviant behavior within the church it typical hypocrisy and a reason that Christianity is becoming a losing figure in the religious community

June 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  11. Mark H.

Ok..let's see, Madonna became famous without looks or talent by acting and dressing outrageously. I can't sing and I an't pretty, but I'll act and dress outrageously and the stupid American public will fall for it and I'll laugh all the way to the bank. Yeah, that's it!

June 16, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Jack

As much as you may not like to admit it, it is clear that GaGa is an immensely talented singer and performer. If you read a little about her background, you would know she gained early entrance to NYU's Tisch School of the Arts studying music.

That being said, I don't care all that much for her music, although I can recognize a beautifully powerful voice when I hear one.

June 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
    • ec

Jack, I think you are confusing 'talented singer' with Autotune. I haven't heard one of her songs where Autotune was not used extensively.

June 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  12. odojoe

That is a Knights Templar outfit not nun garb.

June 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  13. EastCoast

C'mon.. .GooGoo... i wanna see your next video with a picture of Mohammed in a bathing suit ....

C'mon tough girl, show you got the danglers... unlike Parker and Stone.

Pick on a religion that might bite back.

June 16, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  14. CATOm

No dressing up as a catholic nun is not going to far for her. Being a man with an adams apple and pretending to be a woman IS going to far for her.

June 16, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  15. Attickus

What I find so funny about this article is that Katy Perry is speaking out against GaGa. When she has NO Freedom to speak in this subject... Katy Perry was on a Christian Music Label... her parents are both pastors, she was raised a Christian and yet she released a completely blasphemous song "I kissed a Girl" which the bible clearly condemns. They are both out of line.

June 16, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  16. LadyGagarocks

Who cares? There are worse things to worry about besides what she's wearing. She's trying to shock you and it worked. None of you people live by "God's Bible" anyway cause you judging. I think religion is one big joke. Lady Gaga rocks.

June 16, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  17. Richard Head127

Lady GaGa go eat some CaCa...

June 16, 2010 at 10:36 am |
    • dave

She could eat some of her CD's.

June 16, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  18. winston o'boogie

What's In a Name? Lady GaGa makes me gag.

June 16, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  19. Monica

Didn't get the connection between the video and the song. In any case, it sounds and looks like a mix of Michael Jackson and Madona. I didn't find it creative.

June 16, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  20. REGINA

Why is it "Freedom of speech" if you are knocking someone's religion; but not considered freedom of speech if you are verbalizing praise of or practing your own faith/religion in your life?

June 16, 2010 at 9:47 am |