home
RSS
June 14th, 2010

Sexy nun too far for Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga appears in costumes resembling a nun's habit in the video "Alejandro."

Tough story to ignore this week, it's one that's making noise across the religious blogosphere.

Lady Gaga's exceptionally long music video (which apparently people still make) "Alejandro" uses a lot of Catholic imagery - including Gaga dressed up as a sexy nun in a shiny red and white habit and eating a rosary.

Another pop star, Katy Perry, had this to say on her Twitter account:

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.

When Katy Perry, whose big hit is "I Kissed a Girl," tweets that your music video is crossing the line into blasphemy, you may be in trouble.

Perry told a French radio station over the weekend she is a big Gaga fan, but:

I think sometime spirituality and sexuality are separate things, and when you put them together it gets interesting for some people.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. Shistar

Oooo i just analyzed the vid again....Notice how she's in nun garb.....wearing inverted crosses (which btw the pope has an inverted cross that says "In place of God" in latin) and being totally..............umm... "ganged" up on by a bunch of men in high heels......And how this came out after the S#x scandal was blown up involving the Church...... Gee...... I wonder.

June 17, 2010 at 12:46 am |
  2. deetzson

every time gaga does something knew, she proves exactly how influential Madonna really is

June 17, 2010 at 12:21 am |
  3. nita

It's quite sad that many artist today feel the need to make a mockery of something sacred to many people ( religion) so they could extend/maximize their exposure in the spotlight .

June 17, 2010 at 12:19 am |
  4. Babs McGee

I'm an athiest, and even I think this is just in poor taste. Of course, I'm not a big Lady Gaga fan. I will admit that I LOVE to bellar along to "Bad Romance" when it comes on the radio. While I doubt this will cause any permanent damage to anyone, it is just stupid. But then again, so is 97% of current pop culture.

I understand my parents so much more these day!!

June 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  5. Dawn

That's not a nun costume, that's.... White Mage.

June 16, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  6. Hahahaha

I'd like to point out that nuns do not appear anywhere in the Bible and have nothing to do with Christianity in general, as evidenced by the fact that there are zero protestant religions who have nuns.

June 16, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • Joesph

TheOrthodox Christians, Anglicans, Lutherans,church has nuns
      They are Protestant

June 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  7. Mr. Genius

@Jack H: Does the H stand for Hitler?

June 16, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  8. HneryO

The upside-down cross is a symbol of devil worship. You should at least know that for the sake of your children, whether you believe in God or not.

June 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  9. SCdad

What is horrible is that Katy Perry would defend a belief in magic creatures that dictate conditions for getting into an afterlife. What not argue over Santa, or the Tooth Fairy? I just can not understand why people believe in this stuff today. Christianity is destroying our country, yet many people see it the other way around. You'd think they were all on drugs or something.

June 16, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  10. Clark Dodson Vernick

Lady Gaga is making a mockery of Christianity. Long live the story of the good news and forever more!

June 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  11. Bob Loblaw

I have never heard of Lady Gaga before, but I like her outfit.

June 16, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  12. Kevin Fitz

How much Lady(???) Gag Gag can a person take?

June 16, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  13. frg

Even though I am a religious person and respect all religions, it is everyone's choice to do something. Her choice, not ours. It is simple enough to turn the other way. It is a recycled concept anyway.

June 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  14. mae

It was a strange decision for her to do this when just recently she publically stated she is very religious. I guess she says whatever comes to mind, be it true or not.

June 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  15. Sam

It's neither here nor there, but not sure why those who portend not to care that much about religion spend so much time bashing it.

June 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  16. Dave in Connecticut

I agree with Katy Perry, using religion in that way is a cheap parlor trick to sell records and is not a good example for youngsters. Gaga has no class, no looks and is now playing with fire.

June 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  17. TC

I like Lady Ga Ga but this video to me went to far. I'm tired of them using religion in videos to make a point. Any religion should be off limits in music, yes music video's. I for one won't purchase this one, even though I'm a fan of hers. I think we need to e look at what we put out nowadays so that little girls don't dress up like tramps and ho around at a grammer school show. Something has to stop! She did go to far this time, so did Madonna and a tad of Christina. Politics and Religion for sure should not be in music video's.

June 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  18. jack

Madonna?

June 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  19. EZ

I dont see what the big deal is. If people dont like seeing what she is wearing, dont watch it. That's it.

June 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  20. udidn'tcheck

Sorry guys, I know she's really popular but she's really boring. Even with this. She has a great voice. But it's like receiving a beautifully wrapped gift only to find out the box was empty. I wish she'd get even a modest education so that her lyrics may one day match the sound.

June 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm |