home
RSS
June 14th, 2010

Sexy nun too far for Lady Gaga?

Lady Gaga appears in costumes resembling a nun's habit in the video "Alejandro."

Tough story to ignore this week, it's one that's making noise across the religious blogosphere.

Lady Gaga's exceptionally long music video (which apparently people still make) "Alejandro" uses a lot of Catholic imagery - including Gaga dressed up as a sexy nun in a shiny red and white habit and eating a rosary.

Another pop star, Katy Perry, had this to say on her Twitter account:

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.

When Katy Perry, whose big hit is "I Kissed a Girl," tweets that your music video is crossing the line into blasphemy, you may be in trouble.

Perry told a French radio station over the weekend she is a big Gaga fan, but:

I think sometime spirituality and sexuality are separate things, and when you put them together it gets interesting for some people.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. GODISI

Yes Catholics are using this kind of media to take the focus off of them. Do not be brain washed by religion its a joke do not belief it for a sheep second. The need your money that is all they are interested in. Trust me I know all about it. I was involved in the church for years and watched them money out of everyone. WAKE UP PEOPLE

June 19, 2010 at 1:16 am |
    • James Andrews

@ GODIS – You know ... if I were to make a similar stereotypical statement but substitute the word "Catholics" for "blacks", I would be accused of a horrible wrong. Judging all Catholics by a few is no better than judging all blacks (or anyone else for that matter) by a few.

June 19, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  2. Me

She looks so fake. Her best looks were as a natural burnette, and in normal poses.

June 19, 2010 at 12:09 am |
  3. Chance

Look at what Madonna did 20-25 years ago, look at what Gaga has done and what she is doing now. it's a formula, and she'll make a lot of money off of following it. I doubt it says anything about her beliefs, other than she'd say or do anything for a buck and for attention

June 18, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
    • Clueless

I guess it is about money, most likely coming from teens I would assume. How sad and shameful. God help us.

June 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  4. Get Real

Lady Gaga is nothing but a cheap, recycled Madonna wannabe. This cheap type of attach on the Church was a bore in the 80's and is today. Give it up!

June 18, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
    • Bored

Who buys into this crap? Who is her fan base anyhow? 12 year girls with no father figure I would assume...

June 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  5. Toadstool

I'm not a huge fan but I like her. I saw this video and my thought was: she's trying to outdo the Madonna religious thing, the costume went too far, but it was this very unique in her way.

June 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  6. Ric

Most performers with marginal talent, always choose to shock .. Heard her music..not impressed..

June 18, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  7. Jim

I want to see her dress as Mohammad next. If you think the Catholics complain, let's see what the Muslims have to say.

June 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  8. Carol

One of the functions of art is to encourage discourse and Lady Gaga certainly does that. Art can spur us to reconside, to take time to think about what we accept as "normal."

June 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  9. Bishop

Lady Gaga is doing nothing but trying to cause controversy. Which she has successfully done.

June 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  10. 1jimmyhoffa

NUNNS ARE HOT WOMEN TOO!!!!!!!!

June 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  11. neil

Job was a creative blasphemer. Lady Gaga is stale and uncreative.

June 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  12. neil

Not too far. We've been this far.

June 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  13. GettingOlder

I'll be impressed if she has the guts to dress as Muhammad in a video.

June 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Nikita

I now wish she could do something like that with the BURKA. The Muslims would ripe her privates off.....

June 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  15. Blah

I find republicrates saying the economy has recovered to be more offensive than Lady GaGa dressed like a nun.

June 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
    • GettingOlder

What do yo mean? The economy has recovered, at least for their friends.

June 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  16. elo

I'll tell you whats going "too far"...how about twisted perverted pedophiles dressed up as Catholic Priests? Hows THAT for a costume? Go Go Lady Ga gA!

June 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • Noir Angel.

I so agree with you on that on,Its true the concern should for the behavior of these people who are nothing but wolf in sheep clothing pretending to be leaders,,,every other day there is some thing about Priests molestations and it doesn't seem to be any real solutions to the problem.So let Gaga wears the hell she wants to,costume or for real...There are more serious issues than Gaga dressing up as a nun,,Those are issues that need to be taken care of.So let Gaga be...Its not that serious people..Talk about the oil spill,and other serious issues..So Lady Gaga dress up as who and what ever you wish,I certain don't give a damn..Lady Gaga You Rock

June 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  17. JustAGuy

Reply to: please go to Wikipedia and look up Pascal's Wager.

If you believe Pascal's Wager indicates you should believe in God then you must also apply Pascal's Wager to what particular brand of God-worship you subscribe to (Islam, Wiccan, Buddhism etc.) and come to the conclusion that you are probably following the wrong religion. Basically the logic goes "All things being equal what are the odds that being Catholic (or insert your religion here) will lead me to heaven? If there are 1000 different relgions then the chances that mine is the right one is 1/1000 or one tenth of a percent. Coincidentally that's the same odds as someone with no religion!"

I don't know of any religious people or non-religious people that quote statistics as the main reason for their beliefs, but if you do, then you only have an incredibly small chance of being right!

June 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  18. Bubba

It doesn't look much like a nun's habit to me. It looks like some sort of stylized Crusader outfit, with the cross on the front saying "On to the Holy Land!"

June 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  19. Kevin Walker

If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.

There are far too few one-eyed Christians...what does that tell you?

June 18, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Bubba

. . . that eyes are rarely that offensive, or else they apologize very handsomely?

June 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  20. Me

What's wrong with fart jokes? They're usually funny. So is this entire debate. Offended Catholics, instead of whining about Lady Gaga, should be identifying the priests who think the government-run educational program is called "No Child's Behind Left."

June 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm |