home
RSS
June 15th, 2010

Jesus statue struck by lightning

If you've ever driven between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, on I-75 then you probably saw the six-story King of Kings statue featuring Jesus coming out of a lake with hands raised in front of the Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio.

Monday night the statue was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning.

CNN iReporters in the area are all over this story.

The gleaming white statue was unmissable, even speeding down the interstate.

Monroe fire chief Mark Neu told the CNN Belief Blog he's never seen anything like the fire in his 32 years as chief.

He said the 62-foot statue had a steel frame and was wrapped in Styrofoam and covered with a fiberglass coating to protect it. At 11:16 last night, the fire department got the call the statue had been hit by lighting and was on fire.

"It spread from the statue to the amphitheater," he said. "There was heavy damage to the amphitheater where the stature backed up to. It was a fast-moving fire. We’re looking at $700,000 worth of damage."

The chief has spoken with church officials, who have gotten calls about the statue today from as far away as China.

"I know the membership of the Solid Rock Church was devastated by the fire and have every intention of putting the statue and the amphitheater back as is was," Neu said. "They said they plan on rebuilding immediately and moving forward."

Neu said no one was injured in the blaze.

The statue made cameos in loads of Ohioans' snapshots and even made it into the documentary "Jesus Camp."

I once got a speeding ticket not far from it while on assignment. The Ohio state trooper would not give me a warning despite the fact my co-worker in the passenger seat asked if it counted if we had a "news emergency."

Check out Time.com and CNN affiliate WLWT in Cincinnati for more on the story.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Culture & Science • Faith Now

soundoff (1,165 Responses)
  1. righteous-in-Christ

Keep mocking God, keep being stiff-necked, keep being stubborn, keep being fools, keKeep mocking God, keep being stiff-necked, keep being stubborn, keep being fools, keep being disobedient, keep sinning and destructions, corruption, death, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, and every negative thing you do in the eyes of the Lord your God, all of these will become your closest friend! GOD WILL NOT BE MOCKED....PERIOD!!ep being disobedient, keep sinning and destructions, corruption, death, earhtquakes, tornados, hurricans, sunamis, floods, and every negative thing you do in the eyes of the Lord your God, all of these will become your closest friend! GOD WILL NOT BE MOCKED....PERIOD!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Howie

You are a moron.

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
    • vengence

so, you personally speak for this god person?

June 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
    • Cuttingtorch

It's your hell. YOU burn in it.

June 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
    • Just Curious

So, just to be clear...will god be mocked?

June 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
    • righteous-in-Christ

EDITING COMMENT:
      Keep mocking God, keep being stiff-necked, keep being stubborn, keep being fools, keep being disobedient, keep sinning and destructions, keep seeking other non-existent 'god', AND keep creating idols made with human hands, corruption, death, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, and every negative thing you do in the eyes of the Lord your God, all of these will become your closest friend! GOD WILL NOT BE MOCKED....PERIOD!!ep being disobedient, keep sinning and destructions, corruption, death, earhtquakes, tornados, hurricans, sunamis, floods, and every negative thing you do in the eyes of the Lord your God, all of these will become your closest friend! GOD WILL NOT BE MOCKED....PERIOD!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
    • Pooh

Please put the meth pipe down and take a nap...

June 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • Tom

I mock God.

June 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
    • dmmm

They were mocking the statue, not God. You fool.

June 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
    • realistic85

You start out saying "keep mocking god" and end with “god will not be mocked, period”. Did you lose your train of thought in your psychotic rambling? The flaw in your thought too is that your god will and is mocked, constantly. I mock him and you. I mock what you stand for: child molesting, hatred for others different than yourselves, exclusion, and hypocritical ideals. Your god is a mockery of human decency and so are you for worshiping a false idol. If I’m going to your hell, I’ll see you there hypocrite…

June 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Tom

I'm actually mocking god right now and nothing is happening to me.......

June 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Russ

wow.... so when these bad things (floods, tsunamis) happen to good people, it's because they were mocking god? Don't worry about me. I don't mock things that don't exist.... now run along and go play with your other Bronze Age friends in Afghanistan....

June 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • TheRadicalLiberal

You're a loony. And you keep repeating yourself. And man doesn't make tornadoes and hurricanes and earthquakes.

June 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
    • sean

"hurricans" and sunamis"... I guess they don't teach spelling in sunday school.

June 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
    • BLESSED

AMEN

June 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
    • Lookingforhope

What ever happen to the american way of agreeing to disagree. There is so much anger in these replys. Howie, do you curse at every one you walk past? Pooh and Tom, what motivates you? Everyone seems to just want to kick your fellow person if they have a different beliefs???

June 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
    • Josh

How is this mocking God? If anyone is being mocked, it would be the this church of Laodicea and it's pastor. Seriously... building a six story styrofoam Jesus that costs 700k? And have you seen the pastor's house and horse stables? Those stables are nicer than my house. Tell me how any of this is honoring your god?

June 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
    • Abraham Lincoln

Sorry to inform you, but I mock god all the time. So your statement "god will not be mocked" is decidedly false.

June 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
    • darwin

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Im shaking in my boots.
      p.s. thanks for the boots god.

June 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
    • MonkeyShine

Ahhhhahahahaha!! HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

June 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
    • NJ Bob

You are babbling away but you are making no sense!
      Anyway, this story just made my day!! I haven't seen anything this funny in a long time!

June 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • Mark C

Do the gene pool a favor and blow what passes for your brains out now.

June 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
    • Marlye

Keep being an idiot, keep being annoying, keep being a joke.

June 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
    • John A.

"earhtquakes, tornados, hurricans, sunamis, floods, and every negative thing you do in the eyes of the Lord your God"

So earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis and floods are done by people now?

June 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
    • soledman

psycho babble... likely a loner who's only friend is god...

June 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
    • MikinAZ

Jesus Christ – Are you off your meds? Is there someone we can call for you? I'm sure they will give you a ride back to your padded room.

June 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
    • Fool-no-more

Just when I start to rethink God, Christ, christianity (again) someone like you reminds me how foolish [his] people can be.

June 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

Babies and puppies die in tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, etc. Why would I respect a thug who kills babies and puppies?

June 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
    • Call2arms

Sounds like you can hardly wait for the rest of us humans to feel the wrath. I pray that Gxd protects us from His followers...

June 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
    • thedosai

my poor friend, too bad christians do not practice what they preach.

June 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
    • Noah

I don't mock god, I mock the ignorant fools such as yourself that believe in something so absolutely ridiculous and can't see the fact that religions were created by man to repress fellow man. Great line from the movie The Book of Eli about the bible" It's not just a f*@king book, it's a weapon aimed at the hearts and minds of the weak and desperate!" Nothing truer could be stated. It boggles the mind that even to this day thousands of years later people are still so weak and desperate enough to believe the ridiculous stories concocted in not just that book but ALL religulous books. Sheep.

June 16, 2010 at 7:36 am |
    • MikeMazzla

That post gave me a good laugh to start my morning... To say "God" causes destruction and kills innocent people because of mocking shows how ludicrous your rant is and the entire concept of god and religion.

June 16, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • Erik Lee

God is mocked frequently. I. myself, have mocked frequently, without incident.
      The god of Abraham is a silly myth; nothing more.
      You are a silly person and I poop on your "god".

December 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  2. whatever 48

You know, it could be that it was struck by lightning simply because it was the tallest thing in the area where lightning was striking?! I'm just saying, I know it's crazy that maybe God didn't "cause it" to happen. It's quiet possible, lightning just happens.

June 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • vengence

funny how when great things happen, it is "proof of god" and when less than great things happen, "well maybe it wasnt god". Very convenient.

June 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Krreagan

Because "god" is omnipotent/omniscient... nothing "just happens" he/she/it is responsible for everything... rainbows, flowers, babies getting burned to death in daycares in Mexico, tsunamis killing hundreds of thousands of children... you can't have it both ways. Either god is responsible for everything or he/she/it is not!

June 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  3. Rickity Bucket

Commandment number 2. hhhhmmmmmm

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  4. doubleday

well-played!

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  5. zhen

Maybe God is an art critic and this is just a particularly bad review.... Be thankful He has not chosen to be a theater critic – could get REALLY messy for the cast, but great for tabloid headline: "From Review to BBQ in 5 seconds"!

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  6. John Q. Public

...and the fools want to rebuild it, now they're really going to make God angry!

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  7. Hannah

That's what you get for breaking the Second Commandment. Looks like someone got smited by God.......gooooooooooooo God!!!!! woot woot!

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  8. Randor

ROFLMAO

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  9. vengence

and the lord said "vengeance is mine."

June 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  10. Greg

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Awesome post!

June 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  11. 2BEFREE

What ever happened to "Thou shalt not worship graven images" Just asking???

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
    • james

That is a very good point. It is kind of a grey area when it comes to statues like this one. It is possible to have this statue and not worship it, but maybe it had become an idol to a lot of people so God took it down. Or maybe it was a random happening with the weather. I find it humorous that so many people come here and claim it is proof that God doesn’t exist. "See! god doesn’t exist! He let his own statue be destroyed!" -Very small thinking.

June 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
    • Fernando

This kind of statues are not for God... they are suppose to a peace the massive ego of some preachers. I can't imagine God asking or complaining for bigger and better statues.

June 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
    • James

Wasn't so much graven, as styrofoam.

June 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
    • Faber McMullen

I guess then this is a molten image (like the golden calf).

June 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
    • shawna

I think you all need to becareful what you say...With God all things are possible:)

June 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Nobody does idol worship like catholics.

June 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  12. MYTHYX

Damn Zeus!

June 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • ZEUS

Hey, I'm takin' out that freakin' "Creation Science" Museum next!!

June 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
    • Marlye

@ZEUS– Don't forget all the Jehovah's witnesses. Ding, dong.....goodbye.

June 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  13. John Q. Public

God told them not to build idols and they went and did it anyway and now look what happened.

June 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • NewWicca

Yeah...didn't that same thing happen in "the Ten Commandments" with Heston?

Makes you wonder...

June 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • Hotspur

At least back then they made it out of gold not styrofoam. That must have been some toxic cloud while it was burning

June 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
    • Marco Gonzalez

to build and idol is different than building one and to worship it.

June 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  14. amanda

If everything is suppose to happen for a reason, then maybe it shouldnt be re-built. I also think its kinda foolish to spend that much money on making a new statue when their are so many people in need..if u believe, then u believe..I think churches put too much money into materialistic things to make their church stand out..idk... or maybe "he" didn't like the way it made his hair look in this statue??? Makes ya wonder...

June 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
    • RevG

I agree Amanda

June 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • Russ

maybe they should rebuild it in marshmallow. That way when it gets hit again people can enjoy a giant marshmallow roast – Jesus s'mores!

June 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
    • Mark C

Yeah, there's just one question: what sort of halfwit could possibly believe that "everything happens for a reason?"

June 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • Surrree

Mark C: Are you by any chance really ugly or have parents that hate you? I only ask because I would understand your utter disdain for an established faith that countless people base their belief system on if you did not want to believe that you are ugly or have parents that hate you for a reason, cause that would mean its all, somehow, your fault

June 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
    • MikinAZ

I would also agree with you on spending the money on something more "worthy" – to take that amount of fundraising in order to create an idol instead of helping the poor and less fortunate...just doesen't seem very, well, very christian. Pardon – it seems very christian – I meant to say it doesen't seem very Christ like.

June 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Crystal

I agree with Amanda. There are too many straving people out there to spend money on something so irrelevant. I believe in and love God with all my heart. And I also believe that God does not want us to be stupid. That statue didn't make any sense. There are other ways to show your faith, through love and understanding and not through mindless banter about hell fire. Believers and Non-Believer..."can't we ALL just get a long?"

June 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
    • sean

Mark C, your comment is so... so ... so ... stupid, that I dont know where to begin. Lets look at things this way, in Creationism, god created human, god is the cause and human is the result, therefore god is the reason why human came into existence. Now if you're a non-believer, then take science for example, logically, if A leads to B, like the big bang and the universe, then big bang is the cause and the universe is the result, in other words, big bang is the reason why universe exists.
      So yeah, everything has a reason. Like the reason you post this comment is cause by you reading someone else's comment, this story and their own way of thinking.

June 18, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  15. Clara Hill

Proof that "God" is a manmade concept – invented by crazy people to inflict misery on people minding their own business.

June 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
    • MrHanson

Well I hope you and your loved ones live forever.

June 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
    • CHRISEZ

If there WAS a God, she'd be offended by that monstrosity too!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
    • JPBTech

Amen!

June 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Brian

"Well I hope you and your loved ones live forever." <-case in point

June 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • Russ

Right on Clara!

June 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
    • Thompson

I agree wkith Clara Hill.
      my addition is that Nothing upsets me more than all of you "Sunday Christians" that live life as heathens 6 days of the week and judge others, then when something happens or something is not what you expect or want, you quote scripture and act like "supe-Christians". Hypocrates!
      Obviously out of fear. Fear of the unknown.

June 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
    • flip

how exaclty is this proof that God is a manmade concept? i suppose if someone sits on a twinky its proof that the sky is blue? Ive never read such a disconnected statement in my life.. jeesh

June 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
    • TheRadicalLiberal

JC-VA – if you cared to take a few science courses you would have a much beeter understanding of how the universe came into being (Cosmology, Astronomy, Physics) and how life evolved on this planet (Chemistry, Abiogenesis, Biology, Evolution). If you know nothing of those subjects then it is not surprising that you think that everything has some miraculous and magical origin. If you brought a South American Indian who has never seen civilization before into the modern world he would think all of our technological wonders were magic too. You only have your own ignorance to blame. You can educate yourself for free with your computer from the comfort of home but you won't will you? You choose to be ignorant.

June 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
    • Lookingforhope

June 15, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
    • Phage0070

JC-VA – "Fool, look around you and tell me how..."

Matthew 5:22 – "...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

June 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
    • PeterPaulandBob

Some people should read a scientific journal instead of repeating rhetoric they heard while watching the 700 club. Anti-atheism arguments make religious people sound even more ignorant. Your religion stymies free thought and stifles progress. It needs to go away.

June 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • Brandon

@CHRISEZ....she.....you freaks kill me.

June 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
    • LookingforReality

"Lookingforhope

What proof?? The only result is that a metal ,man made ibject got hit by lightning, it only happens 1000 times a day. It is amazing what people will cling to to prove thier point of view."

I could not agree more.....

June 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
    • Sane in the USA

"Fool, look around you and tell me how everything you see and hear and smell came to live..... I wonder who do you go to when times are hard... maybe you go to food for comfort .. i bet you are fat...."

JC in VA: Jesus Christ in Virginia – Your self-righteous logic is the very reason bible thumpers get a bad name. Going from the creation of the universe to Clara being fat in one sentence...brilliant thinking! Your non-judgemental christian way of accepting people with different views is most impressive.

June 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • Dan

Isn’t it ironic how upset atheists get over someone else believing in God? Them getting upset is hypocritical in itself because you made it a point to click on an article or read something related to God. Wouldn’t just ignoring people who believe in God make more sense for you? Ah, but that’s not the case, you need still search for some “proof” that God doesn’t exist…but I thought you already believed that…hypocrites.

June 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
    • LookingforReality

Gee Dan, it would make sense if every time a science article was published, the religious zealots would leave it alone.. but, noooooo... so, now it is our turn.. get over it!

June 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
    • LB

Proof? Proof?? Seems to me that if you need "proof" that God doesn't exist, then your FAITH that God doesn't exist is not a solid as it could be. Hmmmm?

June 15, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
    • wf

Why so much hatred toward your creator? what are his crimes?

June 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • The Dude

Uhh, gee Dan, we'd like to ignore you but you're trying to turn the U.S. into a theocracy. Keep your prayers and creationism out of our schools and your religion out of science policy such as stem cell research and maybe we can talk.

June 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm |

Hmmm, I agree with the overall idea that there is not a bearded God in the sky controlling everything on Earth but what about God as a representation of the interconnectivity of people with a common faith? That doesnt sound like its for crazy people at all. Thoughts?
      -The "Real" Superman in Braids

June 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
    • Ken

Hey JC-VA

I am fat... you must be a christian

June 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • Lindsay

Oh Clara, sweetie... Not so and you are cherised and loved.

June 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
    • Q

@wf- Not hatred of the "creator" but rather disdain for human mythological constructs and their self-righteous would-be theocratic advocates. As far as crimes go, I'd say infanticide tops my list...

June 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
    • MikinAZ

So I wonder how Pat Robertson explains this? It is even poetic in that is was struck by lightening and destroed by fire...classic. rofl

June 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
    • John Leo

HI Clara,
      Proof?
      The only thing this event "Proves" is that styrofoam and fiberglass structures can be burned by lighting.
      Have a great day, and be careful around syrofoam!
      John

June 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • Dave C

Well at least we are forgiven for are sins.

June 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

What I find amusing is that many of the so-called Christians questioning your statement are the same ones who would point to a tree and say "See? That's proof God DOES exist!".

June 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  16. Rich Belanich

I used to live in Cincinnati and always wondered about that place. Lighting is an act of God right? Looks like he's trying to draw attention to this membership. Weather it's Good or Bad I'll leave that up for interpretation. " Solid Rock" Not so solid. Thanks.

June 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
    • jekvall

Wonder if insurance will be DENIED under "Act of God" ruling? (grin)

June 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • Soldier1

I agree that people shouldn't have graven images but I also agree that they have free will just as the one mocking Jesus . On atheism : it takes alot more faith to be an atheist than a Christian!! This is fact and science ! as far as different religions killing , unfortunatley this is not limited to a few groups , it's a human being issue that has went on since Cain and able! All the violence of religion in the past is simply a case of flawed humans just as in anybody killing someone. None of this changes thd truth !! God is real and not a myth and anyone who doesn't believe this, will very soon just as sure as the sky is above. You wouldn't judge an oak tree because it's limbs were used for battering rams ! Would you say that marriage is bad merely based on a domestic violence case ! humans are the flaw not the truth in which they believe! I would love to debate with any atheist on there religion . because it also is a belief system one that allows no hope at all . that's easy to believe but who wants too .science also is a Allie of christianity not an enemy ! It does more to prove Gods existience than dissaproves . Afterall God created science.

June 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  17. arwalk

Seems that Jesus was as offended by that thing as I was! Go God!!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:54 am |
    • CHRISEZ

AGREE 100%!

June 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • sabrena

That is just the fact! God is angry with the way churches are doing,how could this so called solid church build a statue of jesus christ coming out from the lake?Jesus christ never sank into the water rather JESUS CHRIST walked upon the water[river].They should think of better things to do with the money because making a statue is like an adolatry.And there are many ophans and widows who needs this money.

June 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • michael S

I am more amused to hear what the statue was made of: styrofoam. Solid Rock Church built a statue out of cheap, enviromentally detrimental material from which we make disposable coffee cups. Solid.

June 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
    • SteveM

Don't confuse a natural phenomena with an act by a mythical, invisible supernatural man in the sky. Get a brain.

June 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
    • Plain and Simple

I concur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
    • Dave C

I agree 100%. i.e. The transformation when the disciples wanted to build a Statue of Jesus, Moses and Elijah. God took care of that idea.

June 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
    • OtherSilentBob

If lightening would have burned down an abortion clinic, or a gay nightclub...the Christians would say this was a sign from God.

June 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  18. Smalls

From Touchdown Jesus to Burnt Down Jesus.

June 15, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • knucklehead61

After further review.....

June 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  19. Chris

Thanks you God!!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:30 am |
    • b4c0n

LOL at that church. Incredibly ignorant architecture, 62ft STEEL frame covered in Styrofoam sitting next to a large body of water?? Thank whoever that nobody was hurt. Now that is science, oh, and the idiots plan to rebuild it ..... brilliant. I also wanted to add, way to be "GREEN" with all that Styrofoam wrapped in fiberglass, two more materials brought to you by science.

June 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • badcyclist

It looks like Jesus was a Terminator.

June 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • AyBee

Sam, you are correct "At least christians are not the one who kill innecent poeple,flying into towers". Lest we forget that it was the Christians that killed Thousands more during the Crusades against Muslims although campaigns were also waged against pagan Slavs, pagan Balts, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians, and political enemies of the various popes(wikipedia). Although this article doesnt take us down that road, we should be careful what we say about the "near past" and try to remember the "far past" also. Not all Muslims hate everyone that oppose them. With rhetoric such as yours though, it wouldnt be hard to. We must educate ourselves

June 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
    • Truth Is Fireproof

For Sam

You're right, you guys don't fly into buildings. You just fill prison cells. Not a lot of atheists in prison buddy. And perhaps you've heard of the Holocaust, the Crusades, American slave trade, the Inquisitions? Christians aren't too keen on statistics or history. Also, methinks thou art a troll.

June 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
    • KansasCity

Before you go saying silly things, remember something along the lines of "Let he whom is without sin cast the first stone".

June 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
    • Thomas

If we subscribe to Clara Hill's dubious sense of proof, this could just as much be evidence of God destroying false idols. After all He did say something about not making graven images and such an image of His son He might take particular offense to: a depiction of the divine cannot rise above caricature.

June 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
    • mikey

So is this a sign? Like when a church is the only (well built) structure standing after a natural disaster? What will Pat Robertson have to say about the sinners of Cincinnati? What did they do to anger the all-mighty? Or was it an act of Alla? Ever think that out of the millions of gods you chose the wrong one?

BTW, christians didn't fly the planes into the towers, they just killed millions over two thousand years who didn't agree with them.

June 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
    • CW

SteveM, a statue of Jesus is not a symbol of ignorance and stupidity.

June 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
    • Art

I used to live in southwest Ohio and drive by this eyesore. I think it's hilarious this tacky piece of crap burnt to the ground. It was an embarassment.

June 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
    • Ken in NC

If they make plans to rebuild it please have them lock the IDIOT out of the room that convienced them to put it at a body of water and instead have them ground the darn thing or maybe if they rebuild it, have them put the IDIOT on top of it in one of GOD's hands. That way GOD can remedy HIS one mistake when he strikes it again.

June 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • CT

This headline is very misleading. "Touchdown Jesus" is the name commonly given to the Jesus that is visible in the endzone at Notre Dame's football stadium. Unless Notre Dame has relocated to Ohio, you should probably change this.

June 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • Mary Ann

And God said..."Let there be light!" Good riddance to that monstrosity of idolitry

June 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
    • oops

Friendly fire?

June 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
    • John Smith

Thanks for all the hate mail, World. It's okay, we're used to it. Thanks for laughing and spitting at everything we believe in and live for. Thank you, thank you, for judging a whole belief based off of some imperfect humans such as yourselves. It's okay. We still love you.

June 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
    • Sheryl

God said thou shall not have any graven images before me. I love Jesus, but graven images are wrong no matter who they are made up of. Ten commandments are to be kept.

June 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
    • realist

It looks like a columbian druglord's compound..nowonder they needed that giant false image of jesus infront of it, or you wouldn't know that it's a church. I bet that's how the "pastor's" house looks like too.. these mega churches are pure concentrated evil...may they burn in hell like that dam idol!!!

June 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
    • rafael bolero

The Return of Zeus!

June 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  20. Leprechaun

Haha!

June 15, 2010 at 11:29 am |
    • Jo Mo

Larry Flynt's erotica Hustler store across the road nearby was spared !

June 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
    • Rebekah

Be honest with yourselves, Solid Rock Church. God controls lightning? YES! God destroys your statue with lightning? YES! You think God maybe doesn't like your statue? Seriously, if you had read a story like this out of the Bible, what would you think? This reminds me of many stories in the Bible. It's very obvious.

June 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • Sarclar

You are all taking this thing way to seriously. It was a lightning storm. Bad weather is to blame, it wasn't the wrath of God. If anything else had caught fire you wouldn't be making these ridiculous accusations. Get the Hell over it. I'm happy to see that one of the worst sculptures ever created is finally destroyed. If they rebuild it hopefully they get someone with artistic skills beyond that of a third grader to design it. It made a mockery of art and religion. Good riddance.

June 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
    • Huge Manatee

I'd like to propose that the statue that was destroyed be replaced with something non-denominational and less likely to be smote. Might I humbly suggest a statue of a huge manatee? That would be especially apropos for a statues sited in a large body of water I think. Everybody likes manatees, they are large placid animals that are pretty much content to eat vegetables and swim around. They never bother anyone and don't hold grudges even when they are run over by drunken fisherman in power boats. So I hope this suggestion will be taken under serious consideration, and remember – "Do Something Good For Huge Manatee".

June 15, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
    • Ron Holliday

CT,
      You may well be correct in their being a staue in Notre Dame's endzone referred to as touchdown jesus. It does not however discredit the notion that there is more than one statue bearing that name. Actually the statue had an abundance of names locally including big butter jesus, quicksand jesus, touchdown jesus, drowning jesus, and many others. To most it was an outlandish eyesore but to some folks with unusual tastes and percetions it was uplifying. Rest assured little crying will be had by its ironic demise but plenty of laughter. Oh BTW thanks Thor.

June 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
    • numbo

Jesus turned into Burning Man by Nature!

June 15, 2010 at 8:41 pm |
    • Omar Qargha

God told us not to make images of Him.

June 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • Manatee Agreer

I am with the idea of the Huge Manatee. They're mellow lovely animals basically loved by all. God created them and no one could ever strike them with lightening.

June 16, 2010 at 11:02 am |
    • Kitty Randall

It's unfortunate this church lost their statue, yet I have to wonder if Jesus would really want people to spend $500,000 on an image of him, or if he wouldn't have preferred that the money go to health clinics, or clean water for a village somewhere, or a school. Just a thought.

June 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
    • Pablo

This is what happens when god gets angry cause people are building and worshipping idols and then putting GODS name on them. Wake up christians jesus and god specifically said "thou shalt not worship idols and false gods" yet you walk into your church every sunday which isnt even the sabbath day and bow down and worship idols like the crucifix which god does not approve of Read your bible. GOD IS ANGRY AT AMERICA for all its sins and satan worship cause if you aint worshipping god your worshipping satan so burn all your crucifixs and any other idol claiming to be the image of christ and seek forgiveness your soul depends on it

June 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
    • Pegasus

Personally, I will miss the Big Butter Jesus. :(

June 16, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
    • rita

How does Pat Robertson explain this one? I'm guessing that he will say that God did it to protest against gays. They always seem to be the patsy, the fall guy, the reason for every natural disaster or man made disaster under the sun. People actually listen to this pitiful man and throw money at his frequent vomit speech. God help us all. God help Pat Robertson. God help the gays.

June 17, 2010 at 9:54 am |
    • Donovan

I'd think twice about the huge manatee idea ... You'd have to worry about giant boats crashing down from the sky ....

June 17, 2010 at 10:36 am |
    • steve

Wow! Something is fishy. Look at all of those high electrical line poles that it missed. This statue was so misguided. All of that money and a bad idea to spend it on. That looks like an extremely expensive church. Looks so much better than most public elementary schools. So much can be done when you are not taxed.

June 17, 2010 at 11:51 am |
    • Gerald

The huge manatee idea is perfect! Especially since manatees are proof of evolution. Those tell-tale hooves on the ends of their flippers and the vestigial back leg bones hidden under the flesh. A perfect statue. Says it all.

June 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
    • Luke Myintthu

Our Christian God is not a revengeful God OR punishing God. Just as Jesus died for our sins, God destroy Jesus statue made by humans for humans' sins in USA (sins of deviating from returning his draw to be in the eternal divinity of blessed life). Period.

June 18, 2010 at 12:20 am |
    • Luke Myintthu

However we, humans, made sins, bad things, in the society, God is patiently waiting for our return to his draw to be in the eternal divinity of blessed life. Since our God is merciful, not revengeful, however a person does bad things to Jesus and God with lack of holy spirit, the person will never get any bad things from God. To be honest, it is NOT God who decide which human to go to heaven and which human to go to hell, it is humans who decide it is heaven or hell where s/he wants to go.

Even when mother nature had to do harm to this world by lightning due to harms by humans to environment, God mercifully save humans and only to destroy Jesus statue. If humans still do bad things, God will mercifully try to save all humans too for our Christian God is slow to anger, rich in kindness, always merciful, and never revengeful.

Sorry for the typo in previous post, when emotions involve, it is not good.

Thanks for reading.

June 18, 2010 at 12:32 am |
    • Mary

After examing the facts of this story, I would have to say that this was an act of God! According Revelations the Anti-Christ shall come upon the world. Though out the bible God has always refered to the deep as a discription of hell or damination. So we have a Jesus statue coming up out of the water. What does this tell you. Well how about the false Massiah. For he will come up out of hell and the world shall know him as the Massiah. Good shot God!

June 18, 2010 at 3:46 am |
    • sean

To all the people talking about their god:

MY GOD'S BETTER THAN YOUR GOD. PERIOD!!!

June 18, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • Papa Pat

Oh, the huge manatee!!

June 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
    • Josh

While poor, confused fundamentalists ponder the literal meaning of this event, everyone KNOWS the REAL answer(s): Clearly Zeus was angry with the Christian god, probably while saying something like "King of kings my ass". Or wait, maybe god gets angry when all of the Bengals pray before their football game – maybe he really does prefer the Browns! Or maybe there was an infertile couple who had just married in the area (á la the Prop 8 trial). Or god decided to punish the very people who worship him for the fact that he himself 'created' gay people! Who knows what the heck God is thinking? No one has even seen the guy! Oh sure, maybe his image will occasionally turn up in inert form on a grilled cheese sandwich off the interstate somewhere, but all I can say is any statue made with flammable foam just screams quality, as far as graven images go.

June 19, 2010 at 12:42 am |
    • VegasRage

Using Pat Robert's thinking, this is a sign that God is tired of seeing terrible likenesses of his son by perverted people in Ohio engaged in debauchery?

June 19, 2010 at 3:28 am |
    • Paul Hatfield

Christianity: The belief that some Cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever is you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your Master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul, that is present in humanity because a rib woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a migical tree...come on guys, is this NOT the 21st Century here?

June 19, 2010 at 4:14 am |
    • riverstoneman

The reason the Hustler store was spared is because the church made a graven image of the Lord against one of the 10 commandments and should know better. God will look away at some things, but will not tolerate idols or worshipping other gods. The Bible is full of examples where Israel disobeyed in this way and made God very angry.

June 20, 2010 at 5:50 am |
    • Drew

Mother Nature hates Jesus, its really that simple... especially this statue (maybe it wasn't green enough, being made out of fiberglass and Styrofoam.) Lightning has struck this statue, O Christo Redentor in Brazil, Jim Caveziel on the set of the Passion of the Christ not once but twice, and some guy who just happened to be named after our Lord and Savior during a pick-up soccer game. I'm not saying this as a Troll, I'm being completely sincere, look any of this stuff up, I swear its all real.

June 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm |