home
RSS
June 22nd, 2010

Photo spotlight: Hindus, Muslims pray for rain

Hindus and Muslims gather in Ahmedabad, India, on Tuesday, June 22, to pray for rain. The western state of Gujarat and other parts of India are waiting for the annual monsoon rains to cool down the triple-digit temperatures.

- CNN.com Senior Producer

Filed under: Hinduism • Muslim • Traditions

« Previous entry
  1. Jim P.

Simple test: Did it rain within say 72 hours after this "prayer" fest? No? So much for prayer or at least their version of it. A simple, testable hypothesis.

Pryaing may make people feel warm and fuzzy inside but don't fool yourself into thinking it has some magic power or that you'll get a real answer. Pray for the tide to change and be patient and you'll always be rewarded. Pray for rain and it will come, sonner or later, but that happened whether or not you prayed for it.

I rubbed a doorknob this morning on my way to work and asked it to protect me. Sure enough, I got to work just fine, so obviously this doorknob has divine powers.

I've had people pray that I be healed but I am still blind. The gods seem pretty choosy about this stuff. Sort of looks like random chance to me.

June 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Yeah sure, you should rub this doorknob and pray for the oil spill to just go away. I don't know about this rain, but India is becoming a fast growing economy. God must be answering their prayers. We are outsourcing to India big time. We don't know what to do with Afghanistan and we sure don't know what to do with this oil spill either. If you don't want to pray God, its upto you but if we are praying, you shouldn't stop them. Freedom of speech.

June 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  2. TheRationale

Prayer isn't going to do anything and I wish people would get rid of this sort of thinking. I suppose you can't do much else to get it to rain, but I can't see what will come of false hope.

June 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  3. Reality

Like Christians, Hindus and Muslims waste their time praying. They should put their energy into building fresh water reservoirs.

June 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Umme Omar

First of all, there is at least one person here who wastes his time posting hate messages for other faiths.

Secondly, there is power in prayers. God gives us problems so we can connect with Him and reflect on our sins. Like the gulf oil spill.

Finally and most importantly, we can see in this picture that when people have tolerance for each other's faiths, they get along well. Muslims and Hindus are two different faiths but they have left their differences behind. These prayers have drawn them closer. May God bring rain to them. India is fast becoming a technology power. God is listening to them.

June 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
    • steve88

I don't mean to come off hateful, but it just seems like your shooting yourself in the foot, If you may be able to do something more. Just understand that not all of us atheists intend to come off as condescending and mean;
      -We just don't see why you rely on beliefs that are probably just another set of man-made beliefs. But I suppose the value of one's mental state may depend on prayer&belief, how can that be measured I guess... (Though I suspect, in large part, it is only needed, because it is believed to be necessary to begin with O.o),

June 23, 2010 at 1:14 am |
    • Reality

Umme Omar stated: "Muslims and Hindus are two different faiths but they have left their differences behind. " vs. the following:

179 Hindus and foreigners killed in Mumbai/Bombay by Islamic fundamentalists , 290 injured!!!

Again more evidence of male Muslims following koranic dictates to conquer the world for Allah???

June 23, 2010 at 11:19 am |
    • Umme Omar

Yes Reality, I really don't want to burst your bubble (or anybody else's for that matter) but things have greatly improved between Muslims and Hindus. Yesthere was a time when Hundu Muslim riots or Hindu Sikh riots used to break out almost all the time (with casualties on both sides), but now people have started getting over with it. Quran commands its followers to live in peace with everybody. It also commands us to preach Islam to others in a peaceful way. But since there is no compulsion in relgion, it is Ok if they don't convert to Islam but they all should follow the law of the land. There is one Hindu extremist organization but other than that, Hindus and Muslims work it out pretty fine altogther. There is one peace organization working under Maulana Waheeduddin Khan. You can read his story in Times of India. Hindus are his big followers.

June 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
    • Reality

Umme Omar,

Maybe you can give us the exact verse of the koran that dictates that the "Quran commands its followers to live in peace with everybody. It also commands us to preach Islam to others in a peaceful way". I assume that passage is in Arabic and most of us do not understand it.

By the way, we are still waiting for your response to the following:

For Umme Omar (male or female version) and all male Muslims who have not read the koran, a book of mythical revelations made by a mythical angel named Gabriel to one, warmongering Arab named Mohammed:

Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa.

June 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Ok Reality, if you want me to teach you Quran, then you will first have to drop this offensive language about my faith. We are commanded by Allah to stay away from such gatherings where derogatory words are hurled towards our religion and religious symbols. Whenever people use offensive language, I just report 'Abuse'. What do you say? Do you really want to learn the real message of Quran or you just wasting our time? Again I am not doing this to convert you. I am only here to answer your questions and not your offensive lnaguage.

June 24, 2010 at 9:28 am |