home
RSS
June 25th, 2010

Vatican expresses shock over police raids following sex abuse claims

The Vatican is expressing "shock" over the manner in which raids were carried out Thursday in Belgium following accusations of child sex abuse involving church figures.

The Vatican in a statement Friday registered "strong shock for the manner in which some of the raids were carried out yesterday by the judicial Belgian authorities" and expressed indignation that two cardinals' tombs were violated.

"We also express our regret at some of the infringement of confidentiality, that those victims on whose name the raid were conducted have the right to."

The Vatican also reaffirmed its "strong condemnation of any sinful and criminal abuse of minors by members of the Church" and cited "the need to repair and confront such acts in conformity with the law and teachings of the Gospel."

Police raided the headquarters of the Belgian Catholic Church and searched for important documents in relation to their investigation, police spokesman Jean Marc Meilleur said on Thursday.  They also raided the home of  Godfried Danneels, the former archbishop of the Mechelen-Brussels archdiocese, according to several media reports.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Sex abuse

1. Summer

We need to send some Peace Boats to Belgium. I am just not sure if they should be for the Children or the Priests.

June 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  2. ATL_Mike_former_catholic_proud_atheist

For all those praying for us who condemn the church, religion, god, don't believe, whatever... No need, you can at least leave me out of your prayers. Unless….you are praying that I win the next multi-million dollar lottery. The so-called big guy in the sky knows so many people pray to win the lottery, yet can't find the time to help put food and water on the tables of the needy children. Think for yourself, knowledge is a weapon.

P.S. found god under my bed, oh wait a minute, it was my dog backwards.

June 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  3. Purinoli

Catholic church was long time a terrorist gang according to what terrible crimes against humanity they commited. Crimes against humanity have no limitation period for prosecution. It is time to charge and punish them hardly as an organisation. Managers ( cardinals, bishops, priests...) should be prosecuted as ordinary people if they are involved in crime.

For those who like Mr. Jesus : he was probably a real person. He abandoned a good father's business as carpenter ( aversion to work?) and was killed or maybe just wounded by Romans. These are only more or less reliable hystoric facts, all the rest are stories for children.

June 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  4. Smokemon

There would be no raid if there's no justification for it. Vatican, instead of checking in to see what the reason behind is, starts playing their usual game. They don't care about children; they care about members donations.

June 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  5. ImLiberte

Let me first say that I can understand the hate that you have for the "church" I in no way condone it, but I can understand. For years there has been wolfs in sheep's clothing hiding behind the church to find victims, it is nothing new. (Satan has no new tricks) The thing is that they are not "OF" God, and we know this one reason and one reason only.....they have no LOVE. 1 John 5 says that god is of love and if you can not love you know not God. their agenda was to rob, steal and destroy the ones they abused.....but know this, not everyone in the Church is like those that abused. there are those that really know God and love. It is sad to say that all people in the church are like that like it is sad to say that all blacks steal and are lazy, all Jew's are selfish, all Muslim are terrorists, or that all Native America's are drunks . you should not categorize and be prejudiced.

1 John 5: 6 states "This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth." we know these abuser's was not of God because they lied about who they was...and there they had NO LOVE. nor the spirit of truth.

I will keep all of you who have been hurt by someone proclaiming to be of christ in prayer, that you find God, so you can truly love. PEACE.

June 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
    • nachooooo libre

i dont hate the church.... i do hate pedaphiles and i do hate those that harbor them... well i guess that includes scores of people in the catholkic church who care more about their religious corporation than they do children ..... and before you give some bs about love and hate.... id rather face God knowing that i hate pedaphiles than to face God knowing i help defend them at the expense of abused children....

June 25, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

If you want to start quoting bible verses, I can give you some that contradict the very founding of a church.

June 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  6. JesusIsGay

of course the pope was shocked... he didn't have time to hide is personal collection. he can only pray to god that they didn't find them.

June 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  7. desert voice

I personally find this raid on the Archbishop's office reprehensible. To my understanding, the Catholic Archbishop is a Vatican citizen, and therefore has diplomatic immunity. His office, in such case, is no different from an embassy. If the Church does not put its foot down in this case, soon many other Vatican employees will undergo the same fate! Something must be done to protect the innocent, until proven guilty. What happened in Brussels is unconscionable!

June 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
    • anagarm_kid

desert voice,
      What has happened to thousands of children is what is unconscionable! The Church has had plenty of time to deal with this and has only acted when the loss of money is at stake. I cannot believe anyone can defend this corrupt company. And yes, it is a business – selling salvation to those who think they need a 3,400 year old book to tell them right from wrong.

June 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • trooperchix

...again, a sovereign state created under Nazi influenced fascist Benito Mussolini....

June 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  8. Kukulkan

Abuse authority to enter sacred places you don't belong, intrude on privacy and cause emotional grief...Doesn't feel so good does it? P.S.-The cops should return that gold back to Central/South America.

June 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  9. Ficheye

Are my comments being posted? I don't believe in the immaculate conception. I don't believe in pervert priests. Sorry for the catholics that it all turned out the way it did.

June 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  10. Wraith

ROFLMAO..... Priceless and very creative.

June 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  11. Tim

Angry Catholic, maybe if you and your "look the other way" religion actually did lock the THOUSANDS not hundreds of guilty sodomites up, things would be better. But since you don't, and seem to be ok with the actions of your church leaders, until it is brought back to the forefront, then I agree wtih mark.

June 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
    • Angry Catholic

Tim,

Me personally? I have written letters in disgust. to church officials and political leaders. I do condemn these church officals, as well as the methodist leaders, lutheran leaders, soccor coaches, etc that do the same thing.

I hope you have done something in your community to stop crime as well. Otherwise, by your logic, you support the pedophiles around you as well.

June 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
    • desert voice

What I see here, is the misterium iniquitatis" at work, only in reverse. Normally, by misterium iniquitatis we mean that the Holy Spirit is convincing the people about evil. Here, however, the evil is taking individual cases, quantifying them, and turning them into a "myriad"! The whole world seems to be attacking the greatest Church on earth for sins of a few. The evil spirits, that is. They magnify every incident, beyond proportion and comprehension. Don't you see, that the great majority of these so-called "abuses" were not sodomy, but rather an innocent infatuation with boys, a puppy love? The accusations of sodomy are being tossed around by satan! This is what John Paul II called the misterium iniquitatis (Dominum et Vivificantem, 4).

June 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • Tim

Angry Catholic, being a former police officer I have done my job of getting as many of these parasites off the street. I applaud you for taking a stand against people from your church. You are the first person I have seen online that posted that they have at least let their church know that thay are angry with what is going on.

Desert Voice, did you actually read your comment before posting it? You called it " an innocent infatuation with boys, a puppy love?" Are you serious????? Do you actually think that is acceptable from these men who are put in positions of power over trusting young boys. I don't even want to think that you were joking, because that would be even worse. You need to get some serious help to put things into proper perspective.

June 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  12. MikinAZ

So when are we going to arrest the Popephile?

June 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  13. Rwraith

You will notice that those who condemn Christians will yell it at the top of their voices because Christianity is a peaceful religion. 2012 baby ... he's coming and you will regret your harsh words.

BTW... condemn the Muslim faith with the same rhetoric. I dare you. Unlike Christians, the Muslims will kill you and rip out your tongue.

June 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • trooperchix

wow. really? i would trust any muslim I know with my life. I would not, however, trust any organized religions leader of any strip with my kids. especially catholic priests.

June 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  14. David Houston, TX

27,000 children die every day for preventable reasons like malnutrition and unsafe drinking water. If Jesus answers prayers as he promises in the Bible, then why haven't the prayers of billions of people to end world hunger caused Jesus to solve the problem of global poverty? There are not two laws of probability - one for people who pray and one for everyone else. There is a single law of probability that applies equally to everyone. Prayers have zero effect in any statistical study.

June 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  15. Ituri

I'm so glad I live in a time where one can refuse religion and not be threatened for doing so. In the non-religious sense, I live a FULL and wonderful life. Sure, now and then things suck, but thats life. On the whole, who can complain about their lot? One does not need a god to answer the personal and vital questions in life. Sometimes I LOVE an "I don't know" in response. It means there's more out there to learn! For those who feel the need to fill the "I don't knows" with fantasy and self-supported superiority complexes via personal deities, who they then keep in their pocket to justify saying or doing anything they want... I just hope you can find some semblence of peace in THIS world. Its tough when you don't allow yourself to confront reality.

June 25, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
  16. Barbara

I'm sure if the police had politely asked for the information , all information pertinent to the case would have been destroyed. You can not alter proper police proecedure because someone is a priest or bishop...... they are not above the law, although apparently they think they are.

June 25, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  17. Paul

LOL I love to see people fighting over religion.....crazy believers on do not what.....

June 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  18. Christopher

Stop raping children and covering it up and you won't have to worry!

June 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  19. I am the Walrus

Bust down the double doors if they continue to abuse...

June 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  20. Suzie

Separation of church and state, no one is above the law.

June 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm |