home
RSS
July 6th, 2010

NASA administrator: Muslim outreach a top priority

Recent comments by NASA administrator Charles Bolden about Muslim outreach have become fodder for conservative bloggers and left some space buffs wondering about NASA's mission.

"When I became the NASA administrator, [President Obama] charged me with three things," Bolden said in an interview with Al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering."

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Islam • Politics • Science

1. Heather

A goverment agencies priority is to reach out to a religion? Could you imagine if a Republican president had told NASA to reach out to christianity? Liberals heads would be exploding.

Were is the outrage from the liberal left? Were are the screams of seperation of church and state? Were is the media outrage? Were is the ACLU?

December 30, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • SeanNJ

We "liberals" are hoping they'll send all you religious folks into space. Doesn't really matter which ones they start with.

December 30, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  2. Sammy

I think he may have meant that the Muslim outreach was the foremost of the three new priorities given to him. Not the foremost for NASA as a whole.

July 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
  3. Lardoggy

THIS IS RACIST from my view. NASA should be about space exploration NOT making Muslins happy. Give me a break!

July 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  4. BeTheCode

Hey Luke, How does it feel to have spent so much time defending what turned out to be 'something, someone, mis-spoke'? Please come debate this some more and defend the top priority to reach out to Muslims. Thanks.

July 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  5. Todd

everything Obama does is for the destruction of America.. Anway, i live in China so what?

July 12, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  6. spsinit

And now they say it was all a mistake. He miss spoke. Wrong! They are just lying now. Now we can't even trust NASA.

July 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
    • BeTheCode

'He mis-spoke' is the liberal way of saying I lied and got caught so now how do I get out of it. Oh yeah, I mis-spoke. :)

July 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  7. jjdiii

Maybe NASA can help Iran put up their "communications" platform with 6 300 lb "instruments".

July 8, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  8. Nemesis

History in the making....Muslim women will be sporting Spacesuits instead of burqas?! Space will set them free. Sanctuary from being stoned to death.

July 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm |