home
RSS
July 12th, 2010

Pastor to wounded missionaries in Uganda: 'God is bigger than any evil'

People watch the World Cup final at a restaurant in Kampala late on July 11, moments before blasts tore through the crowds.

The Rev. Kathleen Kind leads the Pennsylvania congregation that saw five missionaries injured in yesterday's Uganda bombings. She spoke with CNN Monday morning about the condition of the injured and about how the incident would affect future missions at the 500-member Christ Community United Methodist Church in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.

What’s the latest on the injured missionaries from your church?

Those injured are receiving medical treatment and a number of them are en route to other hospitals for more specific or higher quality medical services. Everybody is alive and everybody is stable. We had six people in our group and five of them were injured, some seriously. Some of the wounds involve broken bones and shrapnel. The State Department, the consulate and the General Board of Global Ministries, an agency of the United Methodist Church, are all working together to provide as much care as necessary for our team members.

What kind of work were the missionaries doing?

The group was on a four-week mission, doing some building and evangelism-type work, meeting with small groups and a women’s retreat and children. We have a sister congregation there, Bwaise Pentecostal Church, and our folks were working with them on a construction project. We had 14 people there. Eight came home last week and six had stayed because they felt they had more work to do. They were scheduled to come home early this week but we don’t know when they’ll come home now.

What impact do you think the bombing and the injured missionaries will have on broader Christian missionaries?

It creates more of an urgency to make sure we are being faithful to how God is calling us to address the evil that exists in this world to make sure that we are constantly reminding ourselves that God is in the midst of this and that God is bigger than any evil.

Do you worry that this will dissuade would-be missionaries from going to Uganda or elsewhere?

We know that this is something that can happen at home as well. That’s the reality of the world in which we live. We are not going to be motivated by fear. We’re motivated by the love of God has for us. And this church is very mission minded. Many people have a strong heart for the people of Africa. Every other year we send a mission to our sister congregation in Uganda.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Africa • Christianity • Methodist • Missionaries • Protestant • Uganda

1. Uganda

Testing please ignore

There are NO CNN Mod Squadders like you continue to trick yourself into believing!!! It is a basic sof-twa-re program that blocks out certain words and phrases. In fact, the list of these words that activate this sof-twa-re has been actually presented SPECIFICALLY TO YOU on numerous occasions.

March 3, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  2. Uganda

Testing please ignore

March 3, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  3. Uganda

testing please ignore***

The fact that you and "most of the Christian posts proving you to be wrong" can't figure out how to successfully post goes back to the studies which show the more someone believes in religion, the lower their intelligence levels. This isn't rocket science. It's "amazing" how the posts the Christians are supposedly trying to "prove wrong" are able to get posted. It is because those people are intelligent enough to figure out how to post here.

March 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Uganda

testing please ignore

And yet you STILL think that these CNN Mod Squadders exist in an effort to conspire against you!!! This is BEYOND delusion. This is actual PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA. From the Mayo Clinic's definition: "In paranoid schizophrenia, a common delusion is that you're being singled out for harm." You have said that same thing that the Mod Squadders are censoring you over and over and over again on countless threads.

It is like I'm listening to the poor man's version of A Beautiful Mind.

March 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  4. Uganda

testing... please ignore

***Twice I tried to post the appropriate way to read scriptures on Noah's flood. As I said, it wasn't global, it was regional.***

There you go again thinking that you know "the appropriate way to read scriptures." Here's the reality: No one knows for sure.

If the flood was regional as you claim, then I suppose ALL life on the planet lived in that region too. After all, God claimed to destroy all life.

*****But, the CNN mod squadders refuse to accept this post, as is most of the Christian posts proving you to be wrong about how you interpret the Bible. I find that odd. What is it folks in the bible, THEY don't want you to know.*******

I say this in all seriousness: You are completely delusional. This has been explained to you OVER and OVER again by NUMEROUS people and yet you STILL won't accept it.

Guess what? My posts get hit by the "CNN mod squadders" all the time and guess what? Yep... I have ALWAYS found a way to post what I wanted to say.

March 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  5. David Johnson

@Da99en

You said, "I know it's true,every jot & tiddle is 100% true."

How do you know it's true?

August 8, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  6. David Johnson

@Holy Quran

You said, "Yes God is the biggest one as he has created this universe and us people. No one can compare him with others or evil. There is only one God and that is ALLAH the most merciful."

How do you know the Christian god didn't create the universe and us people? Or the Hindu god(s)? Do you feel it in your heart that ALLAH is the one true god? Do you know this because the Quran tells you it is true? I'm interested. Not wanting to put you down.

August 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  7. David Johnson

Rev. Kind said, "We know that this is something that can happen at home as well. That’s the reality of the world in which we live. We are not going to be motivated by fear. We’re motivated by the love of God has for us."

God didn't protect the missionaries did he? Or did I miss something.

What would have been different, if there was no god? LOL

August 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
    • Complete in Thee

David,

God never said life would be easy, He only said we would never go alone... Do all of you atheists honestly think God will never let bad things happen?My God is not some grandfather that loves everybody and everything. My God hates sin, He hates wickedness, He hates the Devil. My God is a jealous God, which is why He has commanded that we shall not worship any other God but Him. Life is not a joyride, He will send trials, tribulations, temtations, and tests, because we must be firm in our faith. We are not saved through goodworks, but by grace through faith. While I do not particularly agree with the idea of these missionaries being sent out by a woman pastor, that's not the point. These missionaries were hurt while over in a foreign country, sharing the Gospel and helping these men and women who deserve this knowledge as much as we Americans. The truth is none of us deserve what God has so mercifully bestowed on us, His forgiveness, His love and the ability to worship Him. I am praying for everyone of you, God bless. Please pray for me as well, fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I have a feeling that God wants me over in Uganda sharing His word. :) Thank you all.

November 11, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  8. Holy Quran

July 15, 2010 at 6:48 am |
    • sealchan

If you are a Muslim...what does the Quran teach about God and evil? I'm curious.

July 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  9. ReconsiderEverything

it was a forbidden fruit, it never said apple, as if that negates whether it is myth or not

July 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
  10. Cheryl

July 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
    • The Jackdaw

What a christian way of stating your point.

July 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Cheryl

You said, "Gary you can't blame anyone for anything because you don't know, I wasn't there I don't know but I believe and that's all that is necessary and by the way it wasn't a apple read your B I B L E !!!!! I wrote that very slowly so you would understand."

I love it when you Christians show the love and tolerance of the Jesus you say you have a relationship with.

Who cares if it is an apple or a watermelon? The whole creation story is a myth. No talking snake. No knowledge or life giving fruit. No young earth. No 6 day creation. All myth.

You can type really fast for Gary. He is pretty quick.

August 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  11. fairytales

anyone read cinderella? sounds like a lot of you did You really don't understand but you think you are so intellegent wow what a mess we live in

July 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  12. Vynn

If God exists, and God created everything, then God created evil as well as good. So how can the one be greater than the other if both come from God? God is Evil, not greater than it. And God is also good, not less than it.

July 14, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  13. Dave

"God is bigger than any evil"

God is human belief. Evil is human choice. No God can ever override evil, only people can do that. The truth of this is self-evident. Plenty of evil exists in the church as it does everywhere there are bad people.

July 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Dave

If god is all knowing, there is no free will. Everything is predestined.

August 7, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  14. Gary

FlatEarther Tx,La are great states who didnt vote in Obama and demo congress. Obama and demos are trying to bring down oil companies and NASA and all our economic base. They use Gore and other American hating global warmers to ruin us.

July 14, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
    • FlatEarther

Well, maybe Jesus will give me permission to tazer them!

July 14, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Gary

Not loving Obama and the Dems is your one failing. If thou wouldst be perfect, repent! Obama and the Dems will forgive you.

There is an evil Gary, and they are Republicans. Go Gary! And sin no more!

August 7, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  15. FlatEarther

I can see that. I mistrust congress more than companies anyway. I think we are doomed to mess up our world until we perfect free clean energy anyway.

July 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  16. Rev. Al

Ah ... which God are you talking about–the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Shinto (Gods/Goddesses), the Great Spirit, etc.? We humans were not made in any deity's image. Rather we made deities in our image. Don't believe this? Fine by me.

July 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  17. Praise the Undead!

All glory to the omnipotent Zombie Jew, Jesus!

July 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
  18. Deanna

I used to doubt there is a god-then.......I saw the ocean-all the beautiful fish and creatures...every creature has a pupose-

July 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • FlatEarther

Beauty, grandeur and complexity is not proof of the all mighty. It is proof of beauty, grandeur and complexity and it is all explained by science and destroyed by BP.

July 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
    • Wolfgarr

@FlatEarther: Agreed!

July 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
    • David Johnson

And what did you think the first time you saw a blood filled tick, a tumor on a childs brain or a 6 foot tape worm? Did you find beauty in these? If we credit god with all the beautiful things, we must also give him credit for the horrid.

I would much rather think these things had a natural cause than that a god created them. Cheers!

August 8, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  19. cheryl

He already has its just that hardly anyone is paying attention its all about them and what they think guess what it don't count we have all this destruction in this world now as in biblical times because of sin remember Adam and Eve blame them!

July 14, 2010 at 11:57 am |
    • FlatEarther

So the end game plan created by the all powerful beings is……...unnoticeable……..because Eve ate fruit? No, I'm sure it involves tazers and squirt guns filled with holy water.

July 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • asrael

Somebody is having .....way too much fun...

July 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
    • Gary

Cherly , did adam and eve have belly buttons? I cant blame ficticious characters in a book for anything

July 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  20. relians

god is the greatest evil

July 14, 2010 at 11:38 am |
    • FlatEarther

Jesus is going to taze you and the rest of the evil relians!

July 14, 2010 at 11:50 am |