home
RSS
July 21st, 2010

Haggard back in the pulpit

Ted Haggard is back preaching, and his new church is growing.  CNN affiliate KUSA sat down with Haggard this weekend.  One the most interesting responses from Haggard:  "I lost my faith to the point I didn't think God could use a person like me."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Culture wars • Houses of worship

1. Gary

Stanley , I experience pride all day long. Unfortunalty have been envious of certain friends never jealous though. As far as greed no way ..I work too hard for little pay. I also give too much to charity ....paralized Vets and pet adoption and humane societies. ....Not sure why you were asking but I am glad to answer. to fix your ignorance or stupidity ...well I suggest read as much history books . go online and read short texts on history and current events. I also suggest travel . experience other cities and enviorments to open your mind and thought process. if financially able travel internationally.

July 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  2. Toby

Simply put, Rick Warren is a huckster and charlatan who uses religion to sell his books and control those around him.

July 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  3. Gary

Stanley if you have to read a religous text to know that stealing,cheating on your spouse,lying,killing are bad things you are not the sharpest tool in the box!

July 22, 2010 at 10:32 am |
    • NL

Yet, it seems that you do need a religious text to know that chopping off your foreskin is a good thing. Same for knowing how much to sell your daughter in slavery for, why it's wrong to mix fabrics in your clothing, and that being gay is unnatural.

"I think that on the balance the moral influence of religion has been awful. With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil. But for good people to do evil - that takes religion." Steven Weinberg

July 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • Stanley

Gary,
      You might be the type that doesnt experience envy, jealousy, pride and greed etc...Turns out, I might not be the sharpest tool in the box.
      Any solutions to "fix" these?

July 23, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  4. Gary

Stanley, most of us humans dont need to read a book to be good people!

July 22, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  5. TheRationale

What scares me not is that there are crazy men like Haggard who exist.
    What scares me is that people listen to him.

July 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
    • peace2all

@TheRationale.... You got that one right..!

July 22, 2010 at 2:05 am |
    • Gary

The Rationale , Exactly!!

July 22, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  6. jeff

The sheepeople are ready to give him their money all over again.

July 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  7. Reality

There is a sucker born every minute!!!- P.T. Barnum

July 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
    • NL

I think I read some place that Barnum didn't coin that particular saying, but what he did say was that
      "Every crowd has a silver lining."
      Still applies to Haggard, though.

July 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  8. Eric G

All the tough times this guy went through, all the internal reflection, all the turmoil................... and he still has not picked up a science book?

July 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
    • David Johnson

Eric,

Consider that some (MANY) of these preachers are followers of the P.T. Barnum philosophy: "A sucker is born every minute".

Science would poison that well.

July 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
    • peace2all

@Eric G. Hey Eric.... We can only pray that the big G will help direct him to a science book so he may be saved....:-)

July 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
    • Stanley

Eric, could you recommend a science book?
      You know..maybe some thing that deals with questions like What is Reality? or What does it mean to be a good person? Any science book recommendations that deal with these issues? Thanks...

July 22, 2010 at 9:29 am |
    • Lee

Stanley

Do you really need a book to tell you to be a good peron? If so, I feel very sorry for you. It is human nature to be good...despite what all these religious nuts tell you! How about you simply pick up any book and read it!

July 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • Stanley

Lee,
      I was just following up to see if Eric had any recommendations...
      Oh yes, I did pick up a book. The Bible. And my life has never been the same. I hope you can say that about your science book. Well, if one exists on the topic.

July 23, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  9. David Johnson

There is no god. But if people need to believe, why not have tolerant denominations? Let's have gays and shrimp eating people join with the rest of the religious! Amen brother. Let's actually love our fellow man.

July 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  10. poppa

glad to see that he got up and continued on with his life. we are not our mistakes.......

July 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
    • David Johnson

Well yeah, but it's all he knows how to do. If the main stream fundies won't give him a job, he has started his own business.

Think about it. If he can gather all the people who are rejected by the fundies, he will have chubby collection plates.

July 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  11. peace2all

So...... Haggard is now 'born again,' born again, born-again, ......? I hope that he get's his life together... i truly do, just like anyone, however, I'm not a supporter or believer in his very fundamental christian message.

Although, I understand he his 'church' is open to gays, etc.... Maybe that is a step to more acceptance and openness...?

Maybe he now, having admitted to being gay or at least bi....or at the very least having urges that he acted upon, as well as allegedly the useage of illegal narcotics along with his activities, I hope that he realizes the sheer hypocrisy of what he was doing vs. what he was saying to millions worldwide.

I guess time will tell....

Peace.....