home
RSS
July 23rd, 2010

Tony Blair: Faith is 'what gets you up in the morning'

Check out this fascinating CNN Connect the World interview with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair about his personal faith, his conversion to Catholicism and his awards for short films about religion, which were announced yesterday.

Here's one quick bite:

How big a role does faith play in your life?

I think if you ask someone of faith, it’s the single most dominant purpose. It's what gets you up in the morning. It’s what keeps you motivated.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Christianity • Interfaith issues • Leaders • Movies • Politics • United Kingdom

1. Iqbal Khan

Tony Blair and Bush Repent now!

READ What JESUS REALLY SAY....check out

November 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  2. Iqbal Khan

Tony Blair and Bush Repent now for your sins and crimes!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDyqgfY0nHE&w=640&h=360]

November 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  3. Lisa

He's a danger to secularism in the UK with all his faith based schools. Bad news.

July 26, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  4. Gary

Christians jews muslims have the right to be religious and if thats what gets them up in the morning more power to them....As an agnostic who loves life I cant understand how religous texts written by men 2k or more years ago gives folks reason to wake up........I book writen by men years ago is no proof of any God or who God is or what God is like.

July 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Peter Q. Wolfe

Clock equivalent for most people around the world is religion whether Islam, Christianity, Hindu, or whatever even atheism to prove science or so forth. You guys just want to destroy christian opinions for your world secular point of view.

July 25, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  6. Morgan

Faith gets you up in the morning? Funny, I use an alarm clock and it works just as well.

July 25, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  7. Peter Q. Wolfe

Arguing about fiction or nonfiction is unrelavent cause you won't change my mind and I won't change your mind. Maybe try to respect others religions first man before calling my holy book fictional. A bit of manners in consideration is needed with literacy and understanding on all parties involved. Why is that book you claim correct? The same one that I would refer that stole much of its materials from my holy Bible not of original thought at all even going as far as to acknowledge Jesus Christ, Mother Mary and Moses and claiming bolsterously to be the true church of the world? Fact is Islam usually is prevalent in illiterate countries that are over populated and have higher intolerance of opinions (e.g. Saudi Arabia and Iran) than in the western traditional democratic nations with christianity as our back bone to our laws and governess. We believe in something not of submission to Allah and your Five Pillars of Islam with Mecca's pilgrimage as being holy foolish and unecessary cause not all poor people or people able to go to Mecca either. Stupid quite honestly if you want me to lower mysself to your standards of insults.

July 25, 2010 at 9:11 am |
    • Reality

Peter, Peter, Peter, Before the bible there were the Codes of Hammurabi and the Egyptian Books of the Dead and other ancient rules of life for humans to follow. Google the history of the Golden Rule.

July 26, 2010 at 12:09 am |
    • ttwp

@Reality I know of something that predates the books you describe. The Word of God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

It doens't matter what section of the library the Bible is in...it isn't going anywhere. "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." Mark 5:18

I encourage you humbly seek Christ and He will reveal Himself in Spirit. "Seek the LORD while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near." Isaiah 55:6

July 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  8. Peter Q. Wolfe

By your logical mind, then the toddlers and mentally damaged aren't worth living for or by? This too me is ultimately selfish by nature and inately evil in it's design. Living for ones own moral compass and not that of a selfless model of christianity is rather pathetic. It's also doubly so in works over faith, which is the other way round if you ask me. Whether you like it or not, you will have to deal with religious people from Islam to christinaity all of the time. Whether you like it or not christian schools, hospitals, and other such places are going to be around for ever. Whether you like those facts or not wakes people up in the morning unlike your babbling evidense , which you constantly find to be wrong or at least flawed by educated guesses of existing information. The Bible with the catholic Bible in particular is a center piece of people's lives and isn't going away anytime soon.

July 25, 2010 at 6:32 am |
    • Reality

You noted: The Bible with the catholic Bible in particular is a center piece of people's lives and isn't going away anytime soon.

Not really as said book will be simply taking up space and collecting dust in the fictional section of libraries. Ditto for the koran.

July 25, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  9. andrew

Faith is absolutely not what wakes me up in the morning. Reason, skepticism, and the existence of real evidence are what really matters.

July 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  10. Texas Aggie

Given all the evil he's done that must be weighing down his conscience, I can understand that he would need something else to keep him going. If he were a decent man, he wouldn't need his "faith" to get him up in the morning.

July 24, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • Reality

"Good people do good things and evil people do evil things, but for a good person to do evil, you need religion."- priceless

July 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
    • ttwp

"Good people do good things and evil people do evil things, but for an evil person to do good, you need Christ."

July 25, 2010 at 9:04 am |
    • Reality

"Good people do good things and evil people do evil things, but for an evil person to do good, you need the Code of Hammurabi", one of the original lists of "commandments" for humans.

July 26, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  11. TheRadicalLiberal

I have no faith but I bounce out of bed early in the morning eager to begin another day. Reason works well for me.

July 24, 2010 at 1:29 am |
  12. Peter Q. Wolfe

Faith is undescribable and cannot be justified by others. It's a purely personal journey with you and your creater. It enspires you to be selfless and comforts you when you are sick or in trouble. It makes you feel like you aren't alone and yet I still have troubles with sin. It makes me feel like I got a second shot at life with Jesus Christ by my side.

July 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Jesus Christ founded His Church for persons such as you and I, sinners.

July 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  13. Lou

"faith is believing what you know, aint so"- Mark Twain

July 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  14. May

Faith is not what gets you up in the morning, it's what makes getting up, worth while.. What is generally amazing, is those who pretestith the most about faith, usually become the strongest believers in the end.

July 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
    • Reality

May, May, May,

Please provide your statistics on those who protest about faith becoming stong believers in the end.

July 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  15. Trucido

Sucks that some of you need faith to wake up in the morning. Sure, the world isn't perfect, but just being alive knowing this is my only shot at existing and enjoying every last moment of it is what keeps me going. Life should not be preparation for death.

July 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  16. TruthBeBorn

Why would I need faith to wake up in the morning? I can accept the world and my life and wake up just fine. I suppose i'm stronger than most and don't need the crutch called faith. Praise be to myself, forever and ever.

July 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
    • May

No praises to you, you can't and don't heal the sick, or let the blind see.

July 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
    • Reality

May, May, May, And your faith has cured the sick and blind? Turned water into wine? Cured leprosy? And guess what neither did the simple, preacher man named Jesus. Said "miracles" were just more myths added by the Paul et al crowd (mostly John in single attestations by the way) to make this son of a carpenter into some form of deity in order to compete with Roman gods-caesars.

July 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • CatholicMom

I heard that the new age belief is that each is his own god. It went from each wanting to be his own pope to each wanting to be his own god.

July 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  17. Reality

Tony B says faith gets him up in the morning. Hmmm? He has collected over $1,000,000 for his faith foundation in 2008-2009 and probably another million this year and he is the sole member of said foundation. Now that is worth getting up for in the morning!!! (guidestar.org)

Another "non-profit" religion-con game?? Yes, indeed!!!

July 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  18. Faith games

Faith plays a big role in my life. It makes me feel incredible knowing I'm not stuck in a relgious loophole. It makes me feel like a great person when I look at someone who is blinded by faith. Faith makes me realize how much I don't need it to be a great person, and in a way, it makes me feel superior. Feelsgoodman

July 23, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  19. Travelinpants

Faith is HUGE in my life. It impacts the way I think, speak, reason, believe and exist. Faith is strongest motivator I have ever experienced. Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things unseen. Heb.11:1

July 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
    • S. Johnson

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things unseen. Heb.11:1" Yes, I am truly in love with that verse. God is good. His love runs deep, so deep that he gave His son, Jesus. I am so thankful, grateful, and in awe of his unfailing love, grace and mercy. God is awesome!

July 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm |