home
RSS
July 25th, 2010

Status report: Ted Haggard's new church

Fallen evangelical leader Ted Haggard says the church he founded last month is quickly gaining new worshippers. KUSA reports.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Leaders • Scandal

1. Susie

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forrwad to reading more from you in the future.

September 7, 2012 at 2:41 am |
  2. Louise King

Watched Ted on Celebrity Wife Swap. I wiish the best for him and his family.

January 4, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  3. verify

67890: You left out some other meanings of the word 'theory' (also from merriam webster):

5 : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena

and

6c c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject

Look up 'Scientific Theory' - it is not simply unfounded guesses.

July 31, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
    • 67890

i guess i was just explaining what "theory of evolution" meant to me. to some people it's true, but not to me.

July 31, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  4. 67890

Luke and CTYank –
    i said:
    "the theory of evolution, is not a fact, but a theory" (i meant to say "proven fact")
    CTYank commented:
    "You're not the only one confused on the meaning of theory" – so i checked out merriam webster for definition of theory:
    2 : abstract thought : speculation
    6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption –

...which proves that a theory can be true or false, based on who wants to believe in it. so darwin's theory of evolution, can be false, right? you need a lot of faith in darwin to believe, that was what i meant in my previous post...

man, this forum has grown 10x from the last time i was here!

July 31, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  5. iceman6161

the earth can't be as old as they say , that's my point

July 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
    • Peter F

Hey Luke,

I was about to post something on our previous discussion, but the moderator told me it may not make it through... so I'm putting it here instead.

Not exactly where I was going with that.

First, one of the points I was trying to make is that the ongoing Christian/atheist and agnostic debate will not answer the question about whether God exists. For example, we could argue about where the moon goes during the day. I could tell you that it shrinks and that is why we cannot see it. Everyone I tell could agree with me, but that does not mean I am right. The same goes for this discussion. Even if the atheist community convinces everyone that God doesn't exist, that does not make it true. Our debate does not influence reality. We are simply reflecting upon it.

Second, "seeing" God is seeing his creation at work, his love in this world, the miracles that happen in our lives everyday. Redemption is a trademark of the Lord's hand – both through Christ's death and resurrection on the cross, and also in the recovering drug addict, the repentant prostitute, the thief who returns what he stole. Psalms talks about God's hand in creation as well. We are here, aren't we? I happen to believe we evolved from apes, but I think somewhere along the way we developed a very complex and significant conscious, an understanding of love and hope and the knowledge of God, who planned it all from the beginning. If you do not want to believe God had anything to do with any of those things, then you will not see God. That is all I'm trying to say.

July 29, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  6. iceman6161

Luke here is some well just alittle something if you want to look it up and I really don't care anything about the Catholic Church i feel they imposed their belief not humbily taught......Isaiah 40:22, if you can put this up for debate can space and heaven be kind of the same? , Job 26:10, 26:7.......ok let me ask you a question JUKE does the Moon move an inch and a half away from the earth every year? you are an Evolution Man right if so you must be a big bang man also? i don't know but the earth is not as old as people think cause if so we wouldn't be here ......Science find ways around being wrong.....they find ways to make 2+2 =10

July 29, 2010 at 7:54 am |
    • Luke

iceman6161 – What are you talking about? That's not even a coherent phrase/question. I honestly have little to now idea what you are asking me. Our moon does move away from the earth though.

July 29, 2010 at 8:35 am |
    • Gary

iceman 6161 , natural selection proven, evolution too.

July 29, 2010 at 9:29 am |
    • Gary

iceman, Earth is billions of years old, Pangia,plate techtonics,mid oceanic ridges,animal fossils,fossil fuels,erosion escarpments, and so many other geological hard proof of billions of years of earths existence...

July 29, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  7. Allan Meritt

Dawn said "Human beings have a natural need for a higher power. Ancients had gods. Primitive cultures had gods."

Rather than a need for a higher power, human beings actually had a natural need for explanations to things they didn't understand. Since they didn't measure things, do experiments, etc., they created gods to explain various phenomena and the natural world around them. There used to be a god of fire, another god of the sun, another god of rain, etc. As we've found explanations over thousands of years, various gods have "bitten the dust". If there really was a "natural need", why have there been so many different views of god (and gods) throughout history, and many views still today? If there really is a single "true" god, it seems very unreasonable that the natural need wouldn't have all come out with the same answer. It also seems unreasonable that the "real" god would only have been recognized only 2000 years ago, and that only a portion of mankind would have done so.

July 28, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Allan Meritt, The only true measure of another man's intelligence, is how much he agrees with you. You are obviously a very bright and insightful person.

July 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  8. brad

Luke: you said I think too much. Well, I'm a Catholic and you're the first atheist to accuse me of thinking. I believe I will go home.

July 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm |