home
RSS
July 30th, 2010

Anne Rice leaves Christianity

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Read the full post on The Marquee Blog

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science • Leaders

1. Tom

This story just proves my point that flawed thinking people think the answer is to leave the organization they have a problem with rather then stay and fight to make it better and be a positive representative of that organization. There are so many things about these United States that make me sick to my stomach but I love and defend this country becaseu I want it to be better and for it to become what it's potential really is. Cowardice is the world that exemplifies quitters and those that leave becaseu it gets too hot in the kitchen.

July 30, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  2. Matt

Christianity isn't anit-gay, anti-feminist, anit-science, and anit-Democrat. Christianity is about following Jesus Christ who taught people to "love one another". It's sad that Christianity has been labeled all these things just because Christians don't believe that homosexuality is wonderful. Christians have a right to stand up for what they believe just as much as anybody else. Anne didn't leave Christianity, she left some warped version of Christianity.

July 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  3. John

Well, to renounce christianity is not to renounce Christ in my opinion. She seems to be saying that in the full text of her disclosre. She believes that christianity is too political and has strayed too far from acting in good conscienceness, which to me means thinking carefully and thoughfully about ones spiritual convictions and then acting accordingly. What could be more humble than that. What she saw with eyes open did not fit with her spiritual convictions and she spoke honestly and openly. I wish more would be led by their hearts than by populist teachings of a politically motivated structure. It seems to me that this is what Christ taught, although I am no expert to be sure.

July 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • Darth Okier Lexor

christianity is too political now...but true christians are not politicians...they are philosophers ..they think....they seek something beyond the book, a greater understanding of man's place in the universe..we seek knowledge.....we seek things beyond immortality....we want to see the world with the eyes of god.....to be a true christian is to embark on a journey of compassion, forgiveness, love, and understanding.....those are the values of our faith

July 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
    • David Johnson

Better not think too hard, or you just may figure out there is no god. Better to sit in your pew and allow others to tell you what to think. You could lose your soul, man!

Repent of your thoughts, before it's too late. Better to be ignorant and heaven bound than to understand and laugh at the fundies!

August 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  4. TheVeteran

I understand her frustration, but what we see from the right is not Christianity at all. It is Pharisee. I believe she is doing this to make a point. But it would be in the best interest of her soul to truly understand what Christianity is.

Conservatism is not Christianity. It is a religion all unto itself. It is darkness, posing as Christianity.

And that's the truth.

July 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • Heather D

I agree completely. I'm a Bible-believing, Spirit-filled Christian AND a Democrat. Christianity does not equal Conservative. And furthermore, lumping all Christians into some political party is narrow-minded. I have gay friends. I voted for Obama. And I love Jesus Christ and know He is my savior.

Sometimes, those who complain about the narrowmindedness of Christians are really judgmental themselves. And reading over the many posts here, I can see that I am correct in my thinking. Just because YOU don't have faith, it doesn't make faith "silly"...what a dismissive statement by an ignorant mind. Brilliant thinkers have faith in Christ. Brilliant scientists have faith in Christ. So JoeBob from Wherever,USA makes an stupid statement about gay people...that doesn't make Jesus any less than who the Bible says He is.

And if people are rigid in their thinking, are biased, are ignorant, doesn't this point to the fact that we are ALL human, whether Christian or not, and we ALL make mistakes? In short, we all sin. Every single one of us.

August 11, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  5. Claire M.

Welcome to the light, Anne! There are plenty of non-theistic groups (Brights, Unitarians) and modern groups who seem to really understand the Christian teaching (Unity, Religious Science, Divine Science, New Thought). So whether or not you believe in a Supernatural force (I think it's all Natural, myself), there is a place for you that doesn't involve hateful contentiousness. Time for the ancient to fall away. It was based on superstition and people trying to explain the unknown without any real knowledge anyway. Most traditional "Christians" are Paulists, IMO.

July 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  6. Brian

I am 35 years old, and in all the times I have been in Church there has never been talk about anti any of the things she spoke of. So she tried for 10 years but failed, sounds like she wants to be in the headlines, obviously. What a goofy statement. I think people get hung up on the wrong things. Read the New Testament, listen thoughtfully to what Jesus says, there is much to learn, why focus on these other topics that are never really discussed during Mass or ever. Its easy to talk bad about religion, but to me that is such a copout.

July 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
    • Rudy

Agreed, Brian. As far as I'm concerned, she was a poseur who used Catholic imagery and a bit of pathetic gnosticism to generate a few book sales. Most of the people who talk of Christianity in this list wouldn't know it if it helped them out of a ditch. Sad, really.

July 30, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • jonathan

I believe she is refering to the very Vocal Churches and Christians who have for 30 years been hollaring and screamin about the issues of prayer in public schools abortions and the anti- gay verbage we been hearing for so long...nearly every day somthing is beign said on these issues you must be mr. van winkle ..LOL 🙂

July 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
    • David Johnson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Catholic Church forbid their members from voting for Obama, because he is pro-choice? As I go past a Catholic Church, on my way to work, I notice a huge anti-abortion banner.

I believe it was CatholicMom who was quick to proclaim the Churches stand on birth control.

I think someone must be mentioning this in Church?

August 1, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
  7. Matt

How unbelievably ignorant to equate being a christian with being “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”.

I'm a Christian, it's my chosen faith.

I don't care one way or another about someone's sexuality. As long as you're not having a romp in the middle of the street you can like whomever you want in my opinion.

Anti feminist? Just absurd. I've always been a fan of the woman's right to choice when it comes to abortion (what she really meant was anti-abortion).

Anti-Democrat? Sigh, now she's just looking to stir the pot. What a dumb woman. I'm an independant, I think both the Republican part and the Democrat party has their fair share of royally bad ideas and good ideas. I think both parties have a few good people and a large amount of idiots. I know many people whom consider themselves Christian and Democrats.

The woman is simply looking to get some 15 minutes of fame. Sadly darling, you only get 1.

July 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
    • jonathan

Your chosen faith???????

July 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • jonathan

I didn't choose Jesus he chose me!!!! 🙂

July 30, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
    • barbed

Maybe you don't realize that "the woman" has already gone way beyond "15 minutes" of fame...her writings have brought her "fame" for decades. She isn't looking for anything; she was making a personal statement about her life. Your statement seems ignorant and petty.

July 31, 2010 at 12:07 am |

@jonathan

You said, "I didn't choose Jesus he chose me!!!! "

Which religion You Choose, depends largely on what your parents believed and where in the world you live.

If we were in the Middle East, you would probably be Muslim. Jesus doesn't "Choose" anyone.

August 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  8. Darth Okier Lexor

apperently most plp dont understand the christian faith......it was never meant to be about hate or promoting hate, but it is a faith of love, forgiveness and acceptance. it is a shame that many plp think so little of our faith...they do no understand what is like to be a true christian....and no not one of those plp who say im a christian and go to church from sunday to sunday, not one of the fanatics who advocate hate, not a bigot who proclaim god's name without understanding.....this life is a journey to find something greater than spiritual awareness....it is a journey to see the world the way god does, it is a journey beyond any book, any view....that is why i belive in my faith...im a christian and i love my god but im not the one who follows faith blindly and question every thing

July 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  9. Paige

I am suddenly a huge fan of Anne Rice! The vitriol and hatred with which so many "christians" here in the bible belt attack the rest of us is repulsive. I simply cannot believe in a book filled with so much hypocrisy, violence, and unethical, immoral behavior. Jesus was probably a cool dude, but I hope he didn't act like some of his followers.

July 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • Esbee

No, Jesus never acted like His followers, He was perfect, hence the perfect sacrifice to pay for our sins. The Bible is not anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat. it is anti-sin and that is something we all do! Even the woman taken in adultery brought to Jesus, He said, "let him without sin throw the first stone" None did. Only Jesus could have thrown a stone and He did not. He forgave the woman and told her to go and sin no more.
      Christianity is a relationship with Christ, not a religion. To be Christian means to be like Christ and many Christians, (myself included) are far from that! Many athiests are wise enough to see the faults in Christians' lack of love towards each other and those who do not believe but God already saw that and that is why He sent Jesus to pay for those sins.

Unfortunately, and it is in the New Testament somewhere, where it says that men take the rules of men and make them to be the rules of God.
      When Jesus went back to heaven after the Resurrection He said that there were only 2 rules to follow..."Love God and love your neighbor."

And God's people are oh so imperfect and we tend to shoot our wounded, instead of help them heal.

Remember this, just because there is a turd in the cookie jar and that turd has a note on it that says "Look at me, I'm a cookie" does not make it one and it sure stinks up the rest of the real cookies. I am sure u Ann is a real cookie and God gave her a great talent.

August 1, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  10. Ronnie Voice

Lol okay saw the added post, I applaud your decision Anne, I certainly agree with Christ at the center/gospel centered life. Until Christianity is again simply the belief in Christ and not a political undertone I will follow suit. If your in LA, check out Sojourn Village in Culver City, very gospel centered teachings, the Pastor is amazing.

July 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  11. r

Call me a cynic, but I suspect this was driven by declining book sales.

July 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
    • Darth Okier Lexor

lol...funny

July 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • barbed

Wrong about that:
      "Her books have sold nearly 100 million copies, making her one of the most widely read authors in modern history."

July 31, 2010 at 12:11 am |
  12. barbed

Churches are indeed just a business, and have been ripping off the masses since the clever inception of tithing, donations, non-profit/not being taxed (and buying up real estate), running on volunteers accept the nicely salaried and benefited leader and tiny staff. Once, for four years I belonged to a Congregational United Church of God in Oregon, and I watched all this from the inside out. It became a disgrace how the pastor became more and more focused on $ and those who had it. Then the building renovations began and the insistent beg letters every week, and the snubbing of those with little $. Within a year we had to get an assistant pastor (even though the deal was we wouldn't need one with her as Pastor). The financial drain was endless–and the standards matched her personally, not the congregation's. The money to assist parishioners began to shrink and the expenses increased. She didn't mind as the "little people" left because her eyes were on the $ prize of fresh and rich new people.
    One thing this experience helped me with is that my pursuit of a religious home base was clarified. I never stepped into an organized church again to worship.
    I agree with the reasons Anne Rice has for leaving Christianity and church. The intention of religion in early society was specifically to control the people, and it sure hasn't let go of that concept even today. Praying to a god and attending church are like playing the lottery: sometimes it goes your way and most times it doesn't, but it makes you feel better for trying. Every time a prayer isn't answered the explanation is its God's will! Religion has an answer (and donation bucket) for everything!
    Thanks, Anne Rice, for making a statement.

July 30, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  13. Ronnie Voice

I agree with here in a sense that Christianity has been so commercialized to encompass such values that are not outlined in any of the New Testament. The problem is religion itself not the faith of Christianity as a faith. I personally think Jesus greatest teaching were based on the fact that the Jewish faith became so perverted through traditions for atonement instead of consciousness about the actions through God's eyes. Modern day Christianity is now a reflection of the old Jewish traditions. Political more than anything. I was a youth pastor for years and stopped because I refused to teach certain populist Christian views such as the ones she mentioned. I am not anti-gay at all. But being gay I believe is a personal choice and not a genetic trait. I would never be against science, the bible says God wants his people to have knowledge of all things. Anti-feminist is evil, I believe women have all rights afford men especially in todays culture. But anti-democrat? Come on don't be the one to place politics with faith. All things that appear Democrat are not. I'm independent personally but I don't believe in the Democrats are for the people and Republicans are for, well, the opposite I suppose. America is great because of the seperation of Church and State, that is one of its greatest founding successes. Sorry for the long post. But I love Anne Rice the author, but those views seem a little generalized.

July 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
    • David Johnson

If you truly believe in the separation of church and state, you best vote Democrat. The right wing is trying to convince people that the founding fathers never meant to have a separation of church and state. They want the U.S. to be a Christian nation.

The Republicans are the puppets of the religious right.

July 31, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  14. pollovic

Who cares what she thinks. I go to a church where they give so much to the poor and those in need. I hate when people lump a a whole group of people into one pot. Jesus never did that at all. By the way, there are Christian Democrats!

July 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  15. Slappy

Faith... the ability to believe in the intangible

July 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
    • David Johnson

Faith – The ability to believe in things you know are impossible.

July 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
    • CatholicMom

David Johnson,
      Nothing [no thing!] is impossible for God.

August 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
    • DontDistort

Faith = the ability to believe in something in spite of the fact that science can PROVE what you believe in is impossible (it is absolutely impossible for a human being to die, be dead for 3 days and rise from the dead, still haven't been able to get someone to walk on water, and if I could turn water into wine, I'd work from home).

Just these 3 things make it easy to see that faith is the ONLY thing religion has, cause there is no reality in ANY of these things (one of which is paramount for the existence of the religion).

August 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. AnonymousCoward

I can't believe Christianity has degenerated so much in the last 10 years that it's now anti-gay, anti-feminist, and anti-science.

Next thing you know these yahoos are going to rewrite the Good Book to include their anti-gay, anti-feminist, and anti-science rhetoric just to push their agenda. It would deeply upset me to see content in the Old or New Testament that has anti-gay, anti-feminist, and anti-science language and agenda.

Kudos to you Anne!

July 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
    • Duke Moses

Here's the difference from Christians versus non Christians. I still love you and Anne Rice despite your beliefs, not hatred in my heart, just praying for people like you.

In Christ Always!!

July 30, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
    • Mikey17

Duke, if you can truly care for and respect those with whom you disagree, that makes you rare among today's professed strong Christians – and I applaud you for it.

July 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
    • Another Joe

It is not "Christianity" that degenerates but the world. It's becoming more evil as the days pass. God has been the same, remains the same and will not change. Read about Sodom and Gomora in the book of Genesis. You'll probably give it your own wordly interpretation but have a go.

July 30, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
    • WHAT?

Changed over the last 10 years? Christians follow the Bible, that has not changed. The Bible states that men should be head of the household (antiwomen?), God created man (antiscience?), and that a man and woman should be together (antigay?). These principles have been held by Christians for a thousand years...not just the last 10 years.

July 30, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
    • David Johnson

The Religious Right is trying to do just that.

July 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm |

@Duke Moses

You said, "Dear AnonymousCoward and most everyone else posting here. Apparently you haven't read the Bible because all the things you say that are not in the Bible about anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-science, most certainly are there clearly! The Bible refutes all those things, problem you can't see it because you are caught up in worldly things rather than following what Jesus says."

I have read the bible. The bible says lots of things that aren't true. Cheers!

July 31, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
    • AbbeyYoyo

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
      H. L. Mencken

August 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  17. Catholic Joe

For those who have faith, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, none will suffice.

July 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
    • verify

If this "God" exists, and is omniscient, as is claimed, it knows *precisely* what it would take to assure each of us, in our own particular way, of its existence.

July 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
    • ttwp

@verify: You're right He does. He sends his Holy Spirit to convict people of their sins, but some resist His Spirit and wish to remain in their darkness. It reminds of this scripture, "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men."

July 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
    • Gary

Catholic Joe, yep faith it is not fact. Glad she choose not have faith that God is hateful

July 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
    • Stephanie

July 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
    • danlo924

verify – good point. But just because an omniscient God would have the ability to fully assure each of us of His existence doesn't mean that He will, or that He should, or that it's even be in our best interest for Him to do so. Could it be possible that He has other things in mind than what we think is best?

July 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
    • verify

danlo: Thanks for your reply. It is possible that you are right. It is possible that "He" is just satisfied that I don't believe. So many things are *possible* in this universe... I think that I'll have to wait for more confirmation.

July 30, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
    • Another Joe

To "verify": Please do verify what the scriptures say. You must find out for yourself. Explore his words, read the Bible. It's written out in plain paper for you to have at it. The answer lies in Jesus but the world will not have it.

July 30, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
    • Chris Jensen

AMEN!

July 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
    • Billc

As the Church of Reality so eloquently points out : "faith" is the belief in something not supported by logic or reason. Which means, "faith" is silly.

July 30, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
    • Keith R.

Joe: Thanks for being tactful in your reply. (Meant with sincerity.)

July 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
    • justanotherhuman

Dear Catholic Joe, was so glad to see your post, not all is lost.

July 30, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • Kelly

Amen!!

July 31, 2010 at 12:27 am |
    • Michael R.

Anne is not saying she doesn't believe. She's a true believer in Christ's words and she can't see herself part of the group we know today as "Christians." If someone asks me today if I'm a Christian I reply "no" although I have a deep faith. I do not want to be associated with what the word means in today's world.

July 31, 2010 at 12:47 am |

@Stephanie

You said, "It is an evil and adulterous generation that seeketh after a sign. Faith isn't about having proof."

You are right Steph! I can have faith Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy all exist. I can believe it with all my heart.

But there is tons of evidence against these characters. So, I reject them as being myth.

There is tons of evidence against religion. Faith is good only if it is grounded in evidence. Cheers!

July 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm |

@Another Joe

You said, "Please do verify what the scriptures say. You must find out for yourself. Explore his words, read the Bible. It's written out in plain paper for you to have at it. The answer lies in Jesus but the world will not have it."

I have read the bible. I have read parts of the english version of the Quran. I think they are myth. Cheers!

July 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm |

@ttwp

You said, "He sends his Holy Spirit to convict people of their sins, but some resist His Spirit and wish to remain in their darkness. It reminds of this scripture, "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men." "

If god is all knowing, everything is predestined. It would not make sense, that the Holy Spirit would be sent.

July 31, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  18. verify

Anne Rice, as a fantasy writer, should know better than anyone where all religious texts come from... the imaginations of the authors.

July 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
    • gail

veriy: how did you verify this? were you the author of some of the books of the Bible? will we believe what you say over what the Bible says?

September 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  19. cat

I suddenly have profound respect for Anne Rice. She finally understands. You go girl!! 😀

July 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
    • Jay

couldnt agree with you more, i got tons of respect for her to publicly denounce her faith.

so many cowards out there afraid to say it because they fear of hurting a believers feelings, but what about your own feelings?

July 30, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
    • Adenike

Quite amazing to read this but i hope u are making the right decision i really, really hope so.

August 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
    • frank carter

Anne Rice is only one person with one opinion, she might attract followers like yourself and others. Bare in mind you're playing second fiddle to her comment means nothing to most of us....my question is, why go public is she looking for sympathizers? God told Peter upon this rock I will built my church....she probably feels Christ was mistaken...what ever!

August 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
    • gail

cat: what does she understand?

September 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  20. Gary

I agree with her. How can you blame Gay people for being gay ...they were born that way. How can you not include other good folks who are from other religions or agnostic.....I think millions of folks are leaving organized religion...

July 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
    • Glenn

You are correct. Unfortunately many people blindly believe what a person in authority tells them even when that person is a closed minded fool.

July 30, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
    • Kate in Indiana

Perhaps Anne and others with more open minds in reference to social issues should check out the UCC – a demonimation that ordained the first woman in the 1800s, ordained the first black person in the US, and has been ordaining openly gay/lesbian/transgender persons for over 30 years. There are some Christians out there that don't fit into the TV evangelist mold and we are proud to be followers of Christ and open to anyone – regardless of where they are on life's journey!

July 30, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
    • Jay

Ill start off by saying believe what you want to, but if some can talk on here about what they believe then I think I should be allowed to voice my opinions aswell.

I think for a book written by a bunch of people who never met "Jesus" makes the first and all the "re-written" versions of the bible completely rediculous to follow word for word. If im correct the first "Bible" was written some 300 yrs after "Jesus" was here, so to say that he said this or went there or was born on this day or anything really pertaining to his life seems utterly rediculous to me that people believe and quote this stuff.

I have a question to ask you all, do any of you remember playing a game in grade school called "The Phone Game" or similar name? For those that dont, its a game where a group of people sit in a circle, a person says a sentance in the ear of the person next to him/her, and then that person says the sentance to the next and tries to get the same sentance to the end of the circle. For those whom have played this KNOW that its never the same sentance.

SO, after that does it not seem possible that for hundreds of years after a man named Jesus was here that "Maybe" some things got made up or completey fabricated to boost a believers follwers numbers etc?

Is it not possible that maybe a man named Jesus was just a humanitarian that helped folks get food, or sheltered wandering travelers, and maybe after his death some who really loved him starting thinking of sharing his exploits with others, and then the phone game starts where he turned water to wine, and walked on water, became the son of god etc etc etc....

I cannot and will never believe in a "God" that would allow children to be molested, the holocaust to happen, genocide to happen, or anything that would hurt his "subjects" and to say that its a learning thing for us to overcome or that he doesnt want to get directly involved in our lives, this can only be perceived as utterly rediculous and I still cannot understand how people follow a invisible person so blindly.

in short, if faith has made your life generally better then I think thats fantastic, but to live your life completely by words that are being proven all the time as fake and then slam others for it seems silly to me

July 30, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
    • Chico

Christianity was never intended to be a religion. It was actually a name given by non followers of Christ toward those who followed his footsteps. They prayed, helped the needy and the sick. Somehow society has taken the context of Christianity way out of proportion. To become a Christian,you only need to bow and confess that Jesus Christ is the son of God, walked the earth, was crucified for all of our sins and rose from the grave. Admit that you are a sinner, ask Christ to come into your life and believe that he is Lord of All. You will become a child of God if you follow thes simple steps. I know that some of you will believe that I am nuts and I may be. If I am wrong, I have still lived a good life, helped lots of people, and I will be remembered by many, as a very good person. If I am right, the book of Revelation has a beautiful glimpse of my new home. Please take the time to consider if you may be wrong, the consequences are not very good for you.

July 30, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
    • AuntieLulu

When I was younger some of my co-workers were talking about religion and I said that I wasn't absolutely sure that I even believed there was a God. One of them looked at me, paused for a minute, and then said that I may THINK that way right now, but if the day ever came when my life or the life of someone I love was in danger, I would be on my knees asking for God's help so fast my head would spin. I kind of laughed him off, then a few years later I was in that exact position. And you know what? He was right. I didn't get on the phone and call a friend or relative. I didn't talk to the doctor or depend on science or 'reason'. I prayed to God for my life with everything I had, and I survived to live another day. I'm not a bible thumping 'you gotta think as I do' kind of person, but I will say that for all of recorded history religion has existed on one form or another. There is a reason for that. I think most people nowadays reject religion in any form because they don't want to have rules of any kind whatsoever in their life, and I find that sad and worrisome for the future of we as human beings.

July 31, 2010 at 12:29 am |
    • Mercy

Christ was not about tolerance, but compassion, mercy, and forgiveness. I don't think gays are born gay. Some males may be born with some effeminate qualities, and some females with more male qualities.. I believe it's more nurture than nature. I think people choose to be gay. Anyway that point could be argued forever, and I can only walk in my own shoes. The Bible, God's word, does not condone being gay, but we as Christians are taught to love our neighbor. My stance is I don't agree with the life style, but I would treat them as I would any one else.

July 31, 2010 at 10:58 am |
    • CatholicMom

Chico,
      There are no rules to becoming a child of God. You are a child of God because He made you. Atheists are children of God. Every person is a child of God. Nothing you say or do changes this fact.

July 31, 2010 at 11:02 am |

@Jay

God works in mysterious ways. Often when he kills us by the thousands, he is just expressing his displeasure. Isn't it the duty of a father to discipline his children?

Have faith little Jay. God loves us. I am sure another heavenly "hug" is just around the corner.

July 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm |

@Mercy

When I was growing up, I had this friend. He was a total "guy". Played football, loved girls. Grew up, married and had kids. A man's man.

My friend had a brother. He was very feminine, even when little. He grew up gay. He had the same parents. Same environment to grow up in. Yet, he was gay. Hmmm... I think gays are born that way. I think god is wrong.

July 31, 2010 at 1:48 pm |

@AuntieLulu

You said, "I kind of laughed him off, then a few years later I was in that exact position. And you know what? He was right. I didn't get on the phone and call a friend or relative. I didn't talk to the doctor or depend on science or 'reason'. I prayed to God for my life with everything I had, and I survived to live another day. I'm not a bible thumping 'you gotta think as I do' kind of person, but I will say that for all of recorded history religion has existed on one form or another. There is a reason for that. I think most people nowadays reject religion in any form because they don't want to have rules of any kind whatsoever in their life, and I find that sad and worrisome for the future of we as human beings."

No one wants to die. I think that is why religion persists. There are no atheists in the fox hole. Yep, probably true.

Once, my niece was gravely ill. I loved her like a daughter. Several people prayed for her. She died at the age of 18.

Had she lived, people would have given god the credit. The doctors that treated her, would have gotten only an honorary mention.

If you are sick and you get medical treatment...then it isn't god. It's the meds. Cheers!

July 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
    • Adenike

look nobody is blaming anybody, everybody as the right to do watever he/she wants to do. The truth is that nobody was born with a perverse mind some people are born wierd but if tailored in the right direction they we come out Shining. Christianity i know is been christlike in what you do, being christ to your neighbour, it's like What Would Jesus Do kind of thing. Christianity is a lifestyle not a religion

August 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
    • Justin

@David Johnson

You say "Prayer does not work. It often seem to, because of coincidence and random chance."

Funny how whenever people pray for something, people expect God to automatically say "Yes" as a response. The Bible refers to God as our heavenly father. If you were to ask your earthly father for something, you recognize the fact that he could say one of three things, yes, no or wait. For some reason we see God as incapable of answering in any way but yes, when in fact he can answer us in any way he sees fit according to his ultimate plan. You cannot see the future, but if the God we are talking about really exists, we must recognize the fact that he is all knowing and therefore knows the future. So is it not posible that He knows what is going on and has the authority to say no, if it is the best thing in the long run?

And in a practical note, not saying that her death was good or to be negative in any way, but everyone wants their loved ones to live. If everyone who asked for a dying person to live got their wish, the world would be filled to the brim with eternally living people.

God bless, even if you dont believe in Him.

August 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
    • Brady

Jay,

While I respect your view that it seems impossible for a "good" God to allow such suffering, in fact I struggle with the same question. However, I must question your whole argument with the Bible being rewritten/written hundreds of years after Christ. The gospels on the New Testament, at least three of them, were written by people who followed Jesus during his three years ministry. If you are referring to the Council of Nicea, a.d. 325, that was when the leaders of Christianity convened to make a standard Bible of the books in circulation. The goal was to weed out falsely authored books that went against the principles of the Christ. This was not when the books of the Bible were written. Simply, it was a final decision on which books in circulation were acceptable for the Bible.

The question of whether certain books left out should have been included (or vice versa) is of course, frustratingly, a matter of faith. However, one can not question that the gospels themselves are from a group of people who knew Christ intimately on earth and followed his ministry closely. Hope that helps.

August 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
    • Robert

I recall a quote a friend shared with me many years ago (I do not know to whom to ascribe it though): 'Every day people are leaving the churches and finding God'.

It takes courage to walk a spiritual path alone, because you must take personal responsibility for your beliefs and actions, rather than hide behind the dogma of an organisation, however ultimately it is the most rewarding way to go...

August 2, 2010 at 7:24 am |
    • Dalenc

Born gay?

August 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
    • still

A pretty consistent tenent of Christianity (espoused by Christ) is the concept of original sin. In other words, we're all born with proclivity to displease God. (We aren't sinners because we sin – we sin because we're sinners.) So the question isn't whether we're "born" a certain way or not. The question is what kind of redemptive work does Christ want to do in us. No one gets out of this "alive." To be truly alive – alive to Christ, is to allow him to kill anything in us that doesn't honor him. My experience is that he's pretty persistent in showing me what those things are (and that my fellow Christians sometimes help and sometimes don't). Talk to him.

August 4, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
    • kitty

I left the Roman church for the same reason...there are other choices and she should explore them!

August 9, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
    • Julie

There are two kinds of sinners in this world: lost sinners and saved sinners. Salvation is a gift from God through the Redemptive Blood shed on the cross by Jesus Christ. We live in a sinful world full of disease and tragedy. Christians are not exempt from tragic and questionable circumstances. Not even John the Baptist, Jesus' cousin and baptizer, got out of losing his head. He asked the disciples, "Is He the Christ or do I need to look for someone else?" We all want a big Santa Claus in the sky to give us what we want or to even change the rules for us. I accepted Christ at the age of 9 years old. I came from a family that did not attend church on a regular basis, but I had an experience that changed my life. I cannot explain it but when I go through periods of doubt, I go back to that experience that I had with the Holy Spirit as He drew me to salvation through Jesus Christ. That was 47 years ago. Do I still sin? Yes, I do. In fact when I read some of these responses I become angry. Ta-da! sin! Do I have to repent-yes I do. You see, as Christians we must deny ourselves (what we want to do) so that He can Live through us. If there is any good in me it's because of Him. Yes, Gays are born the way they are, so was I. Now I wasn't born gay, but I truly have a sinful nature I have sins I deal with. Today if we don't want to change we try to justify the sin, sugar-coat it so we don't have to change. Dying to sin is a constant battle and it will be till I get to Heaven. We live in a world we want to do what we want to do. If we don't like the rules we find new ones. God gave you a free will. He doesn't make you accept Him. It's your choice. But as far as His Word the Bible.. He's on target. It is evident to me as I read some of these blogs that those who don't know Him don't have a clue about His Word. I Corinthians 1:18 says: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness but unto us which are saved it is the 'power of God." verse 19 says: For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

August 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
    • frank carter

First, there is no such thing as a gay gene, I have no idea why some people are the way they are, perhaps some day we will know. All I know there is a lot people crossing over just to see what is like, remember there is a lot of people with very little scruples. I have personally known straight people cross over just to find out it's not there thing, and others love annal sex and oral sex......remember after a certain age sex loses a lot of appeal and then where are you, remember if you have no faith then you have nothing to look forward to, if you do, then you have a lot explaining to do to the man upstairs, either way enjoy what ever you do for the short time you have left!

August 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm |