home
RSS
July 30th, 2010

Anne Rice leaves Christianity

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Read the full post on The Marquee Blog

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science • Leaders

1. Tom R

I always new she swa a smart woman.

July 30, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  2. parishiltoninventedthis

If Paris Hilton said this people would rightfully believe it was only about gaining lost attention. Somehow intellectualism is equated with credibility automatically, and nothing in history shows this kind of stunt to be true what-so-ever. Most people in the know, know religion to be a purely personal matter. Other than someone who professes to be a evangelical really has no business flaunting there regard or disregard of their own personal belief system, and especially those of others. Religion is tool that people use to explain the extraordinary, for example, and in this case, fallaciously implied to mean something about one's self identity.. Anne missed the whole concept by miles and miles.

July 30, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  3. Ladislav Nemec, Big Bear, CA

Vampires are incompatble with the Pope, Imams and Chief Rabbis. Some people make good money on religion, this lady on vampires. Warship what makes your life comfortable (not necessarily vampires but writing about them for silly people).

July 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  4. Another Joe

EXACTLY!!

July 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  5. Surthurfurd

She is missing what Jesus said in comparison to what modern "Christians" say. This is normal, though misguided.

July 30, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  6. Tom

Congratulations Anne. Glad you renounced the dogma, especially since a certain Christian preacher is going to start burning Quarans.

July 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  7. So Sad

It's about time... I never understood her sudden embrace of Christianity ... I guess some see it like a fat girl sees diet pills.. a quick fix to all your problems, glad she got her sanity back!!

July 30, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
    • gail

@so sad. how do you know the "entire" world is full of wonderous things? have you seen the entire world? or are you expressing "blind faith"?

September 18, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  8. louisa

Blind faith is like still living in the dark ages, welcome back to the enlightened period again. I just might start reading Anne Rice books again. Get your mojo back girl!

July 30, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  9. Sally B.

Poor Anne! She's just another duped individual, and I'll pray her eyes open. There but for the grace of God go I. I hope she changes her mind, starts thinking clearly, and begins to really 'dig' into Christian teachings. She's obviously confused and tempted right now, and I hope she comes to see that. It's always easy to say 'I quit' when we reach a tough area in life, but to persevere and strive to reach the goal is much, much more admirable. Praying for this poor confused soul. She's not alone in our backward-thinking world. Good grief: think about this: what kind of answers does this goofy world have for us? It's empty and we are limited, both in our goals and in our time here. I mean–isn't that kind of obvious when you think of it??

July 30, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
    • So Sad

She did change her mind and thankfully is now thinking very clearly... you should try it. Blind faith is very scary and dangerous thing. The world is not empty, it's full of amazing and wondrous things, sad that you can't see that.

July 30, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
    • DustyNW

Why should we persevere to believe? What good does it to believe in things that aren't there?

July 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
    • CatholicMom

So Sad,
      Yes, the world is full of great gifts from God!

July 31, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • CatholicMom

DustyNW,
      We persevere just as we do to towards any good goal!

July 31, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  10. DevK

Like Anne Rice I too have tried and failed. But unlike her it wasn't so-called Christian practitioners that I found objectionable, but rather the whole premise of a divine being sitting in judgment of mankind. Raised a Catholic but ultimately I stopped being Christian for the same reason I stopped waiting up on Christmas eve for Santa to come down the chimney. Some things you just outgrow.

July 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
    • CatholicMom

You never outgrow your need for God.

July 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  11. Gary

eli, I guess being retarded ,having down syndrome is a choice too....Eli if being gay is a choice then you are attracted to both male and female and choose one or the other...people are either born gay or born straight...period check mate

July 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  12. JerryG1

The way may or may not be wide, but God welcomes all to His light in different paths.
    I still choose Christ as my path.

July 30, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
    • CatholicMom

That is not what Jesus said............................He said....
      “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me.”

July 31, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  13. TheVeteran

@rr: Maybe she said this to get us talking about it. Conservatism is NOT Christianity. If we put up a mirror, we should see Christ's reflection. We should look just like him. Conservatives look nothing like Christ. They look like Pharisees.

July 30, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  14. rr

Reading these hate filled comments about Christians just shows me that America isn't as free as it claims to be. I believe that those who speak hate about Christians would nail christ to the cross and kill jews also. Christians are not the enemy but some on here say we are. I don't believe Anne Rice was ever a Christian. There are standards, rules, and belefs and God isn't a Democrate or Rebublican. He is a sprit. Anne Rice was never truely a Christian. A Christian doesn't walk away from Jesus and God. Anne Rice has done both. Those who attack christians would kill jews, christians, and muslims also.

July 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Christians walk away from Jesus Christ....whenever they sin, they walk away from Him. The more they sin the farther away they get. If they don't check their actions and get on the right path....they will find themselves unable to recognize sin for what it is due to not listening to their conscience for too long. Repentance is crucial to a Christian.

July 31, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  15. TheVeteran

We simply don't know if it is ALWAYS a choice, because we are not our makers. Our maker does, so leave that to him. And do what he told you to do-LOVE.

July 30, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  16. TheVeteran

@eli: I believe you are missing the point. All sin is sin. And we all sin. The problem with Conservatism is that they point the finger and want to condemn others, while ignoring their own sins. There were a group of folks that did the same thing in Christ's day on earth. They were the Pharisees.

Only a sinless person is truly qualified to judge. And we all know that there was only one sinless person–Jesus Christ, who is our judge. Everyone here on earth is flawed. So, if we must judge, we should start by looking inward. Judge yourself first. When you do that, you realize that you are unqualified.

This goes against Conservative teachings. That's why I am proudly Christian, and proudly NOT conservative. Conservatism is a cult like following that does not align with Christ's teachings.

July 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • Darth Okier Lexor

true that my man

July 30, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  17. Bill

Something tells me that Jesus Christ loves Anne Rice a little be more than he did yesterday.

July 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
    • Sally B.

If I understand you correctly, it's like He's going after the lost sheep. And yes–this dear woman is lost at this time.

July 30, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  18. Tom

Everyone here needs to understand too that procaliming that something is wrong or a sin is not being judgemental nor is it "anti" anything. Love the sinner but hate the sin. The atheists and those who behave in ways that are contrary to the Bible love to call out Christians on being judgemental and intolerant for simply living out there beliefs. I am kind and courteous to all but I'm not going to hide my faith for your comfort.

July 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
    • Phillip

I have to voice a concern over this comment. Biblical instruction on sin, especially that which was written by Paul, was directed at the church and it's members: not those outside of the faith. The teachings were to instruct Christians, not to point out flaws in non-believers. We must love people...that's it. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is like saying I love you, but I don't love who you are. It just doesn't work. I'm not saying we accept sin, just let God deal with it. All we are called to do is shine the light and point others towards God's glory.

July 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
    • Q

"Everyone here needs to understand too that procaliming that something is wrong or a sin is not being judgemental nor is it "anti" anything" [sic].

Asserting subjective moral proclamations of "right" or "wrong" from magical books as some empirical standard isn't being judgmental at all. It's simple if you think about it really. For example, "thou shalt not commit murder" and "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling" are entirely concordant and consistent proclamations of proper moral behavior. How can anyone not see the eternal wisdom here?

July 31, 2010 at 2:07 am |
    • CatholicMom

Phillip,
      Love the sinner, hate the sin……………
      A person is not their sin. We can love a person but not love what they do [an act, if it is sin.]

July 31, 2010 at 11:50 am |
    • David Johnson

@Tom

You said, "The atheists and those who behave in ways that are contrary to the Bible love to call out Christians on being judgemental and intolerant for simply living out there beliefs."

Maybe atheists live contrary to the bible, but we are very good citizens. We commit far fewer crimes than people claiming to be Christian.

The prison population consists of less than 1% atheist. So who is moral?

July 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  19. faithful

Ms Rice is fallen prey to her own worldly vanity. She has made the correct assumption that a true Christian could never agree with the sinful nature of homosexuality, abortion and other elements neccessary to the faith. Her discernment is her doom.

July 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
    • Pennywise

Then shouldn't you, and the rest of you Xtians, be trying to win her back, save her soul and redeem it for prizes at the ticket counter?

July 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  20. Phillip

I'm a Christian and completely understand her point of view. However, there's a difference between God almighty the author of all creation, and the people who parade around as His "followers". We are flawed, judgemental, imperfect, hypocritical people. He perfects us. On our own, we are no better than anyone else...sometimes worse.

July 30, 2010 at 4:55 pm |