home
RSS
July 30th, 2010

Anne Rice leaves Christianity

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Read the full post on The Marquee Blog

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science • Leaders

1. pazyfe

(Pardon the previous error) Remember you are the "church," it is not a religion, it is active action, active love, active wisdom, active praise and worship. Thank God Ms. Rice that God does not give up on you, though you have given up on Him. I can see how we can at times give up on each other, but girl, not God. He is my Fortress, my Deliverer, my Strength, my Redeemer and my Sanity. I pray that you feel the same =)

August 1, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  2. SHADOWRIDER

I pray that Anne Rice will actually come to know God, and not just keep playing religion, like some many do today.

August 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  3. sheetiron

I pray she will one day become like the prodigel son. If not, God help her soul.

August 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  4. SHADOWRIDER

@peace2all, I am likewise enjoying this. One thing to always remember about hell. The real horror of hell is the lack of all of God's Mercy, Love, Grace. Forgiveness, etc. Hell was created for Satan and his rebellious followers. God never wants any of us to go there. Unfortuneatly, because we have a freewill to accept or reject God, and His promises,as well as HIS way to salvation, many put themselves into eternal judgement. God does not condemn us. We condemn ourselves. To know the true horror of hell, one need only to look at Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Many believe that He was in agony because of the torture He was about to go thru. Yet He never cried out or complained thru the whole torture and crucifixtion, except once. When He criedc out " My God, My God, why have you forsaken me." This was because the Father turned His back on Christ at that time. Why, because He was carrying OUR sins, and the stench they created before the Pure and Holy God. This very instant reflects hell, and the horror of being without the Virtues, and Love of God. It was so horryfying that Jesus sweat out drops of blood just from thinking about it. If hell will terrify the Son of God, what should it do to us. God Bless

August 1, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  5. SHADOWRIDER

peace2all, has science proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that God does not exist?. Science is based on provable facts,and it cannot prove evolution either. I know God exists, because the complexities of the human body, and the very beauty of nature tell me random acts were not enough to'create' all things. It is the pride of man that does anything in it's power to not believe in a personal loving God. Man wants control of their life, existence, and even eternal destiny. But man will never create out of thin air, nor will they overcome death, and eternal consequence. I wish you the Peace of God.

August 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
    • peace2all

@SHADOWRIDER

1)"has science proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that God does not exist?"

ME--–Of course not, my points are over time, science has continued to provide the answers to seemingly unanswerable questions. My comment, is that it seems to me that 'any' holes in science, or something that has *not yet* been explained by science, seems to get plastered with see....'God exists'. Which I think you and I know, that is not real good thought/logic/science or even religion, as more and more things are being explained, that's all.

2)"Science is based on provable facts, and it cannot prove evolution either"

ME-–A lot of my answer above applies to your next assertion. And.... Actually 97% of scientists believe in a form of 'evolution.' All of the sciences from biology, anthropology, etc...all are pointing and refining their discoveries. Again, just because, there may be a few unanswered questions*yet to be discovered* have not been answered just yet, it does not automatically mean--God exists. There is a lot of evidence, and more to come. And, even if there it turns out that there is evolution, does not mean that there is no God.

Well, SHADOWRIDER...... I could go on with all of your assertions, but my fingers are giving out..

But, leave it to say that there may be something so far beyond our understanding that one may call God, etc...

But, if it exists, I don't think it requires a belief in him and if I don't, I will burn in hell forever......THAT definition of God makes absolutely no sense...

I am enjoying our discussions...

I also wish you the Peace the passeth ALL understanding...

August 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  6. soma

The church preaches about Jesus, not the religion of Jesus that is why she left. It took strength and inner guidance to make such a decision. God Bless her. thinkunity.com

August 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  7. Robertg

Cant quit something you never really were a part of... Being a Christian isnt going to Catholic church a few times a year. Being a Christian is accepting Christ as your savior because you know you are imperfect, a sinner, and allow Chirst to be the perfection God sees when he looks at you so you can be present with Him in heaven for eternity... Once you have accepted Christ as your savior, nothing can seperate you. Not even 'quiting' chirstianity...

August 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
    • peace2all

@Robertg

Yep...Being a Christian means that you believe in original sin, JC came and paid the price with his life, to spare us eternal damnation. And now, all you have to do is ... repent, accept JC as your saviour and believe that he arose from the dead into heaven. If one 'does not' believe in JC, then you will be thrown into the very hot place i.e.. he(double hockey sticks) Some denominations of christianity have various versions on this theme, but basically they are similar.

Yeah, I believe you got it all right, but somewhere percolating in the back of my mind somewhere, is that I hear a long time ago about a sin or 2 that are unforgivable.... Does that ring a bell for you..?

Definitely not sure about this....have you heard of any...?

Just pure curiosity on this matter...

Peace to you....

August 1, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  8. MD

Thank god! Way to go Anne! We need more people to wake up.

August 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  9. SHADOWRIDER

To the UCC pastor. You seem more interested in pleasing the world than the Lord. Using His name in your church does not mean that you are His. And accepting unbiblical beliefs tends to say the opposite. It is not christian love to tell an unrepentent sinner that God will still accept them in His Kingdom. You should know better. Christ warned of false believers who would use His name, and mislead many. It's time you did some re-evaluating of your faith, and your place in the Kingdom.

August 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  10. SHADOWRIDER

To David Johnson, I can sadly see where you are coming from. You are like so many so called intellectuals, who think so highly of themselves that you could never think on the true simplicity of the Bible, and it's Spiritual interpretation. God inspired the words and only God can interpret them. If you are not willing to submit ALL to Him, then you cannot serve Him, Or understand Him, His Word or His Will. Until you are willing to look past yourself, you will never really know truth. God Bless you. Oh, and, cheers.

August 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
  11. Ronsom

It seems to me that we speak conveniently of “facts” when we really don’t have them ourselves. I applaud Anne for her boldness in rejecting what she sees as a wrong or archaic belief. However, I don’t think she has her facts straight with Christianity (although she apparently held to the catholic form of it). It seems that she’s making an emotional decision, and humans do that all the time.
    With all due respect, my studies have shown that Christianity is more than just a “belief” or a fictional story, as it is often characterized. Jesus is an historical figure, and the Bible is an historical document, with manuscripts dating to the first century AD (or CE, whichever you prefer). People come out, it seems, every few months with their opinions on why Christianity (unfortunately distinguished from Christians) is a fairy tale, only to have those opinions shot down in the subsequent weeks by those who actually know what they’re talking about. Sadly the “opinion-ators” are rarely around to defend their arguments.
    All this to say, easy believism is just that – whether you’re a theist, atheist, skeptic, or somewhere in between. Nevertheless, I will consider these arguments, if you want to call them that, and see where the truth leads. I only hope that Anne continues her search and is open to where that truth leads.

August 1, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  12. peace2all

Quick... Someone get Anne to the de-programmers before she loses her sense of reality and attempts to go back to christianity.

August 1, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  13. JJ

The New Testament is a wonderful love story. My world is better with God in it.

July 31, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
    • peace2all

@JJ

As long as you recognize it is just that.....'a story.' Not fact.... Just your belief. Glad that your fairy tale beliefs make you feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

August 1, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  14. peace2all

@Ed Ferner

Sorry to bust your bubble here, ...but..... Just because a person "believes" a supernatural event has taken place.... absolutely 'does not' in any way mean that it is god or any supernatural being.

You are going on what you 'believe'... but remember, to believe something does not make it so, or = to fact.

Peace...

July 31, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  15. peace2all

Well, it seems that Anne has made progress in coming to her senses. It is a good start anyway.

She stopped drinking the 'kool-aid'

July 31, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  16. Steve

The real news is that the bible is not what you think it is. Do you really think that such structure, characters and thoughts came completely new out of the first century?

No, I believe that there is something more fundamental going on here. Many churches are experiencing decline and fear does not have the same bite it had in the past. People grow tired of being preyed upon.

For those with a truly open mind and the ability to check the source, of a source, of a source, will see that one has to go all the way back to Egypt to find the roots of the Judeo–Christian tradition.

Christian ideas in the bible are neither original nor unique. Virgin birth, the Magi, December 25th and on and on all had precedents hundreds to thousands of years before they were supplanted and reworked in the 2nd and 3rd century AD and placed in the first century for 'discovery' and falsely attributed.

Witness: D. M. Murdock, Kenneth Humphreys and many others.

20% of the US population claim no religious affiliation and the other 80% are slowly waking up to the fact that the closer you look the more faint the prospect that religion ever delivers on their promise of salvation and eternal life. When you stand on nothing (or plagiarized work not your own), even the pious fall eventually.

Steve

July 31, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
    • peace2all

@Steve

Well said...

Peace...

July 31, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  17. David Johnson

I don't think I've ever read one of Ann Rice's books, but I'm on the way to the book store now!

July 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
    • NL

Her Christ the Lord series is interesting. I found the scene where the homosexuals were stoned without trial early in the second book particularly telling of where her mind was headed even then.

July 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  18. Ross

Ms. Rice, I have been and continue to be a fan of your work. I left the Catholic religion for virtually the same reasons you provide for disavowing your Christian faith. Not all organized religions follow the same rigid doctrine as the Catholic religion as you know. There are churches that more than simply accept all people but embraces them as God's children regardless. I hope you find that place as there is peace and love in Christ's embrace. Please keep an open mind and open heart.

July 31, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  19. AnneTheIdiot

July 31, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • David Johnson

You said, "It's a good thing MS. Rice was a Christian, for if she were to denounce her faith had she been a muslim, she'd have been stoned to death. It's nice to be mouthy when you are renouncing a religion of peace, isn't it, MS. Rice?"

Actually, Ms. Rice could have denunced her religion even if she was Muslim and not be stoned. At least in this country.

Christianity is not a religion of peace. The god you worship is a murderer. Have you read the Old Testament? Many Christians advocate the death penalty for gays. Doctors are gunned down while attending church. No, you cannot claim Christianity is a religion of peace. For grins google: "How many people have been killed by Christianity". Its a hoot.

July 31, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  20. iggie

Hey Annie! Want to borrow my cell and call someone who gives a sh**?

July 31, 2010 at 11:10 am |