home
RSS
July 30th, 2010

Anne Rice leaves Christianity

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Read the full post on The Marquee Blog

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science • Leaders

1. Scalar

I see some very good replies, too. The vital thing is to trust in Jesus as your only eternal Savior, Messiah, God the Eternal Son. I know very well that Christian people can often be very mean and cold and judgemental. But there are also tons of wonderful loving giving people too who are caring. Remember: Believers are the church of Jesus Christ. Not the building or denomination. Whatever happens please never allow yourself to go away from or blame Jesus for the bad things people do.
    Jesus does love every single person on this blog and the whole world. He died for all humans and He loves and knows you and what is going on with you. You are precious to Jesus! Anne Rice is precious to Jesus! Anne: Remember Jesus loves you and died for you.

People, don't run to false sources and false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing, run to Jesus the Lamb and Lion of God! 🙂

August 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  2. Daringtobelieve

I know God is real because I can feel Him. I don't know what I would do without him. There is so much JUDGEMENT in church and Christianity, I agree, it has made me stop going to church or even wanting to be around other Christians. BUT I CANNOT DENY WHAT I HAVE KNOWN in my HEART and MIND!!!!!! It's a PERSONAL thing between a person and GOD. "Let EVERY man work out his OWN salvation with fear and trembling!"

August 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  3. Tony

According to Anne's posts, her core issues are with people and politics in church. Quick, name an organization where you won't run into issues, sooner or later, with people and their politics. So, should we all stay home and avoid having our pet views challenged? What would that accomplish? How would we learn and grow?

The Church does not exist to affirm us, but rather to transform us. It is not a gallery of polished saints, but rather a hospital for broken sinners. Who would go to a hospital and complain that people are there in need of healing? The Church could do a better job of being less political and more real, certainly. But if Ms. Rice went to church expecting to find perfect people who always agree with her, no wonder she was sorely disappointed.

And yet, I'll guess that she's had bad food before, but hasn't stopped eating. I'll guess she has read a bad book before, but hasn't stopped reading. I'll guess she has been let down by a friend, but hasn't given up on people. Giving up on Christianity because of disappointment with brokenness is a smokescreen.

Anne doesn't need a church that affirms her politics. She, like the rest of us, needs a church that proclaims biblical truth – correct teaching, forgiveness of sins, encouragement in the faith, and the hope of eternal life in Jesus' name.

August 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  4. Elizabeth Wallace

Anne Rice has left the dogma of organized religion that practices under the collective umbrella of "Christianity." She has not, nor will she abandon the truth of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

August 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  5. Harry

to Anne rice .. God does love you even if some of His people hurt you. One statement "Hurt people hurt people" I am a Christian, saved by the Grace of God alone. I spent time on the street with nothing. I know what it is to be seconds away from literal death and have God intervene in my life. I am not on here to defend Jesus as He is a lot stronger then me and doesn't need my help. He saved me. He laid His life down for me. He loves everyone that has written on this blog the same no matter how you respond to Him. Anne, I hope you find your way back and know that I Harry. One believer in Jesus Christ, will pray for you. All the argueing that is going on in this blog was literally foretold in the scriptures were men would leave the faith for false teachings and would chase after people that would "Tickle their ears" with doctrine that suited them, and that they would reject the truth. Proof of a life that has been transformed by Christ is compassion towards the needy, and the building of Gods kingdom. We don't get to God through works, but a natural by product of salvation is a changed life. Just some food for thought. Love everyone on this Blog. May God richly bless those who seek the truth. And awaken those who attack Him.

August 4, 2010 at 4:20 am |
  6. Scalar

I am on one hand shocked and yet not so shocked at the utterly infantile, ridiculous, illogical, and irrational claims so many of you unbelievers here make. First of all, I am not a "self righteous" person. I deserve to burn in Hell, in the literal Lake of Unquenchable Fire, forever. The only goodness I have in me is what the Lord Jesus Christ has given me. Also, I understand many of you here may have been hurt by Christians and false professing Christians, but most of your responses prove you only use strawman (false) attacks against Biblical Christianity.

1 Anne Rice, if she is truly saved, will ultimately come back to Jesus Christ. She most likely does not and has not ever truly understood and believed in Jesus Christ as Lord God and ONLY Eternal Savior. If you think Jesus is a good man, a good teacher, or even the son of God, but you deny that He is the only eternal Life Giver, the only Messiah Savior who gives you EVERLASTING Life, you are L O S T. Millions of professing Christians are LOST because they think its Jesus plus good works, water baptism, and/or other beliefs.

2 The Bible is 100 percent proven to be true and without true contradictions or errors. All claims of contradictions and errors are false, and have been answered. The Bible was NOT written "300 years after Christ", rather, the Bible was written and totally complete, the New Testament, within 90 years of 1 AD. The Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ was complete by 90 AD. The Bible is proven by 100 percent fulfilled prophecies that were to be fulfilled within their right time. As far as prophecies such as world peace, that will happen when He returns.

August 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
    • Pete

The earth is flat. All of the planets, the sun included revolve around the earth. Hogwash spouted by the church even now. They were saying that god was punishing us for our sins, during the plauges of the Dark Ages. The collection of stories recognized as the bible weren't even gathered together until Constatine's time. What about the other books, the ones that did not jibe with the party line? Those people belived in god also, are they all wrong? Get over it, believe as you will. Stupidity is a much easier path than intelligence.

August 5, 2010 at 12:39 am |
  7. AJ

You know folks for being such an intelligent group of people I see some really lame questions/responses. It is called FAITH. Christ was either crazy or correct in his teachings and HE loved everyone, but that does not mean that he condoned their behavior if it contradicted his teachings. As far as the comments about all of the terrible things happening in the world – this is a common goofy statement (that how can GOD allow....). Think about it. If you are perfect in all of your ways one attribute cannot contradict another attribute. Thus, he can't give us free choice and make us not do evil things; this is the reason the Christ died for us. Its all about HIM and not about us. I would ask the question what does the Bible teach (principles) that most of us don't already strive to achieve. For example, if you are in need you would want someone to lend a helping hand, everyone would agree that they want to love and give love, you don't want to kill, or to steal, etc.....
    Think about this folks. What if Christians are right about Christ and his teachings and that HE is the way to Heaven then they will be in Heaven one day and those who do not follow Christ will be in Hell... However, if they are wrong at least they don't lose out as they have tried to live their lives according to principles that most of us would say are commendable and so they WIN either way.....
    BTW – Christ is the only way whether you like it or NOT. Gary ask yourself this question – why are you so turned off to the Bible? It is about faith. Try it out and you will see what BILLIONS of people have seen throughout time.

August 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  8. Child of God

Hi Gary, Yes, I do. The bible writings have survived that long as they are the word of God, and it is the word of God who inspired the writings that I base my faith. God Bless and Peace!

August 3, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  9. OBALARO

I am amazed that AR could do the easy, fashionable, and cowardly thing by rejecting the entirety of “Christianity” and “being Christian.” My “Christian” church and belief in “Christianity” welcomes feminist, gays, science, humanist, and even Democrats. Maybe her problem is with strict Catholicism; maybe she has just lost her faith. She is a hypocrite to say she rejects “Christianity” but embraces being a Democrat. It is like saying, “I don’t want any dirt on me but I love living in a cesspool.”

August 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  10. Gary

Anne as an agnostic you should "quit" listening to people and the sick interpretations of religous fanatics ...You shouldnt turn your back on Christ though. He is nothing like the "Christians" who claim to follow him.

August 2, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  11. Child of God

The greatest lie Satan will ever convince you of is that there is no God and no Hell. Spirit of AntiChrist.
    It is not about religion, its about a personal relationship with God, creator of all things.
    God is alive and well.
    Why blame God for thngs? We are not in a world free from sin. Jesus was Gods own son, and he suffered persecution...we are no different.
    I hope the hearts and eyes of you who are blinded by the Devils lies will be opened, before its too late. LOve and Peace to all.

August 2, 2010 at 8:08 am |
    • Gary

Child of God, you get this from the bible. I text written by men for men 2100+ yrs ago. No proof whatsoever is true. You base it all on faith. .....

August 2, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  12. Franzg

There is no god, just a lot of people with crazy beliefs they call faith in whatever, and if Anne Rice would do the right thing, she would drop this belief completely. How can you be part of a religion, and just respect some of it's rules and teachings? And what religion allows this anyway? What a srewed up mind she must have, just like most of you commenting here with explanations/excuses for the shortcomings of your oh so perfect religions.

August 2, 2010 at 3:18 am |
    • DangerMouse

Her willingness to admit a mistake is not "srewed up", it is an indicator of intelligence, humility, and courage.
      Now it's your turn.

August 2, 2010 at 3:36 am |
    • gail

we have a decision: we can either believe what You say. Or. we can believe what God says! even if i were not a beliver in Jesus Christ, which i am. i wouldnt feel the anger and emptiness you seem to radiate! why would it bother you that we believe in God? is doesnt bother us that you dont!

September 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  13. JeremyB.

Sounds like a lot of people have been burnt by nominal, self-esteem, prosperity, shallow, Americanized Christianity here. Why would people not walk away when they were sold a goods that don't deliver what they thought. God still saves when His truth is preached. Should we expect people to react any differently than what they do here, if the message is riddled with narcissism? Maybe the American Christian church needs a little persecution to weed out false converts, who profess but give little more than lip service....Matthew 15:8

August 2, 2010 at 12:47 am |
  14. SHADOWRIDER

There seems to b e a lot of hatred for God. The Lord, Himself said He would be hated by many because He convicts them of their sin. When you look for God, if you are not truly seeking Him in reality and truth, then you will find a false God who either reflects your own ideals and ways. Or you will find a false little g god who has no problem, giving you false thoughts and ideals. Quit blaming God, just because you can't really face Him, and His Truth.

August 2, 2010 at 12:17 am |
  15. Stunad

Fundamentalist Christians and Fundamentalist Muslims–they deserve each other.

August 2, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  16. vampireslayer

apparantly anne has a need to "belong". apparantly her book clubs and other circles of influence aren't enough. we keep searching for things to fill our lives and they don't work. Thats because this void is GOD shaped and trying to fill it with anything other than JESUS CHRIST is mere folly. GOD doesn't conform to our limited mind but wants to transform us to HIS perfect way. If your looking to belong to something that might agree with your conscience then keep trying those book clubs but if you looking for something bigger to belong to that will fill that void and never pass away then look to CHRIST and his word.

August 1, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  17. Child of God

God is here..living in us that have accepted his atonement for our sins. I pray for all of you with Christian love, and especially those of you who do not know our Father. I love you all and pray he will lead you to accept him also. W e will alll stand before him someday, at the Judgement. His word says so.
    If you don't believe in him, and do not seek a personal relationship with he who created you, just remember it was your own free CHOICE to do so. Man will make his plans, but God will have his way. He loves you and does not wish for anyone to perish. Love and Peace to all.

August 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Jeremy B.

1 John 2:19...."They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us." Christianity is not a country club. You don't check in and out as you please. Being a Christian is a supernatural heart change. Jesus said that you cannot enter heaven unless you have born from above. The change is a permanent change. Is it a nature change that still battles with an earthly flesh? Yes. Do we fail? Yes. Are we perfect? No. Are there a lot of hypocrites who call themselves Christians? Yes. Is that your excuse for rejecting the Savior? Probably. I guess the thing that saddens me the most is that this entire article and it's comments are more than likely due to the shallow, nominal, Americanized Christianity we see everyday in tons of churches and on TV. You know, the kind that strokes your ego, boosts your self esteem, tweaks your life, kind of like Dr. Phil with a few Bible verses thrown in for good measure. Folks, that's not all that Christianity is about. Are some of those things a part of it? Sure, but it's primarily about reconciliation to the Creator through faith in His Sin. It is easy to see that many people in this feed were spoon fed a Christianity far from the Biblical one. The God of the Bible is one who loves but within that love, He is perfectly just. He does not turn a blind eye to sin. We would never expect a judge in the court of law to turn a blind eye, but we expect the God of the universe to pat us on the back and say, ahhhh, you're not as bad as the next guy. The Bible never teaches that if your good outweighs your bad, that you're ok. The Bible never teaches that your deeds earn you favor that merits heaven. In fact that Bible puts forth a Savior because you cannot save yourself. He is a perfect judge and he takes sin, which is basically cosmic treason against him, seriously. So seriously that Jesus willingly came to earth to live the perfect life that you and I can't live and to die the death that you and I deserve so that those who have true saving faith could be restored to a right relationship with Him. God also says that your deeds are "filthy rags" in Isaiah 64:6. Know what that's referring to in the Hebrew? Dirty menstrual cloths. God is basically saying, "I'm sending a Savior for you. A perfect spotless lamb who would be battered, bruised, treated like an animal being slaughtered. My own Son. How dare you wave your good deeds in my nose like a dirty menstrual cloth." That's the seriousness of this. Please set aside all the presuppositions that you have because your parents professed to be Christians but you saw no real fruit. Set aside the nominal Christianity that you see on TV that says Jesus wants you to prosper and have a Mercedes, all you have to do is send the TV minister a check. Maybe, even set aside your own profession of being a Christian, which may be a facade that really has no root in your heart. Isaiah 29:13 says, "And the Lord said: “ this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me." Make sure that there is a heart change that sees Christ as supreme over all. God still saves sinners, for which, I, the person typing this is the greatest sinner of all. May the Lord draw you to himself with an irresistible grace this day. Trust in the Lord, for He is good and able to save you! All for His glory!

August 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
    • Clay

This is beautiful. And True. Thank you, Jeremy.

August 2, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  19. Kymmyb

I find it quite amusing that anyone thinks they can "quit" God. Once you have accepted Him no matter where you go He is there waiting....waiting....waiting....waiting....and I could go on. I once heard someone say that once you are a Christian, you are ruined for anything worldly.

August 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
    • JohnQuest

I have enjoyed reading Anne's books, they have provided me with hours of enjoyment. I guess she got tried of the hypocrisy. As a non Believer, what I find amusing is the attributes people choose to equate with their God, for instance, all the good and beautiful things in life are a results of Gods "love", and all the bad and ugly things in life are a results of mans choices, not God's dislike for us. Seems to me that if God is in control of everything then the bad and ugly things should be equated with him/her/it too. How do you separate the good and bad from the idea of God. If God is responsible for the beautiful flower then God is equally responsible for the tsunami that kills 200,000 people. It is very easy for me, there is no God therefor I don't have to jump throw hoops to explain why bad things happen.

August 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  20. pazyfe

You know David Johnson, we cannot ask The king of Kings and The Alpha and the Omega to operate and answer prayers the way we want Him to he is not a robot and neither are you. When you look up at the infinite skies, see the smile of a child, the beauty of the clouds you cannot say that the Grand Artist did not create them. I am a single mother and I have 2 sons one has Down Syndrome I used to ask " why," now I say to myself, why not? I gave God a chance in my life, from the time my son was born and He has not let me down, He has taught me to be stronger, to pray and ask for guidance when I see and hear things that I do not understand. When I see people complain about the most insignificant things, I look at my son and thank God for all he has done. I thank God for my journey, my insight about what LIFE really is. My son is 23 years old and every day I am given, everyday he is given, I see God's purpose in my life in his life. I see each day now as a treasure, don't get me wrong I have my days in the valley, but I have learned to ask The Holy Spirit, as my Comforter to guide me and allow Gods will to be accomplished in my life. I work at a nearby hospital, with the AIDS, addicts, Cancer, the poorest pf the poor and I see them as people who need help and love just as I needed when I was in my devastation, upon learning that I had a child with special needs. I don't hate people, I hate the choices people make, to give in to desires and instant gratifications that lead us into destruction. In the end, all we are looking for is acceptance and love, I have many many gay friends, I don't judge because I am not to judge. I know many sinners, I am one, but we have to take responsibility for the choices we make, and know that everything we do affects those around us. If I gave in to every outlandish, crazy whim and desire I would be in serious trouble. So look at the Heavens, receive each day as a gift, make a difference where you stand, and please please please give thanks for ALL that He has done.

August 1, 2010 at 7:11 pm |