home
RSS
August 22nd, 2010

Obama's 2004 interview about his faith

Back in 2004, then Illinois State Senator Barack Obama sat down with Cathleen Falsani, then the religion columnist for the Chicago Sun Times. Falsani's interview with Obama gives deep insight into the President's faith.

Falsani talked about the interview with CNN's Fredricka Whitfield on Saturday.

You can read the transcript of the entire interview with Obama and Falsani at her website here.

Falsani said that this interview has gotten more response than any other she's done in her career as a religion journalist .  She said she still gets about two emails a day from people asking about the interview.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Islam • Leaders • Politics

1. Marc-the-Pooh

Obama's faith runs parallel to mine when he says: "...I’m rooted in the Christian tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people. That there are values that transcend race or culture, that move us forward, and there’s an obligation for all of us individually as well as collectively to take responsibility to make those values lived."

I share the same spiritual principles that the President has, and I happen to think and know that I am living the spirituality that is defining the 21st century man. It is a mysticism that transcends religious boundaries, and it is one which is spiritually transforming humanity and, eventually, the world we live in.

September 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  2. ned kelly

Jesus Christ is the only pathfor any one of any time in human history mr president. As all christian churches are corrupt and Jesus's Church is the only vehicle for salvation all should speak with a guarded tongue we see through a glass darkly.

August 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  3. chillipepper

I don't think Obama is a religious man. I think he favors the radical type churches somewhat. Like Rev.Wright's which concentrates more on political issues than religion.Obama belonged to that church for it's political views and very little if none on the Christian side. Also to promote himself in the commuity,make a name for political aspirations. I think Obama is so far left that he is one of those who hold that grudge i hear other lefties use about the Christians are the one that owned slaves.Which is true.I know people who dislike Christianity and they'll say Christians had slaves and killed more people than any other Religion.Obama buys all into that, as if Christians are the same as when they owned slaves. Christians have got it right now but not according to alot of Christian haters. I believe Obama has more Sympathy and sides more with the Muslim faith even though i don't believe he is very regigous at all.

August 23, 2010 at 6:35 am |
    • Selfish Gene

And where did you receive your revelation? Reading his books? Interviews?

August 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  4. ken

He's been straight edge on this. If you hate the man for his policies, then do so; don't bring this birther-faith-crisis crap.

August 23, 2010 at 2:35 am |
    • Vlad near Seattle

I'm with ken on this one. I'm so tired of it all I could just impale somebody.

August 23, 2010 at 6:46 am |
  5. foxsel60

I do know that President Obama is not a Ku Klux Klun member.

August 23, 2010 at 12:34 am |