home
RSS
August 26th, 2010

Nuns mark Mother Teresa's 100th birthday

A solemn Mass at the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata, India, marked the 100th anniversary of Mother Teresa's birth on Thursday.

People from all walks of life gathered at the global headquarters of the order of nuns, which Mother Teresa founded 60 years ago.

"It's a great day of joy for all of us to celebrate the gift of Mother's life," said Sister Nirmala, Mother Teresa's immediate successor. "Mother who allowed God to live in her has put a bright light in the world, enlightening the hearts and minds of so many people."

Read the full post

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Asia • Catholic Church • Christianity • India

1. Guest

being one of their respective selves.

I thought Mother Teresa was a great example of a life lived in service but her published diaries were redolent of intense doubt wrt why and for whom she was serving. I hope she finally found out for sure to her great and pleasant surprise finally.

September 1, 2010 at 3:52 am |
  2. FYI

@One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

And yet, you posted the links without any commentary on them–leading us to believe that you bought in to their central premise of bringing down MT. It makes you seem very small.

Sorry if my failing to post anything besides the links led you (or anybody else) to that conclusion. While I admire her work, I do not accept at face value that all of ones work are always noble, if you will. Therefore, let us see the whole picture and make our decisions.
    I am sorry if you feel that makes me look very small. To be honest, I usually do post more then links, but I was in a hurry at that time (someone needed the computer and I was literally told I had to get off). I figured I could say more, as I did here, after comments were spoken.
    Please don't judge a person by appearances.

August 29, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  3. FYI

I want to say I am not trying to tarnish her work. What she did was more then admirable.
    I was just responding to the two links I posted. I did find it odd, she questioned her faith in God and Heaven, in the end. Most Catholics are staunch believers in the church.
    Regarding the other nun that left, (as sure as she probably did know it would be a life of poverty and obdience) I don't think she bought into the "suffering" part that she expierienced under the order that MT founded.

August 29, 2010 at 8:24 am |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

I'm sure MT would say that the poor suffer, Jesus suffered. Who was she, or any other person, to live a life of luxury? Like a bird of the field, whatever she truly needed God provided. If she didn't really need it, she wasn't given it. She trusted completely in the providence of God.

Even as an atheist, I'm impressed by her charity, her thoughtfulness, and her good-will toward others.

August 29, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  4. FYI

@One Whose Name Means Beloved of God
    She wonders if there is a God and a Heaven? Did you read the article? All the money that she got from thousands of people, never helped the poor and needy. It went into the hands of the Vatican.
    And as far as the former nun, she is the one that had enuff and left, after seeing what MT didn't do. Whats wrong with that??

August 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

Yes–I read both articles. So? Shouldn't people actually think about what they believe from time to time? Certainly one who has seen far more suffering than either one of us can hardly be faulted for wondering about the great plan God has. That in no way states that she lost her faith or that she was somehow lessened by her consideration of other possibilities.

Sisters of Charity are not an individual organization any more than any individual Catholic Church. Do you really think all of the donations are spent locally? The former nun knew this going in. She also knew what type of life she would be expected to lead–one of poverty and obedience. She didn't want to–so she left. And? I'm sure a great many people aren't cut out for being nuns.

Nothing of what you've said have tarnished the decades of work MT did with those who were untouchable, uncared-for, unloved.

August 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  5. FYI

A tale of her and where the money went.

August 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

This is another interesting question.Whose money is it? It certainly didn't belong to the former-nun quoted in the article. Nuns take a vow of poverty. They can't very well live up to their vows if they are given luxuries. The Sisters of Charity in particular swear to live in the same poverty as those they serve.

Nuns also swear obedience. This nun is a former nun for obvious reasons.

August 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  6. FYI

Questions her belief system

August 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

So? She questioned her faith. Shouldn't she? Shouldn't anyone interested in a richer knowledge of themselves and their relationship with the divine?

Frankly, I don't care what she believed. The fact that she was willing to spend her life in the service of others, speaks louder of her character than what paltry evidence this article digs up. If questioning her faith resulted in the outpouring of compassion from this humble woman, then we should all be so lucky that she (and others like her) did.

August 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  7. FYI

Mother Theresa's close spiritual adviser, one of the Catholic church's' most notorious convicted pedophile priests.

August 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  8. Ruzana

I am not a Catholic, but Mother Theresa was the embodiment of a saint. Saint means " separate yourself for God" and that was exactly what she did. She is perfect example of love for their neighbor, I think that she love them more than she love herself. Besides being a humble nun, she was a Great Humanitarian, and because she lived, now her followers are helping the poorest of the poor in the whole world. I see in her a Great Humanitarian that should be recognize by the whole world despite her faith. God Bless Mother Theresa and all her followers. What they do is Christianity in action. I did not post before.

August 28, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  9. Ruzana

August 28, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  10. Reality

On Mohammed's birthday, the lights in the Empire State building should be extinguished. Ditto for all lights around the world. Such action would reinforce the darkness this womanizing, hallucinating, and warmongering Arab has brought to the world!!!

Mother T? Great, gracious, caring lady but the flawed theology of her church has brought too much darkness to the world and therefore light-up ceremonies are not warranted.

August 27, 2010 at 8:10 am |
  11. deytukarjobs

India is only a phone call away.

August 27, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  12. NEON whip

catholicmom
    there's only one teresa. where are the rest

August 26, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  13. CatholicMom

What a tremendous example of how one should live their life.

Just looking upon a picture of her face makes me desire to do more for the poor and suffering of the world.

Mother Teresa was a gift to the world.

August 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm |