home
RSS
August 27th, 2010

Poll: Muslims have highest Obama approval; Mormons lowest

President Barack Obama gets his highest approval rating among religious groups from Muslims and his lowest from Mormons, according to a newly released national poll.

A Gallup survey indicates that in the first half of this year, 78 percent of Muslims approved of the job the president's doing in the White House, while just 24 percent of Mormons give Obama a thumbs up.

According to the poll, the president's approval rating among Protestants and other Christians was 43 percent, it stood at 50 percent for Catholics, 61 percent among Jews, 63 percent for Atheists, Agnostics and those with no religion, and 64 percent for those from other non-Christian religions. The president's approval among all Americans stood at 48 percent.

Read the full story on CNN's Political Ticker

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Polls

1. FYI

@Eric

I don't thnk having a logic based on what you may have stored in your memory bank concerning the Detroit Lions, would qualify under intuition. So, fist answer is no.
    Second, I would have to know how God gave the tip,lol? If you mean a feeling to play a certain number, and hit?Again, the number could be influenced by some prior thing stored in your memory. Perhaps, you are not conscously aware of I would say that sounds more like chance, as God is suppose to not be too fond of Gambling. wink!
    Now, if you hit, and was sure it was God,lol, he did say Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasars.lol,lol!!

September 2, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  2. AGA

September 2, 2010 at 2:26 am |
  3. Eric G

I have a hunch that the Detroit Lions will stink. This is why I never buy season tickets. I have never been wrong. Did god send me inside info about the Lions? If I go to Vegas and win a bunch of cash because of the tip I received from god, do I have to pay taxes on the winings?

August 30, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
  4. FYI

@Verify
    Sure, hunches pan out sometimes... but I probably have a bad feeling before boarding *any* flight, especially a small plane.

Seth MacFarlane, producer of "Family Guy" missed one of the 9/11 flights – he overslept. He said in a recent TV interview that doesn't attribute his escape to anything magical – he has also missed many flights which have not ended in disaster.

I agree. Thing is, its there for us to use. Like an umbrella, we may carry one just in case it rains. Intuition is there to be used if we choose to act on it. Just as carrying the umbrella keeps us from getting wet in a rain storm, the intutive distinct is there should we act upon it. I just think its neat we have this built in thing that operates in cases sometimes for our own good, and not just by chance.

August 30, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  5. Keith

Eric G, Sorry, was actually at church. To answer your question about knowing or believing: to me it started with a blind faith, but the closer I grow to God, the more I know He exists. I can understand your wanting proof. For me, I took the leap of faith first and I only see more and more to make me convinced that I made the right choice. Like I said, prophecy fulfilled can be very convincing. If Zechariah's prophecy is of a nuclear blast(s), can you see how bizzare this would have seemed 2,500 years ago. Similiarly, John speaks of the "sky rolling up like a scroll". This also looks like a mushroom cloud. But one good example of fulfilled prophecy concerns the destruction of Tyre. It is very unique.

August 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
    • Eric G

Keith, you seem unwilling to answer the question. I will try once more. Hypotheticaly, if you were in a room with a box, and in the box was absolute, indisputable proof that your god either does or does not exist, would you look in the box?

August 30, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  6. FYI

Ditto DavidJohnson!
    While I may disagree with somethings you say,lol, I must admit I have had some good laughs, thanks to your good sense of humor.
    Just sign me "a friend" 🙂
    @Eric...May I please have a check too,lol? David doesn't need it, he is rich....!

August 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
  7. David Johnson

I must say, and I have nothing to gain from saying it, I truly enjoy reading Eric G's, Verify's, and FYI posts. Mostly I agree and often wish I could say things the way they do.

Cheers, my friends!

August 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
    • Eric G

Thanks David. Likewise. (your check is in the mail, by the way.)

August 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  8. Eric G

Apparently, Keith does not want to play anymore.

August 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  9. FYI

@Verify
    I don't know about that,lol.
    I do know a friends father that had a bad feeling about boarding a plane, and wound up walking away. Lucky he listened to his "hunch". A short time later, that plane hit a bridge over the Potomac River, killing alll but 5 people on board. This was all over the news. You can read it here.
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N62AF Its the last one down.

August 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
    • verify

FYI,

Seth MacFarlane, producer of "Family Guy" missed one of the 9/11 flights - he overslept. He said in a recent TV interview that doesn't attribute his escape to anything magical - he has also missed many flights which have not ended in disaster.

August 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  10. FYI

Meant to say "GLAD" OH Gald! I let my fingers get in the way of my dsylexia!! LOL

August 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  11. FYI

@DavidJohnson LOL! you said:
    I am not doing your comments justice. My wife is wanting to go to breakfast. I will try to get back later today. You thoughts are interesting. Cheers!

I am glad your intution( or good common sense) tells you that you better not be on this blog, when the wife is hungry and wants to go out for breakfast! LOL! Score a point for you! 🙂
    Thank you, I am gald you find them interesting. Look forward to your other responses, should you choose. Cheers Back@cha!

August 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  12. justSayin

I grew up in the Mormon religion, but no longer consider myself a member. Let me clarify a few things:

1 – Mormons don't believe God came to earth on a spaceship. They do, however, believe that he came from a planet called Kolob, where he lives with his many, many wives. We are believed to be the 'spirit children' of God and his wives. To clarify: Mormons believe that through righteous living, men can become Gods. It is believed that God was once a man who became a God. Yes, this begs the 'chicken or the egg' question, but that issue has never really been explained to me.

2 – Mormons no longer practice polygamy, but polygamy is fundamental to Mormon theology, since the ultimate goal for priesthood-holding Mormon men is to arise to becoming a God and basically populate a planet with your own spirit children you've created with your multiple wives, just as it is believed God did.

If a Mormon tries to tell you they no longer practice polygamy, simply ask them if a widowed woman needs to get a spiritual divorce from her dead husband before she can marry someone else in a Mormon temple. The answer is yes, she does. Now ask them if the same rule applies to a man if his wife dies and he wants to marry someone else in a Mormon temple. The answer is no. Why? Because Mormons believe that (priesthood holding) men can (and should) amass as many wives as they can in their journey to becoming Gods. Women, on the other hand, are meant to make spirit-babies, and therefore need to be temple-married to a man to fulfill this duty.

3 – Black men have been able to become members of the Mormon church for a long time (I am not sure if there was ever a time that they weren't allowed to be members), but they were not allowed to hold the Melchizedek priesthood (the highest 'level' of priesthood in the Mormon church, and the one needed to ultimately become a God) until 1978. And as you can see from my earlier points, this would mean that there would be no way for a black man to live with God after death and ultimately become a God of his own.

4- Mormons are Christians inasmuch as they believe that Christ died for our sins and that He is the Son of God. But the issue becomes hazy when you look at Mormon theology and why they wear their 'spiritual underwear', or garments.

Mormons believe that when we die, we will be met by certain angels as we make our way back to heaven. These angels will present us with certain hand gestures, and we will be asked what they mean. We will need to give the correct answer, and also return a sort of 'secret handshake' to these angels. If we answer correctly, we will be allowed to pass. We will be met by multiple angels along our journey, and will need to give different answers to each one, eventually making our way to the Celestial Kingdom (what Mormons believe to be the highest 'level' of heaven), where we will be reunited with God and Jesus.

Basically, Mormons consider heaven to be a sort of 'speak-easy', where righteous living and testifying that Jesus is our Savior might get you to the door of heaven, but ultimately you won't be able to get in without knowing the secret passwords and handshakes. Mormon garments have these symbols embroidered in to them, meant to remind Mormons of the promises they have made in their temple, and the things they need to remember in order to return to God. They also serve as a reminder to dress and behave morally, since garments should never be visible in public, and therefore don't allow for immodest dress.

Whether you can accept these additional 'rules' to Christianity or not is, of course, up to you. To me, it downplays the significance of Christ dying for our sins, and therefore is an insult to the intelligence and wisdom of God. But I can tell you this: I know many Mormons, and I can tell you that they are good people that know that living like Christ is a good way to live. While their religious 'rules' smack at a secret society, I do not believe that the majority of Mormons have any kind of devious intentions. Mostly, they are service-minded people that just want to do some good in the world.

August 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
    • David Johnson

WoW! Who could argue with any of that?

Actually a lot of that is really close to the episode on South Park. Good to see Cartman is keeping things real!

August 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm |