home
RSS
September 1st, 2010

Tennesee mosque rep says project’s opponent is 'extremist'

Just days after the FBI suggested a suspicious fire at the future site of a Tennessee Islamic center had been set deliberately, a spokeswoman for the center used the religiously charged term “extremist” to hit back at an opponent of the project.

In a taped interview that aired Tuesday on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360°, Laurie Cardoza-Moore said she opposes the construction of an Islamic center in Murfreesboro, because an online posting by one of the center’s board members suggested a radical agenda and raised broader questions about the judgment and the ties of the center’s leadership.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Houses of worship • Interfaith issues • Islam • Mosque • Tennessee • United States

1. gary

Where is all the money coming from to build? There are only 200 Muslims in the county for such a large facility.

August 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Iqbal khan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMKQKSV0bY&w=640&h=360]

September 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  3. Iqbal khan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsfSfs_AEE0&w=640&h=360]

September 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  4. AMERICAN

Found this site that really answers a lot of misconceptions about Islam.. Education is key ppl..

September 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  5. Kathy

If we stop a mosque from being built because of questionable comments made by one inman, then perhaps we ought to stop building catholic churches because they are a haven for pedophiles! Of course, I don't really believe all catholics are pedophiles, just as not all muslims are terrorists, just as not all christians are judgemental self-rightous pompas asses. Let's get back to what the holy books are really teaching: Love one another. That means everybody, not just those who believe as you do!

September 2, 2010 at 9:35 am |
    • Luke

HAHAHAH – You think people that are indoctrinated as children to believe the only way to salvation is their strict rules and that if you do not follow their rules that you will burn in helll can get along! HAHAH.

September 2, 2010 at 9:47 am |
    • pete

Luke,
      My faith tells me to love and take care of everyone. And i believe that is the root most most religions.

September 2, 2010 at 10:20 am |
    • Luke

Wow, you two are so insightful. So I suppose the infighting within the religious community for the last two thousand years just needed a little dosage of love? You guys are silly. It's like you think you just made some enormous breakthrough. LOVE! Oh yeah, that'll fix everything. And suddenly, the extremism will end, the religious will stop persecuting the non-religious, Christians, Jews, Muslims and Scientologists will run in the light rain holding hands and skipping stones into the lake. You make me giggle. Wow, my sides are splitting.

September 2, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • Kate

@Luke

Since no-one has actually tried it yet, how can you say otherwise?

Just sayin'

September 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
    • pete

Luke,
      I think it is funny that you like to make fun of people and put people down because you think you have a great ability to reason because you don't subscribe to religion and somehow you are smarter. You offer your criticism but nothing constructive.

September 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • Luke

pete – If you have read some of my arguments on these boards, I am constantly arguing that the path to harmony is to drop religious dogma altogether. The doctrines of the major religious, while do argue for love and respect, also are riddled with rules that divide and conquer us. If we remove religious from the equation, we're left with good people that do good and bad people that can be rationalized with. The religiously indoctrinated bad people, sadly, cannot be reasoned or rationalized with and you live in an environment such as the one you see today. Isn't it just lovely in most parts of religiously divided lands? And now you are about to start asking questions about me and how I live my life. You’ll just have to believe (you clearly have no problems with believing things) that I am a moral man that is happily married and upstanding in my community all without the grace of your religious teachings.

September 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
    • Luke

Kate – I tried it. Removing dogmatic expression was the smartest thing I've ever done.

September 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • pete

Luke,
      I could believe that your are a good man. I wasn't trying to sound snippy, but i feel like too many people on this board put other people down because they don't believe in God or because they do believe in God. Disscussion with people who don't have the same beliefs is the only way we can learn from each other and get away from these extremists views (those of the religious and those of the non-religious). You're right, so people won't get it. Doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to keep trying.

September 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  6. A Different John

I've seen the Daily Show episode where they interview both, and Camie Ayash (the mosque rep) is exactly right. Laurie Cardoza-Moore is nuttier then a Payday bar.

Additionally, for the record, I would much rather sit next to Camie Ayash on a plane flight than Laurie Cardoza-Moore.

September 2, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  7. Don

I don't agree with Islam, I am not Islamic. In fact I am Baptist. I am concerned about Islamic leaders preaching radical theories and recruiting Islamic terrorists, much as the Catholic and early Protestants did in the Middle Ages for holy wars, referred to as crusades or the Puritans who hanged and burned witches at the stake or drowned them in Salem, MA. I feel many wrongs have been done in the name of religion by many kinds of “extremists” Buddhists, Catholics, Protestants, Taoists and Muslims; and also by those trying to deny the existence of the creator by whatever name you know him by.
    I am a disabled veteran. I became this way fighting in foreign lands for the freedoms allowing people to live as they wanted, unafraid to practice the faith they believed in, to live a dignified life, and to be able to aspire to the dreams they had. It sickens me that in a country where we have a constitution which in it’s first amendment allows the people the right to practice the religion they choose; and to be free from religious persecution should they choose atheism we are having this struggle.
    I am definitely not Islamic. I believe Christ is my savior, The only Son of God, and my redeemer. I believe he rose from the grave on the third day and ascended to heaven to be with his father. Those are my beliefs. I cannot not practice Judaism as they deny Christ as the Son of God., nor Buddhism, Taoism, or any belief which denies Christ as being the Son of God, and the redeemer.
    I took an oath to defend all people’s rights. I still very much believe in that oath. I don’t agree with the philosophy of those religions but will defend their right to practice what they choose to believe.
    The Bible tells us not to judge, lest we be judged. The Bible also says God will do the judging. The bible speaks of knowing men by their works and judging them accordingly. These people have the right to build a church whether it’s called a church, a synagogue, or a mosque; that right is guaranteed in the first amendment.
    A majority people cannot be judged by a few “extremists” interspersed as small factions within the majority. No race, creed, ethnicity, or country should be judged solely by the headlines a few miscreants generate by performing outrageous acts against the sensibilities of mankind. To deny the rights of the masses because of the acts of the few is in itself an outrageous act.
    Many people have fought, died, and been maimed to establish the rights we now have, many more to preserve them. We have a right to live in safety, to follow our dreams of what we believe and to be everything and anything we desire because we are free. Should we now change the constitution to read “some people are free” “practice only religions which we agree with?”
    I believe that our belief in a supreme being, whom I choose to call God and his plan, is what has helped to make this, our country great. The Government has largely abandoned, even outlawed the mention of “God”, especially in school for prayer, and to the point of removing it from coinage and monies.
    Like many; I sometimes think this country has gone to the minorities and let the majority suffer. There is a lot I disagree with; I believe everyone has a moral responsibility to set things back right. I do not believe denying Muslims the right to build a mosque is a step in the right direction. I think this is an extremist action by an ignorant faction much the same as those extremists they are using to fuel the fire this action with.

September 2, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  8. AGA

Please visit this site to get a better understanding of what Islam really is.

Cheers! 🙂

September 2, 2010 at 12:57 am |
    • fwat

@AGA

Please visit your buff to get a better understanding of where your head is (your proctologist called – he found your head)

September 2, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • AGA

@ fwat
      get to the point weirdo. I don't get wt ur saying

September 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  9. John

Anderson Cooper did a great job to fact check the Hate monger and Islamaphobe from Tennessee. It just goes to show the extent a bigot like this will go to discredit good and decent people. I have no stake in this, I'm a Catholic and don't care where Muslims want to built their centers. Also great job by Anderson on keeping the 2 republican politicians who tried to push their conspiracy theories relating to "terror babies", as well as the democratic congresswomen, who gave out scholarships from the congressional black caucus fund to family members and how we have been disconnected from Haiti, since the cameras left and so many countries who had pledged aid, still 7 months later had not lived up to that pledge, including our own moral USA. Great job Anderson on Keeping them honest.

September 1, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
    • Kate

@John

That is the most diplomatic way I have ever heard anyone say "he demolished them"

John++

Just sayin'

September 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • A Different John

As a pagan, I have two stakes in this
      1. I don't want a Muslim theocracy in America, because Muslim theocrats look very poorly upon pagans
      (But with only 0.6% of the country being Muslim, I don't lose any sleep over the possibility)
      2. I do want equal and unrestricted rights to freedom of worship for Muslims in America, because if you start limiting religious freedom based on the popularity of a religion among the fundamentalist Christian community, I'm pretty flipping certain that pagans are next in line for oppression behind Muslims. If I don't speak for them, who will speak for me, y'know?

September 2, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  10. Reality

Islamic tenets are nothing but the fairy tales of an hallucinating, contriving, warmongering, womanizing Arab named Mohammed. And that my friends is the message mosque leaders should teach. That along with the messages about the other mumbo jumbo con jobs pulled by the likes of Paul et al and the scribes of Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism.

September 1, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Reality- this post almost sounds like when I hear militant blacks stating what they feel that the school systems should teach about hostory. Specifically the history dealing with whites. To folks like you and them there can be no good acts that can be attributed to their group that they choose to target.

The problem is that I can take you to a prison and show you examples of Muslim outreach. The same outreach programs have been reported to have reduced the reincarnation of prisonners in the same. Does that matter to you Reality, even in the least? I am not a Muslim but at the same time I have seen the good that has come from some Muslims in the name of Islam Its the same with any group.

But do continue, there are just too many folks of faith doing good in the name of a religion or simply a higher being. Today my church continued to feed the hungery and tomorrow night is thr drug counceling weekly outreach. It's too much to stop Reality, and such good acts will continue in the name of God , Allah , budda etc 🙂 The good acts were there before we came and will continue for a long time to come.

Peace kid

September 1, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
    • Reality

Mark,

You assume too much in a world full of koranic-driven terror and horror. Ditto in a world full of righteous do-gooding based on the serious flaws in the history and theology of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism.

September 1, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
    • A Different John

@Reality

As a pagan, there is no overriding unified theology for paganism. We cobble together what we like from old beliefs, sometimes combining those of different cultures, or other pagans may try to stay within one culture's belief system exclusively, or we just improvise something that speaks to our own personal spiritual path. Paganism has no dogma and we don't pretend to possess absolute truth like the monotheistic religions. As such, I don't really see how there's a glaring logical flaw in it.

Yeah, I know that thunderstorms aren't *actually* caused by battles between the god Perun and the god Veles. So what? It's a good story, especially when you place it in historical context.

September 2, 2010 at 7:15 am |
    • Reality

What modern pagans have cobbled together:

Mocking spells, curses, covens, black magic, witches, voodooing dolls, hoodooing the results, shadow books, maypoles,
      a horned god and a triple goddess and Gerald Gardiner et al, Wiccans and Pagans at their "best".

September 3, 2010 at 2:26 pm |