home
RSS
September 3rd, 2010

How Christians spoil sex

Christian marriage.

Hot sex.

Let’s try that again:

Christian marriage; hot sex.

It doesn’t quite go together does it?

Passionate, toe-curling sex isn’t normally associated with Christianity or even spirituality in general.

At least that’s what Jonathan Acuff, a Belief Blog contributor and author of "Stuff Christians Like," argues in a recent blog. He says Christians need to do a better job of connecting God with a vibrant sex life.

That’s what we’ve been told. That God and sex don’t go together. And if you say something enough times, people start to believe it’s true…. You can’t have both in the same bottle. They’re oil and water. Cats and dogs. Spencer and Heidi. They just don’t go together.

Acuff, who is married, says Christians shouldn’t just teach abstinence. They should also teach that while sex before marriage is bad, “sex when you’re married is awesome.”

He says Christians damage sex in four ways:

They teach guilt, not abstinence.

They have very few ways to discuss it.

They write 10 books about lust for every one book about the gift of sex.

They've "made the crayon box pretty small" (they're afraid of being creative during sex).

Acuff says it's time Christian couples realize passionate sex is God's idea.

We’ve bought the lie that the world gets to have wild, crazy sex and Christians, holy folks like us, have to have black-and-white, two-dimensional sex. But what if that’s wrong? What if the God who overflows us with love and hope and mercy wants that part of our lives to be as big and as colorful as two married people could possibly imagine?

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Christianity • Culture & Science • United States

soundoff (2,079 Responses)
  1. ceinture la

I discovered your blog website on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Continue to keep up the excellent operate. I simply further up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading more from you in a while!… a main

November 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  2. Ann

God is love! He meant for us to enjoy it. That is His message, simply put.

October 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  3. Lisa

the Bible says "there is nothing perverted between a husband and wife." So being a Christian means you can definitely get your freak on!! LOL

October 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  4. kuku

Perhaps the author didn't notice that Christians breed like rabbits.

September 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  5. Khal

Uh, re: Solomon, etc., I don't think that he was talking about -his- wife . . .

September 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  6. Rob

Going to a strict Baptist middle and high school warped my mind about sex. Then, later I discovered which of the teachers were having affairs, who got divorced, who was gay or bi and what a bunch of hypocrits to indoctronate immpressionable kids with B.S. I think that is why I lean more towards being an ethical humanist with slight religious leanings.

September 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Billy

A true christian would turn the other cheek instead of trolling online comment sections when you think someone says something against you.

September 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  8. Kate (not of 8)

Yes, what an easy and convenient way of disproving what I said and what we believe, by insulting me and my intelligence. I'm ready to drop all my faith and believe in your flying saucers now.

September 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm |