home
RSS
September 6th, 2010

Pope likely to meet abuse victims, archbishop indicates

London, England (CNN) - Pope Benedict XVI is likely to meet victims of child abuse when he visits the United Kingdom next week, the head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales indicated Sunday.

"The pattern of his last five or six visits has been that he has met victims of abuse," Archbishop Vincent Nichols said on the BBC'S "Andrew Marr Show."

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bishops • Catholic Church • Christianity • Europe • Pope Benedict XVI • United Kingdom

1. Tamsin

He shouldn't have the right to defend paedophiles. Jesus said love thy children, but not in THAT way!

September 11, 2010 at 5:01 am |
  2. FYI

I think the Catholic Church needs to stop hiding and come out of the closet. Too many have been hurt by her horrible tactics.
    The article says:
    The Vatican says only a tiny minority of clergy have molested children. Huh?? Not only is that a lie, but they seem to make it a "mini" sin....how NOT nice!
    That is the so called church , without stain or wrinkle? BS I say!

September 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  3. AGA

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdGBu4biWU&w=640&h=360]

September 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
    • nachooooo libre

wow that was charming.... and totally untrue... you managed to leave out the part about hating and killing non-believers.... yeah yeah... ive read the quran... i am not one of those just spewing hate...

September 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  4. Kate

The rules were clear when Ratzinger wrote them as the head of the Inquisition – talk about it, get excommunicated.

The rules are clear for those who shielded such priests – you're immune for doing what Ratzinger's rules ordered.

The rules are clear for the victims – The Church betrayed you, and has abandoned you to the limbo of plat|tudes.

The rules are clear – the Church wants this "gossip" to go away.

What I want to know is what rules will the Church pressure the victims to abide by in order to be granted this "favor" of a brief audience with Ratzinger – more oaths of silence? More threats of excommunication?

Just growlin'

September 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
    • gerald

Kate, the rules you speak of were written back in the 60s, long before ratzinger was head of the congregation. They were rules regarding what was spoken in the confessional and were protections against the privacy of the sacrament. They were not protection for priests. You have no clue what you are speaking about. But clearlly you like to hang on to prejudice and biggotry.

September 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
    • David Johnson

@gerald

Of this I am sure:
      Apr 30, 2010 ... In 2008 alone, Catholic membership declined by 400000. More than 1000 parishes have closed since 1995, and the number of priests has fallen ...
      theweek.com/article/index/202388/catholics-in-crisis – Cached

Face it dude. You say Catholic Church to people and they think: "Hide the children". LOL

September 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
    • Kate

@gerald

The rules were confirmed by Ratzinger when he was head of the Doctrine Of The Faith – the Inquisition. Those rules ordered silence on all matters relating to the subject, and threatened excommunication – Ratzinger confirmed the rules, with minor changes.

So yes, he's responsible for its continuation – and I know the topic too well, unfortunately.

Stop trying to defend him by falling for the "I knew nothing" defense. The Church, and he, knew what was happening for years – the fact those rules were written to begin with is evidence on its own they knew. Ratzinger colluded in concealing crimes against children by priests. That too is proven.

Any "audience" he "grants" will simply be theater.

September 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
    • David Johnson

I think gerald has left the building. I was just gettin' warmed up. They don't make 'em as spunky as they use to.

September 7, 2010 at 12:52 am |
    • Fast Eddie

@Kate
      Hi Kate! 😀
      I see you have not fixed your weblog yet. I can't even see the comments!

@David Johnson
      Hi David Johnson! 😀
      I am late again. (sigh) Now I will be stuck with the nightowls and all their pellets. But that's okay, I have a few of my own...
      😛

September 7, 2010 at 1:07 am |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

Probably a good idea – two things guaranteed to have me in full bore battle mode, diss my brothers and sisters in arms, or try to aid glossing over what the Catholic Church has done.

The first is obvious, but the second ...

I had a friend as a kid. More an acquaintance, but still relatively close. She committed suicide, but it was all hushed up and I never understood what had happened until I was an adult and someone let it slip in passing. When they did (before the extent of the abuse in the Church was really out) it made sense – I think everyone involved suspected the reasons.

Those ... "priests" ... refused her burial sacraments in a churchyard – because she was a suicide.

And I wonder who amongst those in the Church condemning her for being a suicide knew why she did it.

I lay it at Brady, Wojtyla, and Ratzinger's feet.

Astaghfirullah I can't forgive them.

September 7, 2010 at 1:26 am |
    • Kate

@Fast Eddie

It's on my list for this week, patience is a virtue. No need to get paranoid, I'm sure the comments Frogist and peace2all have been leaving about you aren't even remotely true!

Just teasin' ... maybe 🙂

September 7, 2010 at 1:29 am |
    • peace2all

@Fast Eddie & @ Kate

Don't worries Eddie from me... However, Kate is right.... you might want to check on what Froggy has been posting on ya'

No paranoia necessary... 🙂

Peace....

September 7, 2010 at 1:36 am |
    • peace2all

@Fast Eddie

Let's try that one again.... (No) worries, etc...etc... David Johnson and I have been drinkin' all day, got a little tongue tied there.

Peace....

September 7, 2010 at 1:38 am |
  5. Kate

The rules are clear for the victims – The Church betrayed you, and has abandoned you to the limbo of platitudes.

The rules are clear – the Church wants this "gossip" to go away.

Just growlin'

September 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  6. David Johnson

""But the rules are very clear," he continued, saying there was no announcement in advance of such meetings, which are private and confidential."

Yep, god forbid thinking people would be at this meeting. They might ask embarrassing questions, like which of the sacraments involves attacking children?

September 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • gerald

September 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
    • David Johnson

@gerald

You said, "Your a thinking person soundoff? Could have fooled me. The only reason you would want to be there is to flap your mouth rather than have conversation that really addresses the issues and is sensative to the nature of these crimes and the victims of them."

I would ask why they sent priests from one parish to another, knowing they were pedophiles.
      No one has ever offered a good explanation for this.

I would ask why the world should not believe, your church is not a network of pedophiles?

I find no good thing in your religion. I would sell your idols and take away your pope's pointy hat.

Even the Scientologists are more worthy of respect.

September 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm |