home
RSS
September 21st, 2010

Vatican Bank faces money-laundering probe

Rome, Italy (CNN) - Italian authorities are investigating the Vatican Bank over possible violations of money laundering regulations, the Bank of Italy told CNN Tuesday.

Another Italian bank alerted Bank of Italy investigators to two Vatican Bank transactions that did not appear to comply with anti-money laundering requirements, the Bank of Italy said.

When Bank of Italy investigators told legal authorities about the transactions, they were told that judicial authorities were already investigating the Vatican Bank, the Bank of Italy said.

The Vatican said Tuesday it is "perplexed and baffled" by the public prosecutor's actions, and the Holy See aims for "complete transparency" in its financial operations.

Read the full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Money & Faith

1. whatyousay

A phone conversation with God and the Pope

God-----Hey Ben what’s up

Pope----I’m getting some heat here

God-----What did you do this time?

Pope----It’s the bank again

God-----O, is that all, I thought it might be the priests giving it to some child again

Pope----No we still have that problem

God-----What about the Jew’s, are you still dealing with that problem? You know when the church helped the Nazis’s exterminate a few.

Pope----No, we still have that problem

God-----What about the crusades, how did that all work out?

Pope----Well, we managed to torture and burn thousands for reading the bible

God-----O yea, I always wondered why I wrote that book, no body seems to want to follow it

Pope----We did our best God

God-----So what do you want me to do?

Pope----Can you cause a earthquake or a hurricane someplace in this world so the media will turn their attention elsewhere

God-----You mean like what I did to New Orleans?

Pope----Well it might have to be a little more grandeur

Pope----God are you still there?

Pope----Hello hello

I’m sorry you have been disconnected, please try again later

Pope---- Ah S#!T

Pope----Hello Devil, I got a problem

December 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  2. QuestionMark

@Kate
    Thanks for sharing that, and lol, I will definitely stay away from pea's! I know its hard, believe me I feel for ya. I think the "mental" part (habit of grabbin,lol) is even worse then the physical addiction. One lady told me every mornin she got a pencil and doodled on paper. She said it worked for her. I tried it and found myself writing cuss words,lol, about how Frickin bad I really needed a ciggy. So much for that one. Wishin you lots of luck. Stick to your guns, at least your one up on me:)

September 22, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  3. QuestionMark

@ NL LMAO @ All the Tide in the world...! I agree!

@Kate
    CONGRATS! You quit smoking? Care to share your method..I am trying and have not been successful...should I buy some Lemonheads, lol?

The Vatican has all kind of dirty linen. They continue to hide thier child abuse under the Popes robes, and he allows it. He is as guilty as the criminals he supports. I am glad thier "sins", with all the spots and wrinkles, are finally coming to light. I wouldn't put nothing past this "most Holy" (cough cough) of churches.

September 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
    • Kate

@QuestionMark

I'm in the process, the habit to reach for one when I'm bored is hard to overcome yet though. As to how – transdermal patches right now – still seeing if they'll work enough, but a lot of it is sheer bloody willpower still.

Reaching for the lemonheads is the subst|tute for reaching for a ciggy ... Probably just as unhealthy for my weight, but unless I laugh readin' one of the comments here, there's a much reduced chance of toxic substances entering my lungs!

I am so not going to try eating peas instead of lemonheads, after that story of one guy who had a plant grow in his lungs when he inhaled!

Just crossin' fingers

September 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
    • Critter

@Kate

Then you'd better wear a filter mask around peace2all. That guy can toss "peace" around like nobody I've ever seen...You don't want to get "peace" stuck in your lungs, either. It might grow into a pacification, and then where would you be?

September 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Kate

@Critter

Ziiing!!! You got me 🙂

Just croakin'

September 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  4. Kate

Roberto Calvi, your murder by the Masons was not in vain!

Which probably is little comfort, admittedly, to the guy (atheists note I mean that in a general moment of his death sense)

I'm just wondering if they're going to cover this one up nearly as well this time, or are we going to hear that P2 did in fact re-establish itself as the head of this particular crooked piece of Vatican statesmanship after the last time.

Just historicalizin'

(Yes, I just made up an entirely new word. You try coming up with a tagline that fits this!)

September 22, 2010 at 9:33 am |
    • Frogist

Great vocabularizin' 😉

September 22, 2010 at 11:03 am |
    • Critter

@Frogist

LOL...I think you win.. 😛

September 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  5. gigi

I live in Rome and daily I have under my eyes the ostentation of wealth of the Roman Catholic Church. For instance, more than a quarter of the real estate in Rome (measured in units) is property of the Church, and is mostly characterized by large buildings and parks owned by the congregations. Other real estate is rented, and quite a few are four-five star hotels. Not to mention that the Church pays no taxes whatsoever, and owns hospitals, universities, cinemas, entire historic buildings, and of course banks, insurance companies, etc. If all this wealth were donated to the poor the Church would be consistent with Jesus' message. Now the Church is simply blasphemous.

September 22, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  6. QuestionMark

What will CatholicMom say??? HaHa!

September 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
    • Critter

She would only say that whatever they do, it is not the "Church" that is doing it.

inb4 CM!

September 22, 2010 at 12:15 am |
    • NL

Yeah, I keep telling here that her 'Church', the one without any blemish of stain, only exists in her mind. All the Tide in the world wouldn't make a dent in the kind of stains that mark the actual Church.

September 22, 2010 at 8:38 am |
    • Frogist

@Critter: I wouldn't put words in her mouth. I'm sure she has an explanation of her own. I think for now they are just accusations. When more comes out then maybe I'll feel better condemning them. But it makes me very uncomfortable that they have so much money to throw around. I guess I just thought servants of god were supposed to be humble and modest.

September 22, 2010 at 10:43 am |
    • Kate

@Frogist

It's the Vatican – they massacred the Templars simply to get their hands on the banking system the order had set up and get their hands on the treasure the Templars had at hand. They still haven't said how much of the gold that went missing at the end of World War Two went into their coffers in exchange for use of the ratlines they set up for Nazi's to escape to South America

The Vatican are the pinnacle of "Do as I say, not as I do". I've never seen a humble or poor Vatican priest.

Just gripin'

September 22, 2010 at 10:56 am |
    • Frogist

@Kate: I know, I know... That's what I mean. I see the hypocrisy in the way they are conducting themselves. I was just trying to be coy.

September 22, 2010 at 11:15 am |
    • Kate

@Frogist

Sorry, still trying to get my bearings again. it ain't easy bein' green! Well, ciggy-free at least.

Thank <insert name of deity or none here> for lemonheads!

Just munchin'

September 22, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  7. Smith in Oregon

John Paul 1 began threatening to blow the whistle on the Vatican Bank's enormous drug laundering operation, he was murdered shortly afterwards a mere 33 days in his tenure as a Pope. Shortly thereafter a Vatican banker was found hanging from a nearby bridge and over 200 Million dollars unaccounted for, now probe into the Vatican's Bank drug money laundering operation was made at that time even thou there appeared to be plenty of solid evidence for a very concentrated probe and criminal investigation to take place by Interpol and other anti-Mafia agency's in Italy.

September 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
    • NL

Do you have a link to a source for this, or did you have a sneak peek at Dan Brown's latest manuscript?

September 22, 2010 at 8:32 am |
    • Frogist

@NL: That was my reaction this too.

September 22, 2010 at 10:38 am |
    • Kate

@NL

Research "P2" and "Roberto Calvi" for more information regarding the previous Vatican bank scandal and the murder that went with it.

And FYI, court case notwithstanding, Dan Brown does have a habit of coming awfully close to precisely matching "Holy Blood and Holy Grail", a book that a lot of people should have read decades ago (as I did)

Just pointin'

September 22, 2010 at 10:45 am |
    • NL

Kate-
      I grew up Catholic and I harbor no illusions about the Vatican. It has, and will continue to do, whatever it thinks necessary in order to protect it's interests. Rather like that other Italian organization, the one that Mario Puzo wrote about, if you know what I'm talking about.

Still, one cannot simply accept every conspiracy theory linked to them on face value either. That whole "holy blood" thing assumes that there was a historical Jesus to begin with, while I'm not convinced.

September 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • Kate

@NL

To be honest, it doesn't matter if there was an actual historical individual named Jesus, who is in some way related to the creation of Christianity – what matters it the belief of the people who believe there was, and by extension any bloodline that would have been a result of a marriage that had to have occurred for that Jesus to be accepted in the social circles the Bible describes him interacting with.

If they believe they're guarding such a bloodline ... what would they do?

Dan Brown's novels and the movies are great red herrings to deflect the information and potential – I don't consider that a deliberate conspiracy act, but sure as hell the people with a vested interest in preserving the bloodlines will exploit it for all they can to help keep it quiet.

Or to preserve the illusion that an offshoot bloodline is the real one.

Just plottin'

September 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  8. Smith in Oregon

CNN's Rick Sanchez blog moderators have repeatedly deleted this topic and subject.

For the past several weeks I have repeatedly pointed out the Vatican Bank is in the center of a huge drug money laundering operation. And the moderators deleted those posts.

Now world's news agency's around the world are reporting a criminal probe into the Vatican Bank fingering the Vatican Bankers as being heavily involved in Money Laundering!

September 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • Reality

Smith in Oregon,

A better reason as to why your comments were deleted or put in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category:

The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".

More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.

September 21, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  9. Doc Vestibule

There can't be that much money involved here. Catholic priests take a vow of poverty! That's why The Pope's clothing is so humble and simple and the Vatican building itself is a simple, modest edifice bereft of ostentation.

September 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
    • Reality

Most Catholic priests do not take a vow of poverty. Only members of priestly orders like the Franciscans take such a vow. I am not a big fan of the Vatican but if you review their finances, they do run a tight "ship" with respect to money controls. What will sink the ship, however, will be the flaws in the history and theology of said ship.

September 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  10. Me

HAHA The icing on the cake!

September 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • Critter

LOL
      Now if only we had a good picture to go along with it...like that puckered picture of the Pope...LOL

September 22, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  11. HotAirAce

Maybe this will be like the FBI going after gangsters. They couldn't get them for actually committing violent crimes, but they were able to get them for tax evation... Eagerly awaiting the outcome of this, but also looking forward to the "spinning" by the rcc aplogists!

September 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
    • Critter

Gawd! How could you be looking forward to what THEY have to say? You might as well call for one of the Muslim "apologist" trolls we seem to get in here...(choking sounds)

September 22, 2010 at 12:17 am |
    • NL

Maybe it will be Mafia money, or even Nazi-related funds. I really can just see Dan Brown's gears turning at this.

September 22, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  12. David Johnson

This church would stink on ice.

September 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm |