home
RSS
September 24th, 2010

« Previous entry
  1. James

The attempt of the religionists to force their point of view down my throat has made me very bitter toward religions of all faiths. Out of one side of their mouths they talk to me about love, compassion, justice, and tolerance. Then out of the other side of their mouths they speak in ways that fully display the exact opposite. They say they want government out of their lives and then they try to legislate their religious views all over me. I'm sad to say that I can do no better than hate them back and I do hate them. I can decide what morality works for me and I for one do not hate my brother. They have by their own actions made themselves no brother of mine. In the name of God Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Hinduism (and there are many others) have committed unspeakable crimes against their fellow man. They should do us all a favor and go to hell… now.

March 18, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  2. Vanessa

HI NL
    Just for the record, like I said I would rather discuss other pleasant and wonderous things, but Jesus was the only one that died on the cross for my sins, and arose again 3 days later. No one else ever did that.

Lol, NL, I saw a LADY, very solid looking,too. She vanished before my eyes. That was NOT my imagination, no one will ever convince me of anything else. I saw what I saw.
    I know the bible seems to frown on ghost sightings. I am not sure I am in agreement..OUCH! I know, there are alot of scripture that says otherwise, But, again, my curiousity gets the best of me again.
    Why? Two reasons come fast to mind. One, we have a bible that has books left out. I was always taught thats because they were not important enough to be there in the first place. I don't agree with that.
    At the end of the Revelations, God said Whomever adds to or takes away from these words.. and that tells me its possible there are books missing, and some misinterpeted or rewritten (like the Catholics did) and probably others after that.
    Not to mention when some things were written, mayby some had words added that were not of God, but man. So, I wonder, would we be having some of the disagreements, arguments, etc we see happening, if some of the missing gaps were filled in?
    Lets take spirits. There is alot of mention in the bible of spirits Just because somebody tells me they cannot hang out after death, I am notsure I will believe it. I will keep searching the bible on this.
    Personally, I don't believe that as soon as you die, you are judged. A Catholic belief. that is.
    According to the bible, the dead sleep until the judgement day.(See, I think that means the physical body) I believe in the Great White Throne judgement, where all believers and unbelievers will stand before Jesus. That is the final judgement. There are 3 spoken of, and like everything else, there is disagreement between Christian people, in the order of how they occur. Again, it doesn't matter to me. What order that is.
    So, where are we between that? Either your soul goes to Paradise, presence of God, or it goes to Hades, a holding place outside of Hell. (There is no purgatory. That is another Catholic made place.)
    I am not sure if any souls (or spirits/ghosts) can roam till then. I am still looking around for that.

September 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
    • NL

Plenty of Jews died on Roman crosses, how does one particular Jew die for your sins? They're your sins, right? How can anyone else pay for what you've done? That's like some guy coming to you and claiming that his ancient ancestor freed your ancient ancestors from slavery, so now you owe him for that. Even if he could prove it, would you take his demands seriously?

You've convinced yourself that what you think you saw was a ghost. Someone else might have thought they saw a monster, or a burglar, or a fairy, or an angel, or something else. Your mind thought it saw something strange so it searched your memories and cultural norms and came up with an answer, "ghost."

You're right in that plenty of books were seriously considered for inclusion in the Bible before being voted out. Revelation nearly never made it owing to it's popularity with a certain heretic group and general whackyness. It reads like it was written by someone on an LSD trip, and a bad one at that. If you think other christians are weird now, you should see what it was like in the beginning. Check out the book The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew.

OK, your theory is we die and we are dead, for now, until some future judgment, right? So what was your ghost? An echo of someone who once lived? Can't be a soul, right? It's your system, think through an answer. Purgatory actually explains away ghosts pretty well, if you believe in afterlives.

September 27, 2010 at 1:00 am |
  3. Vanessa

@Just anAverage Atheist

Thanks my friend! I have it saved to a folder. Looking forward to speaking with you again. Stay Safe! :)

September 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  4. Just an Average Atheist

@Vanessa,

Ok, I reserved my webspace. There is nothing there yet but a default WordPress Install. http://www.YourAverageAtheist.com

but bookmark it, and give it 2-3 weeks, then check back. I have a lot of ideas for questions that I would like to involve both sides with.

Look forward to talking with you somewhere...

September 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  5. Vanessa

@NL
    NL

You said "But see NL, we really don't know, and what we don't know, we can't debate."

Think of it this way. God is a character in a book and you say that we really can't prove he doesn't exist. Does that mean that every character of literature could equally, really exist? Is that the logic you're living your life by? Frankly, I don't lose sleep wondering if Dracula is real, so why should I lose sleep over God?

Hi NL...To me Jesus (whom I believe is God..Trinity) was not a fictional character. There were records of the fact he did exist.
    To me thats no different then the signers of the C-o-n-s-t–i-t-ution, we never met them but we live under the laws of the land that they endorsed. As I said in a prior post, I really don't like discussing religous stuff, everyone has (and rightfully so) thier own belief system. They will believe as they choose based on the facts they deem beliveable.

I have a Uncle who does not believe at all in anything of a supernatural (for lack of a better word) nature, and he always teases me about my great imagination,lol.

To share a quick story. When I was a kid, mayby I was about 9 years old, we lived in this big house that had a staircase, (one of the kind that you see in older movies) you could slide down. It was visible from the Lr area.
    One night I was sitting on the sofa doing my homework. My mom and Grandma (Grandparents lived with us) were in the kitchen fixing dinner. My Grandfather was sitting in the chair across from me, reading the newspaper.
    I had to use the bathroom, and proceeded up the steps.
    When I got to the top of the steps, I saw a lady standing in my room (which was at the top of the stairs) and she vanished.Now you see it now you don't thing.
    I almost fell down the steps getting the crap out of there,lol...Screaming all the way down.
    Bottom line, after a check of the upstairs, to assure me no one was in the house that didn't belong there, I was told it was my imagination (Hence, my uncle) . I was also told there are no such things as ghosts.
    Well, that was fine and dandy, but it did not satisfy me, because I KNOW what I saw!

I guess thats why I am curious as to what these things are. Anyway, I will hope I shall never run into Dracula,lol!
    He always was one scary dude! I would loose some sleep if I knew he lurked,lol.

Anyway, It was nice talking with you and everyone else. Hopefully I will see you on the other boards here at Cnn! Take Care!

September 26, 2010 at 9:07 am |
    • NL

Vanessa-
      Jesus is a character in the New Testament, and there are sketchy external accounts of him as well. I say sketchy because they come to us through ancient texts that were copied and kept by christians with a vested interest in supplying external support for a historical Jesus. Sure, a preacher named Jesus may have been active at the time, but so were many others, some also claiming to be the messiah. Quite like The Life of Brian. An actual person named Jesus does not prove that he was the son of a god. Also, Vespasian is a known historical figure, and people also claim that he performed miracles.

Ghosts, like I said, are like UFOs and Bigfoot. Unless you've had a sighting they seem silly. Plenty of natural explanations may account for your imagining that you saw a figure. The bible actually seems to frown upon ghost sightings. Where do you see them fitting in if people are judged as soon as they die?

September 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  6. Vanessa

@Just an Average Atheist
    :) You made my day! I am glad we can be friends and agree to disagree, too. I would LOVE to come to your website if you do get one up. I'll be watching.
    LOL. I know, it probably does seem inconsistent. I guess God is something to me anyway, that speaks to my soul. Et don't, but I would love to know if he is out there. I would invite him to join us on Cnn,lol!
    I am letting my mind wander now, but, can you imagine if we actually did make contact? How cool would that be! I have always wondered at those ancient Inca grounds, how that all got there in an age when aircraft wasn't yet known to mankind.
    Ok, I am off an a tangent :) let me get myself moving on before I get carried away,lol.
    You take care now, and I hopefully will have the pleasure of talking with you again!

September 26, 2010 at 8:32 am |