home
RSS
October 2nd, 2010

GOP candidate in 1990s: Meatballs drew me to Christianity

Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell says she tried "every other kind of religion," including witchcraft and Buddhism but became a Christian because of her love of Italian food.

"I would have become a Hare Krishna, but I didn't want to become a vegetarian," O'Donnell said in an interview with Bill Maher in 1999. "And that is honestly the reason why, because I'm Italian and I love meatballs."

Read the full story on CNN's Political Ticker

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Delaware • Food • Politics

1. Super Dave

When meatballs hit ya eye,
    If ya love, Pizza pie,
    Vote O'Donnell!!!

October 15, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
  2. Joseph Egan II

I watched her debate. She was awful, and so was Wolfe Blitzer. He is a republican and was definitely the wrong person to mediate.His job was to mediate not assist her repeatedly. On his show his clips were even edited to her benefit. Go work at Fox. He and Gloria are another reason I often change the channel to MSNBC. If it weren't for Anderson Cooper and a few others I'd not be a viewer at all.And, I've been a constant viewer of CNN since day one, what's gone wrong here? Most of the time it seems like CNN/FOX

October 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  3. Chris

I think the average meatball has a higher IQ than she does.

October 14, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  4. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Of course meatballs draw folks to Christianity, and Roman Catholicism in particular. Ask anyone who attended Syracuse University in the 70s and 80 and got invited to one of Msgr. Borgognoni's Thursday Night spaghetti suppers! Guaranteed conversion by the second course. Far better than the Hillel Sunday Suppers, although the homemade hoummus was excellent ; )

On a more serious note, anyone who gives as weak as an excuse as that for her "return" to any religion does not strike me as a deep enough thinker to be able to deal with the problems facing Senators on a daily basis. Also, as a Christian, I truly wonder about her Christianity and its lack of concern for those in need. The Christ whose teachings I follow taught us that we should take care of those in need and turn no one away, not practice the exclusion that some believe is the true path.

October 13, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  5. bla

Ya know, I think the culdron put a MoJo on her back side! She figured in order to be in high office,you have to say your a christian, for sure!!!!. But I think she went christian in order to get this MOJO off her backside!!!

October 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  6. Dave Shabaz

Should masturbation be a subject for political discussion? Check out my latest blog. http://daveshabaz.blogspot.com

October 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  7. Iqbal khan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPhUY8kIBo&w=640&h=360]

October 9, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  8. Chappyricky

No one of sound mind would support Christine O Donnell at this point.
    What boggles my mind is the success of dumbing down Americas White middle class by Fox news and those Pompous-Radio-jocks.

October 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Frogist

OMG Best laugh I've had all day! I like tatziki... so I must be Greek Orthodox. Oh no but we ordered chicken tandoori the other day... I guess I'm hindu. Ridiculous!
    How her Christian followers can keep supporting her just blows my mind.

October 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm |
    • Peter F

I'm Christian and a democrat. Paradox? I don't think so... in fact, I hope this evangelical revolution spawns more of us DemoXians.

October 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • peace2all

@Frogist

Beautiful...!!!! LOL..!!

@Peter F

Wow..... Still livin' and learnin' something new everyday... and now I can add more to my understanding of Peter F..!

Peace...