home
RSS
October 4th, 2010

Vatican slams Berlusconi over anti-Semitic, sexist jokes

The Vatican's official newspaper strongly  criticized Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Sunday, calling it  "deplorable" that he tells blasphemous, anti-Semitic and sexist jokes.

The editorial came a day after the Italian Catholic bishops' newspaper  said Berlusconi needed to show more respect.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Holocaust • Italy

1. Keshaunb Chantryb

Thanks for your article. It is rather unfortunate that over the last 10 years, the travel industry has already been able to to handle terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, flu virus, swine flu, and the first ever entire global tough economy. Through it all the industry has proven to be powerful, resilient plus dynamic, obtaining new approaches to deal with adversity. There are always fresh problems and possibilities to which the sector must just as before adapt and behave.

July 28, 2012 at 2:21 am |
  2. Iqbal khan

Cost of War in Iraq & Afghanistan
    $1,096,573,151,587

October 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  3. JohnQuest

Frank, the Church in the U.S.A. should not have a say so, that is why they are tax exempt.

October 4, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • Frank

I don't think it's the Catholics you should be worrying about in that area, to be honest.

October 4, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Frank, your point is well taken.

October 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • Reality

Keep in mind that both the Democratic and Republican Parties are tax-exempt.

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  4. Frank

How exactly is the Vatican exhibiting a 12th century mentality by denouncing a politician for making juvenile s#xist, offensive and anti-Jewish 'jokes'?

October 4, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Frank consider the following, the church says nothing about the known adulterous activities of Prime Minister Berlusconi, pays only lip service to priest accused of child ra pe, but stands in firm opposition to a few jokes? I think they were stupid and insensitive but he is guilty of far worst and the church says and does nothing. In times past the church could have and would have had him removed.

October 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
    • Frank

"In times past the church could have and would have had him removed."
      So perhaps the Church should have more political power than it currently does?
      I do agree that there are things that the Church must repent over and humble Herself about. We are being tested. God is calling us to repentance.

October 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Frank the last thing I want is a return to the inquisitions, crusades, witch hunts and the like. If it were up to me the Church would have far less power than it currently have, not just the Catholic Church but all religious organization. Frank I do not think that believers like yourself are delusional, irrational, or (for lack of a better word) crazy. I think you believe the things you were taught to believe by those that love you very much (parents, family, friends, and such), although I don't believe it you have a right to believe whatever you want (I would proudly give my life to protect your right to believe) I just don't want religious people running my country, controlling my military, or passing laws that I have to obey. I don't think you would want to live under Taliban rule, I feel the same as you. I think if the Church had more power we would be back to han ging heretics.

October 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Reality

Frank,

And what is god's telephone number? It should be on your Caller ID.

October 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
    • Frank

I was just following the post to its logical conclusion. I do not think that the Church should have such power over state affairs, either, but I do think the Church should allowed to have it's opinion on those things.
      As for me, I joined the Catholic Church of my own volition through the RCIA process in when I was a teenager, which was just a few years ago. I chose the parish I would attend and everything. I wasn't really raised anything, really. My mother and I tried different churches but none of them worked for us so we just stopped trying all together. It was me who chose Catholicism.

October 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
    • Frank

Are you attempting to make a joke, Reality? Tsk tsk.

October 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  5. Frogist

Can't stand Berlusconi. He's always "trying to charm" women? I don't think he knows what the word "charm" means.

October 4, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  6. Frank

Yeah...those jokes were in bad taste.

October 4, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  7. JohnQuest

The Vatican can't get past the fact that it is no longer the 12th century.

October 4, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • peace2all

@JohnQuest

I am not sure as to your meaning about the.."Vatican can't get past the fact it is no longer the 12th century."

Please elaborate. As far as I can tell, they seem to be denouncing a politician who is making truly offensive comments.

Sincerely curious.....

Peace...

October 4, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
    • JohnQuest

12th Century Rome the Vatican control a very large part of Europe, no leader would dare to speak about something the church didn't like. A reproach from the Church back then actually meant something and came with consequences.

October 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • Frank

Are you suggesting that the Church doesn't have the right to speak on anything anymore? Of course the Church is going to speak on Italian social affairs; Italy is the seat of the Church and Italy is 90%+ Catholic!

October 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Frank, that is exactly what I am saying, the Church no longer has the moral authority to speak about any indiscretions until it pulls the splinter out of its own eye.

October 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  8. Reality

The Vatican has the audacity to judge others when the religion it represents is so full of hypocrisy?

October 4, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  9. Reality

The Vatican has the audacity to judge others when the religion it represents is so full of hypocricy?

October 4, 2010 at 11:10 am |
    • kjcube

SOCRATES: So we must investigate again from the beginning what piety is, as I shall not willingly give up before I learn this. Do not think me unworthy, but concentrate your attention and tell the truth. For you know it, if any man does, and I must not let you go, like Proteus, before you tell me. If you had no clear knowledge of piety and impiety you would never have ventured to prosecute your old father for murder on behalf of a servant. For fear of the gods you would have been afraid to take the risk lest you should not be acting rightly, and would have been ashamed before men, but now I know well that you believe you have clear knowledge of piety and impiety. So tell me, my good Euthyphro, and do not hide what you think it is.

October 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm |