home
RSS
October 11th, 2010

Coming out as HIV positive to church

Editor's Note: CNN's Soledad O'Brien files this report above.  Don't miss her report Almighty Debt: A Black in America Special premiering Thursday, October 21st 9pm ET on CNN.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Health care • Homosexuality

1. chicky pooh

I remember Mr.Gavin from being a director at the Teen Center when I was a teenager. He has always been HIGHLY intelligent, well spoken, and caring! I think that he would be a great voice and could teach people alot! I watched a close friend die from AIDS and it is something that needs to be spoken on more in our African American community. Keep speaking out and educating people. God Bless...

April 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Jordan B

It's refreshing to hear a positive story about coming out about your health condition. I’ve linked to this video in my blog post about “coming out” about chronic conditions: http://community.wegohealth.com/profiles/blogs/coming-out-about-your

March 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  3. Norma Bell

Cuz, I love you. I did not know,and now that I know, you are still the "cat's pajama's" to me. I need to hug you. I have prayed for you since the day we met, that will never stop. If you need me, you know where I am. $1.50.

October 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  4. Michael Morgenstern

Really, liked your article. Medwiser, an organization I work for does work that is relevant to what you write about. See for more information HIV AIDS Prevention Testing Donate

October 22, 2010 at 12:46 am |
  5. shannon

Gavin, I pray that God's healing power touches you and you will be whole and your testimony will touch others. In Jesus name, Amen

October 16, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  6. Frank

I know of one person at my parish with HIV. I've had a friend with HIV, too. It's not a big deal to me. It's just another thing to deal with in life.

October 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  7. ibelievelive

It's funny how HIV/AIDS still raises such a disheartening red flag to so many people today. Nobody would ever look at you strange if you openly admitted to have cancer or heart disease. You would think an AIDS patient had the black plague the way people scatter. HIV/AIDS is very real and very deadly but should no longer come with the ignorance that often surrounds it. As a church the only thing that should come with this type of admission from a fellow church goer is some hard core prayer. God Bless. http://www.ibelievelive.com

October 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  8. Raison

"Jay Gavin is HIV positive but he never told his African-American church. Until now."

Cue the dramatic music! Da-da-DUM!!!

He spoke to a building? I didn't know being HIV positive would make you do that....and how does a building become "African-American" anyway?
    I mean really people! Get rid of those damn racist labels already! "Black" my ass! Those people are various lovely shades of brown!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
    • Raison

oops! I should have included myself in that "shades of brown" bit.

sahreh