home
RSS
October 19th, 2010

Opinion: What Insha'Allah means to our world

Editor's note: Leah Ward Sears was the youngest person and first woman to be appointed as the chief justice of the Georgia Supreme Court, and she is the first African-American woman to be a chief justice of a state's highest court. She retired from the court last year after 17 years and became a partner at the Atlanta office of Schiff Hardin LLP, where she heads the national appellate practice team. She also is on the board of directors of the Institute for American Values.

By Leah Ward Sears, Special to CNN

Ninety-eight new e-mails? I always check my inbox at least once a day when I'm away from the office, and it's usually teeming with new entries. But this was ridiculous. Something was up.

Looking back, I was grateful to be halfway across the world from my Atlanta home in Muscat, the capital of the tiny country of Oman, when those e-mails came in. It gave me some time to digest the news that I was among the finalists to replace Justice John Paul Stevens, a man whose distinguished service on the U.S. Supreme Court began when I was in college contemplating a career in law.

I had been nervous when I first arrived in Oman, given that a sultan rules this Arab country where few women hold positions of power. But my audiences couldn't have been more attentive or gracious. I was there as a retired American judge, giving a series of lectures to students and dignitaries about values inherent in our way of life. I was discussing core values that many of us take for granted and that many of us have worked ceaselessly to achieve - justice, the rule of law, individual freedom, equal rights; values that we are extremely lucky to have in this country.

Read the full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Georgia • Islam • Opinion • United States

1. oem sofware

I do not even know with incredibly blog greatly that saved me. Thank you “Life is one grand, sweet song so start the music.” – Ronald Reagan

March 20, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  2. oem store

I do not even know with incredibly blog greatly that save me Thank you

March 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  3. Iqbal khan

Watch what he is saying

October 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  4. Muneef

Ø    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his
         level and beat you with experience.
    Ø    War does not determine who is right – only who is left.
    Ø    The early bird might get the worm, but the second
         mouse gets the cheese.
    Ø    Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the
         fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
    Ø    Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.

October 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  5. Reality

The real Islam:

For khan's eyes only:

Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

October 21, 2010 at 9:07 am |
    • Muneef

Well if you insist it's up to you and would not be surprised if any had shown you no mercy for what you say with out a minimum knowledge of what you are saying or who you are attacking...KKK ApeMan of false reality.
      Sura 01:98 to 99
      Sura 01:171
      Sura 01:193
      Sorry for your eyes and heart blindness.

October 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
    • Muneef

@Reality.

Islam is coming to you only if Muslims become as the should be and told in the Quran.
      A day would come to beg for Islam to come to you and save you from the filth you have created by your corrupted faiths and infidels in addition to financial tragedies. Just remember that you were told it would be within a decade or more from today..InSha'a Allah.

October 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
    • Reality

Poor, poor Muneef,

Still wallowing in his Three B Syndrome aka Bred, Born and Brainwashed in Islam!!!

October 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
    • Iqbal khan

In your case I can only reply with.......

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_1Ic4M4sQ&w=640&h=360]

October 21, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
    • Muneef

@Iqbal Khan.

You are right it is the right answer for some one who worship but to an Ape Man who does not believe in worship or God it will not be enough beside that I really do not care what his ideology is but what hurts is his misuse of words against Allah,Angels,Holy Books,Messengers,all Holy Religions beside Islam,Muslims and Prophet Muhammed in pariculer?
      The only way I see is to ignore his posts completely as not there and honestly I feel sorry for him rather than any thing else.
      Wala Hwlla Wala QwaAella BeAllah WaHwa AlSamea AlAlleem.

October 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
    • Muneef

@Raison.

Was that or wasn't useful and helpful from Iqbal Khan to post for me to see being heart of the subject?
      And that's what he does read all posts and send an answer in one for the majority of questions and allegations made on posts so how can that be not useful?

@Iqbal Khan.
      Forgot to thank you for the post and hope the concerned will watch it and try to less hurting people of faith with false allegations and missinformations.

October 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  6. Iqbal khan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMAAZnUjqk&w=640&h=360]

October 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  7. Iqbal khan

Want answers Listen and read Quran in many languages.....check

October 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  8. Muneef

Insha'Allah means to our Islamic world as by the will of God since every thing runs by the will of God and nothing can be done achieved with out the will of God and if you make search in the Quran for Sha'Allah you might find it in more than 59 time.
    Sura 86:15 to 16 says God does bring the things apposite to our wants if was not of his will.

October 19, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
    • Reality

Muneef, Muneef, Muneef,

Still quoting from the koran, your operating manual most of which was borrowed from the Egyptian and Babylonian prayers and codes, the OT, Torah, and the NT.

And of course your Three B Syndrome continues to ooze from all your pores but the salve of salvation is again offered free of charge in the form of the Five Step Method to Deprogram/"Deflaw" 1400 years of Islamic mumbo jumbo.

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
      alone."
      Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave attended to by his wives before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Follow these five steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 12:55 am |
    • Muneef

Hi reality how are you have missed you already.

October 20, 2010 at 2:35 am |
    • Reality

Muneef, Muneef, Muneef,

We hear you are promulgating the Five Step Method to Deprogram/"Deflaw" 1400 years of Islamic Mumbo Jumbo.
      to all your Muslim relatives and friends. Danke Schoen!!!

October 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  9. Frogist

"...one act of many that, when enmeshed, will begin to take hold." I think too many people forget the power of that one act. And we behave selfishly and with hatred that comes from ignorance, even here and think it doesn't really matter. It's time we consider our responsibility for what kind of mesh we are creating with our words and actions regardless of our religious label.

October 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • Raison

kettle, meet pot

October 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • Frogist

@Raison: Confused... could you explain?

October 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
    • Muneef

@Frogist.

Think it means right persons met that go on well with each other like soul mates! Nothing bad about is!

October 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
    • Muneef

Ha ha wonder though if she meant you and JohnQuest or Reality and me, having to post long texts? And that made me laugh.

October 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
    • Raison

@Frogist

Sorry, I kind of missed the "we" part. But it's a great post. I should have just gone with that instead. *sigh* Sorry again. -_-

October 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
    • Frogist

@Muneef: Yes, you and Reality seem to be on par with each other. I liked your response to his post.
      @Raison: Thanks!

October 20, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  10. Reality

What Allah and what Insha'Allah means to our world:

Islamic terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 97,172 – 106,047 Iraqi civilians killed, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and
    defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902 killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15) Followed by the daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings every day in the terror world of Islam.

Elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 97,172 – 106,047 Iraqi civilians killed as of 8/10/2010 mostly due the Shiite and Sunni suicide bombers.

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902 killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– Libya has become almost civil. Recently Libya agreed to pay $1.5 billion to the victims of their terrorist activities. Apparently this new reality from an Islamic country has upset OBL and his “cra-zies” as they have thre-atened Libya. OBL sure is a di-sgrace to the world especially the Moslem world!!! Or is he???

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– Bin La-d-en has been cornered under a rock in Western Pakistan since 9/11.

– Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols will follow soon.

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.

– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

– And of course the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

(Muslim scholar Ibn Abbas stated that it is in fact obligatory for a Muslim to say In šāʾ Allāh when referring to something he or she intends to do in the future. If carelessness leads to the omission of the phrase, it may be said at a later time upon the realization of the omission. This is stated in the Qur'an, in al-Kahf (The Cave) 18:23-24. And do not say, regarding anything, 'I am going to do that tomorrow,' Except (with the saying), "If Allah wills!" And remember your Lord when you forget and say: "It may be that my Lord guides me unto a nearer way of truth than this."

October 19, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • Muneef

A BEAUTIFUL PRAYER

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Islam

I asked Allah to take away my habit.
      Allah said, No.
      It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

I asked Allah to make my handicapped child whole.
      Allah said, No.
      His spirit is whole, his body is only temporary

I asked Allah to grant me patience.
      Allah said, No.
      Patience is a byproduct of tribulations;
      it isn't granted, it is learned.

I asked Allah to give me happiness.
      Allah said, No.
      I give you blessings; Happiness is up to you.

I asked Allah to spare me pain.
      Allah said, No.
      Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares
      and brings you closer to me.

I asked Allah to make my spirit grow.
      Allah said, No.
      You must grow on your own! ,
      but I will prune you to make you fruitful.
      I asked Allah for all things that I might enjoy life.
      Allah said, No.
      I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.

I ask Allah to help me LOVE others, as much as He loves me.
      Allah said...Ahhhh, finally you have the idea.

If you love Allah, send this to ten people and
      back to the person that sent it.

THIS DAY IS YOURS DON'T THROW IT AWAY

May Allah Bless You,
      "To the world you might be one person, but to one
      person you just might be the world"

For all the negative things we have to say to selves

Allah has a positive answer for it.

You say: "It's impossible"
      Allah says: All things are possible

You say: "I'm too tired"
      Allah says: I will give you rest

You say: "I can't go on"
      Allah says: My grace is sufficient

You say: "I can't figure things out"
      Allah says: I will direct your steps

You say: "I can't do it"
      Allah says: You can do all things

You say: "I'm not able"
      Allah says: I am able

You say: "It's not worth it"
      Allah says: It will be worth it

You say: "I can't forgive myself"
      Allah says: I FORGIVE YOU

You say: "I can't manage"
      Allah says: I will supply all your needs

You say: "I'm afraid"
      Allah says: I have not given you a spirit of fear

You say: "I'm always worried and frustrated"
      Allah says: Cast all your cares on ME

You say: "I don't have enough faith"
      Allah says: I've given everyone a measure of faith

You say: "I'm not smart enough"
      Allah says: I give you wisdom

You say: "I feel all alone"
      Allah says: I will never leave you or forsake you

You say: "Nobody really loves me"
      Allah says: I love you

May Allah Be Pleased With all muslims Ameen.

I love each and every muslim for the Pleasure of Allah !"It is in rememberance of Allah that the heart finds peace"

Fee Aman Allah

October 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
    • Megatron

Another excellent prayer.

The reason it's so great is that it tries to cover up the absence of a God by saying "I give you this, but how you use it..."

ROFL.

October 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  11. JohnQuest

If looks were enough for a Supreme Court appointment she would have beat Kagan hands down.

October 19, 2010 at 11:42 am |
    • Frogist

LOL@JohnQuest: By those standards, will you be voting for the Palin for President? 😉

October 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  12. Raison

"If it is God's will" is just being fatalistic. No delusional belief system needed. If one accepts only the things that actually happen, then tolerance of other people's delusions should follow by default.
    I tolerate other people's delusions, since there is little enough choice about that sort of thing. But what about those religious beliefs that insist, most strongly, upon intolerance of what is not allowed by the religion in question?

What is intolerance but the unreasonable extension of one's principles in such a case? Yet to stand for one's principles is considered a form of personal integrity and, where religion is concerned, an expression of devotion to those beliefs.

I think I would have preferred you over Kagan, myself, but no one ever asked me, and I have not reviewed your file in any case... 😀

October 19, 2010 at 11:02 am |
    • Richard

Raison-
      "What will be will be" is fatalistic, "If it is God's will" is trust.

According to the article's author, the Omani minister of cultural and religious affairs picked up on her "internal turbulence" (turmoil, disquietness), and was basically encouraging her to trust God – hope in Him – for what will happen instead of trying to figure it out and take control of something over which she has no control.

The difference between fatalism and faith in Christ is hope – the latter has it, the former does not. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

October 19, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
    • Raison

@Richard

Yet both of them call for a lack of action, a withdrawal of trying to influence events – a throwing up of one's hands in seeing any hope of effective personal action and relying upon "God" or "Fate" to "let the chips fall where they may."
      I define such as fatalism, and am supported by the definition at dictionary.com:
      Fatalism –noun
      1. the acceptance of all things and events as inevitable; submission to fate.
      2. Philosophy. the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination.
      I would submit that "inevitable predetermination" or "fate" can be replaced by "God's holy will" and not change the definition in the slightest.

But I understand that you didn't address the rest of my points, and can only wonder what you thought of them in terms of "interfaith relations" and such forms of religious extremism as are commonly found among most religions.....??

October 19, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
    • Richard

Raison-
      “So you are saying that simply adding "God" into the equation, it changes trust in fate to trust in God? “

With all due respect “adding God into the equation” better change it, or the God to Whom we are referring is some other god and should not be trusted, right? Let me clarify my original reply to you:

“What will be will be” is a statement of trusting in fate. “If it is God’s will” is a statement of trusting in God. Here is the basis for my comment: “Fate” is “the power or agency” [impersonal, not able to be known, incapable of relationship] “which, according to popular belief, predetermines all events from eternity” (SOED, 6th edition) and “God” is the one, true and living God [personal, able to be known, capable of relationship] of the Bible Who, from all of eternity, has foreordained everything that happens according to the purpose of His will (The Holy Bible). Trusting in Fate leaves no hope because it is without God. A person trusting, relying upon, God has hope. That is what I was saying.

“Yet both of them call for a lack of action, a withdrawal of trying to influence events…”

Whether a person trusts or relies upon “God” or “Fate” the trusting still requires action. True faith/trust/belief is to trust the claims to be true and then acting on that faith/trust/belief. Belief and behaviour go together. For example, I can have an illness that requires antibiotic treatment and believe that the medicine given to me will make me better, but until I act on that belief and actually accept and receive the provided medicine into my body the illness still remains. Put it another way: take a man walking above a waterfall on a tightrope while pushing a wheel barrow full of rocks. A crowd looks on as the man crosses back and forth a couple of times. The man (or woman, for that matter) asks the crowd if they believe that he can go across and come back again. Numerous people say yes. He dumps the rocks out of the wheel barrow and invites one of the crowd to get in and go across with him…who truly believes then? Trusting involves the mind, emotions and the will. (Please note the trusting is not what cures or secures in the above illustrations, it is only the mechanism by which the cure or security is realized.)

As for your other comments (tolerance, intolerance, etc.) let me preface by acknowledging that, ultimately, it doesn’t matter what I think, but only what God thinks. So if you truly want to have a sincere, open-minded discussion about peace among human beings my starting place would be the Bible where God’s Word says it starts by having a peaceful relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.

October 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm |