home
RSS
Dalai Lama: Larger than life, profoundly human
October 21st, 2010

Dalai Lama: Larger than life, profoundly human

I try to make it a practice not to name drop, but on Monday I spent a half-hour talking to the Dalai Lama.

It wasn’t exactly a private affair - 2,000 people more or less were in the audience listening, but one of the remarkable things about big meetings with the Dalai Lama is that once you start talking with him you get this eerie feeling that he and his translator are the only people in the auditorium.

Why are so many of us profoundly moved in his presence?

Well, first off, one of his most often used titles is “kundun” which in Tibetan simply means “presence." So that’s the first thing.

But on a more down-to-earth level, I think all of our expectations are scrambled when we run into one of the most famous people in the world who says whatever he pleases and acts however he wants.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Buddhism • Culture & Science • Leaders

1. Raison

OMFG! 😯

I am not the author of this piece, am not Dr. Charles Raison, and only chose the name out of my interest in REASON.
    ZOMG!
    I will be changing my moniker immediately. While I like the article, I do not wish for any confusion. Picking good names for blogging is such a pain in the ass! DAMNITALL!

My apologies to anyone who was confused about my name. My last name is completely different. I hope no damage has been done to Dr.Raison on my account, for I did not even know he existed.
    My jaw just dropped when I saw the by-line on the article. Just dropped and rolled out the door. I will be shaking my head all day over this. I am shaking it now.
    What a mess.

October 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
    • Frank

I doubt anyone noticed. Stop attention wh0rin'. 😛

October 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
    • Sum Dude (aka Raison)

@Frank
      I'm not attention whorin', the man works here. He deserves some consideration. And I'll bet someone somewhere tried to make the connection between us.
      When I'm a wh0re, you may start looking for Jesus, as the end days will have come upon you at that time. 😛

October 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
    • Sweet Gender Switch Potato Fry From Transs[e]xual Transylvania

Ah, I see you're an austere celibate. Are you typing from a monastery?!

October 22, 2010 at 5:53 am |
    • Sum Dude

@Frank -the guy with the big label 😀
      lol – I am typing from my computer. My sex life is none of your potatoed business, small fry.
      Your impertinence towards my aged self is like the sound of one potato fapping...! 😀

October 24, 2010 at 3:42 am |
  2. Frank

I heard that he supports Benjamin Creme's Maitreya craziness. Nevermind that he's an apologist for Tibet's brutal fiefdom.
    Hey, I think that Tibetan Buddhists should be left alone by the Chinese but Westerners have a real love affair with Eastern thought that is based on a romanticised image, not really the truth of things.

October 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  3. Reality

"It is true that many exponents of Buddhism, most notably the Dalai Lama, have been remarkably willing to enrich (and even constrain) their view of the world through dialogue with modern science. But the fact that the Dalai Lama regularly meets with Western scientists to discuss the nature of the mind does not mean that Buddhism, or Tibetan Buddhism, or even the Dalai Lama’s own lineage, is uncontaminated by religious dogmatism.

Indeed, there are ideas within Buddhism that are so incredible as to render the dogma of the vir-gin birth plausible by comparison. No one is served by a mode of discourse that treats such pre-literate notions as integral to our evolving dis-course about the nature of the human mind. Among Western Buddhists, there are college-educated men and women who apparently believe that Guru Rinpoche was actually born from a lotus. This is not the spiritual breakthrough that civilization has been waiting for these many centuries.
    "

October 21, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  4. john g

no hate no jugement ever just enlightenment ! eye see you!

October 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  5. Peace2All

Whether or not any of the history of reincarnation is irrelevant to me about this man, and his teachings.

This man seems to be a Man of Peace. He does 'not' spread a bunch of dogma, or hate, or talk about you are going to 'burn forever in hell' if you don't believe his word.

He may not be perfect, but I find he and his philosophies of how to live a better life and make the world a better place... while here.. 'now' quite enlivening and refreshing.

He talks of Love, Compassion, Peace...

October 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Peace2All
      I liked the sound of that report that the Dalai Lama liked. It sounds like progress. Good progress. Peace.

October 22, 2010 at 12:19 am |