home
RSS
October 26th, 2010

Johnny Cash to be inducted into gospel music hall of fame

Johnny Cash at a National Medal of Arts ceremony in 2002 with President Bush and first lady Laura Bush.

The late Johnny Cash, who made more than a dozen gospel albums, will headline the list of 2011 inductees into the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame in January.

Also set to be inducted are Christian rock group DeGarmo & Key, the Golden Gate Quartet and disc jockey Bill "Hoss" Allen.

In 1954, Cash auditioned for Sam Phillips at Sun Records as a gospel singer, according to his official website. Phillips "immediately nixed that idea," the website said, and made Cash a country singer.

Cash, who died in 2003, is also in the rock and roll hall of fame and the country music hall.

DeGarmo & Key was one of the first popular Christian rock groups. Formed in 1978 by Eddie DeGarmo and the late Dana Key, they recorded 17 albums and received seven Grammy nominations and 17 Dove nods. They were also the first Christian music group to have a video on MTV. Key died from a ruptured blood clot in June. DeGarmo is president of EMI CMG Publishing.

According to the Vocal Group Hall of Fame website, the Golden Gate Quartet was the most popular Jubilee group. "Their harmonies became very sophisticated, laced with a heavy dose of jazz and a Mills Brothers influence right down to their vocal imitation of instruments," the website said.

Allen, known on air as the "Hossman", was a disc jockey for more than 45 years. His most influential years were at WLAC-AM in Nashville. For many years he hosted "Early Morning Gospel Time With the Hossman," according to a biography provided by the GMA hall of fame. He retired in 1993 and died four years later.

The hall of fame induction ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. on January 24 in Hendersonville, Tennessee at the Trinity Music City Auditorium.

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Christianity • Culture & Science • Music

1. omincelodia

you must read new coach handbags with confident new coach purses , for special offer

February 7, 2012 at 5:27 am |
  2. Observer

@Hot Air Ace
    HotAirAce

You wish for no attacks on religion. I wish for no religion. The number of comments I make against religion is tiny, almost insignificant, compared to the number of times I must be tolerant of the stupidity of religion. Trust me, I've shown great restraint, but sincerely believe that religion, *all* religion, needs to be challenged at every opportunity, so I will comment as I like without worrying for a second about the feelings of silly believers.

How very respectful of you! Is that your morals in operation? "Silly Believers". You sure give "silly believers" alot of attention. Is something they are, do or have, shining a light into your darkness? Making you leave snide comments about them?
    If you wish religion would go away, why do you post under "religous" articles?
    This is article is about Johnny Cash. Its about his being inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
    Not about "What do Athiests believe Johnny Cash could have done regarding religious beliefs?"
    It has the word "gospel" in it, but it is not about that. It is about his accomplishments and now he is being honored.

You wish religon would go away, I wish you Athiest would stop harping on Christians. You are right and comfortable with no God, so let them alone. They are ent–it-led to thier beliefs as you are.

If this were an article about healthy eating, you would still somehow drag religion into it. Give it a break, please!

October 31, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  3. MusicLover

Wouldn't it be nice if we had one blog news issue that did NOT include comments by athiests with thier religon attack? For people that are morally "together", they seem to have an obsession! Can you not enjoy life without the religious attacks? Geesh!

October 28, 2010 at 8:00 am |
    • HotAirAce

October 30, 2010 at 12:33 am |
    • honestanon

Excerpt from
      A Secular Humanist Declaration
      The Council for Democratic and Secular Humanism

1. Free Inquiry

(the "What")

The first principle of democratic secular humanism is its commitment to free inquiry. We oppose any tyranny over the mind of man, any efforts by ecclesiastical, political, ideological, or social inst-itutions to shackle free thought. In the past, such tyrannies have been directed by churches and states attempting to enforce the edicts of religious bigots. In the long struggle in the history of ideas, established insti-tutions, both public and private, have attempted to censor inquiry, to impose orthodoxy on beliefs and values, and to excommunicate heretics and extirpate unbelievers. Today, the struggle for free inquiry has assumed new forms. Sectarian ideologies have become the new theologies that use political parties and governments in their mission to crush dissident opinion. Free inquiry entails recognition of civil liberties as integral to its pursuit, that is, a free press, freedom of communication, the right to organize opposition parties and to join voluntary as-sociations, and freedom to cultivate and publish the fruits of scientific, philosophical, artistic, literary, moral and religious freedom.

(the "How")

Free inquiry requires that we tolerate diversity of opinion and that we respect the right of individuals to express their beliefs, however unpopular they may be, without social or legal prohibition or fear of sanctions. Though we may tolerate contrasting points of view, this does not mean that they are immune to critical scrutiny. The guiding premise of those who believe in free inquiry is that truth is more likely to be discovered if the opportunity exists for the free exchange of opposing opinions; the process of interchange is frequently as important as the result. This applies not only to science and to everyday life, but to politics, economics, morality, and religion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, how you express, share, or otherwise postulate your belief is as important as what you're trying to convey. Key concepts of "respect, toleration, and free exchange" should not be ignored, even in forums as simple as these blogs. So try to be nice, or at least civil.

October 31, 2010 at 3:13 am |
  4. Grahame Edwards

What took them so long? By the way, John is also in the Songwriters Hall Of Fame and the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame.

October 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  5. CatholicMom

My Dad introduced me to Johnny Cash! Yes, Dad had taken me to the ‘big city’, the first trip there that I can remember. We were in a small café about to eat when my Dad tossed me a coin and told me to go find Johnny Cash and ‘I Walk the Line' on the jutebox. That might not have been my first trip to the big city but I think it was the first time I fell in love.

October 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  6. Carla

Oh Man, I loved Johnny Cash, his music was fabulous! He was a great entertainer. I admire the man in the highest. We miss you Johnny!!

October 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  7. Frank

Congratulations to the late Mr. Cash! RIP, we miss you, Johnny.

October 27, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  8. honestanon

Just in case there's a person on the planet that hasn't seen this...

The man and his music are timeless.

October 27, 2010 at 12:04 am |
    • HotAirAce

I have always like his music.

Too bad he couldn't stay clear of religion. But given other aspects of his life, religion might be the lessor of other evils. And I say this with great respect 'cause he did have to wrestle with a few "demons."

October 27, 2010 at 12:11 am |
    • Jinx

@hotair, congrats for the first anti-christian comment on this article! It only took you 12 hours, how 'bout that? You must be very proud.

October 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Jinx

I'm sure you implied a ton of sarcasm, and didn't really expect an aswer, but...

Not proud, not embarassed, just a statement of my opinion. You know what you can do if you don't like it.

October 27, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Further @Jinx

In re-reading my post, I noticed that I did not single out christianity – I spoke about religion. Maybe it is true that christians are the most arrogant of believers. Sorry, but my comment was not aimed specifically at christians and your brand of tribal myths is not special.

October 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm |