home
RSS
Meditation: Focus on now
October 26th, 2010

Meditation: Focus on now

Everyone has busy, stressful days and feels distracted by a multitude of tasks and obligations. Many people find stress reduction, as well as physical benefits,  in meditation, as found in an ongoing study.

Here's the low-down on what meditation is and how to get started.

What is meditation?

Meditation is training in concentration, mindfulness and compassion, says Sharon Salzberg, a meditation teacher and author who co-founded the prominent Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts. It is not merely relaxing, but rather training the mind in specific skills.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Meditation

1. David Johnson

Hmmm...The chick in the picture would be hot, if she could just take off 20 lbs. or so...

October 27, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  2. Frank

Someone should revive the Mayan form of meditation: Hanging by the flesh of your back from a tree while your blood 'feds' the gods. Fun, fun.
    (Yes, I know suspension is widely practiced.)

October 27, 2010 at 4:23 am |
    • Frank

*'feeds'

October 27, 2010 at 4:29 am |
  3. Reality

meditate

v.tr.
    1.To reflect on; contemplate.
    2.To plan in the mind; intend: meditated a visit to her daughter.

v.intr..
    a. Yoga, Rosaries, Prayer Beads/Books , Falling Leaves, Spring Flowers, Falling Snow, Sleeping, Songs about Beer, Drinking Beer et al used:

To train, calm, or empty the mind, often by achieving an altered state, as by focusing on a single object.

b.To engage in devotional contemplation

2.To think or reflect, especially in a calm and deliberate manner.

October 26, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  4. Sum Dude

I wonder if it's easier to meditate if you have washed your face and wear a ponytail like the girls in the picture.

Could they meditate if someone were disturbing them? Or if they had any distractions? Who can afford going to a "special retreat" where you get mud baths, massage, pore cleansers, aromatherapy, and a handy guru to smile as he / she takes your money and tells you how to relax and empty your mind as you empty your purse / wallet?

I think we need screaming Samurai warriors to run at these people as they try to "meditate". It would be fun to watch. 😀

October 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm |

October 26, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Peter F

😀

October 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • Dani3l

Yes, an accomplished meditator can ignore distractions.

Meditation is about the mind, not the body.

October 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Dani3l

You said, "No, one need not wash one's face or wear a ponytail. Some of the most accomplished meditators in the world wear their hair uncombed in dreadlocks and cover their skin in ashes."

Yeah, but then she wouldn't be hot and I couldn't "meditate" over her picture.

God's Speed my friend!

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  5. David Johnson

I would caution anyone who might meditate. I think it might open your mind to evil spirits. Satan is always waiting to enter our minds and cause a mischief.

Sometimes, you are given a mantra to chant. This is very dangerous! That mantra might mean something bad in an ancient language.

Be careful my brothers! Jesus is always watching us. Even when we are on the toilet!

October 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • ChristIsComing

I've read several of your posts today, and still trying to figure out where you stand. One post you seem to be claiming your jewish, then another catholic, and yet another either athiest or agnostic, I'm not sure which. Or are you just stirring the coals?

October 26, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
    • David Johnson

@ChristIsComing

Did you ever hear of Sybil? She had multiple personalities.

I also suffer from this ailment. So you are right! I am an Orthodox Jew complete with earlocks, A devout Catholic, An agnostic searching for a god, and an evil atheist. These different characters materialize, as alcohol is consumed. I do not "stir the coals". I question ideas and concepts that I find no value in.

God's Speed My brother!

Yes, I am a Jewish Catholic on my mothers side. An agnostic atheist on my fathers.

October 27, 2010 at 10:33 am |