home
RSS
Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral
December 9th, 2010

Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral

Editor's Note: This report comes from the CNN Political Ticker.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church announced Thursday plans to picket Saturday's funeral for Elizabeth Edwards in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The Kansas-based Church – monitored by anti-hate groups such as the Anti-Defamation league and the Southern Poverty Law Center – is known for its extremist opposition to homosexuals, Jews and other groups.

The church members also oppose the War in Iraq.

According to the church's website, members will hold a protest from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Edwards, the estranged wife of presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a six-year battle with breast cancer.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Church and state • Gay rights • Homosexuality • North Carolina • Politics • United States

1. kim

People like this should have there loved one funnerals disturb just so they know how it feels to have rude people interupt a very sad and painful time.

December 9, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  2. Sue Zimmerman

Oh gosh yes...this would even be lower that anyone could go.....

It seems that this group in trying to get all the publicity that they can....without having to pay for any of it....which was why I suggested that the MEDIA totally ignore it....however, we need to stick together to eliminate "groups" like this....
    Perhaps, at some point, we may all need to come together....make a circlein front of the "protestors"...and just keep stepping a few steps back...and a more few steps back....etc....get it?

and this is totally inspired by my heroes...Martin Luther King, Jr...Mahatma Gandhi...and others....

December 9, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
  3. Ellen

The Democracy we live in allows this sort of abuse to private citizens unfortunately. But this is precisely why I abhor organized religion. There are many good people in church populations, but the zealots who think they know how we should all live our lives are the worst, most evil, scourge of religion. They are NOT good people, they do not follow the tenets of their own beliefs, and they should deeply, deeply ashamed of themselves. IF there IS a God, I am sure she would by sickened by this use of her name. No one's funeral should be disturbed by this level of egotistical insanity.

December 9, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  4. Sue Zimmerman

This ignorant population (I think they call themselves something Baptist "CHURCH"...
    First of all....I know there are intelligent free-thinking "Baptists" out there, who abhor this....although I have much difficulty in understanding why they choose to remain Baptist...I’m assuming it must have something to do with “Tradition”... [Yes, I’ve seen the live performance of “Fiddler on the Roof” more than once....
    I left the Baptist church 40 years ago, mainly because it was TOO exclusive...my fiancé, at the time, could not join in Communion, since he had not been baptized by “immersion”...and, indeed, if he were to become a part of this congregation, he would need to be baptized in this manner...both of these “requirements” were totally offensive to me...and seemed to have nothing to do with my spiritual faith...
    I want the media to TOTALLY ignore this group....and I want the Federal authorities (in the “hate crimes” division) to give them total attention...
    They obviously ARE a HATE GROUP....indeed, NOT a “church”....they should NOT be given a tax-free status....AND, they should, indeed, be investigated for “hate crimes”...
    and my reason for this response....they are planning to picket the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards....really...how LOW can you possible go....??????

December 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  5. cj

Nothing but fools. All of them is going to HELL where they belong. Sooooooooooooooooo stupid.

December 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  6. Embarassed Baptist

I am an American Baptist and I am embarassed to be lumped in and associated with this group of "Baptists". They need to go back and study the teachings of Jesus. This was not what Jesus was about. He was about love of all people. They have the right of free speech which I support, but I don't like how they are exercising that right by using the name of a Baptist church when identifying their group. This is a very small, confused and extreme group that does not represent all Baptists or what Christianity is about.

December 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
    • Sue Zimmerman

yes!...I so understand...this is what my comment was about...

December 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  7. tet1953

I really believe it is only a matter of time before someone does a drive-by on these people. If it were my kin's funeral, I would consider it myself, seriously.

December 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
    • Sue Zimmerman

please, love...while I understand your sentiment....you can't fight hate with hate....

December 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  8. James

I consider myself a huge supporter of free speech, but man, these things are hard to reconcile sometimes. I try to put myself in their shoes, possibly protesting something meaningful, but whenever I see their signs and hear their rhetoric, I am appalled. Sure, let them protest.. but look the other way when I spit in their face.

December 9, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  9. Ned Bare

This bunch of whackjobs threatend to come to the funerals of the coal miners that died in the explosion in April in West Virginia but did not. I think they realized that it would have been their last protest.

December 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  10. JM

This group was at a family member of mine's funeral. My relative was killed in Iraq and this group thought it necessary to be there. It made the most difficult funeral I've ever attended 10x worse because their mere presence decreased the importance of the day. We were there to morn our relative who was murdered in Iraq and the disrespect shown by this group was disgusting. I am proud to be of a military family. Do they not realize that without our military they would not be able to convey the messages they do in the manner that they choose? The disrespect shown by this group is unbelievable; Mrs. Edward's family deserves the right to morn their incredible loss in peace, and we should all respect that.

December 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
    • Sue Zimmerman

Oh yes...I so understand.... I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one....and also the fact that these hate-mongers interfered with your final good-byes...this should NOT be allowed....and I am on a journey to do whatever I can to stop this abuse......

December 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
    • Evangeline

Although I get your meaning, no one could ever diminish the importance of that day for your family.

December 10, 2010 at 2:26 am |
  11. Karen

Fred Phelps and his inbred family are tangible proof that evil is very real in our world. I was present at a church that was picketed by this group of non-humans, so I can attest to the fact that they are indeed both crazy and evil. True evil, such as the Phelps group, should never be tolerated or forgiven. I believe that my creator will punish them harshly.

December 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
    • Justin Lowry

Repent because the axe will be laid to the root and neither root nor branch will be spared from the fire and worm Isaiah 66

December 9, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
    • Surenoprob

You are right, Justin–these "Christians" will be eaten by their worm for an eternity.

Christ states in Matthew 6:15): “But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

If these self-proclaimed Christians really do believe in His word, they already KNOW they're going to hell.

So they see nothing wrong with continuing to commit so many Satanic acts, since they are already condemned to be eaten by the worm for ETERNITY.

December 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  12. Dwayne Bolt

These people are religious extremists. The worrisome; if not scary part is, will they become jihadist?

December 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
    • Justin Lowry

Vengence is mine sayeth the LORD.
      Preach the Word (Doctine) Be instant in season and out of season
      Rebuke with all authority
      For the Holy One is with me.

December 9, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
    • Surenoprob

jfkdjfwoei

December 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
  13. Whatzaname

Several small towns have effectively thwarted the church's efforts to torment grieving families by having large crowds arrive long before Westboro to take the parking and to form a perimeter, with large cloths to block the view by the family of the tormentors. From what I understand, the tormentors left before the funeral even ended, having been completely unable to achieve their aims. In this case, don't you suppose if someone with Secret Service protection were to be at that funeral it would be pretty easy to prevent close access anyway?

December 9, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
  14. Michael

Did anyone read the article a few weeks ago about a town that basically blocked the protesters from this church from getting anywhere near the funeral? Lets hope her home town will do the same! In case you didn't see the article I am referring too, the town of a fallen soldier showed up earlier than the protesters to take up most of the parking spots anywhere nearby and made a human blockade around the whole area 🙂

December 9, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  15. god here

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church Here me.I am god and i command you to all jump off the nearest bridge wit 2 bricks on your neck.You have failed me.You will burn in hell.

December 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
    • Justin Lowry

you are of your father the devil you will go to the place where your worm will not die and
      your fire will not be quenched. Isaiah 66
      Boanerges (Son of Thunder) [James and John]

December 9, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
    • Surenoprob

lsdjklkdfs

December 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  16. casoepia

by giving these people recognition and news they are getting the exact reaction they want. We as Americans have the right to protest and express our opinions freely, and for the rest who dont agree you dont have to listen or acknowledge it. These extremist are no different than extremists anywhere else. By lowering ourselves to their level and calling them names and threatening them we are showing that we can't behave any differently. Its sad that they would use another families grief to push their issues, but they still have that right.

December 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  17. gretelb

I'm reading the comments and wondering what rock some of you people live under. The group calling itself the Westboro Baptist Church has been doing this for a number of years, usually at funerals of soldiers. This is nothing new. I am expecting the Patriot Guard and many other people who stand against these cowards will be there en masse. God Bless America. Yes, we have freedom of speech, but with that freedom comes respect and responsibility for that freedom, none of which the Westboro Baptist Church practices. Like this woman didn't go through enough in life with all the pain her pretty boy w**re mongering husband heaped on her, but even in death she is not given peace. These people are evil guised in the cloak of religion.

December 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  18. 2True

I wholeheartedly agree that these "people" are absolutely wrong in their beliefs, but do you feel as strongly about them when they protest at the funerals of our fallen military heroes? I feel for Elizabeth's family, but she in no way compares to those who have sacrificed their lives for this country and then end up getting picketed by these idiots.

December 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  19. Danks

I cant wait for one of these POS to die we re going to protest and reac all kinds of havoc at their funnerals ha ha

December 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
    • Justin Lowry

the Lord holds you in derision Psalm 7.
      He puts you in slippery places
      Await your eternity.

December 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
    • Surenoprob

oiuweriou

December 10, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
  20. Ralphie

One of CNN's editors is a member of the Westboro Baptist "Church".

What other explanation could there be for the attention that CNN lavishes on this tiny bunch of hatemongers. All they do is announce they'll be at the funeral and CNN makes it a front page story?

December 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm |