home
RSS
December 17th, 2010

Toledo man sees Christ, Virgin Mary in Christmas candy

Editors note: From CNN Affiliate WUPW reporter Kevin Milliken.

It seems to happen every few months: someone sees an image of Christ - in everything from French toast to a grilled-cheese sandwich.

Now just a few days before Christmas, a West Toledo semi-retired man thinks he's found the Virgin Mary and Baby Jesus in a piece of hard holiday candy.

The piece of hard tack nearly gave James Burrows a heart attack. The 63-year old immediately saw the image of Christ in the Christmas candy, along with the Virgin Mary.

Read the full story
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. PAGANGRL69

Perfect example of another Delusional Religious Nut-Job!!!...LMAO...lololololol

December 20, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  2. Debbie

This is known as pareidolia. It's the same thing as seeing the "man in the moon" or meaningful shapes in clouds. What we see when our brain fills in the visual (or audio) gaps is greatly dictated by our history, beliefs and upbringing.

December 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  3. Hope

I'm sure that satan loves the articles like this one! It's this kind of image of God he loves to present to the world!

Poor gullible souls, yes, you also, who grab hold of silly claims like this one, as if it were the proof of how stupid it is to believe in God! ... But you don't see the true source of those "sightings", so you are right there in the same category with those who foolishly believe them !

Yet, we who know our God, we recognize the origins of those cheap tricks, because we KNOW His Nature and His character , and that He does NOT resort to beggarly elements like those in this pathetic story!

Becuse He said that those who are truly His know Him and what is of Him, and they will not be lead away with foolish claims which the world can not tell l the difference between real and genuine, and what is fo the imposter... So, you see, There lies the difference!

December 20, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  4. TheRationale

And they expect to be taken seriously...

December 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  5. Lulis Leal

I see a unicorn and a duck. It's called projection, people. You can see anything you want to see if you look long enough. Moving on....

December 18, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  6. Reality

Hmmm, maybe the RCC should change the current "bloody/fleshy" eucharist, i.e. diet wafer to hard rock candy thereby making the daily crucifixion/blood letting a bit more tasty?

December 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  7. RightTurnClyde

I never could understand how people see images in a screen door or a grotto and will stare at it for hours in utter amazement but they would not dare read a gospel or even a commentary on a gospel. The look for codes in Hebraic scripture, in Mayan glyphs, in the map of Washington DC .. but they will not read a page of a book. The same people I guess who are convinced there are aliens in Area 51, cover ups at Rozwell, Bigfoot hiding the woods in Washington ..always some esoteric hidden cryptic message (known only to a few .. and the rest held in ignorance). well, I suppose if someone toots in church there could be a subliminal message.

December 18, 2010 at 5:28 am |
  8. Rev. Jim

That's not the Virgin Mary – that's Mary Magdaline holding her child, the paternity of which is in dispute!

December 18, 2010 at 1:07 am |
    • David Johnson

The father of Jesus is also in dispute. Some think the father may have been a Roman archer named Pantera.

Hmmm...Which is more believable? That a Roman archer seduced/ra_ped a young Jewish girl or that an all powerful creator of the universe got him some?

Cheers!

December 22, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  9. EMT420

We have Jesus Candy in New Jersey, too. We call it Ecstasy. Give that man a pacifier and a glow stick.

December 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
    • Peace2All

@EMT420

Nice...! 🙂

Peace...

December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
    • Frogist

@EMT420: LOL!!!

December 18, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  10. Luke

Dear crazy dipshait – show your candy to a human in China or India. If they see Jesus, then I'll concede.

December 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  11. marv

Was it high fructose corn syrup candy??

December 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  12. marv

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaahhh hahahahahah hahahaha did I say hahahahahah Lol hahahah

December 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  13. Jennifer

Matthew 24:
    At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. 25See, I have told you ahead of time.

December 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Jennifer

Does that biblical passage cover the 'virgin mary'...?

Peace...

December 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  14. David Johnson

Human's are really good at recognizing patterns. So good in fact, that they often "see" patterns that are not there.

Have you ever as a child "found" shapes in the clouds? Yep, me to.

I looked at the candy. I think an all powerful god could make a better likeness. But that's just me.

Cheers!

December 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • Frogist

@DJ: I had to look really hard to find Mary in that candy... I just didn't get it. But if you tilt your head to the right a bit I think... I'm kinda shocked that's the first thing he saw. I also see a polar bear wearing a scarf, an armadillo, and a fish riding a seal...

December 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
    • Bob

If you look at the candy upside down from what they show, it looks like a man playing 2 bongo drums.

Which is much cooler IMO.

December 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Bob

Ya' know... I think I'm with you on the dude playin' the bongo's. Yep...

Peace...

December 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  15. Smite Me

Was this 'miracle' on an "Airheads – Crazy Dip" by any chance?

December 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  16. Bill

I saw Godzilla in my morning dump today

December 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • MichaelInDC

Bill, I'm not so concerned that you saw Godzilla in your morning dump. I am, however, concerned that you were checking out your morning dump in the first place. Is this a habit of yours? LOL

December 19, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  17. Bob

That's right. God, the being with infinite power thinks the best way to convey the message of his love is to have crude representations of himself in grilled cheese, chips and hardtack candy.

December 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm |