home
RSS
December 30th, 2010

My Take: When the fat girl got mad at God

Editor's Note: Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food. Lysa blogs daily at www.lysaterkeurst.com.

By Lysa TerKeurst, Special to CNN

Three years ago I was stuck in a rut of wishful thinking and excuses with my weight loss. At the beginning of each day I would say I wanted things to be different. I would vow in my heart to make things different. I would even make a plan to stop the snacks, increase the veggies, and say no to the desserts.

But then life would happen. And the excuses were so very plentiful. So, my resolve would melt away like butter on a hot yeast roll.

Of course the next morning I would always get up and weigh myself hoping that somehow magic would have happened over night. Despite my indulgences from the day before, maybe just maybe the numbers would have gone down.

But the scale was not impressed with my wishful thinking. So you know who I’d get mad at?

God.

I’d beg God to help me one minute while scarfing down an order of fries the next. And then I’d be doubly mad He didn’t steer my car away from the drive-thru.

I deemed myself a victim of tragic genetics, overactive taste buds and a stomach that demanded large portions.  What I failed to realize for years is there was a much more significant issue going on with me.

More important than the ever increasing size of my jeans was the deception going on inside my heart. My weight was outside indication of an internal situation. There was a crucial spiritual situation that needed to be addressed.

I was relying on food to be my comfort, my ever present help, my guide, the thing that got me through the valleys and the first thing I wanted to celebrate with in the good times. Honestly, I might as well have taken Psalm 23 and replaced the Lord’s name with various food choices.

My proper little Christian self would have never expressed that out loud. But my body wouldn’t keep secrets. I had an issue. And the ever increasing size of my body demanded the REAL issue be addressed.

I don’t write to point out anyone else’s issue. There are certainly medical situations that can cause weight gain. But my issue was truly a spiritual one. And no diet would have ever been permanently successful until I got to the real root of my problem.

The root of my issue was craving food more than God. I desired and depended on the instant high of physical gratification because I hadn’t learned how to let God satisfy my deepest needs.

God wasn’t causing my weight issues as some sort of cruel consequence for my poor choices.
God was actually the very thing I needed to help overcome my issues.

Dr. Floyd Chilton who teaches at Wake Forest University of medicine wrote an article that said, "Your willpower is in constant battle with your genes and your calorie-excessive environment. Often your best efforts are no match for your genes and environment which is why so many diets fail so miserably... Will power alone is not enough to bring about this change; start by realizing that can not do this alone. If you are a person of faith, use that connection to help you change."

So, I set out to understand what the Bible says about how to consume food without food consuming me. I started in Genesis and read through the Bible with an appetite for truth rather than chocolate, chips and cheeseburgers. This was a spiritual journey that yielded great physical benefits. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months but more importantly, I have kept it off for nearly two years. That’s a first for me!

Now, I sense my weight issue was actually a gift in disguise. I never thought I’d say that. And yes, three years ago I would have rolled my eyes at someone saying that too.

But I don’t say it as a Pollyanna lollipop girl with too much air between her ears and no cellulite on her hiney.
I know this is a tough issue. I’ve walked through the tears and the feelings of failure. Remember, I was the fat girl mad at God about this whole deal. So, hear me out.

Learning to turn to God to fill my soul instead of food to overstuff my emptiness, has changed more than just my jeans size. It has changed my outlook on life. I did lose the extra weight I needed to shed and kept it off. But the real reward was what I gained with Jesus in the process. He became the best part of my journey. And I wouldn’t have missed this new found closeness I now have with Him for anything in world.

“For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food,” Romans 14:17-20.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Lysa TerKeurst.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Food • God • Opinion

soundoff (1,314 Responses)
  1. capnmike

It's amazing how many poor brainwashed people have this relationship with an imaginary being that simply does not exist. It's going to be a long time before the human race grows up.

December 30, 2010 at 9:13 am |
    • Natasha

capnmike,
      God does exist and he loves you!

December 30, 2010 at 9:25 am |
    • jmhansen

To all of the haters who just want to bash someone for having faith:
      1. Why does it matter to you if someone wants to believe in ANYTHING to help them along their life path? If it works, it works! Who cares if it's faith in God, the Easter Bunny, or just the "power of thought."
      2. Why do you even bother clicking on articles that are clearly religious in nature? If it's not something you believe in or subscribe to, pick a different article, one which you might have something constructive to add to the conversation.

December 30, 2010 at 9:48 am |
    • Kathy

This God you say does not exist loves even you with the ugly mouth. I will pray for you.

December 30, 2010 at 9:49 am |
    • Drama

Sorry – *Americans, not American's
      Also, you said "the human race", not Americans. My comment still applies, just wanted to make sure it was accurate.

December 30, 2010 at 9:55 am |
    • lena

Dear capnmike,
      Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him. John3:36

December 30, 2010 at 10:32 am |
    • CJ

I know its sad right, all the little people that cant just accept their own frailties as human beings, always having to think some superhuman diety is either opposing them or helping them along.

December 30, 2010 at 10:35 am |
    • AchievementGap

So how is worshipping yourself working out? Because that is obviosly who you worship. How many people has that encouraged? Judging by your post none. I bet your the type of person who would watch someone be injured and wouldn't stop to help because your so into your self and logic that the injured can help themselves. Stop reading the articles about faith if you have none.

December 30, 2010 at 10:47 am |
    • Justin

@ JMHansen – This is why people ('haters') post comments contrary to yours: God and religion are worthless. No one can prove any supreme being exists. (Most people counter this with 'you can't prove he doesn't exist' – show me how to prove a negative and I will).

It is frustrating to be told how great god is and then you turn around and some priest has molested another kid, or some nut job and his stupid story have been granted tax free status or some school board wants to push creationism on all public school kids. And the fact that there have been numerous gods throughout time only further helps the argument that believers don't have a clue what they are talking about.

It is frustating that believers, who are otherwise intelligent people, fall for and vehemently promote this nonsense without any thought of questioning it.

December 30, 2010 at 11:14 am |
    • DeAguaDulce

Hey, Justin! how, exactly, do you know I believe without questioning? How do you know I have no doubts or that I have never sought the truth? You don't know at all. The God I know and love understands my skeptical nature and has demonstrated his love and patience toward me as I walk with him. And, yes, I DO know him.

January 1, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  2. Holly Good

To Doctor0, thanks for asking. I know Lysa personally, and she does care deeply about the starving children of the world. As a matter of fact, she and her husband adopted 2 orphans from Africa 8 years ago. Just thought you should know her well balanced approach to life!

December 30, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  3. bush limbush

Is this the same god who lets people die of disease everyday? The same one who allows cancer, aids, sudden infant death??? Is this the same god that people rationalize every little thing that doesn't happen as though it is god's will but they can't seem to realize that the existence of god makes absolutely zero logical sense?

December 30, 2010 at 9:13 am |
    • BILBO BOOMERBOTTOM

Right on dude (or dudette).My son has so far lost 110 pounds with Weight Watchers,and he is an atheist!

December 30, 2010 at 9:19 am |
    • Santiago

There is no logical reason for matter to be attracted to matter. Physicists are still on the quest to find the elusive graviton...and still even without a logical reason, gravity still exists. I find science fascinating and enjoy the humble nature needed to figure out the processes of our universe...but be aware of its limitations. As advanced as we think we are, 90% of the universe is labeled "dark matter" and/or "dark energy" and we have ZERO knowledge about it except that it's strange.

Accept that we ARE ignorant and leave a door open to the understanding that just because the idea of God is too mind boggling, doesn't mean He doesn't exist. I am not talking about following a divisive religion...just open a personal relationship with God and take your first steps back towards Him.

December 30, 2010 at 9:49 am |
    • racing mom

to bush limbush – yes, this is the same God who even allows a simple minded being like you to exist. God is about love, compassion, and eternal salvation through Jesus Christ. If you don't like children starving, then feed them. If you don't like diseases killing people, donate your money to research. But please, quit belittling people who place their faith in God. You wouldn't like it if someone called you an idiot for your negativity. People who talk like you seem to have such great satisfaction in attemping to ruin other peoples days. please – get OVER yourself !

December 30, 2010 at 10:52 am |
    • kim

Santiago, there is of course no logical reason for anything in the universe. It hasn't emerged from logic, or designed logically. It just is. Universe, however, seems to be discoverable, and that's what science does, and with much success.

The ideas of gods are not mind boggling, they are mind numbing. Such mental masturbation doesn't solve anything, or answer anything, and has no evidence.

December 30, 2010 at 11:00 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

' God is about love, compassion, and eternal salvation through Jesus Christ'
      Unless you die not believing in him whereupon he will supposedly punish you for all eternity in a burning pit for some unknown reason. Wow that guy has some anger issues.

December 30, 2010 at 11:54 am |
    • FormalLogic

The reason god makes zero logical sense is not because "science knows everything", but because one has to wonder where god came from. If he made himself, it negates causality. If he didn't, something else made him, and whatever gave rise to god would surely have an easier time giving rise to humans. The belief in god is just inserting an unknown into the steps of our creation. It doesn't explain anything.

Side note – you guys are all athiests (even the writer of this article). Some people just go one god further in their non-belief.

December 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
    • Kay

Cedar Rapids: Unfortunately, that's where the message of the Bible has gotten misunderstood – we are all sinners and we all deserve an eternity in Hell. But God in His mercy provided salvation through Jesus Christ so that we may spend eternity in his perfect Heaven. If we got what we deserved, we would be in Hell. It's by his mercy that we get what we don't deserve. Eternity is going to be a long, desparing time for people who do not put their faith in Christ.

December 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  4. Chief

What a great article. Thank you for sharing solutions to a struggle that I have been living with for many years. I have great hope that God will help me change how I fill my cravings. I look forward to learning to fill myself with Him and His truth to meet my needs instead of food. I also look forward to my jeans size decreasing as a result. 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 9:09 am |
    • capnmike

You're gonna have to do it all by yourself...there isn't any god.

December 30, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  5. Yvonne

What a great article. THANK YOU so much. I think that I'll start following the blog to try and jump start the same issues that I have with food and God.

December 30, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  6. maggie

However, whenever we ask god to help us with something, we have to work toward it. God is not going to magically make you fit. You need to eat right and exercise.

December 30, 2010 at 9:08 am |
    • Brandon

See, this is the kind of comment that is so constant online, and so stupid. You obviously just skimmed the article, didn't really read it... No need for me to explain, because anybody who read it in detail has already completely dismissed your comment in their minds, that is how irrelevant your words are. Read it again. Slowly. See how stupid it is to "correct" or "point out" things that are THE ENTIRE POINT of the article.

December 30, 2010 at 9:23 am |
    • kim

That's to funny. You are basically telling everyone to live their lives as if there's no god (excellent advice, by the way). And in a puff of smoke, the god disappears, as it's not relevant anymore.

December 30, 2010 at 10:53 am |
    • Really?

@Brandon –

Correct the "entire point" of the article is ok to do when it's a crock of crap. This "god" doesn't have anything to do with anyone losing weight. This person decided to take control of their life and do what needed to be done to lose weight.

December 30, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  7. G

I'm excited about your book but haven't read it yet. God opened my eyes this year to the very things He's put on your heart to write about. In July I started eating healthier, exercising and praying hard about my body and how I should really care for His temple. I'm in awe of how God has helped me on this journey. I wish I had sought him years ago, rather than letting the food come between us. I've lost 38.5 pounds and have about 50 to go. I know with His help, anything is possible and I'm so excited! Thanks for being a tool for God's message. I look forward to reading the book.

December 30, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  8. Woody

Calories ingested > calories burned = weight gain. There's nothing supernatural about it. I guess in this woman's case, if she uses her mouth to pray instead of to chew, it works for her.

December 30, 2010 at 9:05 am |
    • Tonja Herbel

Prayer is the answer to all things. Enough said.

December 30, 2010 at 9:25 am |
    • Craig B.

It is just that simple.

December 30, 2010 at 9:26 am |
    • Atticus15

Well Woody, I think the message is of idolotry. Worshiping things rather than god (smoking, food, alcohol, drugs, money, etc) When we place things in the incorrect spot they have some pretty horrible ramifications upon our lives. Therefore we are to forgo the natural flesh desires and focus our efforts on becomming more like Christ.

December 30, 2010 at 9:48 am |
    • Maryann

Nothing FAILS like prayer.

December 30, 2010 at 10:12 am |
    • CJ

@Tonja Herbel

If prayer is the answer to all things then does that mean God lets priests touch kids because they prayed harder then the kids did?

December 30, 2010 at 10:19 am |
    • Bill

"Prayer is the answer to all things. Enough said."

Well then why haven't I won the lottery. I have been praying for that for decades. I'm not even fat, and my prayers still go unanswered. God sucks!

December 30, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • TerriinTX

Actually it is : Calories Ingested < Calories burned = weight loss and I agree that it is that basic. Far from simple, but basic. You seem to be a person who has no strongholds in this life, because if you did you would understand the subtle but strong hold any addiction has on a person. It is like those super strong but tiny mighty magnets that are so hard to remove once attached. Even if you get them off they pull right back. You have to devise the right leverage to dislodge it and then remove it a safe distance quickly.
      Prayer is the leverage, the other side of God is the safe distance.

December 30, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • esmiranda

To the person who said nothing fails like prayer, I just want to point out that those who think God answers every prayer, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. There have been times when I have been angry with God because of unanswered prayers. One day I realized God is not my Sugar Daddy. It's not like I will be "rewarded" every time I talk to Him and ask for things. I pray regularly, but in retrospect, the prayers that have been answered were the moments of dire need. And my praying wasn't a scripted "Oh dear God, please give me a..." was when I had broken down in the middle of a

December 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  9. Carolyn

I can so relate to Lysa's struggle. Thank you so much for writing about it so that those of us who struggle with it too have hope that there is a way to overcome....with God's help!

December 30, 2010 at 9:04 am |
    • Rad

Most of the comments on this article are from a bunch of fat girls. God didn't make you fat, you did. God isn't going to make you lose weight, put down the fork and go to the gym.
      I've never understood why some people never let this fairy tale go, god is a made up figure to give some people an answer to what they cannot explain.
      IF god is real, it's nice to see he is helping a fat girl lose weight and not dealing with AIDS or starving kids across the world. It sounds like he has his priorities straight.

December 30, 2010 at 10:58 am |
    • esmiranda

Rad, the comments are from fat girls who can relate, and atheists and others who see easy targets for unloading their anger, bitterness, and hate on total strangers. Atheists and bullies who are perfect and appear to have no lives of their own, you know, the "smart" ones.

December 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
    • Jamie

Thank you lysa for your encouraging story and for sharing your honest faith!! Our God, our Comforter, our provider is everything we need in this world! He is sufficient for us! God bless you...

December 31, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  10. teacher mom

great article Lysa. No problem is too big or too small for God. Thanks for the reminder.

December 30, 2010 at 9:03 am |
    • Silver Chair

Amen, Teacher Mom.

December 30, 2010 at 9:59 am |
    • Sean

I think this ‘god’ has more pressing matters than how fat you are. After all it would have nothing to do with how you have no self-control. And take no responsibility for your own actions. Be they failures or in this case success.

Maybe she sat on him until he caved and made her skinny!

December 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
    • esmiranda

I just want to reply to the person who said God has bigger problems to deal with than anyone's personal struggles. Nope, we who believe know He is there for us through all things. He's God, not the Wizard of Oz.

December 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
    • Kate

Hey Teacher Mom – did God give you specific permission to tell everyone what he does and doesn't do? Not cool to lie to people. Do you lie to your kids like that? How immoral!

December 30, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  11. Melissa

How many of us have yo-yoed our whole lives? It truly is so much more than what we put in our mouths. Thank you Lisa for your personal insights on this issue. How many of us long to live "the abudant life" and our weight gets in the way? On my way to put it on my nook, can't wait to hear the rest of your story and rise above!!

December 30, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  12. Teresa Hall

Lysa has a true gift for expressing the simple truths and insecurities that so many women struggle with with humor, grace and love, making it possible to let go of the isolation of emotion that keeps so many of us stuck. Made to Crave could be one of the truly life-changing books of our time- as obesity becomes a killer just as deadly as cancer, heart disease and, yes, in reference to one reader's post, even starvation. God has sent all of us to reach out and help those who are in need, and Lysa has taken up the call to help those of us who are struggling with the devastating
    issues of weight. Thank you, Lysa- and Thank you CNN for giving her this space to share with all who read it.

December 30, 2010 at 9:02 am |
    • Jolene

Teresa said it very well. Our epidemic with obesity has so much more to do with just what we're eating! We're missing so much more than self-control.

December 30, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  13. Forgetmeknot

I know what the fat girl did when she got mad at God....she ATE HIM! lol

December 30, 2010 at 9:00 am |
    • Susan

not funny at all. shame on you for being so cruel

December 30, 2010 at 9:15 am |
    • Bill

I thought it was hilarious. It's funny, every time I get stuck going to a church, i notice all the fatties there. I guess god wants them all to be heffers.

December 30, 2010 at 10:28 am |
    • some witty name

lol!!

December 30, 2010 at 11:21 am |
    • IntegralReality

I would always eat the chocolate crucifixes first on Easter.

December 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
    • esmiranda

Maybe you should wait until you graduate from kindergarten to post on an adult blog, poopoohead.

December 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  14. Lisa

Lisa commuicates in such a down-to-earth manner! I can't wait to read this book!

December 30, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  15. Marsha

I have a feeling that there are many of us who use food for comfort. We feel down; we eat. We are ecstatic; we eat. We are angry; we eat. I could go on and on, but it is an emptiness that goes on and on which is the root of it all. I've come to understand that in myself, and have been searching. Thanks for your blog. I'm thinking it is the answer to prayer.

December 30, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  16. Allison

Thanks Lysa for your honesty and voice for all the 'Jesus girls' out there who are struggling with the roller coaster of weight loss! Can't wait to begin the study and read the book (I've already put it on my Nook)!

December 30, 2010 at 8:49 am |
    • Kate

Bet you a million cookies that you will still be fat after trying it. It still doesn't work to beg a God for help anymore than it ever does for anything else.

December 30, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  17. Janet

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I can relate to every word you wrote! I am convinced that my weight issue is not about food and I long to be in that place where God I consistently turn to God instead of food to fill the longings in my heart! Thank you so much for the encouragment!

December 30, 2010 at 8:49 am |
    • Artemis

CJ:
      Actually, the concept of spiritual development is at the heart of all "anonymous" movements, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous, etc, and these organizations have helped millions around the world since 1935. Everything in this article is EXACTLY what is at the heart of many people's success stories at these organizations, yet people like this author seem to believe they've stumbled on to something revolutionary. These groups work not because they promote God (they don't, in fact), but that they promove emotional, mental and spiritual development. In other words, they help people grow up and take responsibility for their behaviors, and help them understand there is no quick fix to emotional distress, and engaging in a self-destructive behavior is not going to solve anything. This philosophy can work for agnosic or atheists as well, because if someone can humble themselves enough to ask for help from other people who've been successful, they can make changes to their own minds and souls.

December 30, 2010 at 10:32 am |
    • rosalito

CJ:

December 30, 2010 at 10:45 am |
    • rosalito

Bill,
      She is just expressing her opinions and believes without insulting. You have the right to believe whatever you want and nobody has the right to call you stupid because of that.

December 30, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Therefore, when we turn to God and leave our burdens at his feet, He will carry them for us and we will be able to focus on the right things.'
      Yeah I kind of think if you are unemployed, no money, homeless etc, then you will still have your burdens, they are not going to be left anywhere.
      'He will carry them for us' – too funny.

December 30, 2010 at 11:48 am |
    • Lauren McLeary

CJ,

Lysa and these women are not merely claiming that you pray and are delivered from excess calories and lack of exercise. They are claiming that a struggle with weight is not as simple a willing yourself into health. That there are matters of the heart such as emotional traumas and hurts that need to be addressed in addition to overeating. Is that idea so out of the mainstream? Even on shows like the Biggest Loser they address that weight problems stem from more deeply rooted emotional struggles in may cases. Whether you believe in God or not, would you agree that for those that do it is beneficial to believe that He loves people and what their bodies, minds, and spirits should to be as healthy as possible? All people need to feel significant and encouraged. Why should we say that God cannot be that inspiration? Should we limit our inspiration to Bob and Jillian or Weight Watchers?
      Lysa is sharing where she found her drive and inspiration to get healthy and I hope for the sake of many unhealthy and heart sick people that she can reach them with another way to think about health and the body, mind, spirit connection.

December 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
    • Melissa

Janet,
      Don't let the bullies discourage you. The mean comments stem from their own wounds, their own hurts. It is easier and the norm for people to blame everyone else for their problems, spew hate and hurt than to cowboy up and accept responsibility. We all come to those moments where we choose to accept or reject Christ. Those that reject Him, don't like the ones who accept Him. The emptiness and lost-ness creates a great void in their lives. Believer's / followers of Christ are deemed foolish by the world...Don't lose heart, He has overcome the world. One day every knee will bow at the name of Jesus. There is a great sifting going on in our country and a great spiritual battle rages all around us.

January 4, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  18. jodi

such great encouragement at the almost start of a new year when eat less/exercise more/lose some weight is on the minds of so many.

December 30, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  19. doctore0

Funny how gawd is helping out with fatness... but ignores thousands upon thousands of children dying each year from STARVATION

December 30, 2010 at 8:46 am |
    • teacher mom

God does not ignore his people, but it does seem as if he is calling you to help the starving. I do hope that you are not ignoring his call.

December 30, 2010 at 9:02 am |
    • bush limbush

well said!

December 30, 2010 at 9:10 am |
    • Marsha

Hmmm, strange thing about that. It seems those who are faithful to Christian values are the ones providing the most assistance to the hungry in the world. My husband and I support 6 children and their families through World Vision, for example. We mad the commitment to support them and are sticking to it even though he has been laid off and we are living on less than half our old income. We are not the exception. We are not anything special. We are Christians, and we follow the teachings of Christ. The Bible is full of God's commands to take care of the homeless, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty. So, as followers of Christ we do just that.
      In case you don't know about World Vision, they do not just pour money into poor communities. They first research what can be offered to people in the area of concern that will help them become productive, healthy communities. They send a team in with provisions to help them start on that path. Maybe it is a particular type of seed which can grow in their climate, or a specific set of animals. Then World Vision workers take the initial start up seed, animals, and equipment, go and teach the community, start up schools for the children, help with medical needs, and stay there until they are set up and self sufficient. Once that happens, World Vision moves on to help others. They believe in the principle of teaching one to fish, not just providing the fish without the knowledge of how to fish for themselves. This enables them to use the funds provided to help more people that if they just kept giving them food and clothing.
      Our church sends service teams to poor sections of the world 3 times a year to help build schools and hospitals.
      You can never say God is not doing anything to help the hungry. We are God's hands and feet here on earth. God could do a lot more to help the hungry around the world if more would join his people in their efforts. Maybe you might want to try working with your local church to make a difference as well.

December 30, 2010 at 9:14 am |
    • CountryGirl

It seems that those who shout the loudest about what needs to be done are the ones who do the least to fix the problems they have so quickly identified. What have you given? do your give your support to the local food bank or rescue mission to feed those who are hungry? If each of us helped just one person, then there would not be anyone who was hungry.
      Many of the problems in our nation are soul problems because of our human nature to be crosswise with God's best for us. Know for sure that a "policitical" solution has NEVER fixed a spiritual problem. Get on your knees America before our whole country is starved to death!

December 30, 2010 at 9:20 am |
    • Robin

What makes you think he is ignoring them? Are you with those thousands and thousands of starving children everyday? Do you know if He is or is NOT helping them by seeing them everyday??

December 30, 2010 at 9:20 am |
    • JonathanL

God happens too busy right now rewarding terrorists with virgins. He is searching other planets because there is an acute shortage of Earthling virgins. But GOd or no GOd (as a growing number of people are becoming convinced) fat is the result of more calories in than out (burned). Very simple logic here, no miracles needed, just a little logic. Duh.

December 30, 2010 at 9:25 am |
    • Amanda

Is God ignoring them or are we ignoring them?

December 30, 2010 at 9:27 am |
    • Atticus15

Sounds like you need to sign up for Christian Childrens fund donations. After all, we are to do his work until his return.

December 30, 2010 at 9:33 am |
    • ed dugan

Good statement. These people who tell us God gave us free will and then believe He spends His time micro-managing our puny lives have an incredible ability to delude themselves.

December 30, 2010 at 9:44 am |
    • EE

Yeah, but you see, the real victims are those who over indulge. Those who create their own problems, become products of their own environemnts, THOSE are the ones who God really helps... Please... @@Oh2beAnon, you make a very good point.

December 30, 2010 at 9:54 am |
    • Pat Griffin

- "Hmmm, strange thing about that. It seems those who are faithful to Christian values are the ones providing the most assistance to the hungry in the world."

Perhaps that is because you are involved only with specifically Christian organizations? I think if you broadened your involvement, you would see people of all faiths and of no faith at all involved. That is what I have seen in my experiences. But one thing I've noticed is that it is always people involved and participating in soup kitchens, relief organizations, etc. I haven't seen any gods there. But maybe I just haven't been to the right soup kitchens.

December 30, 2010 at 9:56 am |
    • CJ

lol in the words of Family Guy:
      "What do you think of the one you call God? Isn't his absence slightly flawed!?" (sung to the tune of umpa lumpa)

December 30, 2010 at 10:07 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Marsha
      Did you know that the head of World Vision has an annual income in excess of $400,000?
      Around 12% of your donation goes to administrative overhead – which actually makes this charity one of the better ones out there.

However – There are numerous secular charities that do just as much work as religious ones.
      Global Medic is a no-overhead charity here in Canada that has brought clean water and medical supplies to every major disaster in the last 5 years, for example.
      There's also Amnesty International, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Doctors Without Borders, World Health Organization, Unicef and a whole host of others.
      Personally, I prefer charities that don't hand out scripture with the aid they provide.

December 30, 2010 at 10:30 am |
    • tommas

Amen doctor

December 30, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • Doctor Porky

Well doctore0, I'd wager that when you go see a physician, you are told that you could drop a few lbs. I'd also wager that you send no money to starving people in the world. It probably all goes to pizza, fast food and lame video games. Practice what you preach chub scout. Yeah, I know you're fat. You'll reply that you aren't, but I could also reply that I'm 12 feet tall; neither is true.

December 30, 2010 at 10:55 am |
    • scratching my head

amen 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 10:57 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Doctor Porky
      I weigh 5 pounds, which is a healthy weight for my height of three apples.
      My physician says that my skin is a very robust blue, which indicates that my health is just smurfy, thank you very much.

December 30, 2010 at 11:04 am |
    • fens

@marsha, @ countrygirl: is god telling you how much nonchristians are or are not helping the starving around the world? Or is it your preacher, or your own sense of superiority?

The point of the article is basically how she wanted to lose weight, so she prayed, and jesus helped her lose weight. Jesus didn't send her a Muslim personal trainer to help her work out while trying to convert her to Islam, or a Hindu personal chef to prepare healthy, low cal meals for her while letting her know all the great plans Ganesh has for her. But if you're starving and you want to eat, jesus doesn't grow food in the sand, or put food right into your tummy (which he could do if he wanted to, right?), no matter how close your relationship with him is.

According to Atticus15, "after all, we are to do his work until his return." If my coworker or boss told me to do her (or his; don't let your PC language detector go all hypersensitive) work until her return, I'd say she's ignoring her job.

December 30, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • What have you done for me lately?

Lisa prayed for God's help with her problem and got it. How much time have you spent praying for hungry children? I'd guess probably not as much time as Lisa has spent praying for hungry children.

December 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
    • JT

When will these delusional people all die off? We're going into 2011 and I think we're slipping back to the dark ages instead of going forward.

December 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • wnorwood

There are many Christian organizations that are working hard on world hunger....Samaritan's Purse, World Vision, Compassion International, to name a few. Christianity gets blamed for a lot of things, but Christianity has always, throughout the history of the world, been behind positive social change...i.e. orphanages, abolishing of slavery, and better treatment for women and children.

December 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Wnorwood
      "but Christianity has always, throughout the history of the world, been behind positive social change...i.e. orphanages, abolishing of slavery, and better treatment for women and children."

Uhm.... not really.
      Here's what the bible thinks of women:
      "women should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission..."1 Corinthians 14:34
      "Wives submit to your husbands, as is fitting to the Lord." Colossians 3:18
      "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission." 1 Timothy 2:11
      And let's not forget Deuteronomy 22:20 which commands every male in the town to stone to death any woman who isn't a virgin, yet still lives with her father.
      As for slavery, Christianity is rife with handy tips for how to treat your slaves – like Exodus 21:20
      "When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property"
      Is the practice of buying another human being immoral?
      Not according to Leviticus 25:44
      "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

How about human trafficking?
      Exodus 21:7 – "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again."

Any Christian who advocates the abolishment of slavery or treating women as anything other than chattel isn't following the mandates of their Holy Book.

God wants you to buy and sell people, including your own daughters (or throw them to a mod to be ra-ped like Lot did) and to treat women like unclean beasts. After all, it was a Woman's fault that humanity was ejected from paradise....

December 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
    • esmiranda

You can mock God all you want by hip hopping his name, He remains the same in essence despite your bitterness. And I agree with teacher Mom in her assessment of those who mock God for the suffering of the world, but change the channel when their TV shows is interupted by ads asking for money for starving children.

December 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
    • esmiranda

See yourself at all in that? What do you do to help, doctore? Oh, that's right, you're not God. And I have a feeling your too busy worrying about your own agenda to pitch in and lend a helping hand. Bravo! Hypocrite.

December 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
    • Lauren McLeary

About God and the starving children around the world; We all as His creation have a responsibility to care for needy children. Lysa has adopted two Liberian orphan boys. Not merely fed them but given them a home, family, and future. What are you contributing? Before you judge someone for their beliefs, maybe you should see if their lives are modeling the love and care of God that they profess powerfully exhists. Lysa is not merely speaking spiritual rhetoric and propaganda, she is living out the kind of compassion that we all would be blessed to emulate.

December 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
    • HotAirAce

If the US is god's favorite nation and is so concerned about obesity, why is the US among the fattest nations on earth? See http://www.expatify.com/news/the-worlds-top-10-fattest-countries.html.

Seems to me that an all powerful being would find a much more efficient way to eliminate a major health issue than one believer at a time.

PS to Lysander: congratulations on losing weight and shifting to a healthier lifestyle – *you* did great – no supernatural being required. In fact, your god is a pretty poor personal fitness trainer – the good folks at Biggest Loser would have achieved the same, or better, in about half the time. As is so often the case, your god is an under-achiever.

December 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
    • Kate

I'm always amazed at how many people feel privileged enough to tell everyone pompously what God really wants. I've never seen a 'faithful' person with any real humility.

December 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
    • Al

Two guys are talking to each other and one of them says he has a question for God. He wants to ask why God allows all of this poverty and war and suffering to exist in the world. And his friend says "Well, why don't you ask?" The fellow shakes his head and says he is scared. When his friend asks why, he mutters, "I'm scared God will ask me the same question."~Shane Claiborne in The Irresistible Revolution:Life as an ordinary radical

God does care about his people, but most often He asks us to lend a helping hand to those in need. If you are crying out about the starving children and doing nothing to help them, what good are you?

December 31, 2010 at 11:14 am |
    • DeAguaDulce

@ Pat Griffin: Yes, Christians do give to Christian organizations, but those organizations give to anyone, no matter the faith or willingness to convert. Compare that to Muslim alms giving like in Pakistan during the floods; non-muslims were specifically denied help, because the alms came from Muslims and non-Muslims cannot benefit from Muslim giving.

January 1, 2011 at 12:44 am |
    • A Proud Christian

Teacher Mom sure shut you up–that is if you have the good sense to shut up. Believe what you want, GOD exists. It's a shame too many of you will find out too late. Why do you read religious blogs anyway if you only want to criticize? Lysa has every right to say what she believes as you do. If you don't believe and think that it's a waste of time, read other stuff.

January 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Mary Ann

Doctor0 – you are right on. @Marsha and others – there are plenty of non-faith based organizations in the world where those of us that understand that by looking at the world its pretty obvious there is no god or that if he does exist, he doesn't do anything about starvation and other hardships heaped upon humans in the world. Where as believers think a god is going to wave his magic wand and help, non-believers understand it is up to us to help the less fortunate and I believe actually do more and work harder to help those in need. I didn't see god do much for Haiti for example....but I did see a whole bunch of humans step in to help. god is Santa Claus for adults. And just like Santa, if some human doesn't step in, there isn't going to be a gift appear under your tree. Same with charity....its human based not god based. Thank Good (yes...good as in the opposite of bad, not a misspelling of god) that humans have each other. And our only purpose is to help each other while we are here.

January 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • just philip

Doctor? ya kiddin....right? Your not a doctor...your kiddin right? quick response...Yahweh gave you, me, and all men everything yes, Doc, everything to resolve hunger, but your fellow man and you and I have other agenda driven by selfishness. greed and our own motives to get involve with anything outside our world....I ll take my chance and take the remedy of GOD s word over the world s foolish theories...I am not asking you to believe, I am asking you to simply to rethink the possibility that some higher being put a hugh inventory of goods available to us to help our fellow man...Yehoshua returning soon, weather you want to believe or not, it will happen and than you ll be either here or there....take the better chance, take the chance and enter in the kingdom of GOD, if HE does nt come back than you have nt lost anything, but if HE comes back, eternity in paradise!

January 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • momof3

Just FYI doctore0, God is taking care of the starving as well one by one. Lysa and her husband adopted 2 boys from Africa who were starving....because she felt that God was telling her to do so. As you complain about how many starving people there are not being helped I wonder how much you have done to help? I also wonder if you know of the missionaries and the mission trips led by believers in God that occur each year in attempt to help the starving?

Thank you Lysa for writing this book! May you be blessed for your compassion to help others!

January 6, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  20. Pam

Great article, Lysa! AMEN to that!

December 30, 2010 at 8:44 am |
    • nilloc

wow

December 30, 2010 at 9:19 am |
    • Olivia

I concur. Excellent work Lysa. I love how God relates to us as his children. He cares for us like a father. Thanks for sharing.

December 30, 2010 at 9:53 am |
    • magnus

Oh2beAnon's words are both eloquent and thoughtful. He is correct. It was your motivation that lost weight. If you want to name your motivation god then by all means go ahead. But spare us the brainwashing. I suppose god" gave us the ability to think for ourselves as way to trick us into challenging his existence. Boy, that "god" sure knows how to play cruel tricks on us mortals.

December 30, 2010 at 10:02 am |
    • twally

@Amy/vaheelius-Funny your "intellect" doesn't tell you that you act like a child when cut down others based on their beliefs.
      You don't know any more about the world and how it was created than the next person,you just choose to "believe" what you've been taught,no different than a person of faith.
      Keep cutting down believers,the only one you are comforting is your own small ego.

December 30, 2010 at 10:06 am |
    • Lynn

I agree, GREAT job Lysa!

December 30, 2010 at 10:29 am |
    • Gretchen

Thank you, Lysa! It seems the detractors may not be recognizing the true power of increasing your relationship with God. That's the real message here. What you accomplished is a strengthened relationship of faith. If that renewed relationship became the motivation for living a healthier lifestyle, then what a bonus.

December 30, 2010 at 10:30 am |
    • rosalito

Yes, we gain weight because we can't control our mouths by ourselves and overindulge. We also overindulge because we have issues, emotional pain and stress. Therefore, when we turn to God and leave our burdens at his feet, HE will carry them for us and we will be able to focus on the right things. Thank you, Jesus for helping us so much....

December 30, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • Jessica

I lost weight by reading books too – not the bible, but just by reading. It's magical the way that works. DOING SOMETHING keeps you occupied, whatever that "something" is. When I dont read, I find something else to do...otherwise, if I just sit on the couch and watch tv to unwind at night, I tend to snack.
      Kudos to the author for being really happy about finding jesus and becoming BFF's.
      but she's a bit mistaken in her connection with weight loss...it doesnt have to be jesus, or a relationship with god...
      just need to find something to distract you from thinking about food 24/7...it could be a new friendship with a real human, it could be a new pet that you walk every day, it could be a new found love for Stephen King and needing to read every one of his books...
      bottom line DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN EATING.
      oh, and actually, truly care about it...if you dont, things wont change, period.
      I do always scratch my head at people who give away their power like this...pat yourself on the back lady, YOU DID THIS, not god.

December 30, 2010 at 11:24 am |
    • Jinxgt

I love how people come flooding into CNN's religion blog just to attack people's faith. Take your religion bashing comments elsewhere. Seriously, these same people get offended by religious protesters holding anti-gay signs and preaching hate but then have the audacity to do the same behind the safety of their monitor. The hypocrisy is disgusting, in my eyes, no ma tter what you believe

December 30, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • jbr1

It's sad this is considered any sort of news out side of a small town in Iowa and disappointing it's on a website I come to for news. Believe what you want to believe but please don't waist my time or others with this Christian propaganda, there is enough of it in this country I don't need to see it from a major news source. I also find it sad that there are people out there that will read this and think that they truly can lose weight by reading a book. Exercise and diet, not God, make you lose weight and stay fit.

December 30, 2010 at 11:39 am |
    • fens

@jinxgt: Then again, why are you looking for your religion articles on CNN.com? What exactly are you expecting to find in the comments? If, as you say, the comments disgust you, you shouldn't be reading them. Unless, as it appears, you enjoy being disgusted.

On the other hand, your comment is neither surprising nor disgusting, but fairly typical fare from the insulated and easily offended religious.

December 30, 2010 at 11:47 am |
    • Bill Kicks Rocks

What online university did you get your degree from Bill? Did they not teach you how to use a spacebar? "Duh, I'm going to tell people how smart I am and how dumb they are, yet I can't perform a simple task such as user properly spacing my words. Duh, I know rocks so I know all about the world. Duh, big bang. Duh, nothing begat nothing." Moron.

December 30, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • Ykcyc

OMG!
      Does anybody take any responsibility for themselves?!
      Is God's job only to grant requests from stupid people?
      Ask not what your God ca do for you...
      Others defend their impotent version of God, as if God needs their insignificant, pitiful, pathetic selves to rescue him.
      The only thing they are defending (not unlike suicide bombers) is their distorted concept of what God is.
      God need not be asked for things – what's necessary is being provided.
      God does need your defence and is fully capable of that function.
      For those liberated and self-righcheous christian women out there:
      Corinthians 14:33
      As in all the congregations of the holy ones, 34 let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. 35 If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.

December 30, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • tiredmom

Thanks, Lysa for a heartfelt sharing of your story! I wish more of us were as braves as you are!

December 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jinxgt

@fens: I read my news on cnn, and this article was on the homepage. I enjoyed reading a heart felt story of a woman finding strength in God to help her with weight loss. What are you doing here other than to spread hate? I was reading the comments hoping to find praise of her accomplishments. Instead the remarks are riddled with sarcasm and hate. Maybe I'm naive and our nation has fallen so far that we all (myself included) waste our time antagonizing one another.

December 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • fens

@What have you done for me lately?
      You know who probably does a lot of praying for hungry children? Hungry children. You know how much good it does them? None.

Of course, if we're supposed to be doing god's work, or as "what would jesus do?", then the answer is easy. Jesus either does nothing, or has someone else (us) do it for him (assuming that jesus, as the son of god-slash-god himself, is omnipotent and could feed children if he wanted). Either way, if we all took did what jesus would do (nothing, or have someone else do it), not a lot of hungry children get fed..

December 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • Pvasquez

Wow, bravo CNN for posting this! Lysa thanks so much for this article. You're such an inspiration, keep the faith and keep sharing it!

Patricia

December 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
    • 3xmom

Right on and so true! Looking forward to my own journey and reading the new book. Thanks Lysa!

December 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
    • Monson

Great story Lysa!!

Even through all the ridicule and bashing and whatnot, it's encouraging to see a faith grow with God and how it can be shared to help others.

To those out there trying to argue with others that have a hard time believing, let's look at how Jesus did it. Where in the Bible, specifically the Gospels where we see so much of his ministry, was he arguing with non-believers? I guess arguing could be a matter of perspective, however, he "showed" everyone what it means to have faith and how to live a better life. Again, a matter of perspective.

But before we begin spouting verses at each other online, where we can't see each other and don't know each other, let's simply show those who we actually interact with during our days, what it means to live a life for Christ.

December 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
    • tammy

Pam, I could have written this! Thank you for writing it and letting me know that I am not alone in this situation.

December 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • esmiranda

It never ceases to amaze me, the people who don't believe in God or the Bible and it's story of creation. So you don't believe and that works for you, good for you! To scientist who say the world being made in seven days is ludicrous – God is not a human contractor, so He who created the heavens and the earth could have done it in seven seconds. If you dispute His timetable of how events occurred, try taking that up with Him. That's kind of the whole concept of God. Just wanted to clarify that for you, you seem too dense, uh, deep to get that. We who believe don't go on scientific fact. For one thing, scientific "facts" are known to change, despite mathematical absolutes. Yes, believe it or not, human scientists are fallible. And if it was easy to believe in God because of absolute physical proof it wouldn't be called faith, would it? As for the non-believers who so eagerly want to mock and bash my beliefs, I didn't realize me and my personal beliefs were so important to people who don't even know me. You may need to belittle others beliefs to make your own seem more than what they are, but I don't need any person to concur in my belief in God. I'm not that insecure.

December 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • esmiranda

I just want to say that the whole atheist thing is just too funny. Atheists use the arguement that people who believe in God and religion are delusional. Athesits so vitriolically denounce God and freely insult and bash anyone who believes. It makes me have to ask – if we who believe are delusional for believing, what are you as you waste all this time and energy on something you DON"T believe? You're not forced to believe, especially in this day and age when religion is considered stilted and outdated. Why the uneasiness over what others personally believe? It appears there are atheists screaming very loudly over the lack of God, or their lack of God. You think about Him more than many agnostics and probably even religious people, because somehow denouncing God and mocking and belittling those who believe every chance you get somehow makes your life better. Now, that just doesn't make sense to me. And you call me delusional.

December 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • Robin

Congrats CNN for utilizing such a great writer about a real struggle for many women. Lysa, you never fail to eloquently write the thoughts so many of us have. Hope you keep using that God-given talent in venues like this one!

December 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Bill Kicks Rocks

So, your entire argument to support creationism over science is that Bill missed a space or two? In other words, you value form over content? Thanks for demonstrating your amazing intellect and debating ability. Perhaps when you get over your anger and disappointment caused by learning the oh so perfectly written bible is merely a collection of man-made tribal myths, you will have an open mind to modern knowledge.

December 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Bill Kicks Rocks

I'm surprised you haven't chastised the numerous posters that can't manage to spell Lysa correctly...

December 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
    • Loretta

I'm reading Lysa's book, it's the most helpful book on weight loss I've read.

December 30, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
    • kennilou

Amen Pam

December 31, 2010 at 8:49 am |
    • The Kraken

Atheist have to be loud in protest of religion because you religious nuts don't just keep your religion at home. You take it to the ballot box and into schools. You bring religion into world politics and the world of science. People all around the world have been oppressed by religion. Galileo, one of our greatest minds was condemned by the church and spent the last years of his life on house arrest.

December 31, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • DeAguaDulce

I think some of you have completely missed the point. The writer is, in fact, taking responsibility for her weight gain. She stated that her faith made her confront the fact that she WASN'T taking responsibilty and was blaming God rather than herself.

January 1, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • janeykins

Lysa, cannot wait to read your book, love this quote " I hadn’t learned how to let God satisfy my deepest needs" and was turning to food instead!!

January 1, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Ryan A - Florida

People only need God, because they can't just believe in themselves. His will is more often invoked as excuse, then it ever is by those who achieve. I praise this woman for her efforts to live a healthier life, but I firmly disagree with the statement regarding the insufficiency of willpower alone...but were I to include one other contributor, I must say that Knowledge makes for a far more useful and helpful companion than god will ever be for anyone.

January 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Elizabeth

I think Lysa makes some very good points about her motivations and her need for support to overcome overeating - and I am very happy for her that she has found her solace, support, and indeed nutrition in G-d. How much healthier is this than the cycle of overeating, depression, and self-hatred she suffered prior to her discovery that help was there for her?

January 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • VegasRage

Because god isn't enough when it comes to overcoming additive behaviors, go ask any recovering alcoholic who inculcated themselves in faith, the biblical word, and religious devotions. It's not enough, god does not save you from these things, it only comes from scratching and climbing your way out of the depths of despair with the aid and support of people keeping you gently accountable to regimented set of steps. God does not do this for you. In some cases breaking these addictions requires intensive therapy.
      There is no evidence God did anything in these matters, people like to attach God and God's grace to their success. There is however no lack of proof people did it, that people were there to support those who needed help. There is no lack of proof that the person who achieved breaking free worked their butt off for their own good. Other than in peoples minds where is the proof God did anything in these matters?

January 2, 2011 at 2:14 am |
    • Charlie

Barf...Religionists are soooo dilusional! Get a life and live in reality. Seriously!

January 2, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Brandi

True... our hearts are master idol makers and we are created to worship. We will worship- no question, but what? This is a great article about worshiping food.... but it could be about beauty, or control, or money, or youth or stuff or..... anything NOT the CREATOR.... Jesus.

January 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Know What

Brandi,

"We will worship- no question, but what?"

Perhaps you feel the need to 'worship' things, but many people do not. One can respect, admire, learn from, utilize, enjoy, etc. many things without 'worshipping' them.

January 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Allison J

Love and GOD bless Lysa! My prayers are with you and everything you do! Never stop doing what God wants you to do,no matter what the word may say;)

January 4, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • Nick

1st Great Artical. Its not just about weight gain or loss its about trusting God to help us through our problems. He doesn't like some of you suggest magically take your weight away or always answer our prayers with a yes sometimes it is a NO. To the atheisits you have to remember that in Christian thinking we are given these challenges not only to remember to turn to him for help but, also this is our punishment due to our failures in the Garden by listening to the serpant.
      This is our faith so why should we be ignorant or uneducated to believe this? Has sience proved that the big bang has happend beyond a shadow of a doubt NO. That is why it is stated as a Theory NOT Fact.
      Now you might say all we have is Faith. That is true however ponder this before you tell us we are uneducated. You bealive in the air you breath correct? Have you ever seen it or touched it. No but, because someone has told you it is there you have Faith it is presant. To be more poignant Science can't even explain a thought does that mean it isn't real? So since Science can't explain it does that mean we have to take it on Faith that we each Think for ourselves? Just a Thought. Again Great Artical and God Bless.

January 4, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Tammy Grisham

Thank you Lysa for you dedication to the Lord!
      To those who think that we should leave God at home, do you live in America? Our country is based on In God we trust!
      But God can deffend himself. I will say that I had been a drug addict mostly meth and cocain for at least 7 years. I almost died! I called my mom and she picked me up, we went back to her home in the country, I went up stairs and I prayed! I did not know God except for going to church when I was a child. I asked him to help me, I cried out to him. I had not spoke to him in years. He met me right where I was! I cried out to him for help, to heal me, deliver me from the drug abuse! And he did! I have been clean for 13 years now! You can ask anyone who knows something about withdrawing from drugs, I should not have lived through that! God put me to sleep for a few days, during that time he was healing me. I woke up a free woman!
      God is the same yesterday, today and forever Amen!
      I have seen him at work first hand! Thank you Lord!

January 4, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Kelly

Lysa, I thank and praise God for people like you who are willing to stand up and proclaim who Jesus is and what He has done in your life. Made to Crave is a message SO many of us women (and men too) need to hear! Everything seems to revolve around food.....and oh, how much richer my life would be if it revolved around God and His Word instead. My prayer for 2011 is that my life will be more filled with God than ever before. Thank you for your ministry. I love getting your blog updates through my email....it makes me smile everytime I see a new one! I love and support you, my sister-in-Christ! 🙂

January 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Thinking Woman

I came across this speaker on the radio the other day and was interested, but then tuned out when she embarked in that nauseating "and then God said" .."and then God whispered to me"..."and then God nudged me..".."and Jesus 'messes' with me"...
      I then started wondering..should we really be thinking about weight? Or, should we be thinking about a mental condition. God whispering to you? Guess what? I could run around saying "God whispered to me" ..here, buy my book on eating nothing but beets! You'll get to heaven!! But the truth is, we all know that it would be outrageously delusional!
      I have a pack of "Christian" in-laws. Their life literally spins around food. They are obsessed with it. They are 100% gluttons-for-Christ. I think this has everything to do with their faith and the harshness of it. No sooner are they noshing on Texas toast, they're bashing a gay...but then explaining how the Lord loves us all. Sick. Nothing like the prospect of potential hellfire to cause you to mutter to Jesus and down a pack of yeasty half-done "monkey bread."
      So Jesus is your weight-loss guru? Why didn't I think of that? It's exploitative of the well-intentioned church lemmings who indulge in regular potlucks, church picnics, the after-church spread as they 'socialize,' on and on and on. Their religions make them fat. You can't blame everything on your parents.
      Oh. And apparently, according to the speaker, if you start working out too much, God might "whisper" that ...oooh..you know, that's too much. THEN (on the Focus on the Freakshow..I mean, Family) she actually brought her poor son into her discussion and his lapse in purity to somehow parallel HER lapse in self-control. How humiliating that must be for that poor guy! Focus on the Family? Or, Focus on your own private delusional epiphany and share it for a bunch of affirming Christian ooooohhhhs..& aaaahhhhhhs. Awww, schucks. Praise the Lord. Now, I'm off to my gym. And, there is nothing like working those glutes for the guys in the weight room to motivate...don't ever tell me that Jesus wolf whistles at you...but, sadly, perhaps you're that far gone. What's next? The Jesus loved Anorexics book? Aaaahhh...good luck, lady. Understand. I get soooo disgusted when people take average trendy issues and stamping Jesus on them...especially in the realm of the Christian Woman crowd. They talk in hushed giggly voices. They sigh. They try to sound all "god-fearing." Get real. Stop going to fairy land and come present!

January 6, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@ThinkingWoman

Interesting story about Lysa hearing god. As I mentioned elswhere, she has an article on one of her websites about hearing god but admits in it that she hasn't actually heard god!

January 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • mr E

Why would god help you lose weight but not help abused children? I think your god's priorities are wrong.

January 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • LOL!!!

So, I didn't quite get it, who actually helped you? God or Jesus?

January 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • BMC

I get mad at God all the time... but then I remember he is just a figment of my imagination...

January 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm |