home
RSS
December 30th, 2010

My Take: When the fat girl got mad at God

Editor's Note: Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food. Lysa blogs daily at www.lysaterkeurst.com.

By Lysa TerKeurst, Special to CNN

Three years ago I was stuck in a rut of wishful thinking and excuses with my weight loss. At the beginning of each day I would say I wanted things to be different. I would vow in my heart to make things different. I would even make a plan to stop the snacks, increase the veggies, and say no to the desserts.

But then life would happen. And the excuses were so very plentiful. So, my resolve would melt away like butter on a hot yeast roll.

Of course the next morning I would always get up and weigh myself hoping that somehow magic would have happened over night. Despite my indulgences from the day before, maybe just maybe the numbers would have gone down.

But the scale was not impressed with my wishful thinking. So you know who I’d get mad at?

God.

I’d beg God to help me one minute while scarfing down an order of fries the next. And then I’d be doubly mad He didn’t steer my car away from the drive-thru.

I deemed myself a victim of tragic genetics, overactive taste buds and a stomach that demanded large portions.  What I failed to realize for years is there was a much more significant issue going on with me.

More important than the ever increasing size of my jeans was the deception going on inside my heart. My weight was outside indication of an internal situation. There was a crucial spiritual situation that needed to be addressed.

My proper little Christian self would have never expressed that out loud. But my body wouldn’t keep secrets. I had an issue. And the ever increasing size of my body demanded the REAL issue be addressed.

I don’t write to point out anyone else’s issue. There are certainly medical situations that can cause weight gain. But my issue was truly a spiritual one. And no diet would have ever been permanently successful until I got to the real root of my problem.

The root of my issue was craving food more than God. I desired and depended on the instant high of physical gratification because I hadn’t learned how to let God satisfy my deepest needs.

God wasn’t causing my weight issues as some sort of cruel consequence for my poor choices.
God was actually the very thing I needed to help overcome my issues.

Dr. Floyd Chilton who teaches at Wake Forest University of medicine wrote an article that said, "Your willpower is in constant battle with your genes and your calorie-excessive environment. Often your best efforts are no match for your genes and environment which is why so many diets fail so miserably... Will power alone is not enough to bring about this change; start by realizing that can not do this alone. If you are a person of faith, use that connection to help you change."

So, I set out to understand what the Bible says about how to consume food without food consuming me. I started in Genesis and read through the Bible with an appetite for truth rather than chocolate, chips and cheeseburgers. This was a spiritual journey that yielded great physical benefits. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months but more importantly, I have kept it off for nearly two years. That’s a first for me!

Now, I sense my weight issue was actually a gift in disguise. I never thought I’d say that. And yes, three years ago I would have rolled my eyes at someone saying that too.

But I don’t say it as a Pollyanna lollipop girl with too much air between her ears and no cellulite on her hiney.
I know this is a tough issue. I’ve walked through the tears and the feelings of failure. Remember, I was the fat girl mad at God about this whole deal. So, hear me out.

Learning to turn to God to fill my soul instead of food to overstuff my emptiness, has changed more than just my jeans size. It has changed my outlook on life. I did lose the extra weight I needed to shed and kept it off. But the real reward was what I gained with Jesus in the process. He became the best part of my journey. And I wouldn’t have missed this new found closeness I now have with Him for anything in world.

“For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food,” Romans 14:17-20.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Lysa TerKeurst.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Food • God • Opinion

soundoff (1,314 Responses)
  1. criminy

Why is it so hard to copy the woman's name? It's LYSA and half of you are writing LISA. The dumb are so faithful.

December 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  2. Dj BionicBounce

I CAN VOUCH FOR TEASMONIY ON HOW FAITH CAN CHANGE THE WAY U LOOK I HAVE LOST 140 POUNDS IN TWO YEARS IT WASNT DIETING BUT A LIFESTYLE CHANGE THIS WHAT GOD TOLD ME & IT HAS WORKED I STARTED GOING TO THE GYM LAST MARCH 2009 THEN I CHANGED MY EATING HABITS IN DEC 2008 VERY SLOWLY BY GODS HAND NO SALT NO JUNK FOOD NO BEEF NO PORK WHEN I STARTED AT THE GYM GOD MOVED ME TO DO WHAT I ENJOYED DOING DURING WORKOUTS PRAISE GOD IT HAS WORKED I GOT SET GYM DAYS & STICK TO THAT GOD IS GREAT I AM STILL GOING FULL FORCE

December 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
    • Mr. Sniffles

Of course, you could have done all that without God and gotten exactly the same results. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

December 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
    • HotAirAce

And consistent with Bill Kicks Rocks demand for perfect spacing, you could release the Caps Lock key... Or does that require a prayer to your tribal god, and an explicit response? :^)

December 30, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  3. Mark

@Guapo...

"Scientific theory is the pinnacle of TESTABLE scientific claims"
    Not applicable to the theory of evolution. It's not a testable scientific claim.

"....OBSERVABLE phenomena expressed as QUANTIFIABLE properties"
    Not applicable to the theory of evolution.

"....that express relationships between OBSERVATIONS of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available EMPERICAL data about such OBSERVATIONS".
    Again....not applicable.

Nice try though. Can I have what's behind door #2 instead???

December 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

Now would you care display your understanding of what that all means?

I would argue that it is testable. If bacteria B has the ability to evolve than they would become resistant to drug A. Look, bacteria B is resistant to drug B. Lets find the genes responsible and look at the gemones before and after resistance. Its hard to test because mutation is random.

Quantifiable properties? Have you ever read up on population genetics?

that express relationships between OBSERVATIONS of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to a"vailable EMPERICAL data about such OBSERVATIONS".
      Again....not applicable."

How is that not applicable?

You dont even understand what any of that means do you?

December 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

"bacteria B is resistant to drug B" should read "bacteria B is resistant to drug A"

December 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  4. criminy

What would Jesus Do....for a Klondike bar? Bwahahhahahaha

God told me I needed to get laid more. See y'all later.

December 30, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  5. Lori

Great job Lysa! Can't wait to read the book and do the study. But I must agree that the deeper relationship with God that you gained during this journey is more important than the weight you lost!

December 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  6. Howard Stimpleton-Hurst

As to Ms. TerKeurst's book, What Would Jesus Do?

Matthew 21:12-13 "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, and said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Interesting – the non-believers are trying to cast out one who sells in the temple, but the believers keep on buying and defending the seller.

December 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
    • SeanNJ

The irony would be delicious...if Lysa hadn't already eaten the irony.

December 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  7. Kelly C

I have read Lysa TerKeurst's book written about here. If you are trying to fill your empty soul, not your empty stomach, with food – then the principles in this book will help you. No, it is not the book for everyone, however it will help many people and for that I am thankful.

December 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  8. Mark

@Guapo..

"So much fail in your post. To point out each ignorant failure would take all day. Go educate yourself with sources not tainted by delusionist propaganda. Maybe then you can speak properly with us".

Yes, I do believe you're right. I'd better go educate my self with the "proper" kind of mindless propoganda drivel before I esteem to hold discourse with the likes of you and your evolutionist friends. I'll go dust off my copy of "On the Origin of Species" or read the lastest anti-God rhetoric by the great Richard Dawkins and then I'll get back with ya.

December 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
    • .Guapo.

Well theres a good start.

December 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

c

December 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
    • Dallas5superrings

Mark, Goupo is a lost soul....Read this one...Goupo? You should love this...

“In this century (twentieth century), science has come to understand how the universe began from a tiny point, fifteen billion years ago. No matter how incredible it sounds, it seems that the church’s ideas of a moment of creation were right from the beginning.”
      (Steven Hawking, perhaps the most famous scientist alive, made this startling admission during the 1997 PBS program, Universe.)

December 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
    • .Guapo.

Oooooh you got me there with that Stephen Hawking quote. Wait....no you didnt. See below genius.

""Because there are laws such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going." Stephen Hawking --The Grand Design (September 2010)

December 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

So are you implying that Steven says the church is correct about how the universe came to be? If you think that then you need to reread the bible. He is simply agreeing that there was a moment of creation as apposed to everything always having existed as it currently is. Besides, everyone knows the earth is only 6000 years old =D j/k Hurray for gravity for its existence allowed the creation of everything out of nothing! If you read Steven’s most recent book you will see that he admits there is no need to add the extra sep of "god making the universe" since it would have happened anyway. I hope that sufficiently crushed your warm and tingly delusions….though probably not.

December 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

see above quote from guapo to complete my entry. Im glad you included it, i wasnt going to search.

December 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
    • Dallas5superrings

Goupo, try this on for size and go back to school. Your ignorance is showing a great deal.

"As we shall see, the concept of time has no meaning before the beginning of the universe. This was first pointed out by St. Augustine. When asked: What did God do before he created the universe? Augustine didn't reply: He was preparing Hell for people who asked such questions. Instead, he said that time was a property of the universe that God created, and that time did not exist before the beginning of the universe."
      Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time

December 30, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
    • .Guapo.

Riiiiiiight....do you even know the definitions to all those big words on the page? Hawkins is quoting Augustine. Man I can see your little fundy fingers furiously typing into google to find a quote thats pro god from an important person. Like that matters.

More to the point what does Stephen Hawkins opinion matter one way or the other whether or not your magic sky wizard exists or not? Proof please.

December 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  9. Frank

How is this crap CNN newsworthy? Seriously, when did blogs, people's personal diaries, etc., become news instead of actual news. This woman is pathetic. And CNN – shame on you for putting crap like this on your site.

December 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  10. Kelly

Thank you, Lysa for a wonderful post! CNN... Would love to read more posts by Lysa!

December 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  11. Kelly Ann

Lysa,

This really stood out to me:

"I was relying on food to be my comfort, my ever present help, my guide, the thing that got me through the valleys and the first thing I wanted to celebrate with in the good times. Honestly, I might as well have taken Psalm 23 and replaced the Lord’s name with various food choices."

I know for sure I do that. Food can be such a strong addiction. I want to learn how to run to God as my comfort, God as my help, my guide, my go-to for every emotion, every high and low. I honestly am not sure I know how to do that yet, or, perhaps I would have already. And I'm in full-time ministry, too!

Even so, how wonderful that He loves me so. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus – his love and affection are so ever-present, so real. Even if I continue to seek food and struggle with addictions of all kinds for the rest of my life, I'm certain that his grace is enough, and that there's nothing I can do to separate me from his love.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the "how". Off to spend time specifically in Psalm 23. But I need to put down these tortilla chips and salsa first.

December 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  12. Elaine M Rau

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He sent his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." This means that God, the creator of the universe, loves you more than you can imagine and wants you to spend eternity with Him. Yes, to many people this sounds like a "fairy tale". For those readers, I would challenge you to pick up a Bible and read the New Testament while asking God to reveal His truth to you. You should also visit a Bible believing church (one that accepts the Bible as the word of God) while asking the same question. Life is short – eternity is forever. You owe it to yourself to thoroughly check out the God of the Bible and his Son Jesus and decide for yourself if He is real or not. God loves you but He also gave us free will to choose our own beliefs." For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." John 3:17. God loves you and is waiting for you to turn to Him.

December 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
    • Teske

Amen!!

December 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
    • Kim

Very well put, Elaine!

December 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  13. Mark

@Mr Sniffles....

Someone point me to the freaking evidence. So far I've been told about "enormous" amounts of evidence. I've been told about "mountains" of evidence, but I've yet to see any. By the way, we don't have theories of gravity. We have laws of gravity. We don't have theories of aerodynamics, we have laws. Quit confusing the two.

The one and only reason you don't "see" any supporting evidence for creation is because you have your eyes too tightly shut. Open em up. If you have your mind made up before hand, well of course your not going to see it.

December 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
    • .Guapo.

AHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! And there you have it folks. The clichéd its only a theory statement! Wow! I was waiting to see how long it would take you to reach this point and let me tell you, you didnt dissapoint. Scientific theory is the pinnacle of testable scientific claims which includes laws and hypothesis. Far from the laymans use of theory. The circle is complete, you are exposed and are severely lacking the most basic comprehension of science. And for a parting gift I give you this:

In the sciences, a scientific theory comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena.[1]

December 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Mark
      No transitional fossils have ever been found?
      Here's a short list of the transitional fossils found for the lineage of Ho.mo Sapiens:
      Australopithecus Afarensis – several found in ethiopia by multiple people in the last 40 years.
      Australopithecus Africanis – several in South Africa in the mid 20th century
      Ho.mo Erectus – China, 1986
      Ho.mo Habilis – Kenya, 1973
      Australopithecus Sediba – Kenya, 2008
      Ho.mo georgicus – Georgia, 2001
      Ho.mo ergaster – Kenya, 1975
      Ho.mo heidelbergensis, Spain, Italy and Ethiopia over several decades

These bones are real, tangible exhaustively studied evidence. The old cry of "where's the missing link!" is invalid as we unearth more and more of them – and for every Piltdown man there are dozens of legitimate specimens.

December 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

Here is some evidence you wont understand without research. Just from 90 seconds off the top of my head in case you missed my reply above. You should really read On the Origin of Species or anything about island biogeography.

I suppose the fact that phylogenetic trees based off of molecular data and fossil evidence matching almost perfectly means nothing to you. Or transitional fossils such as archeafructus. How about vestigial structures? How about adaptability of viruses and why we make new vaccines every year. How about all of the examples of co-evolution (flowers perfectly shaped for certain moth species)? How about the simple mathematics behind population genetics that agree with observation? How about the concept of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium? How about the common characteristics between our genetics and the genetics of a plant? I’m sure its just random chance that we are so similar to primates and other mammals. what about the loss of eyesight in cave dwelling animals? What about gaining the ability to see colors in brightly colored fish species? What about the evidence for se-xual selection in birds of paradise? God just did that to confuse you. That’s just off the top of my head in 90 seconds. Oh, and my personal favorite, the salt water iguanas. You are incredibly ignorant. Creationists are special

December 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Doc Vestibule
      @Mark
      No transitional fossils have ever been found?
      Australopithecus Africanis – several in South Africa in the mid 20th century
      Ho.mo Erectus – China, 1986
      Ho.mo Habilis – Kenya, 1973
      Australopithecus Sediba – Kenya, 2008
      Ho.mo georgicus – Georgia, 2001
      Ho.mo ergaster – Kenya, 1975
      Ho.mo heidelbergensis, Spain, Italy and Ethiopia over several decades
      -----------------
      Doc, have you seen these bones? Have you handled them? If not, once again, you are taking someone's word for it! You are using faith that all this is true! Same with evolution you are using FAITH that it is true!! My question is where is the LIVING missing link?? No atheist has answered that yet! How do we know these bones don't belong to apes that died 100 years ago? I can't just take YOUR word for it, right?

December 30, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  14. Lisa B

I did not read every single blog comment – however – I read enough and in scrolling down to leave my comment I saw Santiago's comment which echo's my own thoughts – bravo – I am still going to pray for the empty hearted,faithless people who Christ died for and yet who have absolutely no clue to what they are rejecting or saying.

I am proud to be counted among those who are considered "brainwashed" – I have never felt more sure or clear or free since I have come to have a personal relationship with the Creator of the Universe and the Savior of my soul and the one who made me to Crave that relationship with Him.

You Go Lysa – I am so proud that you were picked to share on this blog – I am happy to be aligned and affiliated with those who stand for Truth and are willing to share it and take whatever comes. Thank you for sharing your heart and your wisdom. Better to be a fatty in a pew bound for Heaven ~- than a skinny lost soul who realizes the Truth but only after it is too late.

December 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
    • Bill

"I have never felt more sure or clear or free since I have come to have a personal relationship with the Creator of the Universe"

What does he look and sound like? Is he even a he? I'm serious, all of the faithful speak about their "close personal relationship" with god. If you have that close of a relationship, surely you know what he looks and sounds like.

December 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
    • Tyler Rowan

@Bill

He looks like: a sunset, a mountain, a newborn baby...look at anything in nature to see Him. He looks like you, like me, like the homeless beggar living downtown.

He sounds like: a quiet whisper in the heart that tells us, "He is here, He is real, He is love." He sounds like the words in His Book.

Trying to understand what God looks like, sounds like, or what knowing Him feels like without taking the leap of faith to believe in Him is like trying to comprehend the unconditional, self-sacrificing love of a parent for his or her newborn babe. You can never truly understand the majesty of it until you experience it (or Him).

December 30, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
    • I'm A Believer

Wow Tyler, beautifully written. Actually it brought tears to my eyes. I think even believers sometimes fail to see God in everyday things. He is Almighty, but he's in the small things too. But unless you do have a relationship with him, unless you've understood a portion of his mercy, or felt the touch of the Holy Spirit, it is very hard to understand who God is. I feel compassion for those who are acting out on this blog and bashing God, especially since they have never experienced him. It's like they're crying out for help. Again, nice words Tyler. God bless you!

January 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  15. Christine

Wonderful message! I just got your book and I can't wait to read it!

December 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  16. Michelle

Lisa, as you read the negative comments, just recognize who the real enemy is. God is awesome and reigns. He has plans for you to reach out to hurting women and to help in this touchy area for us. You go, Girl!!!!!! If He's behind you, then whom shall you fear??? 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • Bill

"If He's behind you, then whom shall you fear???"

Don't drop the soap!

December 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  17. Mark

@Guapo..

"There are mountains of evidence. Genetics alone proves evolution without even looking at one fossil".

Still waiting for that evidence. You keep tossing out that word, proof. Evolution proves this.....science proves that. There is no PROOF of any such thing. Only opinions from anti-God, humanistic scientists interpreting the very same data that creationist scientists have reviewed. There is no proof, only your opinion. It's a good thing you don't want to rely on your fossil "evidence" because there is none. Not even ONE. Your very own evolutionist scientists ADMIT that there aren't any. No intermediate fossil forms.....none. Genetics suggests exatly the opposite of what you imply. Studies on genetics have suggested that we come from one pair of individuals from a RECENT past.

Next?

December 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • .Guapo.

So much fail in your post. To point out each ignorant failure would take all day. Go educate yourself with sources not tainted by delusionist propaganda. Maybe then you can speak properly with us.

December 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Bill

"Studies on genetics have suggested that we come from one pair of individuals from a RECENT past."

Is that what they teach you at the creationist museum? Because that is now what I learned in my molecular biology classes.

December 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

I suppose the fact that phylogenetic trees based off of molecular data and fossil evidence matching almost perfectly means nothing to you. Or transitional fossils such as archeafructus. How about vestigial structures? How about adaptability of viruses and why we make new vaccines every year. How about all of the examples of co-evolution (flowers perfectly shaped for certain moth species)? How about the simple mathematics behind population genetics that agree with observation? How about the concept of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium? How about the common characteristics between our genetics and the genetics of a plant? I’m sure its just random chance that we are so similar to primates and other mammals. what about the loss of eyesight in cave dwelling animals? What about gaining the ability to see colors in brightly colored fish species? What about the evidence for se-xual selection in birds of paradise? God just did that to confuse you. That’s just off the top of my head in 90 seconds. You are incredibly ignorant.

December 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
    • Mr. Sniffles

Mr. "The Earth Is 6000 years old, Stupid", I hope you don't mind me calling you Mr. Stupid for short.

Mr. Stupid, everything you list is answered by evolutionary theory quite nicely. None of it debunks evolution of proves creationism, god, or a 6,000 year old earth.

December 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
    • Luis Wu

It's really amazing that there are still morons around that don't believe in evolution. They don't believe in modern science but they DO believe in archaic old myths written thousands of years ago by members of a primitive culture. It's just so pathetic.

December 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

Dont let my name fool you, i have had it for a while and did not change it for this conversation. I was indeed listing evidence FOR evolution. =D

December 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

Mr stupid...that was a good one. Actually had me laughing out loud.

December 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
    • Mr. Sniffles

Whoops! I missed the irony. Feell free to call me Mr. Stupider.

December 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  18. Reality

The Smithsonian magazine, December, 2010 has an excellent review on how our current-day birds evolved from dinasours. Might also want to check National Geographic Genographic project which uses DNA to trace us back to the first humans.

" DNA studies suggest that all humans today descend from a group of African ancestors who about 60,000 years ago began a remarkable journey. Follow the journey from them to you as written in your genes”.

"Adam" is the common male ancestor of every living man. He lived in Africa some 60,000 years ago, which means that all humans lived in Africa at least at that time.

Unlike his Biblical namesake, this Adam was not the only man alive in his era. Rather, he is unique because his descendents are the only ones to survive.

It is important to note that Adam does not literally represent the first human. He is the coalescence point of all the genetic diversity."

December 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  19. Steve the real one

I am always amazed at the lengths folks will go to attempt to always challenge anyone's faith on the BELIEF BLOG! I know they have every right to blog here, alI I am saying is they jump into the BELIEF BLOG instead of the NON BELIEF BLOG (if one even exists)! They will easily believe the earth is millions of years old (without proof, they claim carbon dating yet time after time carbon dating has been proven to be problematic). So, without evidence, logic, or reason they take someone's word for it and fully embrace it! YET, when Christians do the same with their faith, atheists suddenly require proof! Smells like a severe case of DOUBLE STANDARD to me! I want an atheist to provide proof of evolution! Where is the monkey-man? Where is the reptile that is halfway developing into a bird-like creature? Maybe they will tell us evolution is a syncronized event and hiding from us today! One again, Faith is belief without evidence. Just as an Atheist chooses to believe in evolution, without evidence! I choose to trust in my God and His Son Jesus because He has more than proven Himself to me! If an atheist can provide undisputable evidence of evolution, you may have my attention. Until then I am happy believing in my God and His creation story! Dear atheist, you will never change my mind! Hopefully one day God, thru Christ will change yours!

December 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • Mr. Sniffles

Allow me to say it again: we comment because this blog regularly has articles on athiesm, like the one a few days ago on the athiest billboard in New York, or the one on the athiest view of December. Those blogs are filled with the hate-filled comments and open persecution of seculars by "loving" Christians.

We have every right to counter inappropriate invasion into our lives of religion, like the demand that our children are forced to learn a fraudulent theory called "intelligent design" in school. Or insisting that Harry Potter somehow be Christian.

We hope that the kinder of you are not taken by hucksters who use god and Christianity to foist their snake oil on you.

Your comments on evolution are wildly inaccurate, more vitriolic rant than reality, so I won't bother to comment.

December 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Funny thing is, when this section of the site was first announced, a lot of us said it was a bad idea and asked specifically where our section on non-belief would be located. We were told that this would be an even-handed treatment of these issues, but I think I'm justified in saying that hasn't been the case.

December 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
    • Bill

"They will easily believe the earth is millions of years old (without proof, they claim carbon dating yet time after time carbon dating has been proven to be problematic). "

No scientist has ever used carbon dating to support an estimation of earth's age. C14 radiocarbon dating only measures organic matter, and is only accurate to about 40,000 years. There is whole ton of other scientific measures and data used to calculate the age of the earth, but since your mind obviously is already made up, I wont bother you with all that boring sciencey stuff.

December 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Mr. Sniffles,
      I would honestly love to hear your take on evolution! You are correct that there is hatred from "my side" to yours and that is regretable. Yet you say absolutely nothing to address the hatred from "your side" to mine! I am not asking you to apologize for it! I am however, asking you to at least acknowledge that it exists! You don't want your chlidren to study Intelligent design, OK! I don't want ours to be forced to HAVE to study a fraudulent theory called "evolution" in school either! OK looks like a draw! So where do we go from here? Why not look at both (seems fair, right)? As for Harry Potter being a Christian (good bad or otherwise) somebody was stirring the pot to sell a book! Never saw an HP movie, never read an HP book so to the best of my knowledge, Potter never metions Christ! "your side" was just as excited about that article as "my side". We all got worked up over fiction! As far as hucksters go, they pose as Christians, atheists, and everything in between! Do you not agree? Share your thoughts with me on evolution! Seriously and honestly looking forward to hearing what you have to say! All I ask is you provide clear, undisputed proof! That is exactly what you ask of me!

December 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
    • Steve the real one

SeanNJ, The few posts dealing with atheism that have appeared have been almost universally negative and condescending. As a result, we're forced to make our postion clear in the comments.
      ---------
      The VERY same argument is made for your side's take on Christianity! while you maybe addressing specific articles, I am addressing the typical atheist's response to a Christian who blogs! Also very negative and condescending!

December 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
    • Steve the real one

@Bill since your mind obviously is already made up, I wont bother you with all that boring sciencey stuff. Feel free to go ahead believing that men rode dinosurs, a talking snake fed eve an apple, and the earth is 6000 years old. Stupid is as stupid does.
      ---------
      Let me state this. You believe in an event you never witnessed (evolution) recorded and explained by people you never met! So do I (the creation and the Bible)! I don't know if the earth is 6000 years old as the Bible does not specifically state, NOR do you! You believe "all that boring sciencey stuff" is true, because that is what someone told you. Same with me, Someone told me about the goodness of God and I believed it! Stupid has nothing to do with it and I am not sure why you decided to go that route but its ok! I will continue to believe, don't need your permission to do so but thanks anyay!

December 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Steve
      Science does not require faith!
      People shouldn't believe in science because a book or a scientist told them something. By it's very nature, science INVITES skepticism. Publically presenting a new theory is asking everybody in the world to test the veracity of the claim. A proper thesis details the steps taken and encourages anyone and everyone to repeat the process and see for themselves. Or, better yet, go at the issue with a new approach that everyone can use and repeat to get quantifiable results. If two differing methods give teh same results, the theory is more sound.

The bible actively discourages inquiry. Religion says "The answers are all in this book. Do not look anywhere else for answer upon pain of eternal hellfire." Scare tactics to enforce ignorance, nothing more.

December 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Doc Vestibule
      @Steve
      Science does not require faith!
      -------
      Doc,

if you believe in evolution you are using faith! You believe it when someone proclaims any evidence that support that theory! I didn't witness Noah's ark yet through, faith I believe it! I never saw Jesus on the cross, yet through faith I believe it. I am assuming you believe in evolution! You never witnessed it yet you believe it is true. You have faith that what some say is "evidence" is true! You ARE using faith!

December 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Steve the real one

The reason intelligent design is not taught in your schools is that your courts, using your system of government's due process, have determined that it is *not* science! It may be discussed in a course about religion or believes. All "you" have to do to get ID accepted as science is meet the same standards that all accepted scientific theories have met. Or openly support the USA becoming a theocracy (through peaceful non-violent use of the available due process). But I suspect "you" could not find scientists with enough guts (belief?), or stupid enough, to subject ID and religion to such an open and public review.

December 31, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • I'm A Believer

That was perfectly said "Steve the real one". I agree 100% with you!

January 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  20. LB

This is an amazing article. The hateful comments break my heart, but I know that Christ is full of love and forgiveness, a kind of unconditional love that we could never fully understand. If God could fit into our ideas about life and the universe and how things should be, would he be God? Lee Strobel is an awesome author for skeptics.

December 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm |