home
RSS
December 30th, 2010

My Take: When the fat girl got mad at God

Editor's Note: Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food. Lysa blogs daily at www.lysaterkeurst.com.

By Lysa TerKeurst, Special to CNN

Three years ago I was stuck in a rut of wishful thinking and excuses with my weight loss. At the beginning of each day I would say I wanted things to be different. I would vow in my heart to make things different. I would even make a plan to stop the snacks, increase the veggies, and say no to the desserts.

But then life would happen. And the excuses were so very plentiful. So, my resolve would melt away like butter on a hot yeast roll.

Of course the next morning I would always get up and weigh myself hoping that somehow magic would have happened over night. Despite my indulgences from the day before, maybe just maybe the numbers would have gone down.

But the scale was not impressed with my wishful thinking. So you know who I’d get mad at?

God.

I’d beg God to help me one minute while scarfing down an order of fries the next. And then I’d be doubly mad He didn’t steer my car away from the drive-thru.

I deemed myself a victim of tragic genetics, overactive taste buds and a stomach that demanded large portions.  What I failed to realize for years is there was a much more significant issue going on with me.

More important than the ever increasing size of my jeans was the deception going on inside my heart. My weight was outside indication of an internal situation. There was a crucial spiritual situation that needed to be addressed.

I was relying on food to be my comfort, my ever present help, my guide, the thing that got me through the valleys and the first thing I wanted to celebrate with in the good times. Honestly, I might as well have taken Psalm 23 and replaced the Lord’s name with various food choices.

My proper little Christian self would have never expressed that out loud. But my body wouldn’t keep secrets. I had an issue. And the ever increasing size of my body demanded the REAL issue be addressed.

I don’t write to point out anyone else’s issue. There are certainly medical situations that can cause weight gain. But my issue was truly a spiritual one. And no diet would have ever been permanently successful until I got to the real root of my problem.

The root of my issue was craving food more than God. I desired and depended on the instant high of physical gratification because I hadn’t learned how to let God satisfy my deepest needs.

God wasn’t causing my weight issues as some sort of cruel consequence for my poor choices.
God was actually the very thing I needed to help overcome my issues.

Dr. Floyd Chilton who teaches at Wake Forest University of medicine wrote an article that said, "Your willpower is in constant battle with your genes and your calorie-excessive environment. Often your best efforts are no match for your genes and environment which is why so many diets fail so miserably... Will power alone is not enough to bring about this change; start by realizing that can not do this alone. If you are a person of faith, use that connection to help you change."

So, I set out to understand what the Bible says about how to consume food without food consuming me. I started in Genesis and read through the Bible with an appetite for truth rather than chocolate, chips and cheeseburgers. This was a spiritual journey that yielded great physical benefits. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months but more importantly, I have kept it off for nearly two years. That’s a first for me!

Now, I sense my weight issue was actually a gift in disguise. I never thought I’d say that. And yes, three years ago I would have rolled my eyes at someone saying that too.

But I don’t say it as a Pollyanna lollipop girl with too much air between her ears and no cellulite on her hiney.
I know this is a tough issue. I’ve walked through the tears and the feelings of failure. Remember, I was the fat girl mad at God about this whole deal. So, hear me out.

Learning to turn to God to fill my soul instead of food to overstuff my emptiness, has changed more than just my jeans size. It has changed my outlook on life. I did lose the extra weight I needed to shed and kept it off. But the real reward was what I gained with Jesus in the process. He became the best part of my journey. And I wouldn’t have missed this new found closeness I now have with Him for anything in world.

“For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food,” Romans 14:17-20.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Lysa TerKeurst.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Food • God • Opinion

soundoff (1,314 Responses)
  1. Lyndie

I apologize for not reading ALL the Comments. The majority of The One's who choose to not Believe GOD working in our lives daily - I am sad for you all and is it polite to call YOU delusional? Though Weight is not my issue right now, Lysa speaks of not what you think is true, but what she and alot of other think and know - GOD is real! I myself am married and my husband was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer in July - He was not given the best news once we had found it spread. With setting all aside and giving all to GOD, as of today The Cancer is shrinking and began shrinking before his treatment began. He has had no major side effects and is going back to work - You know why? GOD. Yes it is true even as hard as you close minded people want to not believe – He is here and working in all our lives daily! I will pray for all of you that left your negative comments - you know...the ones that just sound of no knowledge and just unhappy with your own self that you bash others who speak and speak such great words to not only empower themselves but empower others - I admire you Lysa and with you book you have changed my life - I thank you for being my friend in Chirst - Lyndie

January 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

Lyndie-
      Sure, you can call us delusional, but can you demonstrate why you think we are as effectively as we can demonstrate that you are, actually, the ones who are delusional?

You call us 'close-minded' because we have come to believe that God does not exist, but does that mean that you are equally close-minded for believing the opposite? At least we generally admit that new evidence, or any evidence for that matter, would change our opinions. Can you say the same? Is there anything that you can imagine that would change your mind? If not, then your mind is already 'closed', right?

Again why characterize all disagreement as 'bashing'? We all feel free to criticize any and all other avenues of belief from politics, to sports, to economics and even science. Is the christian faith so fragile that it must be protected from any and all criticism? Perhaps this is just your insecurity showing through?

January 6, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Lyndie

NL – You are absolutely right! In my most distressed days I have for sure given into the Devil allowing em to think there no such thing...I mean young children getting cancer and passing before they even can walk - Attending a funeral of a best friend that passed away for no other reason than a jealous boyfriend at the age of 16 - My Husband, my best friend being diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer at the age of 35 - YES, I have many times thought there might not be a GOd and even writing it and seeing itmakes me sick to my stomach. So NL I am not close minded and have just chosen to believe and know there is aGOD that works in my life daily along with others that I love.

As for your "bashing" comment – is your head just full of so many thuoghts that you forget so soon what you posted soon after this people started responding to lysa's article – Here is a refresher:

"Hi everyone,

Thank all you believers for giving me this most excellent opportunity to reply to your posts. It has truly been wonderful sharing my atheistic beliefs with you all. I only wish that I had more time today to get to you all.

Take care, think about what I've said, and try to limit how much hurt you cause with your beliefs. See you tomorrow. Pleasant dreams."

This to me is not is not characterized as a "dissagreement" it is crude comment and in your hopes to fire up someone respond and start a back and forth banter with you - It's childesh and sick as well - it leads me to not want to read anymore of your thoughts. Though I dont know you, i will pray for you and all the others that do not believe, just as you all hope once day we will all throw in our towels and say there is no GOD. I wish you luck on your journey and will respect anyone's choice, but as long as they respect ours as well!

Have a Blessed Day 🙂

January 6, 2011 at 11:15 am |

Lyndie
      I asked if there were any evidence that would change your mind. You said that you sometimes have doubts, but that you still fall back into the fold every time. These are not the same thing. You are describing how you actually get angry at God, not how you actually might learn that he really doesn't exist. See the difference?

Sorry, but I do see how some Christians hurt others in the way they practice their faith. Right now Christian opposition to stem cell research will probably result in millions of unnecessary deaths because it will delay, not stop mind you, medical advancements. I think of all the pain caused to the gay community due to Christian bias, and of the pain caused by protests outside of military funerals. Is it actually 'hateful' to wish believers to consider the kind of pain they would be causing before they act?

January 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ I DO NOT agree with the military protesters! That is definatly a case that needs to be STOPPED! I love our soldiers and what they have done , do do, and will do for us!
      I am and always have been pro life, even when I did not know God.

January 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

Tammy Grisham-
      I have the greatest respect for the military as well. All of Phelps' protests are beyond the pale, but he knows the law. So how do you propose stopping him?

January 8, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ That is a good question, he does need stoped! I am hoping some does soon, it is so wrong! Our Soldiers are high priority in our home!

January 8, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  2. Tree

Jesus,
    I thank You for Lysa's courage to come here and share Your goodness and revelation to help her overcome this issue of inner hurting and healing that could only come through Your Word. I pray for each person here pro and con alike that You reveal Yourself to them. You are the only One who can bring Truth through Holy Spirit. Tthank You for Lysa who is a willing vessel to share what You have done in her life! I praise You Jesus for the vicotries in her life and I pray blessings over her and each person pro or con with a deeper intimacy with You Abba and deeper healing in their lives as well as mine. This has really brought me hope and has encouraged me, for that I am forever grateful for my sister Lysa. In the Mighty Name of Jesus I pray... Amen! God Bless You all! ~Tree~<3

January 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  3. rebecca hockley

thank you lysa. i heard you on klove today and you are right, its gonna take a lot of prayer and maturityto make it through some of these comments. but i know you can. i wish you all the best and will pray for all of those who don't see the light.

January 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  4. Chelsea

How about looking for a picture of "overweight", "cellulite on her hiney" Lysa?? There doesn't appear to be any photos of her looking pudgy. Was she really ever fat?

Maybe this is just a ruse to sell books?

January 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • NL

Ah, someone thinking like a skeptic, or at least like a consumer not wanting to be cheated.

January 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Chelsea

Yes, NL I will proudly take up the mantle of "skeptic". The phrases "cellulite on my hiney" and "fat girl" are not backed up in any way by the author. Lysa would do well to post some pictures of herself in this sad state. It would at least start her on the path to credibility.

This is part of the whiny, self-deprecating persona she has advanced here in Charlotte.

Women would do best to take a pass on the drivel.

January 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • NL

I don't live were you guys do, so I'm not familiar with the author's image, but photos of the 'before' are pretty standard in weight loss programs so I think you have a genuine concern if they have not been provided. "Extraordinary claims require..." and all that.

All I'm familiar with is that Valerie Bertinelli didn't look all that overweight in her 'before' photos whereas Sara Rue's transformation was obvious, and made for a much better selling point. If the lady actually did lose weight then a photo of her 'before' could only help sell her book, right? I see no reason not to provide one.

January 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Something

According to the article, Lysa lost 25 lbs. There would not be a very dramatic before/after photo.

January 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • NL

If 25 lbs isn't a very impressive result to begin with then why all the hoopla over her weight loss story? Surely millions of American women can tell the same story.

January 6, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Shan

A very honest and straighforward article Lysa – thank you for sharing! This article is simply about a woman of faith repenting of sin and starting to walk in the Lord's will for this area of her life.

January 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  6. Theresa

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." C. S. Lewis
    Thanks for sharing your faith!

January 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Krissy

Lysa,
    Thank you for sharing your story. God uses us as tools and messengers to help others in times of need and support. So Thanks for being my messenger!
    God Bless!

January 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  8. Kayla Sloan

WOW! So much madness since yesterday! Can’t believe the uproar, I couldn’t wait to get back and read some more!
    To Doc, I personally haven’t studied all your references to slavery so I can’t argue with any of those points; So I’ll just say this…just because people in bible days did it, doesn’t mean Christians do. I do have a reverence and respect for my husband, but he in no way “owns” me as his property nor treats me as inferior. Marriage is about a bond and partnership. I believe it goes without being said that Christian customs today are clearly much different than bible times. It seems that’s what you’re referring to: Customs, not the requirements of being a Christian.
    To Crystal from Charlotte: EVEN IF… Lysa was just out to make money (which she most certainly does, and lots of it I’m sure!!!!) it doesn’t even matter!!! The number of people she’s reached and inspired is overwhelming! There are many authors that simply write books for the money, and there’s NOTHING wrong with that!! No matter what her intentions are, and I don’t doubt them for one minute, ultimately its for God’s use anyways! (So funny how things like that work out!)
    To NL….. WOW. ( I could really stop there, but you’re so intriguing.) What does NL stand for? You are obviously extremely adamant about your ideas. I’ve never even encountered someone with such obdurate views! Someone earlier (maybe you, I can’t remember) mentioned that maybe Christians come to this site to hear the views of atheists so that we might get some enlightenment, (?) but I was just curious if that’s your purpose? It seems you do this quite often (couldn’t IMAGINE you being banned from discussion boards)… But why have you made it your goal to argue with believers? If it seems SO juvenile and ridiculous… then WHY BOTHER? Is it really hurting anyone? In my earlier post, I referenced a song called “What If” by Nichole Nordeman, not sure if you’ve read it or not, but I recommend you do. It kinda goes along with one of your posts…
    “If she turns out to be right then evidence supports would have been found & it would be proven. If that happens then I will gladly accept it at truth, but in the meantime I am justified in being skeptical”
    This is understandable, but the sad this is... when the time comes, and God reveals himself, it will be too late..
    Sincerely praying for you

January 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

Glad you're a fan! 😉

"What does NL stand for?"
      They're just initials, nothing cryptic.

"Obdurate" would imply closed-mindedness, right? Adamant, yes, but only because I have thought long and hard about why I reject the notion that God is real and that has instilled a certain confidence in my position that grows ever stronger with every believer I talk with. It's obvious that many Christians lived so sheltered a life within their faith that, when they come here quoting scripture and threatening hellfire, they appear as stunned by it's lack of effect upon us as a priest would be holding up a cross at Edward Cullen.

There are others who ask leading questions, questions about things that seem to genuinely concern them, questions they don't feel at all comfortable taking to their pastors. Those ore the folks I was referring to, and the moderates who like watching from the sidelines, hoping that atheists and the Christian Right cancel each other out, so that they can feel comfortable calling themselves christian in public once again. I sometimes suspect that some posters claiming to be atheists are actually religious folks with an ax to grind against another group not interested in delving into their own beliefs about God.

Some of the remarks here are beyond juvenile, but others are quite worth the trouble of chiming in. Does religion hurt people? Sure, and if I had all day I'd list the ways. Individual believers are about as harmless as people who believe in their horoscopes: It's not really a problem until you come to depend upon it in your everyday decision-making. If a president says that he uses his faith to guide his foreign policy millions of Americans admire him for it. If a president said that he used his horoscope to do the same, these very same millions would join us in concern, right?

but would I really be interested in hearing other people's opinions if I were? Am I interested in converting people? No, at least not to the degree that believers seem to.

"when the time comes, and God reveals himself, it will be too late.."

Yes it would be, but I could just as easily find myself reincarnated as a lesser life form because of my poor karma. You too, but I bet you don't worry too much about that possibility, do you?

January 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ I am a preacher. I am also our Youth Pastor, and believe me NL, the teens tell me things they probably wouldn't tell there own boy/girl friend! But I am open and honest with them and would not tell anyone. But people need someone to talk with. As a Pastor I vow to love unconditionally and not judge.
      I was not raised a Christian, my parents did not take me to church nor did they go. I did not become a Christian until I finally opened my eyes and heart to Christ! He delivered me from drug abuse, I should have died, he healed me!

January 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Chelsea

Kayla, just because folks express an opinion on the blatant tactics used by Lysa Terkeurst to peddle her books does not mean a person is an atheist or a Christian. Nor does it mean that Satan is behind the comments stated. It simply means her methods are seen for what they are. This book is being tied into her church (Elevation Church) and being promoted heavily by them. Elevation Church in Charlotte uses the same methodology to sell hoodies, music CD's, the pastor's current book and so on.

This is big business cloaked with a thin veneer of religion. Unfortunately, women put their hard earned money down hoping this time they will lose weight because God is invoked.

As to NL...count me as one of your fans!

January 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

Chelsea~ why should you judge people for what they want to spend their money on? I am sure that there are things that you do to improve yourself that people who know you would not agree with!
      We have experinced God, therefore we know and love him. My prayer for you is that you will someday open your eyes, but it has to be ultimately your choice. I have lived not knowing God for years, and now that I do know him, I have never been the same:~)
      I too like NL, and you as well, there is no hate. We should all be able to get along.

January 6, 2011 at 9:40 am |

Tammy Grisham-
      Funny, I was raised in a religious home, and always had an interest in religion. Too much of one, I guess, because I've been accused of 'overthinking' the whole thing, if that's even possible. Anyway, I became bothered by the fact that a universe that depended upon God did not make sense and, gradually, it dawned upon me that the reason was because God was no different than any of the other mythical gods. If we went back in time a few hundred years we'd have Scandinavians who felt just as adamant that Thor was real, and no amount of wishful thinking changes that. I consider my switch to atheism to have changed my life for the better. Many believers refuse to accept that simply because it conflicts with what they believe. Basically, they're calling me a lier, yet still claim to follow God's commandments. Weird, eh?

January 6, 2011 at 11:42 am |

Tammy Grisham-
      Do you take all Christians' word at face value? Some believers here seem to, and think that just because the author has an inspirational story to tell it automatically validates the product she is selling. What do you think?

PS- I've been trying to rework a post I've written to you since last night, one that would be accepted by the mods, to no avail. It's truly a mystery and enough to make me lose my religion, if you now what I mean? 🙂

January 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ No, I don't take ALL Christians word at face value, but I do listen, then decide if it relates to my need at that time when it comes to what book I may read, or buy. Just like any other auther Christian or not, Fiction or non people will use their money to buy what ever it is that interests them. If Lysa helps someone with her books, then great they have bettered themselves:~) If they don't want to and chose to buy something else, then great for them:~)

January 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

Tammy Grisham-
      "No, I don't take ALL Christians word at face value, but I do listen"

That's all I can hope for. Be careful of wooden role models. 🙂

January 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ You said that you are rewritting a poast for me? I want to make sure that I don't miss it, please let me know if I did and where it is:~)

January 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Tammy Grisham-
      I've tried, and tried again, but with no success. Time to quit. Alas, the mystery that are the mods! They move in truly mysterious ways.

January 8, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • Tammy Grisham

NL~ Are you speeking of the Mods whom did meth all night and danced or the people who just do what is popular? Christianity has been around for sooo many years.

January 8, 2011 at 9:52 am |

Tammy Grisham-
      No, I speak of the censors who do not allow one to spell a word like 'const.itution' without modifying the word so as not to 't.itillate', I suppose. Check Reality's usual, daily, posts on the subject.

January 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Tell Me

Tammy,

"mod" = moderator (or this blog's automated word-filter moderator which blocks certain words)

January 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  9. JimboJenkins

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

January 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  10. JimboJenkins

What a bunch of fat, lazy, over-indulgers.

January 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Tammy Grisham

I am sure that you over-indulge something Jimbo:~)

January 6, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  11. Kimberly M

NL – I apologize that my words made you feel I was angry. I am not. I truly do not want you or anyone to experience pain. That wasn't the intent of my posting. Learning lesson for me. I will continue to post from time to time but will weigh my words. And I will keep praying for you. God will bless you NL. Thanks NL. And Big Thanks to 'Watchwhatyousay' – good post.

January 5, 2011 at 11:29 am |

Kimberly M-
      Hey, don't you think that the world would be a much better place if more people chose to weigh their words before speaking? And isn't this better, atheist and believer, actually talking together as people and learning each other's point of view? It's moments like this that make me think we might all just have a bright future ahead of us!

Best wishes and stay happy!

January 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  12. Karen

Hi Lysa!

I have heard you on K-Love for the past couple days now, and heard about your story of overcoming your battle with food,a nd wanted to let you know that I share the same story. Once I learned that I was filling my emptiness with food, I consistently prayed for God to fill that void instead, and He did. Of course, as one of the story-bashers said, it did take someaction on my part. The Bible does tell us that faith without action is dead afterall. I couldn't just ask him to make me stop eating so much. To all the bashers, we don't just ask God to do something for us and "poof", He does it...rather it takes many prayers, faith, acting on that faith, and most of all, God's grace.

Lysa is not saying that God is like a genie and grants our petty little wishes, but His word does tell us that He loves us so deeply and wants to give us the desires of our heart as long as they align with His will and purpose. God didn't just help Lysa lose weight to make herself feel better and fit into smaller clothing, but He blessed her with this because she realized her sin of replacing Him with food. When she chose Him over food, He gave her strenghth to overcome it and maintain it. I know this all too well from experience. For years I would try to get over my obsession, I'd go on diets, try to exercise, but it would never last. Those were all actions (on my own) that I would take, but all failed. Only until I realized my sin (called gluttony), confessed it to the Lord, and took action again, did He free me from that obsession. I can tell you it is so strange to not be obsessed with food anymore. I like food, and the taste of it, but don't feel that nasty tug in my mind and heart to eat everything in sight, and in huge portions anymore. I eat my three meals, but the thought of food doesn't consume my mind throughout the day in between meals anymore.

I commend Lysa for sharing her story, but it appears that as always, God's word and his followers will always be persecuted for sharing any wisdom they've gained through His word and son, Jesus Christ.

Any criticism I may get for this will not be read by me, because as the book of 2 Timothy 2:23-25, states, “Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth.”

God bless all of you who read Lysa's article, I pray that you will someday know the Truth of God's word and the love of His son, Jesus Christ. 🙂 And, God bless you Lysa for being so gracious and brave. 🙂

Karen

January 5, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • NL

Depends on if the controversies are actually foolish and/or ignorant, right?

Some posters have outright accused the lady of being a fraud. Then there is the ongoing debate about God being real. Do you consider these topics foolish, or the people on either side ignorant?

January 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  13. Sandra Bowen

Oh, and just suppose what the bible tells us about Heaven is true, wouldn't you rather take a chance on the promise of GOD being right than to be wrong about it all and end up to find out you could have had the promise. Surely, you are smart enough to want more than this life on earth has to offer. However, with Jesus in my life, even life on earth is so BLESSED.
    Just wondering?

January 5, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • NL

Pascal's Wager just never gets old, no matter how many times it's proven to be false. You could play the same game supposing that what they say about pots of gold and rainbows is actually true too, but would you spend your time chasing after every rainbow you saw in the off chance that it might make you rich?

Science and rational thought have made my world much brighter than it was before and I wish more people could experience that too.

January 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  14. Michelle

Ahhhh the hate spewing from the non-believers. It always makes me laugh a little/sad a little when I see them (non-believers) doing the EXACT thing that they accuse and ridicule belivers for doing.

January 5, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • NL

If disagreeing with other people's opinions is hateful then no politician can be innocent of hating their opponent, right? God may not think so, but surely all people are free to express their opinions in America?

January 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
  15. Sandra Bowen

For those that feel the women should keep silent, think about this if it had not been for Mary Magdalene the disciples would have never known Jesus had risen from the grave. And since all the athiest must read the "Greatest Book ever written–THE BIBLE" surely must have read this scripture:Mark 16. No, women should not keep silent, no one should keep silent about our LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST, the one who was born, lived and died for our wrong doings (sin) and the promise of a much ,much better life in HEAVEN. SHOUT IT OUT SISTER, it is so good to know they are listening. YES, LORD, they are seeking, they just don't know it. YES,YES,YES.

January 5, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • NL

Paul has an opposing view of women's rights to speak freely and, Unfortunately, his opinion usually trumps Jesus' in the gospels.

January 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  16. Wani

There are SO many women (including me) who can relate to this. The ups and downs of the scale are a struggle for many of us. And we want diets to be the answer because they are easier to deal with than actually addressing our inner issues. I got Lysa's book Made to Crave for Christmas and am eager to read it with some girlfriends to get my heart in the right place and take food off of the pedestal that God belongs on!

January 5, 2011 at 9:23 am |
  17. K

Lysa,
    What an excellent post, and the fact that you've stirred up so many to comment means that you've touched the lives of many. What a blessing to be able to share God's word with so many atheists. I pray that you'll see many of them in heaven as they look back on their lives some day and remember that the "fat girl who got mad at God" struck a nerve that led them to seek the truth. Praise God for giving you the opportunity and the courage to step out in faith and touch so many who do not know Him.
    God Bless,
    K

January 5, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  18. mary schoenbeck

Praise God for His insight and for your willingness to share with us. Gods word is alive and active.

January 5, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  19. syprice

Thank you Lysa for an awesome truth. You keep doing all that God has called you to do... You know your right where God wants you or you wouldn't be getting such an uproar. It's funny to see how these people are acting just like God said they would in the in times... 2Timothy 3 2 Timothy 3
    1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
    6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.
    God will protect you, guide you and bless you for being bold in your witness... I will continue to pray for your ministry, and Thank you.. for God never told us women to stop helping other women.... You have blessed me.

January 5, 2011 at 8:34 am |

syprice-
      "6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires,"

And you think that this applies to atheists?

"5 They will act as if they are religious" Does that sound like atheists to you?

"6 They are the kind who work their way into people's homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by many desires."

Desires like the love of food? Hmmm...

If gaining sway over impressionable women is something to be cautious of then why shouldn't people be wary of Lysa TerKeurst?

January 5, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  20. Adrian

I loved this article, am a subscriber to your daily blog, and can't wait to read the book. May God continue to bless you in all that you set your hands to do.

January 5, 2011 at 6:45 am |