home
RSS
January 15th, 2011

Giffords' rabbi: 'what really matters in this world: love, justice, truth, and shalom'

From Pamela Sellers, CNN

Members of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Gifford's synagogue met Friday night for the first Jewish sabbath services since she was wounded in a shooting attack one week ago that left six people dead and 13 others wounded.

Rabbi Stephanie Aaron of Congregation Chaverim used the occasion to call for the renewal of the Tucson community and to urge members to reject violence and hatred.

"Remember that we are tied to what really matters in this world: love, justice, truth and shalom," Aaron said, wrapping her finger in a long white tassel of her prayer shawl as she spoke.

"Shalom" means "peace" in Hebrew.

Giffords is a member of the congregation, as was Gabriel Zimmerman, the congresswoman's director of community. Both were shot in an attack during a constituent meeting outside a Safeway grocery store on January 8.

Despite being shot in the head at close range, Giffords survived the attack. Zimmerman died, along with a federal judge, a 9-year-old girl and three others.

Federal prosecutors have charged 22-year-old Jared Loughner with murder, attempted murder and attempting to kill a member of Congress in the January 8 attack.

More than 100 members of the small Tucson congregation, along with some members of Giffords' family, arrived at the temple Friday night to warm greetings and hugs before the two-hour service.

Aaron told congregants that she had visited Giffords in the hospital just hours earlier, issuing her a new Hebrew name and quietly whispering a prayer meant to bring the "light of healing" to the congresswoman, who remains in critical condition at a Tucson hospital.

She repeated the prayer Friday night.

"This is a week of terrible pain, and terrific loss," Aaron said. "We need to pray that our precious Gabby has a complete return to wholeness."

She also spoke passionately against violence and intolerance, quoting Martin Luther King Jr.

"May we live our lives so that we never have to take up weapons," she said, while praying over the sons of congregants, including her own, whom she specifically called out by name.

Members of the congregation were asked to call for special blessings for the group and the Tucson community.

They called for compassion, empathy, courage, health, safety and the ability to "know our neighbors."

At the end of the service, Aaron praised President Barack Obama for coming to Tucson and delivering a memorial speech for victims of the attack.

"What an incredible mensch he was to do all that and to reach out to our community and to the world," she said.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Arizona • Houses of worship • Judaism • United States

1. proud convert

listen... i'm sick of people questioning if Giffords is "really" a Jew. Seriously, the woman is a huge supporter of Israel, working with AIPAC, so who cares as long as she supports Jewish causes in DC. i am the daughter of a Jewish father & a Christian mother. i converted. no offense, but we shouldn't be so picky about who is/isn't a Jew. The last time I checked Jews are 1% of the world's population. To whoever made the comment about diluting Judiasm, most converts know more than observant people!

January 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  2. joe in TN

The Rabbi – or teacher – makes a simple point. Peace, love, truth and Justice are stronger than fear, intolerance and hatred. This is a message I far prefer to hear over the pathetic simpering and whining that I have read in several posts here so far. I would recommend that if this pi**es you off, you unplug, put the bong down, and get out of moms basement awhile

January 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  3. Miriam Hamsa

My comment didn't post as a reply. I've been saying the same things about people who are so distraught about the Palestinian situation, but have no problem living on land in the US that was taken through shenanigans, force and genocide. Charity starts at home!

January 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  4. Mark From Middle River

Face The Truth – Step back and stop being a Lurker or someone who only comes here every blue moon. There is a reason I capitalized the "R" in Reality. It is because it is the handle/usernmae of a fellow blogger here on the Belief Blog.

I would be mad with you for being so not caught up but I like your spirit in your post.

No harm.

January 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  5. Ralph M.

It is unfortunate that all these comments turned into a Jewish-Palestinian game. There are about 7 million Jews living in Isreal. There are about 500 million Arabs living beyond Isreal. If the Arabs would use one tenth of the energy they exert against Isreal into making things better for themselves, the living standard would be great. If all Israeliswent away, the land would be returned to desert in a few years.

God bless and care for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and guide her to a speedy and full recovery. The news media says the shooter may have a mental problem. Ha! All those who up and shoots someone has a mental problem – certainly!

So bad that talented and very useful people are destroyed by nobodies who contribute nothing to society!

January 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Tom S

Word up.

January 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • ElCantante7

Right on Ralph...

January 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  6. Leon Jaeger

I agree, let,s hope the Palestinians get some peace.

January 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • jane

Hey Leon, how about giving some "peace" to those persecuted in the Islamic world?

January 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  7. daaaave

Ms. Giffords is not Jewish. Her father was a Jew but her mother was not, which makes her a gentile. I wish her a speedy recovery but I can't understand how this so-called 'Rabbi' can give a non-Jew a new Hebrew name.

January 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • fed123

I remember that my fiance and I set a date for our wedding in June. An orthodox rabbi stopped as he was passing my home and asked what the date was, I told him. He told me that was not possible as it was a Jewish holiday. I checked with my rabbi and he said that there was no problem. When the old rabbi stopped by a few days later, I told him that my rabbi OK'd the date. He asked where I was getting married and I told him. 'Oh,, he said, I thought you were getting married in a Jewish synagogue.' Of course it was a Reform Temple. Later I became president of an Orthodox synagogue. Nobody asked for my marriage certificate. Or my birth certificate, for that matter.

January 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • wr

Simple, she's a "female rabbi." Obviously, breaking with Jewish faith and violating the tanach is nothing new to her.

January 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Produce Dept

Perhaps she converted to Judaism? Irregardless of blood lines, she presently is a member of the Tuscon congregation and this is all everyone needs to know. Accept it. Deal with it. May she, her family and all the others directly affected by this horrific event find peace and healing.

January 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Katie Loeb

You are incorrect. In the Reformed Jewish movement they "maintain that Judaism and Jewish traditions should be modernized and should be compatible with participation in the surrounding culture. Many branches of Reform Judaism hold that Jewish law should be interpreted as a set of general guidelines rather than as a list of restrictions whose literal observance is required of all Jews." By that criteria any child of a Jewish parent, either mother OR father who is raised within the Jewish faith and SELF-IDENTIFIES as a Jew, is Jewish. My father was Jewish, my mother was Cuban. I'm Jew-ban. My mother dutifully sent me off to Hebrew school, celebrated the holidays in our home, made certain I attended synagogue on holidays and made sure that my father's side of the family raised me within the faith. I'm as Jewish as Gabby Giffords is.

January 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  8. James1

I wonder what Gifford's mailman thinks, or her hairdresser?

January 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  9. J.A. Murphy

Of all the names Barack O'Bama has been called, "mensch" , in all the beauty of its meaning, is no doubt the most right-on!!

January 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • fed123

Amen to that!!!!

January 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • RIALgal

Fed, I second your AMEN!!

January 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Michael Fitzpatrick

O'Bama? Is he Irish now?

January 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  10. Reality

When are the moderators going to add the following to the blog rules? Until then, as a courtesy to all commentators:

Once a day WARNING for new commentators:

• The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. And there is also "r-a-pe", “a-pe” and “gra-pe”, "s-ex", and "hom-ose-xual". You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".

• More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.

Sum Dude routinely updates the list of forbidden words/fragments.
    Two of the most filtered words are those containing the fragments "t-it" and "c-um". To quickly check your comments for these fragments, click on "Edit" on the Tool Bar and then "Find" on the menu. Add a fragment (without hyphens) one at a time in the "Find" slot and the offending fragment will be highlighted in your comments before you hit the Post button. Hyphenate the fragment(s) and then hit Post. And remember more than one full web address will also gain a "Waiting for Moderation".

January 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • wr

One would think that we could simply be treated like adults. This is supposed to be a news forum, not Sesame Street. There are no magic words. But I suppose that is too much to ask.
      This society needs to grow up.

January 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • dxp2718

Thanks so much for the helpful observations and hints!

January 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  11. fed123

RIAL gal: Carole is both. You hit it on the head! Good post.

January 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  12. Zohar Freiberg

Judaism is a matrilineal faith. If Rep. Giffords' mother isn't Jewish, then Rep. Giffords herself isn't!!!

January 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • JiminNM

You are correct,and there are a lot of false Jews throughout the world who have adopted the Jewish faith but are not Jews at all. Revelation 2:9.

January 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Diana

Zohar – she's a reform Jew, and they accept that children with a Jewish father only are free to affiliate themselves with the Jewish faith if they wish. Both my parents are Jewish so it's not an issue for me, but I'm not gonna say that she's not Jewish just because it's her mom and not her dad that is non-Jewish. No offense, but let's get with the modern times.

January 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • fed123

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

January 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Bannister

It's more than just a faith, it's an ethnicity as well. Judaism is a religion but Jews themselves are a PEOPLE. There's a biological component which is why Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen and Howard Stern LOOK like Jews as opposed to looking like Irishmen.

Theologically, you are correct that Judaism is a matrillineal faith. But biologically, a person who is Jewish on their father's side is just as Jewish as a person on their mother's side.

January 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Larry

It is true that now whether you are a Jew or not is matralineal. You may remeber that it was not always so. Besides, Judiasm is a faith just like Protestantism or Catholisism. We welcome converts. If she converted and actually had a panel of rabbi's that included a conservative rabbi, she is recognized by evryone as Jewish except those "ultra" ortodox. If she moves to Israel she is automatically a Israeli. The only thing she cannot do in Israel is be buried in a Jewish cemetary.

January 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • sigmundfreud

@JiminNM

Hint for you, Jim. It is not for a book of the Christian bible to say who or who is not a Jew.

Nor is it for you to say, either.

January 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Tom S

False Jews? Recent DNA studies have shown that nearly all Jews, whether Israeli, European or American are descended from the ancient Israelites. This whole "Khazar" garbage is a myth invented by Arabs in a crude attempt to delegitimize Israel How lame.

January 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Justin Observation

Ha, I suppose there was a spontaneously created first Jewish person who made up that rule? When did people think this stuff up, and why do people still believe it?

January 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • rs1201

Her father was Jewish and she became a Jew in 2001. She may very well have converted to Judaism. What difference does it make whether she's a Jew or a Christian. She's a human being and a very decent one at that. Just wish her a speedy recovery and stop your nasty insinuating comments.

January 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  13. JiminNM

John F Kennedy identified the Khazars as the enemy.

January 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • sigmundfreud

Yes, Jiminnm

I don't suppose you can provide an actual source for that claim? Other than your weird imagination, that is.

January 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  14. Bannister

Any word on whether Jared Loughner's family is Jewish and attended the same synagog as the Giffords? Any word on why Giffords had subscribed to Jared Loughner's Youtube channel?

Why isn't the media following up on these connections?

January 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • fed123

Classmates identified Loughner as a nihilist and atheist, and noted that he was critical of religion.[

January 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Diana

I had seen someone write about the oddness of Giffords "subscribing" to his Youtube channel before (pretty soon after the shooting actually). I don't know if I believe it – seems like a conspiracy theory. I didn't check it out and I don't think there's a way to see who subscribes to Loughner on Youtube without subscribing yourself (and I don't want to even do that). About him being Jewish – also heard it but it's totally unsubstantiated. Ron Kampeas from JTA looked into it (google it) and after thoroughly going through the genealogy records for both parents going back several generations they confirmed that the family isn't Jewish

January 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Bannister

Yes, Loughner was probably an atheist who didn't practice religion at all. However, if his family is Jewish and went to the same synagogue, then THAT is thing that connects Loughner to Gifford. Did they KNOW each other through synagog?

And regardless of religion, why did Representative Giffords subscribe to Jared Lougner's Youtube channel? You think the media would be interested in that.

January 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • rs1201

Loughner is not a Jew. There's some arab with a screen name BiggusDiccus who's been trying to spread the lie that Loughner is a Jew. He's not.

January 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  15. RIALgal

Carole, What is your problem with Rabbi Stephanie? That she's Jewish or that she's a woman or is it both? Are you one of those "Christians" who think spiritual leaders must be men and if they aren't Christian they are nothing?

January 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • RIALgal

Arvshavir, you obviously missed the point of my comment. Actually, I am a fairly liberal Christian who believes women are as qualified to preach and teach as men are. Rabbi does mean teacher, you know. And I will not ridicule anyone's religious beliefs just because they are different from mine. Way too often it's the conservative Christians who seem to think that men are the only ones "qualified" to be religious leaders. Her comment certainly implies that she disapproves of both Judaism and female religious leaders and the tone of her post is bothers me. Any you, of course, are more than welcome to disagree with my comments. We in the US are lucky and blessed that way.

January 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • RIALgal

A couple of typos in my post above but the intent should be clear. We can proofread all day and still miss something!

January 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • And the winner is...

While the modern times would certainly allow for women to take leadership roles in religion there is an irony in it as well. Most all religions at one point in time had much different stances. While I believe that women can spout theology as well as a man can the very fact that they have been accommodated only continues to show the cracks in their arguments. Not unlike the LDS church which stated Black men could never be leaders, until too much pressure from civil rights forced them to change (the same for plural marriage). If a religion has to continue to evolve, which most all do in order to survive this techno-age, it loses much of its validity as it becomes a contradiction of itself as the theology changes.

January 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • RIALgal

Yes, religions must evolve to some degree. The basic tenets, however, remain the same. To the Christian that is that Jesus is the son of God and died for our sins. Obviously not everyone believes that. To me religion is the belief that there is a power greater than man even if one thinks that power resides in natural things and not in the heavens. The universe had to begin somehow. If you accept the "big bang" theory, where did the stuff that created it come from if not from something greater than it?

But I digress. Religion must evolve because the world is constantly changing. The beliefs remain the same but some of the practices have been modified. The things that change, such as the female leaders we've been focusing on, are not critical (in my mind) to the legitimacy of the faith tradition. I don't remember God saying women should not preach. It was a man who said that. Too many of the old laws were man-made laws, not God given laws. God gave us the ten commandments and in the new testament we were given two more which actually summarize the first ten. If we thought nothing should change we would live in a very different world than the one we have today. Evolving and maturing religious practices do not dilute the religion itself.

January 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • And the winner is...

There is no denying that religion must evolve, all have. The must because if what was taught and believed hundreds of years ago was still current no one would follow it, for example look at the major changes of Vatican II during the 1960s. No matter what religion will continue, as such it should evolve a more humanistic approach and will considering it is lead by humans, (whether it has divine beginnings has no effect on the current approach towards religion, it is taught, led by and created/evolved by humans, I have not heard of being making there presence known in the past millennium).
      The problem is that in most cases, such as Christianity, religion is so far diluted and obscured from its beginnings such that it is only a remnant of what it was. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Protestant sects of Christianity, many contradict each other and each says they have the 'right' reading; many of these teach that women should not hold power based on direct readings of the text. Then you have the Orthodox branches and Roman Catholic branch. Many teachings from each directly contradict each other and the Christian god has left it to mans devices to interpret and guess which is right even though in all of the Christian teachings he/she has given man the direct and undeniable route to salvation. How can all be right and yet all wrong at the same time? The evolution of religion has degraded its sanct-ity and validity, and this same principle can be applied to many other religions and these religions, not unlike their sects, teach that all other religions are wrong. With thousands upon thousands of teachings and only one right answer it would appear that god, whomever he/she is and associated with, has taken the approach of Greek mythology and only means for us to be playthings for the omni-beings.
      Your reading is but one among as many as the stars. While Carole's comment/opinion may be offensive to the feminist tract it is no less correct and no more valid than yours.

January 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • RIALgal

Winner, you're absolutely correct about the number of what you call sects. I believe there the number of them is something like 37,000! And yes, there are probably 37,000 interpretations of what the bible really says. That's the beauty of it, though - it speaks to different people in different ways. I frankly am distressed by the idea that only one of those 37K paths is the "right" one. By whose determination?? The bottom line to me is not in the details so much as in the big picture. We get all wrapped up in the nitpicky little things and forget that it's all about love of God and love of our fellow man. If everyone could go along with at least the second idea we would all live in a better world. Our beliefs are important and so is the way we conduct our lives. God knows us far better than we know ourselves and I can just see God looking down on us saying "They just don't get it."

January 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • And the winner is...

RIAL I will cede to you. Many do get far to caught up in the 'details' and miss the larger picture, though this is often what it is taught. Whether with or without religion the love that many religions teach is what the world needs however the striking contrast and battle over right and wrong will more than likely overshadow this need until the end. Since the battle is formed within and between religions the only logical solution is to remove them from the equation. Since that will not happen, the bridges will never mend. The importance of beliefs and how we live our lives is debatable but if I were a god looking down, not only would say 'They just don't get it" but I would be embarrassed and ashamed that this was in my image. How bad must Sodom and Gomorrah have been to be destroyed and yet places like Darfur are allowed to continued unabated and 'unnoticed' among most.
      To state simply, the world is filled with dread and disappointment and heart ache. The evidence's of Gods love that many Christians tout are peanuts next to the crimes committed in third-world countries and even in the dark sides of first-world.
      Nevertheless, I feel that we are not some much arguing a point but finding an uneven truce. The world can be better if we all look at the larger picture, each in our own way, but somehow with the same vision.

January 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • RIALgal

Winner, I thought we were discussing, not arguing!! It's that free will thing and the imperfection of man that will get us every time. Anyhow, if we all practiced what we claim to believe, we would all be better off. And as for those who have no beliefs, just be civil and kind - it really isn't hard to do.

To you, my cyber friend, peace!!

January 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  16. Terri

Violence is the American way. That is why this happened.

January 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Bannister

Nonsense. Violence is the HUMAN way, not the American way. Compare America to Haiti, South Africa, or Brazil and I think you'll find that America is no more violent than many countries.

January 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Jennie

I'm with Bannister here. Violence is part of the human condition; we are all capable of it, sadly enough. But for God's grace any one of us could have grown up under Hitler's Germany, or Stalin's Russia, or killed by Pol Pot, or one of the madmen of North Korea.

January 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • And the winner is...

While violence is certainly part of the human condition look at the numbers. Among so called first-world countries, those with technology, health care, stable government etc. America has one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of violent crimes, gun crimes, etc. I enjoy hunting and recreation shooting as much as the next guy but the need and facts for some control in America speak for themselves. Not unlike our education and health care system, how much longer will America be content with being the laughing stock of the world? American culture, media and society all preach violence and until that changes atrocities will continue to be committed. Money/greed, pride and ignorance, the American spirit, let this happen.

January 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  17. Face of Truth

Mark, I believe you may be a little off center there. Don't worry, your hatred/bigotry will only slow you down, not the rest of us. Hope to see you when you grow up and prepare for the new age.

January 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • allfaith

I understand what Mark was saying. I'm also pretty sure that he had no bad intentions in saying it. Watch for Reality.

January 16, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  18. Mark from Middle River

~Begins counts down to Reality post on how bad the Rabbi is.... not for his statement but that he dares to be a religious figure~

January 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Jeramiah

Mark, I believe the Rabbi is a woman. And what is this countdown to reality?

January 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Reality is the name of one of the atheistic bloggers

January 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • BL

She's a woman, idiot, and what the hell are you talking about?

January 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Sherry

tHE rABBI HAPPENS TO BE A WOMAN AND A SMART ONE AT THAT!!!!

January 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Emily

Rabbi Stephanie Aaron is a woman. She is a great family friend and Rabbi. She performed the wedding ceremony at my parents' wedding and at my aunt and uncle's, and spoke at the funeral for my grandfather. I am thankful the media is using her as a source, and I am blessed to be part of that community.

January 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

Good grief folks. Is there that issue with her being a woman? I thought it was only ultra orthodox Hebrew that did not allow for women to be Rabbis.

I know listened to a lecture o of New York that I thought the lady was an ordained rabbi.

Jerimah – The count down was a joke aimed a person here on the belief blog named "Reality". His or hers normal pratice is that often no matter the subject, good or bad, is that the subject should first renounce their faith. Go back guys, there are a ton of examples of this is past threads.

My joking statement is that Reality and we could just count down to it. So everyone just chill a bit.

January 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  19. Mark from Middle River
    January 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  20. NL

'what really matters in this world: love, justice, truth, and shalom (peace)'

Totally, totally agree! 🙂

January 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • JP

Ironically known of those 4 principals emanating for Israel and Palestinians.

January 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Fred

It's weird. I never thought of her as a religious person until you people had to shove it in my face. Huh. You had plenty of sympathy already.. Oh well.

January 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Sherry

HOW COULD ANYONE DISAGREE WITH THE RABBI"S COMMENTS

January 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • No Fantasies

Entirely agree with the rabbi – especially for 'truth'. All else stands on that.

January 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Bob Bennett

"Shalom" means "peace" in Hebrew.
      YES! we need a whole lot 'peace' in the world... i don't care who comes up w/ it... but i hope someones does.......

January 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • NL

No Fantasies-
      Yes, what passes for 'truth' can be rather sticky.

January 17, 2011 at 12:19 am |