home
RSS
January 22nd, 2011

Sargent Shriver's 'love affair with God'

At Saturday's funeral for Sargent Shriver, son Mark said his father went to Catholic mass daily - even when on the road - and that Shriver's deep religious faith drove his work.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Leaders • Politics

1. Anderson Marques

The arguments of existing of God:

January 27, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  2. Carla J

So, do I understand that becuse I am a Methodist, saved by the grace of God, and baptised, I will not go to heaven, like the athiest ?

January 27, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  3. Muneef

Read sura 02:261 to 281 speaks of us-u-r-y and damages to society as to what Quan says about is...important...

January 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  4. Muneef

CatholicMom.

Hud sura 11:
    And We sent Noah unto his folk (and he said): Lo! I am a plain warner unto you. (25) That ye serve none, save Allah. Lo! I fear for you the retribution of a painful Day. (26) The chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: We see thee but a mortal like us, and we see not that any follow thee save the most abject among us, without reflection. We behold in you no merit above us – nay, we deem you liars. (27) He said: O my people! Bethink you, if I rely on a clear proof from my Lord and there hath come unto me a mercy from His presence, and it hath been made obscure to you, can we compel you to accept it when ye are averse thereto? (28) And O my people! I ask of you no wealth therefor. My reward is the concern only of Allah, and I am not going to thrust away those who believe – Lo! they have to meet their Lord! – but I see you a folk that are ignorant. (29) And, O my people! who would deliver me from Allah if I thrust them away? Will ye not then reflect? (30) I say not unto you: "I have the treasures of Allah" nor "I have knowledge of the Unseen," nor say I: "Lo! I am an angel!" Nor say I unto those whom your eyes scorn that Allah will not give them good – Allah knoweth best what is in their hearts – Lo! then indeed I should be of the wrong-doers. (31) They said: O Noah! Thou hast disputed with us and multiplied disputation with us; now bring upon us that wherewith thou threatenest us, if thou art of the truthful. (32) He said: Only Allah will bring it upon you if He will, and ye can by no means escape. (33) My counsel will not profit you if I were minded to advise you, if Allah's will is to keep you astray. He is your Lord and unto Him ye will be brought back. (34) Or say they (again): He hath invented it? Say: If I have invented it, upon me be my crimes, but I am innocent of (all) that ye commit. (35) And it was inspired in Noah, (saying): No-one of thy folk will believe save him who hath believed already. Be not distressed because of what they do. (36) Build the ship under Our eyes and by Our inspiration, and speak not unto Me on behalf of those who do wrong. Lo! they will be drowned. (37) And he was building the ship, and every time that chieftains of his people passed him, they made mock of him. He said: Though ye make mock of Us, yet We mock at you even as ye mock; (38) And ye shall know to whom a punishment that will confound him cometh, and upon whom a lasting doom will fall. (39) (Thus it was) till, when Our commandment came to pass and the oven gushed forth water, We said: Load therein two of every kind, a pair (the male and female), and thy household, save him against whom the word hath gone forth already, and those who believe. And but a few were they who believed with him. (40) And he said: Embark therein! In the name of Allah be its course and its mooring. Lo! my Lord is Forgiving, Merciful. (41) And it sailed with them amid waves like mountains, and Noah cried unto his son – and he was standing aloof – O my son! Come ride with us, and be not with the disbelievers. (42) He said: I shall betake me to some mountain that will save me from the water. (Noah) said: This day there is none that saveth from the commandment of Allah save him on whom He hath had mercy. And the wave came in between them, so he was among the drowned. (43) And it was said: O earth! Swallow thy water and, O sky! be cleared of clouds! And the water was made to subside. And the commandment was fulfilled. And it (the ship) came to rest upon (the mount) Al-Judi and it was said: A far removal for wrongdoing folk! (44) And Noah cried unto his Lord and said: My Lord! Lo! my son is of my household! Surely Thy promise is the truth and Thou are the Most Just of Judges. (45) He said: O Noah! Lo! he is not of thy household; lo! he is of evil conduct, so ask not of Me that whereof thou hast no knowledge. I admonish thee lest thou be among the ignorant. (46) He said: My Lord! Lo! in Thee do I seek refuge (from the sin) that I should ask of Thee that whereof I have no knowledge. Unless Thou forgive me and have mercy on me I shall be among the lost. (47) It was said (unto him): O Noah! Go thou down (from the mountain) with peace from Us and blessings upon thee and some nations (that will spring) from those with thee. (There will be other) nations unto whom We shall give enjoyment a long while and then a painful doom from Us will overtake them. (48) This is of the tidings of the Unseen which We inspire in thee (Muhammad). Thou thyself knewest it not, nor did thy folk (know it) before this. Then have patience. Lo! the sequel is for those who ward off (evil). (49).

January 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  5. NEONwhip

if god made man in his own image, he is also a man.

January 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • Muneef

God made man from his Holy Spirit but not to his image as God has no Image...other than being of Light...

January 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  6. CatholicMom

Address of Pope John Paul II to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (October 22, 1996)

In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII had already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the doctrine of the faith about man and his vocation, on condition that one did not lose sight of several indisputable points.

A theory's validity depends on whether or not it can be verified; it is constantly tested against the facts; wherever it can no longer explain the latter, it shows its limitations and unsuitability. It must then be rethought.

Furthermore, while the formulation of a theory like that of evolution complies with the need for consistency with the observed data, it borrows certain notions from natural philosophy.

Pius XII stressed this essential point: If the human body take its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God ("animas enim a Deo immediate creari catholica fides nos retinere iubei"; "Humani Generis," 36). Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the philosophies inspiring them, consider the spirit as emerging from the forces of living matter or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the dignity of the person.

Read the whole doc-ument, google: Truth Cannot Contradict Truth Pope John Paul II

January 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  7. gerald

Or is it you that does not understand? Scientifically prove that you do. :). Is it irrational to claim that there are things which we do not and cannot understand? Is there a finite group of processes and scientific facts which are all understandable and provable by a rational man? Such a position seems foolish to me. Prove to me that there are not infinite processes and scientific facts by which rationality can grasp all? I highly doudt you can. In fact I know you can't. Seems like an argument for God. Gee rationality. It takes intelligent to comprehend the complexity and abundance of processes and scientific facts far beyond human ability. Yet you claim no such intelligence exists. That seems irrational to me.

January 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Reality

Rationality:

The Apostles' Creed 2010: (updated based on the studies of historians and theologians during the past 200 years)

I might believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created state of bliss called heaven.

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary.

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

January 25, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • gerald

Lame. Where's your proof reality?

January 25, 2011 at 9:34 am |