home
RSS
February 7th, 2011

Gay parenting takes off in the Bible Belt

By Rich Phillips, Senior Producer

Jacksonville, Florida (CNN) – Latisha Bines and Misty Gray cheered like any other parents at a recent middle school soccer game.

They're the two soccer moms in 13-year-old Darion Bines’ life. The women and all three of Latisha’s children operate as a family. And they've turned to their church for support, suggesting a changing face of the Bible Belt.

Data from the most recent U.S. Census shows that the South has the largest share of gay parents in the country.

“There are more of us coming out,” Bines said. “We’re feeling more comfortable about who we are. I guess it gives us more of a chance than back in the '80s, when you had to stay in the closet because you were ridiculed.”

Bines came out after having three children. She and Misty were joined as life partners in 2010 commitment ceremony. They live in part of the conservative Deep South, where many communities have not been receptive to so-called gay families.

“Gay and lesbian people tend to come out later in life, in those areas, which means they are more likely to have children from a previous relationship earlier in their lives,” said Gary Gates, a demographer with the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law.

Gates analyzed the data from the American Community Survey from 2005-09, which is administered by the Census Bureau. His analysis also showed that across the country, gay parents are more likely to be black or Hispanic than they are to be white.

According to the survey, San Antonio, Texas, leads the country in gay parenting, with 34% of same-sex couples raising children. That's followed by Jacksonville, Florida at 32%.

Read more about gay adoption in Florida.

Bines and Gray have lived in Jacksonville all their lives.

They say they’ve found that their sexual orientation and spirituality can come together and be welcomed in gay-friendly Jacksonville area churches that were once off limits.

“It was welcome. It was comfortable,” Bines said. “We’re lesbian, but our God still loves us, no matter what.”

Bines sings in the choir at the nondenominational St. Luke’s Community Church, which was firebombed three times in the 1980s, apparently because of its policy of welcoming lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender congregants.

The church's pastor, Valerie Williams, is a gay activist. She says church policy all about family acceptance, especially for children.

The goal is “acceptance of their parents and being able to be around other children who have the same makeup of families that they have,” she said. "God is love and that’s the God that we serve here.”

Some local congregations challenge Williams' approach. When word of Jacksonville’s gay parent ranking in the census began to spread, one pastor asked for everyone to pray.

Pastor Vaughn McLaughlin, of the Potter’s House Christian Fellowship, told CNN that the Bible does not teach or encourage gay relationships, which he says confuse children.

“A lifestyle of open, same-sex relationships, that can’t regenerate, that can’t produce, that can’t do anything,"  said McLaughlin, who leads a megachurch. "I find it to be over and against what I actually have found the truth of the Bible to be.”

“Marriage is between a man and a woman," he continued. "That’s the biblical premise for what we believe, for what we teach, and we’re gonna hold on to that.”

But at St. Luke’s, Williams defended the rights of gay people and their families to worship.

“The children are able to serve God , with their families, and not being judged by the person sitting in the pew in front of them… snickering, like, ‘Why do they have kids? Why are they here?’”

Williams has started a support group for the children of gay parents. There, kids can talk about problems they're dealing with, including discrimination, over a hot dog or spaghetti dinner and review their report cards with Williams, who is known by congregants as Pastor Val.

And for Bines and Gray, the church has been a welcome addition to their lives.

“It’s brought us together, structurally as a family,” Gray said. “And because of the recent death rates, the suicide rates for kids being bullied, it’s extremely strong for the church to be a factor in the kids lives.”

Gates, the demographer, and Williams said they believe a cultural or religious support system might allow people to be more honest about their sexual orientation on a government survey.

“People are more willing to indicate on these government surveys that they are part of a same-sex couple, even in the more conservative parts of the country,” said Gates. “It’s a sign of progress.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Florida • Gay marriage • Homosexuality • Houses of worship • United States

soundoff (1,055 Responses)
  1. Anit this

Here is the thing about being gay, they say they are in love, they bash religion. Okay, let's bring nature in it. If a guy loves his sister the same way gays love each other, why IS THAT WRONG??? At least the parts are there, and they are in love!

February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you attracted to your sister? Get some help.

February 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Brotherboy

You are clearly an id ee ot!

February 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  2. debbie

sin....by any other name is still sin.....why would we 'deliberately' keep on sinning once we recognize it as sin....and go against His manual on how to live (the Bible) deliberately. we shouldn't. which is why we need our heavenly Father's grace and mercy daily -loving a Holy God you wouldn't, i wouldn't think', what to mock Him and go against His will, especially those that 'do' know Him.

February 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't believe it's a sin.

February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Brotherboy

But DEB, what about the w e e n i e s ?

February 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • LJ

You do understand that there are many churches, pastors and Christians that don't believe it's a sin. It would help when you read the scriptures that you put it into historical context to get the true meaning. Most of the clobber passages are based on pagan rituals worshiping a pagan god, it has nothing to do with what is known about ho-mo-s3x-uality today.

February 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • stormsun

Which "manual" would that be? Before or after the church fathers decided, in their mortal wisdom, what was "really" God's word and what didn't belong in the Bible? Or do you mean after a bunch of human, on orders from that fountain of wisdom, King James, edited the Bible "to correct errors" in previous versions? We have a difficult time exposing lies today, when the people who make claims are alive and their actions and reputations can be examined. Yet how easily we accept the "word" of people who lived two or three thousand years ago, for whom there can be no fact-checking or way to assess veracity. What, there were no liars then? There were no religious charlatans and frauds like Jim Jones, David Koresh, and an entire list of people who have been exposed as manipulative con-artists...just in the last 50 years or so? "I had a vision last night" is not the basis to believe the speaker is revealing the word of the Creator of the universe, let alone making it the required basis for regulating society for the next several thousand years. Just my opinion...or perhaps it was an epiphany?

February 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  3. rick

Why is this news? If gay parents were singing in the choir of a traditional southern Baptist church or a pentecostal church, that would be news. But this is a group started in the 80s by a gay activist. This is invented news.

February 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So any church that hasn't been around since Jesus died isn't a 'real church'?

February 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  4. maryLand

I don't hate real Christians. It's just that aren't many on here. Real Christians try to be like Christ.

I wonder how some of you would have g ays live. You claim that one can't be ga y and be a Christian. So, what, then? Deny one's own s3xuality? Pretend to be straight? Marry someone of the opposite gender to whom you feel no attraction? Be celibate? Why, when you aren't? Do you really think ga y people can just change their orientation? How can you be so ignorant of the facts?

Would your God have created people who are ga y and then rejected them? What utter nonsense.

February 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • chris

Luke 9:23 – Jesus speaking

If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily,and follow Me.

Jesus calls us to go beyond what we feel

February 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then, because you are straight, it's okay for you to marry the person you love, have s3x and children, but if one is g ay, it's something he/she must deny him/herself the same? How convenient for you.

February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I notice you couldn't answer any of my questions, chris. Why is that? Do you think someone can simply change his/her orientation? Can you change yours?

February 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • chris

I deny myself in other ways, it doesn't only have to be gay people only. It never feels good to go against the flesh. Sure it would feel good to have a drink or 10, or to look up some n-a-ked people on the net, or go around cursing and swearing so I could fit in with the rest of civilization..... sure it feels isolating, sure it hurts to stand up for what you believe in ESPECIALLY face to face... But, we're called to deny ourselves, and I believe in God more than I believe in anything. I know that my way was winding me up in heaps of trouble.....Sure I get tempted to fall back into certain things, I get tempted every day, but I deny myself. I deny myself when I love my friends, when I try to love my wife as Christ loves the church... It's not just for gay people to deny themselves

February 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • chris

it's not that I can't, it's that I'm also studying and it took me a bit to type my last response. You didn't stump me.

February 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • chris

and Tom... God calls for a man to leave his mother and father and join to his wife, and the "two shall become one flesh" Man and man cannot become one flesh, woman and woman cannot become one flesh. It's only man and woman in the confines of marriage that can become one flesh as the word of God defines it.

February 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • chris

But anyway, Tom, I'm sure you have some good questions but I have to sign off. Just letting you know so you don't think I'm ignoring you. God bless.

February 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sure, you have all the answers, you just suddenly don't have time to post them.

Denying the very fabric of one's being, as one was created is a h3ll of a lot different than refraining from alcohol or p0rn, chris, and it's ingenuous of you to run away without addressing the central question I asked: when all the evidence points to orientation as being either partially or completely innate, how can a loving God see it as a sin?

I don't buy it, or your explanation of it. Never will.

February 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Big Lou

Tom; When you say all the evidence points to things being innate – what evidence is that exactly. I constantly see studies and evaluations, methodologies that come up with "both sides" of many things. First – too much fibre, not enough fibre, same numbers continually divulge different results. We only recently mapped the human genome. Yet how can we even now what that really means. What is really the baseline? Evidence cannot, and will not explain everything. Simply because we (humanity) are finite. Yet we see the universe as virtually infinite. While some absolutes may be be a "reality" (the earth is round; yet topologically it really isn't) how can we assume something is innate – or not?

February 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • chris

Tom, if your heart won't recieve it, it won't recieve it... As far as people being "born gay," they very well may be... That's the sin nature of this world.. I'm genetically pre-disposed to be an alcoholic. I fell into it for awhile. God gives us the power to overcome "the natural man" as the bible calls it. Nomatter whether or person is born gay or society makes them gay or whatever viewpoint people hold, that person still has to choose to do either what THEY feel is right, or follow God and His will.

If you don't take it in, it's entirely up to you. No one is going to force doctrine on you... I just type because you ask. And I don't "have all the answers," I get corrected in my interpretation of the bible all the time...I'm human, I'm fallable.

February 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  5. Stephanie

MAN AND WOMAN. Clearly stated in the Bible. Not woman and woman or man and man. This is what it was like in the days of Noah and God flooded the earth. I am also tired of all the comments directed toward Christianity. We know right from wrong and how God wants things to be and this is definately not it.

February 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's "definitely", dear. I don't take the word of someone who isn't educated on matters as serious as this.

February 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Brotherboy

You poor thing.

February 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • miranda

Problem is, that's a religious text. No religion in government. You did take government in school right? If the Bible told you that white people were superior and that blacks were made to be the slaves of the world would you ask that slavery be reinstated?
      Christians in that day and time did just that. They also didn't know how to interpret scripture. So you go on and let a verse or two keep millions of American citizens down if that makes you feel better. Continue to pick and choose your verses and versions. Ignore everything Jesus said. I mean, he's only the reason you call yourself a "Christ"ian.

February 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  6. Name*Tom

I am very open to any life choice but the bible is he bible and not to be updated by this world. it isn't just words of a preacher it is the word of god.
    For those who choose to think that way here is plenty of room for you in hell for me I feel sorry for you but will never stop loving you as a person. Just don't but on blinders and tell yourself you know better than god.

February 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  7. Brotherboy

Hey ya'll. I'm a decent guy, who happens to be gay. I am actually becoming more tolerant of that percentage of Christians (most) that insist I will be going to hell. Do I really need to 'become' someone else to be 'saved'?

February 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • John

No you don't have to change who you are to become "saved". All you have to do is ask Jesus to come into your heart and it will be done. That's it. Getting "saved" is the easiest thing to do. And once you are "saved" there is no way for you to go to Hell. No one is prefect. We all are sinners. You may change or you may not... it is your choice. Main thing is as long as you accepted Jesus and asked him to come into your heart you will all be saved.

February 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Brotherboy

John, wanna have dinner?

February 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  8. PhillyPro

First off if your silly enough to Believe in The Nonsense called Christianity....and then Be Dumb Enough to think you can go against one of their top rules...which says No YOU ALLOWED....then i hope hell is real....just so you can end up there

February 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • chris

you know...people talk about the negative comments of Christians, and how Christians want people to be "vaporized" for not believing in their viewpoints.....
      I don't want a single person to go to hell, I really really don't. I really wish that everyone would come to know Jesus. The athiests, however, tend to tell Christians to burn in their own hell, as this post does...... Athiests are the most loving and peaceful people?

February 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Observer

Atheists don't support people going to hell.

February 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • chris

see PhillyPro's comment, I see stuff like this all the time. Like I said, I don't want anyone to go to hell...that's not the Christian goal

February 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  9. puppo

I have a solution. Live and let live. Media leave them all alone. Churches don't bother other congregations. One of our most sacred rights is the right to be left alone. Everyone embrace this right. Let it go brother, sister. Let it go.

February 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • confused

i meant the latter occurs rarely....sorry.

February 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  10. Big Lou

This is just great – looked at quite a bit of this comment stream and I can't quite get over the tennis match in ideologies/theologies.
    Christian commentors trying to explain and persuade non-believers of the biblical word's veracity, the divinity of Christ, and the concept of saved by grace – when it was all received through an act and conviction of faith (a non-logical action).
    Then atheists trying to convince "believers" that they are wrong about their "faith" understandings through logic arguments.
    Both assume they are "right" because of their understanding at this point in time. And the arguments roll on an on like a merry-go-round. Nothing like a ride of circles.
    I know what I believe – I would be willing to discuss it if some would like – but name calling is not is not on the list. I may disagree – that is my right. It is others rights to believe what they believe. But I see nothing but the same old arguments – over and over. Is there a place to have a rational debate without the diatribes of insulting each other?

February 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • LJ

The reason this continues to be argued is the data has come out showing that ho-mo-s3x-uality is not a mental disorder, it's not a choice and it can't be voluntarily changed. Christians won't accept this data because they believe it contradicts their interpretation of the bible. It's that misguided interpretation they are using to block the civil rights of a minority, they want to block them from having families, from entering into marriage. It has been shown that prejudice and bigotry throughout history clouded the truth about this subject. It's going to take time to undo all that and educate people.

February 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  11. Sao

depressed and druged up? messed up in the head? long face? yuck!

February 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  12. dalis

I don't think that the same-s3-x parents are arguing that their parenting is superior to hetero households. But, if you are trying to adopt a child, you look at it like your home is superior to an orphanage, or the foster care system, and all the other places where people have abandoned children. BTW, those abandoned children were all created by a man and a woman...and no straight family came for them.

February 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  13. Pandora

I am tired of all the negative comments directed toward Christianity

February 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • T3chsupport

And others are tired of all of the negatives comments coming FROM 'Christianity'.
      It'll keep going around as long as it keeps going around.

February 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • 3Nirvana

Christianity, and religion in general, is a horrible influence on our species. It deserves every negative comment that comes its way (with room for many more well deserved criticisms).

February 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • confused

ok.....how about "Christianity is POSITIVELY bad for you?"

Lol....just kidding just turn the other cheek, you will fell better 🙂

February 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Big Lou

"Christianity, and religion in general, is a horrible influence on our species."

How about humanity being the worst influence on our species? We have been at war with each other since the beginning of time. We want something that someone else has – and as based on a 2 year olds reaction – go after it with a vengeance. Multiple reasons have been used, land use, ethnic cleansing, religion, retribution. Humanity needs to see itself for what its base instincts are and start to deal with them – Religion being a small part of the problem. But everybody wants to say they are "good" – are we really? By who's standards? Yours? Mine? Until we deal with the fact we need to change from the inside – then all the outside manipulations and appearances – don't mean a thing.

February 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  14. greenbird321

“We’re lesbian, but our God still loves us, no matter what.”

this is completely true. God IS the god of unconditional love, but the thing is...He loves us so much, it hurts Him when we become complacent, rather than changing those things in our life that separate us from Him, and addictions are one of those things.

February 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Anna

Addictions?

February 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

How is loving someone of the same s3x an "addiction" but loving someone of the opposite s3x perfectly fine?

February 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • pheeel

How does an imaginary being feel hurt , especially by two loving parents who happen to both be women ? It makes zero sense.

February 8, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  15. Religious sects

To the gay-phobes:
    Parents spend on average 2.78 hours per DAY caring for their children.
    Teachers and daycare providers spend an average of 5 hours per DAY caring for your children.
    Do you "know" the orientation of who is taking care of your children?
    Point is, you don't. It's more than likely they've been well cared for and/or educated by a gay person ... have your children all gone gay on you? Didn't think so.

February 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  16. T3chsupport

Sometimes I question my renunciation of Christianity. I even think about going to church sometimes.
    And then I end up reading things like this, and remember exactly why I left that life in the dust.
    Hateful, belligerent, willfully ignorant, judgmental, self righteous fear mongers. Sure, there are nice individuals, but as a whole, that's what Christianity is. Utter, shameful filth. These days, if I had to choose, I'd rather be a Muslim than a Christian, but I still prefer rational thought to any of those.

Oh, and by the way, if you read the bible, you'll find out that your god really isn't all that impressed with humanity. He wasn't back then (yeah, he admitted to a mistake), and I'm sure nothing much has changed favorably since. Sodom was destroyed because they were apathetic, hedonistic jerks who didn't care for those who needed it. Had that not been going on, then the angels wouldn't have been there trying to find someone 'righteous' (like Lot was even much of a keeper himself!), to justify not destroying the city, then there would be no allegations of attempted angel r-ape.

But hey, you just keep checking their eyes for splinters.

February 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • chris

maybe your problem stemmed from basing your faith off other people than basing your faith on your relationship with God.

February 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Tina

You say you renounce Christianity and then you use the Bible to prove your point. Hmmmmm.

February 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • T3chsupport

No no, the reason I left Christianity wasn't just because of the people.
      It was because I actually read the bible. Crazy, scary book for crazy, scary people.

February 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  17. Josh

Now, EnumaE, the bible says you must (literally) receive the love of the truth in order to be saved 2 Thessalonians 2:10. Romans 1:18-32 says that God has given everyone knowledge of the good and evil (see also Genesis chapter 3) that right and wrong are "manifest" in man. In other words, I don't have to prove to you God's existence. You already know what is right, and what is wrong, but God has blinded you, and has not given you the love of the truth. God exists through all your funny little chidings. Not one of them can annul his existence.

February 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • EnumaE

So you don't have any proof. Thought so.

February 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Josh

Does the blind man see? The proof is manifest in you, for you to see. The problem is God has blinded you, and you cannot see. You are too proud of your own ways to submit to the truth. You believe in a "truth" or "truths" made by the flawed minds of men. You pick and choose the truth as you see fit, just as I once did. I used to be an atheist, then an agnostic. I was a Christopher Hitchens, Bill Maher loving, God hating, proud, blind kid just like you (not that you are a kid, but that I am–not calling you a kid). I used to posit that God cannot exist because he didn't fit my idea of justice. I used to (just like you do now) posit that you cannot "knoooow" that God exists. Of course, all are proud of their own ways, and all are made blind (Psalm 58: "the wicked are estranged from the womb, they go forth from the womb, speaking lies"). So sure, I cannot show (prove to) a blind man (you) what is plainly there (God). So no, I easily submit that I do not have proof of God's existence that satisfies the mind of a natural man. "You must receive the love of the truth" (2 Thessalonians 2:12) You will not see God's existence without God giving you the love of what is true (his existence). "For it is by grace you are saved, through faith, and that not of yourself; it is a gift from God" (Ephesians 2:8). So, I guess that means you're right. I (a man/kid/human) cannot prove to you (a natural man (or woman) who has neither the gift of faith nor the love of the truth) that God exists. Only God can give you that.

February 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Josh

Correction: the verse is 2 Thessalonians 2:10, not 2:12. My apologies.

February 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • EnumaE

Seriously, if you don't have any proof you can just say so. You don't need to write a whole paragraph of excuses for why you can't build an argument for your claim.

February 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Josh

Did you read my whole reply?
      You wrote, "Seriously, if you don't have any proof you can just say so."
      I wrote (prior to what you wrote),
      "So, I guess that means you're right. I (a man/kid/human) cannot prove to you (a natural man (or woman) who has neither the gift of faith nor the love of the truth) that God exists. Only God can give you that."
      Just to be clear, I do not have proof that satisfies your flawed mind. Only in truth can the existence of God be revealed, and God must give you the love of the truth for you to truly believe in his existence. Neither my statements nor the statements of anyone else can convince a man to believing in the existence of the true God. The reason I write is because it is a commandment of God (2 Corinthians 10:3-5); I write for the sake of the elect, that they might be saved. Who knows? That could be you.
      I hope that's clear.

February 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • stormsun

Precisely what is the difference between your rigid adherence to a literal interpretation of the Bible, and the same degree of adherence by the Muslim world to their holy book? Looks pretty much the same to me.

February 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Josh

I neither add to nor subtract from the word–an act which is condemned by the bible in Proverbs 17:11, Revelations 22:18-19. They do. They confirm the Torah, which is a confirmation of the word of God, yet they both subtract from the word of God (everything after Deuteronomy (most of the bible, because they disagree with it)) and they add to it as evidenced by this book called the Quran. That's the difference.
      As far as the "degree of adherence" goes, that's hardly the issue. They can literally or loosely interpret the Quran–it's still wrong, as I've just proven to you by verses they would otherwise agree to if they actually believed the Torah like they claim to. If you're talking about Muslim extremists, see 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 which explains what the Christian war is, and you can see the wide disparity between a Christian war and the war of a Muslim extremist (perhaps even non-extremist) war (I don't claim to yet know how "jihad" is to truly be interpreted; I'll get on that). Also see Ephesians 6:17. True Christians are not violent.

February 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • JohninVegas

The evidence for or against the existence of a god will never be found anywhere in the present time or in future events. The survival of religious belief depends on that fact. It is only when we look into the past and study the archeological record do we realize this: Ancient civilizations used gods and religion to explain their world and its events, but always from the point where their science ended. As European civilizations merged and diverged their gods and religions merged and diverged also. Judaism, Christianity and Islam is just one example of this. As scientific discovery explained more of their world, their gods and religion continued to evolve or even disappear. The progression continues today. By keeping followers focused on looking for evidence of god in the present and future events, religion hopes you don't make the connection to the past.

February 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
  18. 3Nirvana

The simple fact is that anyone who still gets their morality from a bronze age book written by tribalistic nomads have no opinion worth mentioning on this issue (or any issue for that matter). Their stance is completely indefensible from any logical perspective.

February 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • JackoB

Let's just scrap all of Western Civilization and start over, then. Great idea.

February 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • 3Nirvana

Getting rid of a backwards belief structure and stultifying social influence is hardly "scrapping Western Civilization". Modern Christianity is a subset of Western Civilization, not the other way around. The world would be a lot better off if people shut their Bibles, Torahs, and Qurans and never opened them again.

February 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • confused

@jackoB
      he said bronze age, that is the exact opposite of western civilization. He is not comparing different people, just the same people at different stages of development. Good statement by 3Nirvana, i agree with what he has said.

February 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • John

Couldn't have said it better myself.

www (dot) godisimaginary (dot) com

February 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Nick

As much as I would like to agree with you, I just can't. Religion has a place in life if a person wants it there. And, frankly the bronze age comment is just a somewhat sad attempt to try to further vilify religion. Congratulations, you missed the mark by about 1200 years at the minimum. Christianity, who's book is the new testament, would have been established somewhere in the first century AD, Islam is about 700 years younger than that, and Rabbinic judaism, which is the judaism currently practiced, was also established somewhere around the year 0 ad/bce. I understand that religions have problems, but talking out of your a** to try to make them look worse just reflects even more poorly on you.

February 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • confused

meh! just because you throw irrelevant numbers doesn't justify this mumbo-jumbo. And if it pleases you lets call religion a stone-age ritual. The claims by religion are too fantastic and there is not a shred of evidence to back anything. In today's court religion would be proven to be a fraud.

February 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  19. tazzle

Heavensent: Huh???

February 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • colleen

I liked what the Pastor of The Potter's House said.

February 7, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • miranda

@Colleen- There's room under the pastor's rock, you should join him there.

February 7, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  20. Pandora

There are many expressions of religion, and the church in the article is supportive of their members, regardless of their orientation.

February 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm |