home
RSS
February 7th, 2011

Gay parenting takes off in the Bible Belt

By Rich Phillips, Senior Producer

Jacksonville, Florida (CNN) – Latisha Bines and Misty Gray cheered like any other parents at a recent middle school soccer game.

They're the two soccer moms in 13-year-old Darion Bines’ life. The women and all three of Latisha’s children operate as a family. And they've turned to their church for support, suggesting a changing face of the Bible Belt.

Data from the most recent U.S. Census shows that the South has the largest share of gay parents in the country.

“There are more of us coming out,” Bines said. “We’re feeling more comfortable about who we are. I guess it gives us more of a chance than back in the '80s, when you had to stay in the closet because you were ridiculed.”

Bines came out after having three children. She and Misty were joined as life partners in 2010 commitment ceremony. They live in part of the conservative Deep South, where many communities have not been receptive to so-called gay families.

“Gay and lesbian people tend to come out later in life, in those areas, which means they are more likely to have children from a previous relationship earlier in their lives,” said Gary Gates, a demographer with the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law.

Gates analyzed the data from the American Community Survey from 2005-09, which is administered by the Census Bureau. His analysis also showed that across the country, gay parents are more likely to be black or Hispanic than they are to be white.

According to the survey, San Antonio, Texas, leads the country in gay parenting, with 34% of same-sex couples raising children. That's followed by Jacksonville, Florida at 32%.

Read more about gay adoption in Florida.

Bines and Gray have lived in Jacksonville all their lives.

They say they’ve found that their sexual orientation and spirituality can come together and be welcomed in gay-friendly Jacksonville area churches that were once off limits.

“It was welcome. It was comfortable,” Bines said. “We’re lesbian, but our God still loves us, no matter what.”

Bines sings in the choir at the nondenominational St. Luke’s Community Church, which was firebombed three times in the 1980s, apparently because of its policy of welcoming lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender congregants.

The church's pastor, Valerie Williams, is a gay activist. She says church policy all about family acceptance, especially for children.

The goal is “acceptance of their parents and being able to be around other children who have the same makeup of families that they have,” she said. "God is love and that’s the God that we serve here.”

Some local congregations challenge Williams' approach. When word of Jacksonville’s gay parent ranking in the census began to spread, one pastor asked for everyone to pray.

Pastor Vaughn McLaughlin, of the Potter’s House Christian Fellowship, told CNN that the Bible does not teach or encourage gay relationships, which he says confuse children.

“A lifestyle of open, same-sex relationships, that can’t regenerate, that can’t produce, that can’t do anything,"  said McLaughlin, who leads a megachurch. "I find it to be over and against what I actually have found the truth of the Bible to be.”

“Marriage is between a man and a woman," he continued. "That’s the biblical premise for what we believe, for what we teach, and we’re gonna hold on to that.”

But at St. Luke’s, Williams defended the rights of gay people and their families to worship.

“The children are able to serve God , with their families, and not being judged by the person sitting in the pew in front of them… snickering, like, ‘Why do they have kids? Why are they here?’”

Williams has started a support group for the children of gay parents. There, kids can talk about problems they're dealing with, including discrimination, over a hot dog or spaghetti dinner and review their report cards with Williams, who is known by congregants as Pastor Val.

And for Bines and Gray, the church has been a welcome addition to their lives.

“It’s brought us together, structurally as a family,” Gray said. “And because of the recent death rates, the suicide rates for kids being bullied, it’s extremely strong for the church to be a factor in the kids lives.”

Gates, the demographer, and Williams said they believe a cultural or religious support system might allow people to be more honest about their sexual orientation on a government survey.

“People are more willing to indicate on these government surveys that they are part of a same-sex couple, even in the more conservative parts of the country,” said Gates. “It’s a sign of progress.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Florida • Gay marriage • Homosexuality • Houses of worship • United States

soundoff (1,055 Responses)
  1. meh_meh

he was put to death
    he came back from the dead
    he now wants your mind and soul.
    everybody he touches becomes brain-less.

hey that is the plot from "shaun of the dead". Jesus is a ZOMBIE!!! no way!!!

February 8, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • Anglican

Meh Meh. So pathetic. Live on.

February 8, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • confused

@Anglican..... oh oh please do comment on my next post as well. Took me some time to come up with it. On a more serious note, i am just pulling your leg man, take it easy. peace!

February 8, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  2. dalis

Great comments, Tom Tom! I just wanted to give a shout out for gay Christians. I'm a practicing Catholic and a lesbian. We can and do exist. Jesus knows who we are and we know Him.

February 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

dalis, all my Christian friends who know God and believed in the conditioning to be gay are celibate

Good for you if you learned this truth.

Amen.

February 8, 2011 at 2:09 am |
    • LJ

@HeavenSent they do not have to be celibate because saved ho-mo-s3x-ual couples can live according to the teachings to Christ. Their relationships can be blessed by God.

February 8, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  3. HeIsGod

At the of our lives, it is Christ will have the last say. He has made a way for us to know Him through help and guidance of the Holy Spirit. He is the best teacher one can have. Humans can mislead others and stray us from God, but IF we keep our eyes on Jesus Christ instead of man, we will have no doubt that we are being lead in God's path of righteousness. I don't judge anyone, but I will preach what saith the Lord. I have no power or word of my own. It is God's Word and Power that can set us free.

We all are without excuse.

February 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Oops, I apologize:

At the end of our lives.....

February 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Mark

I don't have a problem with saying that God is love. My problem is when that attribute of God becomes the exhaustive description of God.

What about his Justice or Wrath?

Ignoring his other attributes in order to accommodate tolerance is reckless and distinctly unbiblical.

Bottom Line: God is love, and much, much more.

February 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  5. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's pointless to bother with this. The Christian church can continue to reject gays; they'll still be here and their children will be here. They will eventually probably be able to marry legally. And the church will become less relevant as more people accept what some of you cannot–that gays are as much of God as you are.

February 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Big Lou

@ Tom – I am sorry you feel it is pointless. This is what I feel it comes down to – if I say something is declared as sin (according to my beliefs) – that automatically means that people are going to h3ll. That is not what I said (I do not believe that) – each and every one of us (gay, straight, male, female, all of humanity) commits sin- even if we are believers. I am not saying people who commit sin should be rejected (that seems to be what you think I am saying – it's not). That would not make sense if I am a Christian. Because as a sinner (though I may be blessed by Grace) I would then be going to h3ll.

February 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  6. Big Lou

That is where we do differ – with respect. I do believe that God is a righteous God. Though I definately do not declare myself to be any kind of judge – I am not qualified. I know there is sin. I believe there is sin that we may not want to call sin – but I will not declare that those that sin are automatically going to hell – because but by the grace of God go I. My determiner for me is having a personal relationship with Christ. Other than that the judgement is up to God.

February 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  7. Jenn

When is comes down to it, where in the Bible does it say to keep sinners out of god's church/ place of worship?

February 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jenn, here's just a few of His scriptures pertaining to your question ...

Matthew 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Mark 9:48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Mark 9:49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

Mark 9:50 Salt [is] good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

Amen.

February 8, 2011 at 1:51 am |
    • LJ

@HeavenSent That does not answer the question that text is about not giving into sins of this world, it's not about keeping the sinner from a church or a place of worship. Everyone is a sinner including you, so will you be cutting off your hand or foot soon? Of course not because Jesus died for those sins. Everyone who is saved is welcome in God's house and if they are not then that Church is corrupt. Yes, I am saying there are saved ho-mo-s3x-ual couples that attend churches and they are welcomed.

February 8, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • vb

Heavensent,
      When you go to church, do you still have all of your limbs intact?

February 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

LJ, those scriptures are spiritual. When a practicing Christian speaks about Jesus they are speaking spiritually, not carnally. Carnally, you as a non-believer do not know that Christianity is a whole congregation of believers, making up one body of those that follow Jesus' spiritual teachings. Those scriptures are saying, if one of your fellow members insists on living carnally, refuse to live in their ego, not humble themselves to follow His teachings, then cut them off. Throw them out of your community, until they regroup, give up their selfish carnal ways, repent, then comprehend truly why they want to come back to the community ... to continue to grow and learn in His teachings.

It's called tough love. The hand, foot, or other appendage is meant to be another member of the congregation that doesn't want to toe the line of spiritual living. We don't beg anyone to follow His teachings. We know that it will be the most positive way to live your life, but, everyone that comes to Christianity, wants to learn His spiritual teachings.

February 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

CJ, I typed too fast. I meant to write "refuse to release their ego" ... not ... refuse to live in their ego,

February 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • LJ

Heaven Sent if your reasoning was true then most of the churches would be empty today. There is no tough love in your comment only the absence of love. Our society is surrounded by things in their everyday lives that would fall in the definition of carn@l. I am sure it's in your life too. It’s atti-tu-des like yours that is causing people not to even want to step foot in a church or talk with a Christian.

February 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  8. Amber87

again that last comment was for the pipers son guy. i don't know why but this isn't replying my comments right....it may be my internet being weird. sorry.

February 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Amber87

woe that just landed on the wrong spot or page really....awe! sorry.

February 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  9. Bart

Biblical ignorance is deep here.

February 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  10. scienceman

LOL, you cited the Bible to prove the existence of God, just like I said you couldn't do. "God has blinded us from the beginning" What type of God blinds his people, only to make them unbind themselves by proving that they were blind? What type of God would deceive his people and then reward them for being gullible? When did faith become equivalent to goodness? Should we have faith that an ancient Egyptian surgery will cure our heart problems? Why not making the connection with God be love, caring, compassion? Why faith? How can anyone be stupid enough to put all their faith in something they can't see? Wait, I take that back, people fall for many scams everyday online.

February 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

scienceman, God gave us a conscious to nag us when we do wrong and allows peace and love to enter our spirit when we do what is right. What is right? The statutes of the Lord are right (Psalm 19:8). Why do you know the basics of the statutes of the Lord? Man (meaning women too) who lived before you ensured His truth to flourish. Scoff all you want at His truth ... but millions of souls who believed in God and spread His truth down from generation to generation lived on this earth before you were even conceived and His truth will prevail for all time.

Amen.

February 8, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  11. pasigiri

I find this all a big mess. It seems Satan has everyone confused at what a true Christian is. I seems, especially according to this article, we've been confused with other "religions". I'm not in the least bit surprised. Look I'm not here to argue with folks about God or Jesus. That would be a waist of all of our time. Besides, He can speak for Himself. I'm just here to deliver His message: God Loves all of us. He created all that is. But we messed it up because of our own sinful desires. God has rules and we broke them because of our sinful desires. God is enforcing those rules with physical and spiritual death. But to save us from the penalty of our sins, He sent His Son, The Lord Jesus Christ to die in our place as a gift to us even though we think He's crazy, untouchable, and even with some of us, believe He doesn't exist. This gift is free to everyone to accept, but you have to accept it in order to be saved from sin. Sin is the problem, Jesus Christ God's Son is the fix. Accept Him. Follow Him. Worship Him. And He will give you peace in this life and beyond this life (you WILL still die physically, but He's got that covered; it's called faith) even the midst of the storms. Turn away from your sins and follow Jesus.

I love all y'all with the love of Christ. And I pray and hope the Lord touches some one here on this board today.

February 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • YNot

Nothing you wrote has anything to do with the issue here.

February 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  12. stan James

Morwe people have been murdered in the name of God and the bibleS then any other reason in history.

we can see that from some of the posters., who instead of using the brain God gave them, suck up to some pastor who has to spill ignorance and yes hatred to fill the pews and his pocket book.

the same religioous culture that justifide slavery as per the bible, hated the Jesus own people the Jews, and now has a new victim to hate.

Thank god my kids either belong to gaya affirming and welcoming churches, or to no church at all. Sometiimes I think we are still living in the dark ages, where churches burned women at the stake as witches, to insure male dominance.

One would think some people would learn. But some do, and some don't

February 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

stan James, instead of believing the word of man (those that preach), try reading God's truth for yourself (the Bible). We will ALL be judged by what is in His letter to us (the Bible). Same with your children. Sending them to church is the beginning of learning His wisdom. Reading the Bible for yourself allows clarity of His truth.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  13. Jenn

So many are afraid of their mortality that they cling to anything that makes them feel special and superior hence religon/god/gods are born. I can't wait for the day that John Lennon's song "Imagine" comes true! I pity people who need a god to tell them wrong from right and to feel 'special.' Christianity and Muslims seem to all love to rob everyone else of peace and happiness for no good reason...then just cause it says so in their holy book. The heck with 'proof' how about FACTS for truths sake.

February 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Amber87

Here's a fact. Christianity does believe in peace and joy and love and kindness to one another. It's us human's, whom are imperfect, who twist and pervert things. You can't blame Christianity for something human's do. Yes, humans can be mean and vicious and judgmental, but Christ is not. I choose to follow Him not because I am afraid of death but because I have faith and trust that He is right and holy and the most powerful than whomever or whatever we can imagine.

February 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • chris

well...you can wait on John Lennons "Imagine," I'll wait on the revelation of Jesus Christ... We'll see what happens.

February 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jenn, John Lennon, as are all those that have left this life are back with God learning His truth ...

Ecclesiastes 12:1-14

1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:

3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened,

4 And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;

5 Also [when] they shall be afraid of [that which is] high, and fears [shall be] in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all [is] vanity.

9 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, [and] set in order many proverbs.

10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and [that which was] written [was] upright, [even] words of truth.

11 The words of the wise [are] as goads, and as nails fastened [by] the masters of assemblies, [which] are given from one shepherd.

12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books [there is] no end; and much study [is] a weariness of the flesh.

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • bob

Jenn,
      With all due respect, your statement is the very definition of failure.
      The bible lays down what is right and wrong, it is from God.
      Humans by nature are selfish. God have given us the choice to follow his good and true laws or our own selfish nature.

When men start saying what is good or not things don't end happily. Some people believe pedophilia is acceptable for instance, the very fact that it exists is testament to this. In a 'humanistic, survival of the fittest, eat drink and be merry because today might be our last' society, who are you, or any one else to tell them otherwise. They're having their fun, and then they'll die. the end.

I can, however, say that is wrong, because I have God's law which tells me so. A foundation on which to base my life. Of course just because I have this knowledge doesn't mean that I'm perfect in any way. Christians are just as evil (selfish) as every other human on the planet.They should however, be trying to be christlike (perfect). that is what God wants.

February 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jenn, for non-believers such as yourself, why don't you look at Jesus' teachings as the first book of psychology ... aka the healthiest way to live your life. That's as far as a carnal thinker can get to some of His truth.

If you ever figure out to go humble, come join us.

Amen.

February 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Catherine

The Bible says " the standard of the Lord standeth sureth".Anyone who wants to lay on this foundation has to follow God not a pastor who wants to increase the number of his congregation because of greed. The Bible is against Gay and Lesbianism point blank. This is the end time where people are being told what they want to hear and not the truth of the word of God 2Tim4:1-3. I am not saying the church should condemn gay/ lesbians but they should not bring them inside the church. This is an outright abomination to the Body of Christ. In every organization, there are rules and regulations that must be followed to make things work effectively. Our society is such that we have grown itchy ears, sight and perception;meaning we only want to see what we want to see; we only want to hear what we wanna hear, and we only wanna do what we wanna do. When a mango tree start bearing oranges do not say it is okay. It is strange and abominable.

February 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • LJ

The bible is not against gays and lesbian point blank. It's against pagan rituals worshiping a pagan god, it's against male pro-s-ti-tution and idolatry. It is not a sin, but passing judgment on others is.

February 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • stan James

What is abominable is christian hatred of another part of gods creation. its as simple as that.

Oh that I could put you in the same situaton as gays. I wonder then if you might sing a different tune.

February 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd rather they threw you out and kept the gays.

February 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • notmyrealname

Really. If I belonged to a church with people like you, I'd run as far away as possible as fast as my legs could carry me. What an awful example of humanity.

February 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • ScottK

"When a mango tree start bearing oranges do not say it is okay. It is strange and abominable." WRONG!! Its strange and delicious and most likely something you Christian folk would call a miracle.

Oh, and when you say "The Bible is against Gay and Lesbianism point blank." you list should also include... Pork, shellfish, tattoos, blended fabrics and many more. In reality it is your point that is blank.

February 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm |

Catherine,

Amen.

We should also remind them that in the last days which is the generation we now live in ...

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

February 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • cmxsmitty

Who cares what a 2000 year old book that has talking snakes and virgin births in it says about gay people?

February 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

LJ, the Bible is the word of God. He teaches all how to live a spiritual life so that we stay away from the sin. Sin is the carnal ways of thinking, believing and doing (abiding).

The gay lifestyle is an abomination to God. It is folks who blatantly living a carnal life. It is not spiritual living.

As for judging ... Judging Is Believing. God judges. Man (meaning women too) discern via Jesus' truth.

Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right? (Luke 12:57)

What is right?

The statutes of the Lord are right (Psalm 19:8).

"For the wicked [man without God] boasts of his heart's desire; he blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts." Psalm 10:3-4.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
    • LJ

@HeavenSent That is the belief you have been brainwashed into believing. There is legitimate arguments to counter the misguided interpretations that have been handed down by prejudice Christians. If you go back in history you would realize that up until past few centuries the original Christians did not interpret the text about s3x-ual orientation. Science and psychology has now shown the truth about it. The same types of truths that now showed it's ok to eat selfish, wear clothing made of different fibers, that women can have a voice, that owning slaves is wrong. The problem with closed minded Christians such as yourself is you are the abomination since you turn away from the truth God has revealed to us. The holy spirit is trying to point and inspire Christians to put down the prejudice and hatred that is causing so much pain to a minority.

February 8, 2011 at 10:41 am |
    • HeavenSent

LJ, you wouldn't know truth if it stood in front of you. Speak about being brainwashed. Half of your posts on this site is full of propaganda that you buy into it as fact, when it doesn't even hold water. Save your breath with trying to stifle Christian thinking. Who do you think you are, besides being a non-believer that stands for nothing in your life and has the audacity to twist and contort His truth!

Finally, the only thing you detest about my writings, is when I oust you non-believers and your propaganda baloney. All, because you refuse to give up your sinful natures. You're all a dime a dozen. I've heard the same arguments from other non-believers, time and time again (boring) ... all arguments, are none of your own thoughts, but the thoughts of other miserable non-believers that came before you.

February 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Magic

HeavenSent,

Your Bible is the most widespread piece of propaganda ever, the NT of which was contrived by and set in motion mainly by the delusional old curmudgeon and PR enterpriser, Paul of Tarsus, with the help of 4 other evangelical storytellers. Their efforts spread the popularity of the propaganda of the OT also. The words of a god - no.

February 8, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • LJ

I am not twisting anything I am putting the text into context. You are judging me on sinful natures and you are probably assuming I am gay and if you do then your comprehension is lacking. What you also fail to realize is I am using the arguments from ordained priest, pastors, rabbi’s regarding this subject. You can continue to believe you are right that is your choice but thankfully there are churches and Christians that don’t.

February 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  15. Michael

I live in Jacksonville and it's quite apparent that my city is becoming more accepting. Eventually, the conservative elderly will die off and the more socially liberal younger generations will vote in marriage equality, and start treating each other like human beings. 🙂

February 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Michael, I am young, I am a conservative democrat and the last time I looked, I'm still breathing.

So much for your babble baloney.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • Chapstik Lez

@Heaven Sent – I think your problem is that you are threatened that having lesbians steal all the girls gives you less of a chance of finding a girl of your own. Jealous much?

February 8, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Magic

Chapstik Lez,

Hmmm, I always picture @HeavenSent as a female... and her main problem is that she is brainwashed and off-the-charts delusional.

(I know that ad hominems are verboten - forgive me)

February 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  16. Chapstik Lez

I just love how people generalize. Its rather ridiculous and very sad.

February 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  17. Beezer

I speak as a Christian and a child raised by lesbians. I have no right to pass judgement on ANYone. I'll leave that to the Big Guy. However, it was extremely painful to grow up and live as a child with gay parents. To this day, I'd rather not have to explain my situation to anyone. I'm just saying folks should consider the impact on their kid. If they're willing to face what comes, including, possibly, alienation from that child, more power to them.

February 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, but I call BS. I don't believe a word of your post.

February 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son – Really, and who cares what you believe?

@ Beezer – My heart goes out to you. Many don't think that children being raised by gays will have an effect in their spiritual lives. I pray that you will be completely restored and healed by the Blood of Christ.

February 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Obviously, you do.

February 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son – The only thing I would care in regards to you is that you allow Christ to save your soul, that's it. But the rest, I don't care.

February 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • LJ

It's sad you are ashamed but there are kids that are ashamed of their straight parents too. Life is not perfect but I hope some day love fills your heart.

February 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • stan James

I think you are saying the kid took all kinds of s#!t for having gay parents. Well, gays should raise kids. this will help to break down stereotypes, and build acceptance for gay people in general.

Sir, you are giving up when the battle is more then half won. Most of America is ready to accept gay people. I do agree that marriage is a sticking point, but we all need to understand that the anti-marriage forces for the most part are designated as Hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law center.

The same group that led the way in destroying much of the Ku Klux Klan. Never, never give up is the point.

February 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • HeavenSent

stan James, who is "most people" you write about? Wake up. The propaganda posts on the net is a mere handful of criminals that refuse to give up their carnal way of life. Christians that read, comprehend and abide in Jesus' truth (the Bible) will never accept the CARNAL lifestyle. Carnal thinking, believing and abiding as a way of life is and always will be an abomination to God.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • LetsbeReal

I am sad you had this experience... However skeptical I am of your comments...I was raised by two men... Which is probably a little less accepted by society the lesbians. It was different but when you are a kid you just kind of want two parents that love and support you. Every family is different. Go seek some therapy, hate society more and your parents less It would almost be like hating your parents for being black in the 1800's. It's not their fault AMERICA is the only western modern country to have large issues with gays

February 8, 2011 at 3:41 am |
  18. redcatlove

bible written by men only inspired by god. today meny writers inspired by god why isn't what they write in a bible somewhere ? how can anyone be sure it was inspired by god not something else. what is written in the bible is seen differntly by differnt chruches so how can anyone take at face value?

February 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ redcatlove – Because Christ knew the heart of mankind, He did not entrust man for deliver God's Living Word without help of the Holy Spirit. It is ONLY through the Holy Spirit that we can be assured that the bible is the Word of God. Put your trust and your eyes in Christ, not in man or their word.

February 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • redcatlove

@heligod again though how can you be so sure whats in bible is truly gods word when lots of it was removed and rewritten that evil didnt get into the bible ? that the parts written after christ was gone are true? inspired can mean alot only going by what is being said by meny people changing it or seeing only what they want out of it how can you be so sure what you see in it is the truth?

February 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  19. Water to whine

I've read the Bible and I'm pretty sure Jesus himself never mentioned gays at all. His apostles did, but they are not Jesus. It seems to me that the son himself would've mentioned it specifically, if he had a real problem with it.

February 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • HeIsGod

If you look and read closely, it was Christ, God, who inspired He's Word. The Apostles did NOT preach their word, it was His Word....therefore, you are without excuse. You can not chose and pick which scripture you want to believe in.

February 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • YNot

Sure he/she can. You do it all the time.

February 7, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Water to whine

Actually I can choose to believe whatever I want. So, by the way, could the apostles. They were regulars humans, not the sons of god. Therefore they were prone to imperfection.

February 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Schuylermac

Furthermore Jesus never told anyone to write a book he told them to start a church. The only Churches that even have any historical connection to Jesus are the Catholics and the multiple denominations of Eastern Christians. Jesus came to destroy the law (the first five books of the bible), he gave two commandments and just like the Jews before him Christians have created laws to heavy to bear that they themselves cannot and they transverse land and see to make one convert (Africa) and make him twice the child of hell that he is.

February 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Schuylermac, what you wrote is NOT true.

The righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in those who walk by the Spirit.

Galatians 5:16 says,

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Those who walk by the Spirit do not fulfill the lust of the flesh. And what is the lust of the flesh? It is breaking the law of God. The deeds of the flesh are all contrary to the law of God, as Galatians 5:19-21 illustrates.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

All of these things are against the law of God. But, those who walk by faith, who walk in the Spirit, these are sons of God (Romans 8:14); and these are those who fulfill the righteous requirements of the law (Matthew 22:40; Romans 8:4; Galatians 5:14). They do not covet (Exodus 20:17). They do not steal (Exodus 20:15). They honor their father and mother, etc. (Exodus 20:12). They live godly lives as a result of their trust in Christ (Romans 10:9-10; James 2:14-26).

The laws in our country, as well as Europe and Canada are from God's written truth.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Gregory D. MELLOTT

The Spiritual focus is where our hearts need to be. Our pilgrimage through this world will always fall short of what is beyond the river. That said, I have to suggest that the Gay situation may be significantly man made. Likely even more than climate change is. Illicit drugs, meth in particular, alters the brain receptors in a permanent way. I asked several times on the internet about whether alcohol and illicit drugs were a factor in initiating such behavior and the response that best summarized the matter was, "Frat parties perhaps the most, for 'committed' gays not 'so' much." More study on the matters seems wise to me. Anyway, the bottom line in relating to gays is that we are 'forgiven our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us.' That doesn't mean forgetting the matter or not endeavoring to help matters come to a more natural order. As where it whole things gets thrown into the money mess of insurance. I lean to giving any children concerned the funds of such plans. Perhaps this might be a wise focus no matter what kind of relationship they have with the caregiver covered.

PS: Should illicit drugs and alcohol be a valid cause it is likely the one we can do the most about the quickest as far as eliminating it from being so. One might also note the if the parties concerned were younger, it would easily fall into the realm of legal concerns that the Catholic church is trying to address with abused minors.

Admittedly prescribed drugs also influence human's development. So they are not out of the picture either.

February 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • LetsbeReal

@helsgod "If you look and read closely,"

If you were to actually look and read closely you'd find that the bible is full of fantasy written in a time before modern science explained several things. Furthermore, the bible was written after humans created countless other religions passed down from generation to generation. Now what would happen if we were all just people flying on a rock, and we would treat people with love and respect.

February 8, 2011 at 3:31 am |
    • Sammy

So if I write a book and SWEAR that God inspired it, am I good to go?

February 8, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  20. krau0231

A scientific theory is a well substantiated explaination supported by facts and tested hypotheses. It is a framework that explains existing observations and predicts new ones. It is based upon testable and verifiable predictions

February 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm |