home
RSS
Secular student group doubles number of global affiliates
February 10th, 2011

Secular student group doubles number of global affiliates

By Katie Glaeser, CNN

An umbrella group for secular students says it has doubled it size in two years, with 250 affiliates in high school and college campuses around the world.

"We're witnessing a major shift in our society,” Secular Student Alliance communications director Jesse Galef said in a Wednesday press release.

Founded in 2000, the Secular Student Alliance represents "atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics, naturalists, brights, Pastafarians, and many others," according the the group's web site.

Galef attributed the growth to more areligious young people feeling comfortable with publicly expressing their ideas.

“We used to go out and find them," he said Galef. "Now, they're springing up everywhere and finding us, asking to join the movement."

Randall Bourquin, founder and president of the UGAtheists at the University of Georgia, says it’s important for young people to have a group among whom they can share beliefs - or lack of them.

He says the nonreligious youth demographic has long been neglected.

“I thought about doing something like this in high school," Bourquin said. "It was just so outlandish, I would have been ousted."

It took Bourquin until his sophomore year in college before he felt comfortable enough to share his atheism. Now UGAtheists holds weekly gatherings and volunteers for Habitat for Humanity builds.

His group sometimes partners with religiously affiliated groups on campus.

Bourquin said one focus of this group is combating negative stereotypes about atheists.

According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, a quarter of people under age 30 consider themselves atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular.

"Our movement will continue to grow and empower more students to improve their communities,” Secular Student Alliance executive director August Brunsman said in the group’s Wednesday release. “The question is not whether we can get a group on every campus, but when it will happen.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism

1. How To Make Money Online _ New 100% FREE Marketing System

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a very smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely return.

June 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  2. Cash system international

Affiliate marketers often neglect one aspect of website promotion to earn more money online. Do you want to know what this powerful method is? What would you …you don't need to be a computer whiz to do it!!

April 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
  3. @CarlTres

I am actually thinking of starting a chapter myself. For all the people who have commented and condemned it or don't understand it, it's really quite simple. Atheism/Agnosticism/Secularism has always existed, but most been ignored or suppressed. Now, we are finally having a chance to feel good about what we do or do not believe. These groups are not "another church" or "a religion of nonreligion", it's simply a group of people who want to know that they aren't alone. Kind of like fraternities or sororities. There's a sense of belonging to and being a part of humanity, and we want to help too. But volunteering and communicating is most effectively done as a group, whose voice is louder, and that is the purpose of these groups. No one is trying to convert religious people, although they are quite welcome, but it's just a place to go to know that you can be yourself. Isn't that what all groups should strive for?

March 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  4. Ryan

So, I'm curious. How long until these campuses become churches?

February 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  5. bettejodux

Oh my goodness, I found you. My name is Bettejo Dux, I'm a humanist. I live on Kauai. I'm sure you'll love my column http://bettejo.wordpress.com/ Come visit me. I live on Kauai. Have a poisoned pen and a sharp tongue. A kind's neat sense of humor, too. Scroll around. I think we're going to love each other, in a literary humanistic sort of way. Leave me a message and I'll tune you into the going's on on Kauai. Peace and love Bettejo

February 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  6. Tom Keener

John, I am interested i doing business with you. Take a look at what I do and call me.

Best Regards,