home
RSS
Baby boomers flood seminaries
February 13th, 2011

Baby boomers flood seminaries

In the 2002 film, “The Rookie,” actor Dennis Quaid plays a middle-aged high school baseball coach who tries out for a major league baseball team.

The movie’s plot line is now being replicated at the nation’s seminaries. A growing number of baby boomers are entering seminaries to take their last shot at fulfilling a lifelong dream, a recent article suggests.

Melba Newsome says in a Time magazine article that the nation’s seminaries are enjoying a baby boomers boom - the 50-or-older demographic group is the fastest-growing demographic at U.S. divinity schools, according to the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).

Seminaries tend to be dominated by the under-30 crowd, but the baby boomer group has surged from 12 percent of all seminary students in 1995 to 20 percent in 2009, according to the Association of Theological Schools, Newsome said.

Some of the boomers decided to enter the ministry after being laid off or  stalling in their careers, but some of their decisions go deeper Newsome said.

Maybe older divinity students – no longer saddled with their children’s tuition or big mortgages to pay off – are motivated by a newfound freedom to pursue their lifelong passions.

They include students include Patrice Fike, 64, who is using $100,000 of her savings from her career in pediatric nursing to enroll at the Episcopal Church’s General Theological Seminary in New York City, Newsome writes.

Fike said she was surprised to see so many seminary students who were her age.

It felt good to see so much gray hair.

The article said that many of the boomer seminarians thought of entering the ministry when they were young, but career, family and mortgages got in the way.

But, like Quaid’s character in “The Rookie,” they didn’t want to keep living with regret.

Fike told Newsome:

This is what I’ve wanted since I was 8 years old.

The article brought a question to my mind, though. In athletics, age is a liability.  Older athletes lose strength and flexibility.

But could old age equip people to be better ministers?

For example, how can a young minister who has never been married or had children or even lost many friends to death counsel grieving couples?

And might an older minister do better at dealing with the temptations of ego, sex, and money?

Is it better to be a rookie minister when you have gray hair?

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Education

1. Richard Rodriguez

You could contact mkitten@shc.edu–and not be disappointed, or mthibodeaux@jesuits.net

February 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  2. Richard Rodriguez

If interested, contact: pdeutsch@norprov.org

February 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Richard Rodriguez,
      The name Deutsch caught my eye right away. One of the holiest Priests we have ever known was Fr.T. Deutsch who is now serving another parish not far from us. It would be a blessing if all parishes could have a Fr. Deutsch! [We now love our dear Fr. Sunny, too!] As small as our parish is, we are most grateful to have our own Priest.

February 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  3. ReverendDollarBills

Anything for a buck. If you didn't already know the boomers were morally bankrupt, now you have more proof!

February 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

How does giving money equate to "anything for a buck?" If you think boomers are morally bankrupt look at what is going on now in economics and in people's behavior. In fact, what does "morally bankrupt" even mean to you or is it just an insult you read that someone else wrote?

February 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  4. OrionStyles

LOL, more like they are dodging ridiculous alimony and support payments. Take the vows and abjure yourself from finance.... the only way to escape laws that give incentive to liars who ruin the lives of people who actually work.

February 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  5. Richard Rodriguez

Seminaries are to prepare one to minister to the ailing world. Monasteries are more for the interior life. I would welcome people who are interested and qualified for either vocation. They could add some interesting perspectives that would move things along, or push things to a previous time..

February 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  6. Gary

Credibility is not in your person, what you look like, your age, not your married state, none of that matters in the least. The credibility is with God and his word. The word of God accomplishes the purposes for which it is sent, not the one who is sent. A pastor is a weak vessel no matter if he is fresh out of seminary or has thirty years under his belt. Having said that, there is pastoral maturity, and that only comes with time in the ministry. It is a sad commentary on American Christianity that people look to the man and not what he proclaims (assuming it is the word of God).

February 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Gary,

Jesus said that He was SENT by the Father; how was He sent by the Father?.........with power and authority.
      Jesus told the Apostles, ‘as the Father has SENT Me so I send you. How did He send His Apostles out into the world?.... with His power and authority.
      A pastor can only be as strong as the One who Sends him out.

February 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Gary

Catholic Mom. I believe that is what I said. Isaiah spoke of the messiah as one who was not esteemed. Jesus was not esteemed. They looked at Jesus on the cross and denied Jesus was of God, though in the weakness of the cross there was God's strength. Also, St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians3:7 "So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow."

February 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

For the most part, yes. However, the longer you have been alive the more information about what life is like you will have. Credibility in religion should come from "God" and, especially in the US, it comes from pastor worship. It a credulous thing based on the style of the preacher. Also, no one will find god if the teacher is not credible. It matters. Unlike the RC in the Middle Ages, most do not believe that the sacraments can be tendered by an immoral priest.

February 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • CatholicMom

CalgarySandy,

There is very little as precious in life as a holy Priest and we thank God daily for all the Priests we have had SENT to us. There is nothing as necessary in life as the Sacraments.

Sacraments are valid regardless of the holiness/morality of the ordained Priest who administers the Sacraments; thank God for having inst!tuted the Sacraments this way.

February 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  7. Squawker

To much of the above I can only say, "Oh, brother." How did a simple article on babyboomers entering seminary turn into such hatred. Perfect example why we need more people in seminary. Signed: A babyboomer!

February 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  8. phoenix

you get deep in bible study these are nt really humans like the book of genesis dictates more like an offshoot humanoid species, whatever turns you on.

February 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  9. El Kababa

I don't guess it hurts anything. Hopefully it will keep them out of bars, if nothing else.

February 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  10. Jims

Haha I laugh so hard when I see aithiests trying to say that people who beliee in higher authority are stupid, waste of money. The truth is your the foolish one. If you say that the computer just appeared no one created it, people would call you crazy and foolish. Ok now take the universe that is so much more complicated than a computer screen, and say that Oxygen Hydrogen, the sun, matter, mass, water, All the laws of physics all just appeared, I'm sorry your just plain crazy. And if you build your education out of what you read on a cnn blog well thats not such a great idea

February 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • El Kababa

That wheezy old argument (intelligent design) has been around since Darwin published his work. We can't say why the universe is here or where it came from. I doubt that old Yahweh is responsible. It the universe was created by some intelligence, you don't have the slightest idea Who, how, or why it was created.

February 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • lordpet

So your argument boils down to, "since we can't yet fully explain the origin of the universe, the only explanation is God." Sorry, you can't argue that because you don't understand how something happened that you understand it.

February 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Jims

Congratulations let me give you a prize for ignoring my point. I have not said who, I have not said why, if how as in a higher authority yes. Hahahaa the only explanation is that there is something bigger than us, you have blinded yourself from understanding lordpet. Look around you everything you see has been created by someone the universe is obviously just that. Your arguement that everything just appeared is more of a joke than it being created. Like I said if you believe that a computer just appeared people are gonna call you crazy. I

February 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • tallulah13

"Hahahaa"? Are you twirling your evil moustashe, too?

February 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • SB

Jims, your argument is a straw man. Constructing a universe is not like constructing a computer, and nobody claims that it is. If anything I would say that constructing a universe is rather like constructing life. It proceeds by attrition. The laws which represent this universe are mostly stable and effectuate the conditions for the evolution of life and therefore a conscious observer. Other sets of laws, or other values for laws, are not stable or do not develop conditions favorable to the evolution of life. Such universes would either not be observed or simply not exist. In summation any observer will only ever get to see the mostly stable conditions of its own universe and in that frame of reference physical laws will always appear to be finely tuned for its form of life.

February 14, 2011 at 4:43 am |
  11. RonD

It is arrogant to believe one can truly understand the religious beliefs of another.

It is rude to ridicule what one does not understand.

Rudeness and arrogance perpetuate ignorance.

February 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • El Kababa

But religious people ridicule and condemn the beliefs of others, threaten us with hell, tell us we are in denial, insist that we agree with their very quirky interpretation of the Bible, insist on having religious expressions in the public square (but would not tolerate the expressions of non-believers), want to censor movies, art, and literature, and generally use their religion to make others feel small and make themselves feel smug. Religous people can be very annoying and obnoxious when they get on their high horse.

February 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • CatholicMom

El Kababa,

There have been many an atheist who rode high on his horse until his blister broke….his pride in his own power, his self-worship, his disdain for people with other beliefs, all of which can cause him to come crashing down when he leaves religion behind and finds he still has a conscience to deal with.

February 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Maybe

CatholicMom,

My conscience tells me, "Do no harm". It's one of the reasons that I am hesitant to hurt other people's feelings by telling them that their beliefs in the supernatural are unfounded; but it also tells me that watching the spread of these beliefs and the harm that they do, and not saying anything is in itself harmful. Such a dilemma.

My conscience does not tell me about a god.

February 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • SB

CatholicMom, I know of no prominent atheists who have fallen from grace, but perhaps it's just a matter of time. In the mean time we can talk about theists who have fallen from grace. Lots of broken blisters there.

February 14, 2011 at 4:53 am |
  12. MagicDave

When I read the headline the very first thing that popped into my head was, "A full time job" with pretty good perks is the reason. The next thought was that it is an intellectually intense way to retire but the question of would a rookie minister be better with gray hair? Definitely yes. That said I might like to point out that while there are many that believe in a god, I do not subscribe to creations of mythology. Deity based religious dogma has been around for a very very long time. It predates The Dynastic Period of ancient Egypt. It wasn't until about 6000 years ago that monotheism came about. The belief in god is completely foreign to any logical explanation of life. The question about origins and how it must have been "god" have little meaning in reality. Who really cares? In the grand scheme of things we as humans are alive for such a minute period of "time" that it renders the arrogance of the "immortality of the soul" insignificant.

February 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  13. Liz in Seattle

Goodness. The vitriol in these comments is incredible. Your lack of belief is your choice (and mine too); their choice to believe is theirs. Live and let live. My mother went back to seminary in her 50s and though I'm not a believer I supported her 100% because I want her to be happy. Christians don't have a monopoly on tolerance and love for others.

February 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Ricky L

Most of the comments are in support of the seminary.....

February 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Zane

I only believe in "live and let live' when it does no harm to do so. Religion and the belief in fairy tales by people who run for office and pass laws based on Bronze Age values, school boards that want to teach nonsense to students, and in general promote an idea that holds human progress hostage should not be tolerated.

February 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  14. huf

OK...I hear all of you and your criticism of believers. But what if you are wrong? If I am wrong to believe then I am just another fool and only I get hurt. But if you are wrong....

February 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • El Kababa

If you are wrong, then Allah will send you to hell.

February 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  15. Ricky L

@Reality

Thanks for sparing the Deists.

February 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  16. Brandon

Such a waste of time and money. Was the thought process something like this: "Let's go spend $100k on studying something that's a complete fairy tale! But I have faith in it, so it must be real!" Christianity is nothing more than stolen Pagan beliefs, rituals, and holidays.

February 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • in seminary

you clearly don't know how much seminary costs

February 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Ricky L

Faith makes nothing "real."

That's why they call if "faith."

If you could "prove" it, you wouldn't need faith.

February 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • mark

I agree TOTALLY. With Brandon. RELIGON is a FALSE practice. Where u feel guilty for what u have done. The FIRST rule is to DUE UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO TO YOU.

February 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Mark,
      So let me understand you….you once believed in religion, a false practice, as you claim, and it had the power to make you feel guilty when you did something bad. So now, you don’t believe in those false things but you still feel guilty because you say 'all you need to do is ‘retained the rule’ of how to treat people' [you know….the love thy neighbor rule]….otherwise you will still feel guilty!

It is real hard to get away from your conscience, Mark, which was placed in your heart to help you get along with love for your fellow human beings.

February 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Zane

Spending money on seminary is no different and no more beyond ridicule then someone spending money on studying the little 2 inch lavender colored men that live in my sugar bowl.

Get over people, religion is so Bronze Age!

February 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • JesusisLord

Will it take a trip to h*ll to convince you? That would be tragic, friend. You've never been as scared as you will be then. So don't go that route. He accepts any sinner willing to repent.

February 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

It does not matter if you have faith and no one is trying to make you have faith. That is probably not possible. You are irrelevant as you are a destroyer and not a builder up. As for faith, most of those who have it believe that the stories and dogma have been proven. They are wrong, in my opinion but my opinion does not and should to be used to hurt people. I don't know what everyone needs to feel whole. I only know what makes me feel whole so I do not feel I have the knowledge to go around bad-mouthing people for doing what they need to "get through the night." There are terrible things done in the name of a God and there are wonderful things. There are worse things done by political and economic systems. I would prefer to work for a priest than the CEO of any number of large corporations. And I am an atheist. An atheist with empathy.

February 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • SB

CalgarySandy, I apologize, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. People _ARE_ forcing faith upon us daily. And not just we atheists, of course, but theists proselytizing to other theists as well. Door to door Mormons and/or Jehovah's Witnesses, pamphlets, television spots, the back of the bus I follow to work each morning (rather odd since I live in freak'n Seattle!). Very few religions do not actively proselytize. So don't close your eyes and pretend that it's not happening, or that it's not offensive or insensitive. It's all of these things! The rest of your argument is just a red herring.

I treat people with respect just like you. I pride myself on my ability to empathize. But I draw the line at positive claims. If you make a positive claim about your religion then I say it's open game for criticism. And why shouldn't it be? Just because it's part of a major religion doesn't mean I should censor myself to avoid offending someone. No one would ever stop me from criticizing a pseudoscience claim touting shoddy logic and little evidence, and yet we're looked down upon from people like you when we criticize a religious claim with even shoddier logic and even less evidence. RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATIONISM HAS TO STOP! I’m not yelling. I’m just being resolute.

February 14, 2011 at 4:19 am |
  17. David Johnson

@Reality

I really like what you post. Many times you show things that I have never heard of. You give me an education.

Thanks! And keep on posting!

Cheers!

February 13, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • CalgarySandy

I hope you are being facetious. Reality is not a good source of learning. He is not a scholar. Read the legitimate books on the subject. There are thousands of them to chose from. Or take a course or more in a University. He is just faking it with clips from Wikipedia and taking them out of context. He is just being obnoxious for the sake of amusing himself and suckering in the gullible or lazy.

February 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Zane

@Calgary Sandy:

Your attack on Reality with such vitriol surely shows that you are no atheist, just another believer trying to give your comments credibility. I doubt you have read any of the writings of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennet, Zuckerman, or even Dan Barker. They are the giants of Atheistic literature and there are many many others to choose from.

Religion is self serving, backward in thought, and outright dangerous. It's time that man gave it up.

February 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  18. Reality

Based on the following, the question is WHY are these people wasting their money???

Saving all those taken in by the Great Angelic Con Game:

Joe Smith had his Moroni.

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day dem-on of the de-mented.

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

Some added references to "tink-erbells".

"Latter-day Saints also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Apparently hallu-cinations did not stop with Joe Smith.

newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

"The belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all antiquity; pagans, like Menander and Plutarch (cf. Euseb., "Praep. Evang.", xii), and Neo-Platonists, like Plotinus, held it. It was also the belief of the Babylonians and As-syrians, as their monuments testify, for a figure of a guardian angel now in the British Museum once decorated an As-syrian palace, and might well serve for a modern representation; while Nabopolassar, father of Nebuchadnezzar the Great, says: "He (Marduk) sent a tutelary deity (cherub) of grace to go at my side; in everything that I did, he made my work to succeed."

Catholic monks and Dark Age theologians also did their share of hallu-cinating:

"TUBUAS-A member of the group of angels who were removed from the ranks of officially recognized celestial hierarchy in 745 by a council in Rome under Pope Zachary. He was joined by Uriel, Adimus, Sabaoth, Simiel, and Raguel."
    And tin-ker- bells go way, way back:

"In Zoroastrianism there are different angel like creatures. For example each person has a guardian angel called Fravashi. They patronize human being and other creatures and also manifest god’s energy. Also, the Amesha Spentas have often been regarded as angels, but they don't convey messages, but are rather emanations of Ahura Mazda ("Wise Lord", God); they appear in an abstract fashion in the religious thought of Zarathustra and then later (during the Achaemenid period of Zoroastrianism) became personalized, associated with an aspect of the divine creation (fire, plants, water...)."

"The beginnings of the biblical belief in angels must be sought in very early folklore. The gods of the Hitti-tes and Canaanites had their supernatural messengers, and parallels to the Old Testament stories of angels are found in Near Eastern literature. "

"The 'Magic Papyri' contain many spells to secure just such help and protection of angels. From magic traditions arose the concept of the guardian angel. "

For added information see the review at:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

February 13, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • ROC

And your point being that you don't believe – doing so does not make you right – There are differences between beliefs for sure – but the desire of these folks to deeply search for themselves is something you have obviously not done. Your argument is old, tired and filled with errors

February 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Chris

@Reality
      Funny how so MANY men for so MANY years found comfort in believing in "tink-erbells" and yet since you ALONE have grown old and your imagination has shriveled up and disappeared, you want to educate the rest of us. Did you yourself write the commentary about Angels on Wikipedia? I hope and pray that when GOD and his band of Angels (tink-erbells) make their next landfall, that you get a front row seat. Because you have no idea what you're missing out on!

February 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Sam

Why the preoccupation with angels? Christianity is NOT angel worship. It's not about doctrines and religions – those are man-made forms of worship. It's about relationship with the Creator God and His son Jesus Christ who taught that this life boils down to 2 basic commandments – loving God and loving each other.

February 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Zane

@ Sam: Your wrong, christianity is all about the doctrines and religions. If it wasn't for the bible which is doctrine, you wouldn't know about Jesus, his disciples, the letters of Paul, or any of the ideas that you have in your head about prayer, or the Trinity, or anything. You cannot separate the belief from the doctrine, it's impossible. Christians only say this when they try to refuse ownership of all the crap that their bible and their faith teaches.

February 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

Good grief you are ignorant. Did you cut and paste from Wikipedia to create this childish list that has almost nothing to do with dogma or practice? Angels are not important in Christianity even where they are accepted as having names. Most of that was apocryphal. Mormons, despite what they say, are not considered Christians by any Christian group.; which is not to say it is not a legitimate path to personal growth.

Even your blasphemy is childish. Ultimately, your take on religions is ludicrous. You do not appear to understand what people get out of it and what value it is and how it has evolved to over the millennial. I am an atheist who was raised in a right wing Baptist Church. I have studied theology and the history of several religions with an emphasis on Christianity. I would never be so arrogant as to say no one has the right to follow their own path and I am well aware of why they do. Your cliches are simply an example of the typical ignorance of teeny bopper trolls. Alas, the dying off of religion is probably the main reason for the cessation of decent behavior in the West. There is no reason to be ethical for losers if there is no punishment for behaving badly. The selfish need rules and few in our society actually care about the populace as a whole. While there is no need for a God for there to be evil in the world, the belief in God does produce better in the world. And yes, that tired old truism of abuses in the Middle Ages is true and we do not live in the Middle Ages. Furthermore, those abuses were created by a bureaucracy and a relative handful of idiots not by individual average folk. Some priests are pedophiles and so was my dad. Do we ban fathers because some assault their daughters? Most dads and priests are loving and do at least a half decent job.

I doubt you will study history and theology. I doubt you are even aware that you cannot truly understand art, literature and music without some understanding of religion. It is the, THE I say, strongest motivation for many things. Just another little troll with the personality of an arrogant sociopath who is disinterested in the truth because it means you have to work to find the truth. You are a loser not a scholar.

February 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Sam

Zane: Jesus got right up in the faces of the religious leaders and called them on their legalistic adherence to man-made doctrine because they were so caught up in their rules they were missing the point. It IS all about God's pursuit of our hearts and about our relationship with Him. Walking in love and living lives of integrity breaks down the barriers that man-made religion has created. Jesus did not come to create yet another religion – He came to bring reconciliation with the Father.

February 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • thes33k3r

Reality,
      Thanks for taking the time to engage ignorance. Religion is intellectual dishonesty....there is no way around it. Deists are the only religious group that even attempts to search for the truth....no matter what may be found. Theists don't want the truth.....they only want to look at "evidence" that supports their religious faith. I used to be a Christian and my search for truth forced me to abandon that myopic world view....one that I had been brainwashed into accepting due to where I had been born and my parents beliefs.

February 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Zane

@Calgary Sandy: You couldn't be more wrong with your claim " Alas, the dying off of religion is probably the main reason for the cessation of decent behavior in the West." America the THE MOST religious industrialized nation in the west by any measure, an we have the worst behaviors. Look at our crime rates in all violent crimes compared to the LEAST religious countries, (Sweden and Denmark). Religion does nothing to decrease bad behavior.

If you are truly an atheist as you claim then you really need to educate yourself with some facts.
      And before you tell me that I need to study history and religion, I have degrees in History and Anthropology

February 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Magic

Calgary Sandy,

This particular post by @Reality is not proffered as the be-all, end-all of anti-supernatural apologetics. It just highlights one of the aspects of unfounded magical thinking, which is the basis of so many beliefs. I like it.

February 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  19. tmatt

Of course, consider the seminary they studied - which is tiny and linked to a declining denomination.

The TIME piece urgently needed perspective from other seminaries including the nation's larger ones.

See this GetReligion piece: http://www.getreligion.org/2011/02/on-seminaries-time-ignores-the-obvious/

February 13, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  20. baldman

I entered seminary at the what I thought was the old age of 50. Praise God, the sources of crisis causing my bald head and many wrinkles lend themselves to degree of credability my younger counterparts have yet to experience and then come to terms with.

February 13, 2011 at 6:29 am |
    • Ricky L

More touching than ridiculing that which you don't understand.

February 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • N. MacE

I am leaning that way too. GOOD MAN !

February 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Frank

Inspiring. It is never too late to pursue your dreams.

February 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

There is a time for everything and a wrong time for many things. I come down like Thor's hammer on obnoxious Christians who are telling everyone they will go to hell. and ranting about how perfect in Jesus they are. It is more than obnoxious to do the same to gentle folks sharing their joy in having found a way that works for them. I have to assume that these people have no empathy and get a rush off being cruel and rude. Interestingly, this is the main trait of sociopaths and psychopaths. I wish there was a troll filter.

February 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • bailoutsos

So, if I find God, can I make millions like Joel Olsteen?

February 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm |