home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Faith Now • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Srujan

- Love love love!!! You are so good and so classy, Kelly. Beautiful poelpe. Each one is unique and fantastic. Love the one peaking through the cake stand. the one through the window is so so good. your colors are so rich, and real. I am your total fan.03/10/2011 8:50 pm

April 1, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  2. Don Johnstone

Well now, I have a reason to hate the little twerp too. Bad enough that so called grownups like Santorum spout this nonsense, now we gotta hear it from some pre adolescent brainwashed pop idol. Wonder where he gets these ideas from? Good job mom, you should be proud. As for the likes of people like Santorum, I sometimes hope they're right about one thing. Hell, I hope they all rot in it.

February 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  3. #$$$#$##

Thanks for your interesting article. One other problem is that mesothelioma is generally caused by the inhalation of fibres from asbestos, which is a very toxic material. It's commonly noticed among individuals in the construction industry who definitely have long contact with asbestos. It's also caused by living in asbestos covered buildings for a long period of time, Genetic makeup plays a huge role, and some consumers are more vulnerable towards the risk compared to others.

Furthermore, i believe that mesothelioma cancer is a extraordinary form of many forms of cancer that is usually found in those previously subjected to asbestos. Cancerous cellular material form in the mesothelium, which is a protective lining that covers most of the body's bodily organs. These cells typically form in the lining of your lungs, tummy, or the sac that encircles the heart. Thanks for giving your ideas.

August 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  4. civiloutside

I say give the kid a break. It's a tough thing for anyone to decide, much less a 16 year old boy. And if you actually read his quote, he states that while he, personally, objects to abortion even in ra-PE cases, he then goes on to admit that he does not have the experience to judge someone who's in that situation. I'm no fan of the kid, but I happen to think his answer showed a decent level of maturity and self awareness.

May 6, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  5. seabeau

The Liberals Moral Delemma,"Murder in Innocents(Abortion),and Pardon The Murderers",(Anti-Capital Punishment)

March 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  6. kathleen

The person that asked the question is the idiot. He is a little boy and really he does not get a vote because he can not give birth. This should not be discussed amongst men period. It is a woman's issue only! Men can not do what we do and they are not ultimately responsible for the child. Numbers do not lie, there are way toooooo many deadbeat dads for this to be a male issue in any way.

March 19, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Katharine

Thats not fair to the men who are not bad fathers, their are plenty of mothers who cant handle it too, just research all the mom who kill their children. I think it was a good idea to asked Justin because it is his age group that get abortions. It is not mens fault that they dont have to actually have children. If the man wants that baby i dont see why he wouldnt have the right to have a say in if someone was to kill his child.

July 5, 2011 at 4:47 am |
  7. Kai Price

Not so "cute" now that he hates women, huh?

March 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • student

That does not make any sense. He did not say anything about hating women.

March 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  8. elizabeth

Justin, the second that you have to carry a child in your body, you can have a say on abortion. You are a guy (or so I've heard); you will never have to deal with the long, painful, possibly life-threatening experience of childbirth. So do us all a favor and stop parroting off whatever your religion-obsessed parents say, and actually learn about real life. Oh, and next time a reporter asks your opinion about US politics, don't spout some dumba** remark about North Korea. My ten year old brother has more insight than you.

March 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  9. Paul

I don't get it – whats all this stuff always quoted from the "pro" crowd about the mothers body and her right to do with it what she wants? We're not talking about the mothers body – we're talking about the body inside it! Oh yeah the mother's body and life are impacted too of course – but this does not justify ending someone's life. Our life is the most valuable thing we have. Its the great evil of our age (abortion) – and most of us a blind to it.

March 16, 2011 at 2:28 am |
    • Kirsten

I agree 100% Paul. Therei s no respect for human life and I simply don't understand how anyone can not recognize an "embryo" or "fetus" as a human being. Besides the obvious, that abortion is snuffing out the life of a baby, people don't even realize the long term issues. Whether they belive it to be a moral issue or not, it is an economic issue. In Asian countries the econimies are suffering because they stopped having babies. Now the elderly are outnumbering the working and there are not enough people putting back into the system. The majority of the population is taking. It's a crisis. I hope people will start to look deep into their hearts soon.

March 16, 2011 at 7:29 am |
    • kathleen

oh shut up, the woman came first and there are too many deadbeat dads for you to get a vote Pauly, stfu

March 19, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • PraiseTheLard

I find it interesting that many of those who are against abortion are for the death penalty...

I'm personally against abortion, so I'll never have one !!!! (Of course, since I'm a male, I'll never be pregnant, either...)

It's a personal decision, and all others should butt out...

March 19, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  10. Robbin

I was raised in a christian home by a minister mother. At 16 I was outspoken against abortion. Then I grew up and realized the brainwashing I experienced as a child and reality are two very different things. I am now humanist and pro-choice, and confident in my beliefs - which are mine, not my mothers.

March 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Fields

Robbin:

I think you should listen to your Mom. Respecting life isn't being "brainwashed," it's the honest, moral and decent view to take. A mother's right to convenience does not supercede a child's right to life. Too many people think it's completely all about them, and their comfort. Sorry, life is about doing what's right, even when it's not comfortable or convenient. That's transcendent love. I am a woman, and I endorse this message!!

May 6, 2011 at 9:17 am |