home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Tom

And I care about Justin Bieber's view on abortion because ... ?
    I hate it when news sources print things that are just a waste of my time – especially because I am a reader.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  2. Brian's Mother

Justin Beaver and Jesus twiddle around with fresh shiit logs

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • soo...

You should see a doctor...

February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Christfollower

Do you suffer from Turrets Syndrome? I'm actually a little concerned for you.

February 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  3. OtherSilentBob

so when are you 'pro-lifers' gonna step up and help pay for medical care for pregnant teens? Or stand in line to adopt? Or pay for medical care for the child, food, shelter, diapers....etc.etc.etc.??

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Bob

Keep their knobby little knees together and they wont get pregnant. Maybe they need a dose of Justins parents morals and they would not have to worry about getting pregnant

February 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • epdemer

Bob,
      That is EXACTLY what Christian organizations like CareNet and Bethany Christian Services do now. Both are run, supported, and staffed by Christians who care deeply about these women who are dealing with crisis situations. I not only have given financially and materially to support these ministries, but I also offered several months of my time serving on a board for two locations before I moved.

Let me turn your question around: when are prochoicers going to step up and help counsel women who go forward with an abortion procedure? When are they going to help these women deal with the pain and anguish of the "choice" they made? Are you paying for their therapy bills, medication to help them cope or sleep, etc., etc., etc.?

Organizations like CareNet and Bethany Services, among many other Christian organizations, do that, as well. But, perhaps you just don't want to be bothered...

February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • logicgirl

Palin. Not Plain.

February 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  4. Bill D.

He's a pube, an idiot, and a bratty prima donna.
    Who gives a rats ass as on his views about anything?

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  5. Brian's Mother

Jesus sucks

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Be civil...

Brian's mother, I don't care what Jesus does with you after he finishes your gardening... please be civil.

February 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  6. Brian's Mother

Jesus still blows. Flag this one too.

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Sheesh!

You're a rude one aren't you?

February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  7. leonard

He is 16 and has no idea what he believes, what till he is 21 to ask those quiestions, at this time you get a kids answer that his mom and dad put in his head

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  8. Babs

what is he? a 15 year old boy? who cares. seems like a nice enough kid but he's got years of growing to do.

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  9. Brian's Mother

No need to worry about Justin Beaver impregnating anyone – he'll have to go though puberty first

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  10. Republican Conservative

I am against all abortion.
    I am against all welfare.
    I am for a Draft in the Military.

February 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Tea Bagger

I'm against gay marriage, but I think having illicit relations with blood relatives and barnyard animals is okay! A'hyuck.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  11. tt

good for you Justin...ppl its his opinion wheter u like it or not its what he believes...leave the kid alone cant believe some of you are adults...glad he is not saying what ppl wants to hear...always stand up for what u believe somn a 16yr old can teach some of you adults.

February 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
  12. woodshed

I never really liked Bieber much until now.....Way to go Bieb!!! 🙂

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Carla M

Funny my opinion hasn't changed, but hten I don't let the whims of famous people influence my thoughts. I prefer to think things though for myself.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  13. John

After you've had a baby, your opinion on abortion changes pretty quickly. It's a true miracle of life.

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Babs

Said John, the MAN that never was pregnant.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  14. Sam McInroy

What a jerk he must be to support the life of the fetus over the convenience of the mother. What is this world coming to when you can't trust an entertainment personality to toe the party line?!

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  15. Papa Kilo 15er

What a ridiculously STUPID article. This is a CHILD they're asking this question to, how could he possibly give an educated answer to the abortion question? Jeez, some news outlets are just really numbskulls in the creativity department. Hey, lets ask this kid, who is barely old enough to drive what (he) thinks about abortion. If it was a girl, there may be some sense to this, but for crying out loud, he's a boy. I think abortion is something that each women has a right to decide on, and NO ONE else.

February 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • george

Amen!

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Err..

What a ridiculously stupid statement! Age has nothing to do with someone's ability to hold an opinion. Anyone can research topics. 3 or 4 years makes little difference.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • What does age have to to with having an opinion numb nuts. I am glad he gave hisbut I believeyou should have kept yours to yorself. I did not thinkvery much of him and belived he was another flash in the pan kid singer but my opinion changed when he expre

Go Justin

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Bob

What does age have to do with it. You have made the stupidest comment that I have seen to day.You sir should keep your opinion to yourself. You obviously have no moral values and also see youself as superior to others. You appear to be another one of those people who think it is permissable to kill another human to cover a mistake.God bless you Justin.Your parents should be proud.

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Better informed

The problem with your statement Papa Kilo, is that Abortion is something that is much more front-of-mind in people of his age. Recalling when I was a tean-age boy, abortion was the expected result of getting a girl pregnant. Now with politicians believing that parents shouldn't even be consulted before a proceedure... dont' get me started there (I have two teenage daughters). Talk about an open door for treating girls as just 'objects'. Teenage boys no longer have to fear getting girls pregnant, cause keeping a baby is seen as 'her problem', not his. But, we do live in a 'as long as it makes you feel good society'...

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  16. keeth in cali

Awesome! He'll make a great Republican politician someday, and he'll probably turn out to be gay too.

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • dalis

He's for universal health care. As a pro-life liberal myself, let me say the prescribed party platforms make little sense, and people seldom conform to them.

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  17. tnb

His religious views are just that, HIS religious views. He's allowed to hold his own faith. What a concept. Btw, his views are not new, and not unique. Go toe to toe with the Catholic church if you disagree. By posting this article they are just trying to drum up business. Nothing like a good religious war to get business hopping.

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  18. mimi

Abortion has nothing to do with the decline of morality in this country...Place more blame on the perversion of evangelicals and priests, our, our so called moral "leaders".

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • John

I think there's a link between the decline in morality and the American waist size.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  19. Katie

Good Job Justin!

You are an American and you have a right to your opinion. Please stand by your beliefs. So many before you faught for your right to have them.

🙂

February 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • Warren

Actually, he's Canadian...

February 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Todd

Bieber is Canadian....doh

February 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Tim

Um, actually, he's Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Hartley

Actually Katie he's a Canadian

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Err..

He's actually Canadian, and has mentioned that he would never apply for American Citizenship

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • 3rd Grade Teacher

Faught? Learn to spell, fought f-o-u-g-h-t.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • tyb4

He's not an American citizen, he's Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • ummm...

Isn't he Canadian?

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Katie

lol Okay okay... Sorry I don't have Bieber fever haha

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • toby

He's actually Canadian, not American.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Evil Hollywood Liberal

Uh.....he's Canadian?

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Chris Greer

He's a Canadian! You moron!

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • me

Obviously, you haven't kept up on the Biebs, JB thinks Americans are EVIL, he's CANADIAN and won't ever become an American citizen. Read the previous stories this week.

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Katie

Ewww sorry, but I'm not a moron just because I don't know everything about Justin Bieber seriously... 😦

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Carla M

and as a Canadian, he has the right to make a boatload of $$ from any country he can. It's the American Way!

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Jim

He's Canadian

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Chris

LOL – Katie, he is Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Meagan

Justin Beiber is not an American. He is from Canada, has no plans to become an American citizen, and int he article, he calls America Evil.

February 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  20. God Did

didn't god abort his son..??

February 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Katie

For our sins he made the biggest sacrifice anyone could make. It wasn't out of selfish intentions that Jesus died. In addition, Jesus did not have to die on the cross, he chose to. How dare you compare abortion to our Lord.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • John

Nope, however people just like you did.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • geauxLSUtigers

That wasn't murder, it was called a sacrifice to redeem us from our sins. Murder is done out of hate and vengeance, Jesus' sacrifice was done out of love for God's people. Very different-

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • socalute

No, He didn't.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • bandgeek1

I believe that it would be a retro-active abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • bigc4unc

This is about the most absurd comment I have ever read on here.

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Sam McInroy

What a sorry pile of sawdust must reside between your ears. Jesus had a chance to live and make a huge impact on the world before he chose to forfeit his life for your soul. I wonder how many of the millions of aborted fetuses might have held a cure for cancer or AIDS or a solution to our energy problems or a cost-effective way to reduce global pollution, etc., in their inchoate brains? (I give these practical examples since the immorality of purging a fetus means nothing to you, evidently.)

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • God Did

all nice idea's, suggestions, explanations.....except....god orchastrated the whole passion play......you can call it a sacrifice if you want......god let it happen.......jesus sue couldn't do it on his own......he needed god to give the ok.......he needed god to cut his life short.........god made the call.......god pulled the plug.

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Choconet

Wow you clearly don't know what the word abort means! Here's the difference between abortion and willingly giving up your life. Also, the difference between abortion and a solider going to war to die. CONSENT! Jesus said "no man take my life, I lay it down" John 10:18. Jesus willingly gave up his life as a ransom for all of us. As a solider I enlisted in the US Army at the legal adult age of 18. I knew it would be dangerous I knew I could die, but I was willing to do it for my country and our freedoms. It’s about consent, a fetus or an embryo does not give his consent to whether they want to live or die. I mentioned soldiers dying in war because distracters like you also like to bring that one up. Both of these are non-issues having nothing to do with the innocent killing of unborn babies. Next time you want to distract from an issue at least make an educated statement.

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • John 3:16

So that one day you could walk with him one day in Heaven and so that you could have eternal life. In case you didn't know, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, they are three in one, The Holy Trinity. He made the decision (meaning they made the decision). Before you judge our God, how about some research first.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |