home
RSS
February 18th, 2011

Backlash over Bieber's view on abortion

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

In the video above, AJ Hammer from HLN's Showbiz Tonight reports that Justin Bieber is turning heads following a Rolling Stone article in which he talked about his opposition to abortion, even in cases of rape.

He told the magazine:

I really don't believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It's like killing a baby. [In the case a rape], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

The pop star has made no secret of his Christian faith over the course of his short career. In an article about his new 3D movie, "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never," Religion News Service asked if Bieber was becoming a "tween evangelist."

Scooter Braun, Bieber's manager and one of the film's producers, told the Religion News Service:

People will walk away (from the movie) knowing faith is very important to him. As a Christian, he's someone to look up to. ... When (fans) are getting the real person is when they can connect to that person.

Bieber told the Rolling Stone more about how his faith informs his career as a performer:

I feel I have an obligation to plant little seeds with my fans.  I'm not going to tell them, 'You need Jesus,' but I will say at the end of my show, 'God loves you.'

Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, is also outspoken about her Christian faith, regularly tweeting out Bible verses from @studiomama.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Celebrity • Culture & Science • Culture wars • Movies • Music

soundoff (2,810 Responses)
  1. Bob Treehugger

I'm curious on the opinions of the pro life/choice people. Why is so much energy and vitriol not placed on the destruction of animal life, habitats and environment..and what will your position change when man discovers life outside of the earth?

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  2. Mike

TM that was hilarious. Right On.

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  3. D

I love how the article links his disapproval of abortion to his Christian faith. Half of Christians are pro-choice.

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  4. Chris Greer

The lyrics and content of his music sure isn't Christ like. Just another person that can't accept the good that is happening to him without ascribing it to God.

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  5. John

People are dumb – this 'backlash' only serves to make him more popular. All news is good news.

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  6. Erky

Poor kid, it sounds like a bunch of stuff was put into his head before he reached the age of reason. Unfortunately all religions do this. I do understand his opposition to abortion, but I don't understand why this point of view can't be framed in secular terms in this country. You don't have to believe in a man with a beard sitting up in the sky, and some immortal soul being placed inside a fetus at conception to believe that killing a person is wrong. At what point do a bunch of cells become a person though.
    I don't have an answer for it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Tea Bagger

Justin Beaver is a total tallywacker who likes snuggling with men.

February 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  8. Gulp

I hear Mrs Bieber swallowed her potential daughter

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  9. MarkinFL

"[In the case a ra.pe], I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

His view on abortion is not uncommon and he acknowledges that it is a technical viewpoint without any concern for the mother/victim. He will NEVER be in that position.

The only really disgusting view I heard is that ra.pe happens for a "reason". What the heck does that mean?
    In that case abortion happens for a "reason" too.

February 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  10. Diogenes

Regardless of your views, this kid has moral courage to stand up and say what he believes, especially in a Rolling Stone interview. Finally a celebrity who is a role model with a little more depth than Lady Gaga.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  11. Chris

Katie,

Justin is Canadian.

February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  12. donna

To those who think that a male should have a say about abortion: You have a say- when you engage in the act that might result in a pregnancy. If you can't handle the fact that women have control over their pregnancies- DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR DNA. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. Don't whine about not having a choice if she gets pregnant. Take responsibility for your body and don't have relations if you can't handle the FACT that women control their bodies in this society- even when they are pregnant.
    Be mature and don't act like a victim if you are choosing to take certain risks.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • haha

Pseudo-logical arguments that run in circles. Don't give me your DNA if you don't want me to do what I want with it. Don't take my DNA if you don't want me to have a say in what you do with it. You sound like a 5-year-old that hasn't quite learned to share yet.

February 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • MarkinFL

When you can offer to go through the pregnancy fell free to "share".

February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • haha

I'm not saying there aren't obvious implications from pregnancy for both males and females. I'm saying most rational human beings that graduated kindergarten aren't so blatantly one-sided, and understand that complicated issues such as pregnancy aren't black and white or male and female. It's about what is between the two people in question (or isn't), not a dichotomized one-size-fits-all view of what it means to have baby.

February 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • donna

haha, In this country, women have legal rights over any DNA that a man gives her during relations.
      And in this country, men give up rights to decide what to do with that DNA if there is a pregnancy.
      Those are the facts. Any male who can't handle those facts, needs to be responsible for his own body, and not give someone else their DNA. There's nothing childish about that- expect maybe that it's so straight forward that a child could understand it.

February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • donna

haha: " It's about what is between the two people in question (or isn't), not a dichotomized one-size-fits-all view of what it means to have baby."
      So when is the appropriate time to discuss with your partner what to do with a potential pregnancy? Before or after you have relations?

February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  13. Crys

I really don't care whether or not I agree or disagree with Bieber. He at least has the courage to voice his perspective. I think it's always encouraging to see young people forumating their opinions rather than dodging questions. There's no reason to bash a person or give them a bunch of nonsense because he or she happens to have an opinion or belief. I think it's a lot better to just be open about faith rather than to sit on the fence or try to hide from it to not cause offense. I personally am not an evangelical, but there's nothing wrong with people on that path. Justin has his whole life ahead of him, and his opinions may very well change as he gets older.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  14. Walter n Mary

Biebsky just keep your mouth shut on social topics. You're not an activist. You are a cookie cutter pop singer who doesnt write your own music. you shouldn't be allowed to voice your 17 yr old not lived yet opinions.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Mark

I'm sorry to disagree. Why is he not considered an "activist" because of his view? I agree that he does not yet have much experience but that's for the reader or listener to filter. His opinion or view is just as valid as those who are pro-choice or pro-abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • Be civil...

Good one 'Walter n Mary' – please copy-paste your statement on EVERY Hollywood artist as well. Talk about a town with a lot of mouths with no clue about real life. Please start with Mel Gibson, Michael Moore, Demi Moore, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Tom Cruise (free Katie!!!), John Travolta, etc.... you get the idea.

February 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  15. Dan

Good job Justin. God loves you too. Don't be afraid to tell people that they need Jesus – He is the ONLY way.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • David

Glad to see you religious crazies have found your new jesus in a 16 year old cartoon character...

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • xactomundo

Yes, Justin, because our bearded SuperJew will banish all who do not love and praise him to eternal torment in a fiery wasteland. We Win!

February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  16. mark

who gives a damn what he thinks about abortion.

February 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • tmwsiy71

Who cares what this kid says about anything.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  17. Rock

Ive dropped off the swim team in my Snooki pond a few times and thank goodness she drinks so much

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  18. Steve the real one

Google Margaret Sanger (the founder of Planned Parenthood). She wanted to wipe Black folk off the planet. Guess who is having the largest amounts of abortions per capita! Evil roots = evil tree!

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  19. lacubanita

The article says 'backlash' over his views, I think 'admiration' would be a better word. He was raised by a Christian family and it shows. He is an amazing kid.

February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • David

Please...

February 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Seriously

Seriously?

February 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  20. MARY

Who cares what he thinks about abortion.
    We want to know if he's still a virgin? What do you guys think? Me and my friends can't figure it out.
    Fetuses become human at 120 days. The ancient Mayan calendar makes that very clear.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Somebody1994

That is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life: "The ancient Mayan calendar makes that clear." You abortionists sicken me. Get a life.

February 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • DTB

"You abortionists sicken me"

The best part about that is, most abortions are done by people who are actually against abortion.

Read the article "The only moral abortion is my abortion" It catalogues how many christian losers who are anti-choice, have abortions anyways because they're just cowards. Funny stuff.

February 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Chris

LOL, someone can't take a joke. And everyone knows fetuses aren't human until 18 years old.

February 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • MARY

So, you are basically saying you don't understand the Mayan calendar and the knowledge that it holds? Besides. I am not an abortionist. After 120 days is not acceptable. Before then, it's fair game.

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm |